Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
PC users: A modder has released a fix for the fullscreen-bug. Currently, when playing the game in fullscreen-mode, the game won't actually run at your monitor's native resolution. There's a more in-depth explanation here, but the TL;DR is that, due to a bug, the game will:
  • Render at the selected resolution (this is why screenshots come out looking fine)
  • Downscale that to the nearest supported resolution on your monitor that isn't in your monitor's native aspect ratio (you can see what I mean by looking in the Windows advanced display settings dialogue on a second monitor if you have one), and then
  • Your GPU or monitor upscales that again to the selected res.
To get the fix, download this file and extract its contents into your game's install directory: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_gui/nier_fix.7z

When you boot up the game for the first time after this, there'll be some diagnostics text overlaid on top of it; hit CTRL + SHIFT + O to get rid of it and it'll stay gone even after you restart.

More details from the modder himself: Link

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Once again, for everyone playing this on PC: A mod was released yesterday which fixes the fullscreen resolution bug currently affecting the game. I've written up a fairly detailed post about it on Reddit, which details what the bug is, how to install the fix, and how to deal with the most common problems that people are having with regards to getting it running. Click here for the deets.

I also put together a comparison gallery, to give you an idea of how the game looks before and after applying the mod (no spoilers, only screens from the first 10 minutes of the game): Linky

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
So here's a big spoilerriffic question: For PS4 players, do you need PS+ to find other players' bodies and receive help from them during the final credits? I've seen someone say that they tried it without being online at all,
and there was just no help available for that section.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

No ps+ needed for any of that

Thank gently caress someone bribed a few Sony Execs to make sure of that. In Bloodborne, you can't even read other peoples' notes without PS+.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

idiotmeat posted:

While it is forgiving from a timelimit perspective, mechanics wise it isnt. Randomly losing the ability to dodge is the pits.

The most fun is when it happens in the middle of a jump, so you fall all the way down and get to eat limitless quantities of poo poo

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
In case any of y'all are wondering where you've heard 2B's English voice before, here's a hint

"How could I forget my banana"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbNREEEx6ZQ

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jack Trades posted:

No way! Are you loving with me?

EDIT: Geez, apparently not. Good for her?

Yeah, it's a real case of "started from the bottom, now we here"

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Pollyanna posted:

How do I get up here?

Blanket platforming tip: Hold the jump button until you grab onto your pod, and then (while still holding it), hit light attack to do a cool spin kick which gives you some horizontal distance. Then you can hit jump again to do your double jump, hold it until you grab onto the pod again, and do another spin kick. Then, if you need more distance, do a dash in mid-air and you can grab the pod and do a third spin kick.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Vermain posted:

You can make that specific jump by climbing up on top of the building to the left of it, jumping onto the rusted-out transformer (?) at the top, and then use a combination of a double jump, a dash, 3-4 Virtuous Contract light attacks and your Pod's slowfall.

Spin kicks, yo. They're the absolute best way to get horizontal distance. E: I'd make a video showing it off, but I don't have a savefile anymore

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

sunken fleet posted:

I think it's my rig but I had the black bars around the edges of my screen the whole game, kind of frustrating. There was a fan patch that fixed it but when I used it I started crashing every 30 minutes or so - so I went back to having black bars on the edges of the screen. PC gaming boys and girls :shepicide:

EDIT: I am a dumb and didn't read. If you're using an Nvidia card, you can at least make the black borders go away by setting display scaling to "GPU" in Nvidia control panel. This doesn't actually make the game render at native res like it's supposed to, it just upscales the image so it fills the screen instead of being surrounded by borders.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 26, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It's a completely different thing.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

When/where does the trophy shop open up? Or is it our mobile shop friend who functions as that?

Also, other than the pipe and the pod is there anything else important you can get from fishing?

After you get your third non-joke ending, and no, I don't think so.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, end-endgame spoilers

They dead

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I feel really bad for everyone who's been having issues with the PC fan-patch. It completely saved the port for me - fixed the fullscreen resolution bug and made it run better thanks to the global illumination setting. The modder recently updated it to feature a better frame-limiter than the one that comes with the game, too.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Gerblyn posted:

So, I just finished ending E and I feel like my brain has been put through a blender. Although the gameplay itself had some weak spots, with regards to concept and story this is probably one of the best games I've ever played. Also, one of the most intense. I'm gonna go play Dark Souls3 now to calm down.

You should play the original, if you have a 360 or a PS3. Gameplay and quality-of-life wise, it's a lot rougher around the edges, but I think the character dynamics work much better.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Pollyanna posted:

What does the "Ht" "Lt" stuff mean for weapons, and does it matter which weapons I choose for my light and heavy attacks?

