Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
So, there wasn't a whole lot of detail in the previous version of the game -- Faith was a Runner. Runners moved stuff/messages around and the powers-that-be didn't like it. Now run around and have some sort of police-intrigue thing happen...

Seeing Faith on the ground and hearing more about the society that she's broken from in the gameplay videos is interesting. I hope that it's more fleshed out.

Yes, in the primary colors and shiny things game about running around, I want to see where they see a world where employment is compulsory not only by economic force but also force of law. I don't know what such a world would look like, how it would play out and I hope that someone has given it a good deal of thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i dont want to collect poo poo i want to run

There were hidden packages in the first game. That said, they seemed wrong and antithetical to the main game of Mirror's Edge.

I can totally see a corporate espionage parkour ninja game where you need to get into a place and steal/interact with a number of things before leaving -- preferably without being seen.

Not related to previous points: I hope there's an optional chase game mode where you lose security guys by outpacing them -- think NFS: Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit on foot with parkour. You learn the layout, shortcuts and where deployable obstacles are to slow down or stop pursuit.

Examples:
  • Detach a wire rope line and use it to swing across a street to another building that they can't reach.
  • Collapse a scaffold across an alley.
  • Detach a tension line after riding it.
  • Catch a ride on top of an elevator to quickly gain elevation and break line-of-sight
  • Drop down onto a commuter train

Heck, I don't know. I think there's two cool ideas there that we won't see in this game, but I still want to play this. Even enough to download Origin onto my gaming rig again.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

chumbler posted:

Having to buy dodge and parry in those games was also indefensibly stupid and widely called out as such. There's no reason at all to have gradual progression in this kind of game. It's bizarre that anyone would defend it, and if "It's been done before" is the best you've got I'm not sure why you're trying. Why bother putting in something like that that people are at best neutral about?

Depending on how much they lock out to start, how fast the upgrades come and such, it might play out like a tutorial and help people acclimate instead of just being thrown in with a whole toolbox full of things they don't know how to use. We'll have to see. And maybe there will be a new game+ so you can go back and clear the early missions ( they should really call them "runs" this time around ) using the crazy moves that you didn't have unlocked yet. That's basically how the first one worked without the unlock system -- your second playthrough you'd know that you could do crazy aerial-turn-and-kick maneuvers that were technically possible but not covered yet.

Again, we'll have to see how it goes in the beta and when the game comes out. Speaking of...

MinibarMatchman posted:

I just got the beta code this morning and will probably try to post videos/details of how it plays tomorrow, maybe it will be garbage, who knows but at least it will be rooted in some real gametime. Don't know if anyone else here has a code but they are sending them out today.

Yup, just got my code and also a "Friend" code.

Lacking friends in any meaningul fashion, I give the code to the thread.

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Edit: Claimed.

psivamp fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 22, 2016

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Kithyen posted:

Likewise.

Mirror's edge is still one of the few games I haven't retired. I even bought a second copy for pc when I stopped playing my 360.

I can't wait to get off work.

Oh poo poo, my wife will be out of the house when I get home! I might con my way into leaving work early.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The only thing I can think of is making it so you can still move more or less unrestricted with a pistol. I really don't know how they would make gun combat better in general. Having to put away and take out a rifle / shotgun / machine gun would ruin the flow.

I haven't had time to watch the gameplay video yet, though. Maybe they'll impress me.

I thought they completely did away with the use of small arts by the player this time around?

Beta is almost done downloading.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Fremry posted:

On the PS4, the cut scenes stutter to like 4 FPS. I'm going to wait for the inevitable 6GB patch that they are going to have to release in the first week before I buy it.

The game does need some love in the optimization department.

Cut scenes on my PC desync from the audio and the frame rate tanks. Also, there's some pretty fundamental problems with their asset streaming. Common assets like the electronics boxes that are all over the place leave memory and have to have their high-res textures read back a lot. The game looks great and when it isn't stuttering, plays quite well. I'd like the combat to be less mandatory, but they did seem to roll it in pretty nicely with flow-preserving moves. I will say that the combat does a good job of making you feel mobile and such.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Slate Action posted:

I've heard reports that the XBONE version has major framerate and texture loading problems. Hope you were planning to get the PC version!

The beta had those issues for me on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

I think the issue is that 'good' Mirror's Edge was actually the time trial modes but either market research indicates that gamers will never buy it without a stupid plot and XP pickups or someone at EA/DICE doesn't have the balls to say "let's just focus on the bit that works".

I spent 10 times as long in the time trial mode of ME1 as I did in story mode and there's still really nothing else like it out there. Deadcore is the closest I've played and while it still had enemies of a sort it benefited a lot from dispensing with poo poo like story and cutscenes.

I don't like time trial modes, but I enjoyed Mirror's Edge. I also enjoyed the beta of this until I ran out of non-time trial things to do.

I really hope there's an option to disable all of the social nonsense because I am asocial and don't need or want to see a fake quest thing to try to replicate some guy's crazy once-in-a-lifetime series of bunny-hops across a set of antenna tips every five steps.

The time trials in the beta seemed especially bad since you couldn't place waypoints well. There was one that the qualifying time was like 13 seconds and the highlight route was about a minute. I could get there in 30 seconds but couldn't even conceive of what route could get you there in 10 seconds for the 3 star time.

• Locked thread