How many hits are in the heavy and light combos.

Pollyanna posted:

Also, is there a trick to hunting down specific materials, or is it just typical grinding? I'm looking to upgrade Ancient Overlord, but the mats just aren't dropping or spawning.

Eventually, all weapon materials will be available for purchase (except one weapon needs beast hides, but just kill some moose and boar for that). Otherwise, equip a Drop Rate chip, and if you're far enough in the game to have unlocked the merchant that sells them (they'll show up in the resistance camp at one point), buy the chip that makes items automatically get picked up like money, so you don't have to constantly stop-and-start to pick them up manually.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Papercut posted:

Can I set the framerate to 144 and does that gently caress with the gameplay in any way?

No, it's capped at 60 - it was developed primarily for a console that's used with 60Hz displays. This is just in terms of making the game run more smoothly.

While I was looking for a post with more detailed info, I found out that the modder in question also seems to have discovered why the cutscenes are so stuttery (they're pre-rendered and run fine if you extract them and view them outside of the game itself). So it's only uphill from here.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's been known since the PS4 Demo that the cutscenes are pre-rendered though so it's an issue with their playback on PC, for whatever reason.

Quote from the guy who made the PC mod/fix I was talking about :

Kaldaien, on the Steam forums posted:

Full Motion Video stuttering problems appear to have been completely eliminated by switching the framerate limiter from Sleep to spinlock.

I really get the impression that console developers don't know the first thing about multi-tasking operating systems :-\ Don't use Sleep in the render thread! =P

And about >60FPS:

Kaldaien posted:

No, people cannot easily turn down settings to increase FPS.

The engine hitches much too often for that to actually work, there's a practical ceiling not much higher than 60 FPS where CPU overhead is insurmountable and no amount of setting lowering will fix.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Incidentally, the reason for the white screen bug on PC is that the game's engine doesn't know how to respond to driver crashes. Occasionally, your GPU may push itself too hard and cause a driver crash - most games know how to recover from this and reload the driver, so you barely even notice anything's happened. This one doesn't, and so if it's happening often for you, the only real solution is to turn down your GPU's base clock to avoid the issue.

:captainpop:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Unfortunately you can't do the same thing as with the Metal Gear Rising pc port and just delete the 25 gig fmv movie folder for subsequent playthroughs because unlike Revengeance the engine won't simply skip the missing videos seamlessly but frequently has scripting break and just softlocks permanently. :(

The FMVs don't contain any sound - the game plays them and syncs them up with the sound manually. I know sometimes the background music or some sound effects from the gameplay bleed over into the pre-rendered stuff, but surely that could just be played on top of the sound that's contained in the movie file itself.

Japanese developers and PC ports, man.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I really don't think thats a "japanese devs" thing, that's how video containers with multiple audio (language) tracks work generally when played back dynamically.

That's what I'm saying though, there are no audio tracks in the FMVs at all, it all comes from the game's other resource files where (presumably) all the other sounds and voices and music for the rest of the game are stored.

Vermain posted:

Square-Enix has a really hit-or-miss history with console ports.

Squeenix published it, Platinum developed it. Different studio.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think the only upgrade materials that I need that I haven't seen sold anywhere are the pristine screws and beast hides. Everything else I've been able to purchase at one point or another.

I think the traveling merchant has pristine screws in one of his loadouts after you get the third non-joke ending. Either that or it's the amusement park robot.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Oh, i misread that then, my bad.

I'm hoping they'll manage to iron out the pc port's technical issues people have - that obviously suck on every level and are inexcusable - sooner than later, though i don't know what SE/Platinums track record on (caring about) this is. Hopefully ~~180k owners on steam are enough to set their priorities straight.

They've said they are "aware of the issues and investigating", but on the other hand, everything apart from the white screen issue and the occasional stutters have been fixed by the FAR mod. Obviously those are still sizeable issues, and even though I've had a relatively pain-free experience (three crashes over ~58 hours of play), that certainly hasn't been the case for everyone.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Augus posted:

Oh my god that soundtrack cue in the (Route A spoilers) BECOME AS GODS boss fight. :allears:
Keiichi Okabe is the man.

I KNOW!!!

That song had been playing in my head ever since I saw the trailer where they first used it, and when it rolled in... aaaaah! SO GOOD.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah same here. I just want them to address and fix the growing perception of this being a somewhat risky port ASAP so people can get turned off the game by actually designed dick moves instead of technical issues. :twisted:

When stuff like this happens (company releases iffy PC port, modder(s) immediately swoop in to start fixing it), I have to wonder why they don't just contact the modder and offer them some contract work to help fix up the actual official product. IdolNinja fixed the SR2 PC port, and he got hired by Volition or THQ or whoever it was.

Dias posted:

I really shouldn't have to run it at 720p on a 950 when Witcher 3 is perfectly playable on 1080p, or at least I don't see anything that would hit performance that hard in this game.

Have you tried installing the FAR mod and fiddling with the Global Illumination setting that comes with it? Some people have reported fairly chunky performance gains from turning that down one or two notches from the game's default.

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 26, 2017

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Dias posted:

I installed it but didn't have the time to figure out WHERE exactly I should be fiddling about, hehe.

In the menu that pops up when you hit CTRL + SHIFT + T, there's an option labeled "Nier Automata", it's under there. I think changing it in there resets when you close the game, but he might have updated that. The mod itself actually searches for updates when you launch the game, which is nifty.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The only thing that's permanently missable is a joke ending related to an optional superboss. Just play the game, yo.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nina posted:

Day One editions are really the default editions these days. So it's highly unlikely until it goes on an actual sale someday

Square Enix currently has box copies of the Day One edition of Final Fantasy XV for sale in their online store right now

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HenryEx posted:

Is there anything i can spend money on in this game? I bought all the weapons and pod programs i could find, and upgraded all weapons to min. lv3, and i still have like 1.5 mil sitting around at the third ending.

Go talk to the bobbleheaded tutorial lady in the resistance camp.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Latest version of FAR fixes cutscene stuttering on PC. Shine on you crazy diamond, Kaldaien: http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HenryEx posted:

What's that wandering shop exactly?

Take a good look at your map next time you're around the city ruins (map markers are dependent on vertical positioning, so you gotta be about level with the normal ground of the ruins before it'll show up.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

HenryEx posted:

Oh yeah that one. It's more City Ruins than Resistance Camp so i was a little confused.

Once i got the email notification to hit up said shop, i went there and bought all weapons. On any subsequent visits, there were only some lame chips or heal items on sale though.

The inventory cycles out - each location he pops up in has a number of possible loadouts. After getting a third non-joke ending, he'll have a chance at having all the rarest weapon upgrade materials for sale.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Nina posted:

Wait I remember hearing about that before the game came out but I never even found it. What's it called

IDK what it's called but it's sold by Devola & Popola. Said merchant also sells the best quality-of-life chip in the game, the item auto-pickup chip.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Speculate with me (Big Spoilers): If 2B's job was to kill 9S whenever he unearthed the glasses from They Live, then does that mean by extension that 2B has known about the humans being dead the whole time?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ghostinmyshell posted:

Durante is now working on the PC version. I might double dip on the PC version if he can pull off some miracles.

I know this is a bit late, but Kaldaien has already pulled plenty of miracles with FAR. He fixed the fullscreen resolution bug, replaced the frame limiter with a better one, allowed for potentially massive performance increases by allowing players to tweak the quality of the game's Global Illumination, and fixed the cutscene stutters.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Jean-Paul's name is beeped out in spoken dialogue because they had to change his name really late into development (he was originally named Sartre). I've heard it had to do with some copyright poo poo, but I don't actually know. So that's one mystery solved.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

gmq posted:

Last night I got Ending A in the first Nier and I was wondering, is Ending B different or the same with more context? I just beat Gretel again and I'm not sure if getting to know the sad backstory of each boss before I kill them is worth it.

It's different, but not majorly so. Getting the last two endings (which are absolutely worth it) will require you to get any weapons you might be missing, and then mainline the second half for a third time (it only takes about an hour and a bit if you speed through it). Then you save outside the point of no return, and you can go in and get one of the last two endings, reload your save, and then get the last one.

This is back when Cavia still existed, remember.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

And I still don't know what's up with the dozen giant emil heads in the desert.

Find every single weapon, upgrade them to level 4, then head to the shopping mall. All will be revealed.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MMF Freeway posted:

I got ending E with like 65% and I'm kind of at a loss as to where to look. Do any weapons come from sidequests?

A bunch are hidden in sneaky places within the world, two of them are found with the scanner (one of which is in a completely nondescript area in the desert), some are in one of the traveling merchant's rotating loadouts, and a couple more are a bit more roundabout. Honestly just look up the weapons page on the fextralife Automata wiki if you want to go for it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Maxwell Adams posted:

They never actually say what YoRHa stands for, do they?

"Yo, Real Hot androids"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The hacking tracks are a first press bonus in Japan, so probably gently caress no.

Squeenix's EU store specifically said they were included when I ordered the soundtrack from there.