Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I think the thing the game mainly failed to sell me on was that 2B was romantically interested in 9S, when it looks more like she's his older sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

2B is literally the only person that ever mentions emotions being prohibited. Even when dealing with the commander 9S clearly shows emotion and doesn't get repremanded, so it's supposed to be more like 2B combed through the YoRHa book of guidelines to find some reason not to interact with him.

Also, her interactions with 6O show it's really obvious 2B actually does care about other people and will break her demeanor on occasion so she doesn't entirely lose contact with them. This is actually very similar to A2, thinking about it.

Zerilan posted:

It's pretty obvious by like halfway into route A that 2B has some sort of feelings or attachment towards 9S particularly and that "emotions are prohibited" is less of a rule that YorHa androids actually follow than it is a mantra 2B repeats to keep herself detached.

It's obvious she cares about him when he first loses an arm and leg trying to take out the goliath in the very first section of the game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Except there was no character previously. It was like "hey remember unfeeling murderbot? Well actually she did have a personality and this was what it was." There's nothing to subvert, it's not a twist, it's just inserting the character several hours too late to be engaging.

If you see the scene of her trying to save 9S (which is in the first hour of the game) and think of her as unfeeling murderbot, then that's kind of on you. I understand and agree that more of her character should have been seen while she was alive, but even without playing past route A it's still clear there's more going on with her than not feeling anything.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 9, 2018

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I wouldn't call A2 tough either, considering as soon as Pascal talks to her she immediately gives up on killing every machine ever. She's a person who really really wants to be tough, but cares too much about others to truly become heartless.

(Just like 2B)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

If all you're going to say is "They didn't do a thing" and not explain it, then I wouldn't really call that discussion.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Zerilan posted:

"Nothing machines do have meaning" is basically to 9S what "emotions are prohibited" is to 2B. Something that is technically YorHa's position on something, but primarily repeated by 9S/2B as a personal mantra to keep themselves focused on the job despite conflicting emotions.

I'd say one of the failings this story has is that these is no real conflict with 2B and 9S doing nothing with Pascal's village. Considering they're explicitly told to kill every machine they find, they're just blatantly going against orders and that never really leads to anything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Nier Automata is an ARPG, not a character action game. I have no idea why people compare it's combat to the combat in actual character action games

Because it was made by Platinum Games, a company entirely known for making really good character action games. This fact was even advertised before the game came out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

More like reskinned Revengeance, which was already on the PC when this game was announced. 2B even had some of Raiden's animations in the initial trailer (though I forget if she still has them). Above all things I was very disappointed that at no point does 2B put a sword on her heel and do a barrage of kicks.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

I really don't see why that means it should be judged by the standards of a genre that it doesn't belong to

When they advertise the game as being x, people play it and find out that it is not in fact x but is in fact y, I think criticizing it is fine. Figuring out that the game is not in fact a character action game is a realization, not something that's obvious from the start.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I still prefer thinking the Watcher's influence has just evolved to the point that they're essentially part of the machine network as some sorta virus or whatever.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I feel the same way. I feel like a dead Pascal would help no one, a memory wiped Pascal would be essentially the same thing (maybe a repeat of what he already did), but a living Pascal may be able to start over and learn from his mistakes. I realize learning from mistakes is distinctly something the machines as a whole don't do, but considering that was a part of the network and A2 destroyed that anyway, he's not really bound by those rules. I find it really boring to say he can't learn anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Deleting the save seemed totally against the whole point of ending E. Your pods just risked their lives to ensure a new world could be made, and deleting it just puts another soldier out there to fight a never ending war against the creators of the game. Doing so would literally just put everything back at square 1.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Begemot posted:

The game says the former at the very end, but I insist that the latter is correct :colbert:

Well you don't call them auto-matons, so it should be the latter.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

To be honest I want whatever next game Yoko Taro makes to be completely unrelated to any of his previous games. I feel like they've stretched this world as far as it can really go, especially when the direct references made to the first Nier (other than Emil and the twins) didn't feel like they were really necessary.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's the main one I was thinking of, yeah. Attaching project Gestalt to anything that happens in this game adds essentially nothing because things are so disconnected from it that it doesn't matter. The first Nier had connections to Drakengard, but this isn't mentioned anywhere in the game except for loading screens you may not even see, and it's more of an Easter egg than anything else. Here it felt like sirens were going off, telling the player that yes, this is in fact a sequel to Nier, even though they already showed us both Emil and the twins.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I see nothing wrong with liking genocidal assholes in a series like Drakengard

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Beelerzebub posted:

Is it worth it to play the Drakengard games and Nier before playing Automata?

1 and 2 are straight up terrible and 3 is a serviceable but still below average game. You're better off reading the LP of the first two, and maybe the third if you don't wanna sit through a mediocre hack and slash. They will tell you essentially nothing about Nier though. It adds some explanation for the backstory, but the themes of the two are entirely different from the Drakengard games.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I might even like the music in the first one better.

I can't even think of the two as separate soundtracks, it's really more like a double sized super soundtrack to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I’ve been sitting here for 20 minutes trying to decide what to do regarding (third play through/route C spoilers) Pascal’s request to take his life/erase his memory/3rd option: abstain and walk away. Jesus Christ.

A lot of people don't like it, but I feel like just leaving was the only option I could take. Killing him and erasing his memory are the same thing as far as I'm concerned, and a Pascal that's alive and remembers what happened could do things for the better in the future. He's the machine lifeform version of Anemone, and she definitely seems glad she didn't die when she wanted to.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Drakengard 3 is explicitly not the same as Nier, you shouldn't play it expecting the same sort of feeling going in. It's also not a very fun game so going easy mode is the right call. Though if you don't like Mikhail, you might just be evil.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Drakengard is all about terrible people doing terrible things, so you just have to have some fun with it. It's not like Nier where you are supposed to immediately sympathize with the characters, or really feel bad for them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The only way this game needs grinding is if the player doesn't realize they can dodge. Really, ignore the stats and the chips, you can spam dodge the entire game and not have a problem.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Boogalo posted:

RE: lategame Pascal am I the only person who walked away without doing anything?

No, I did it too. My thought was that if he was still alive with the knowledge he had, he could potentially still help machine children that still exist. I didn't want to assist someone in suicide, and erasing his memories is essentially the same thing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

2B never struck me as anything but an adult, which is why I did not buy that there was anything actually going on between her and 9S. It was a failing of the story to be honest.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I used an older gaming laptop and the game did not run very well at all on my computer, even with the Far patch. I would say in your case, it probably wouldn't be a very good experience.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Drakengard 2 is one of the worst games I've ever finished. Don't be fooled by it technically playing better than 1, you are still fighting endless numbers of enemies with really lame feeling weapons, you just happen to have two special moves as well.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Nebrilos posted:

I have some questions about Nier. Is this the right place to ask them? Severe Nier and Nier: Automata spoilers.

What is pre-transfomation Emil? Is he a human? A Replicant? Something else?

Do Replicants age? If a Replicant like Fyra dies, but their Gestalt remains intact, will the Replicant just be remade?

Why do Devola and Popola help Nier gather the keys to the Shadowlord's castle if they don't actually want him to meet the Shadowlord?

Androids have to obey humans, yet Devola and Popola do not obey Nier when he asks them to stop barring his way. Do they not view him as human?

Pretty sure Emil is human, though heavily hosed with to the point of being something else.

Not sure about replicants age. I guess it would make sense if they didn't, but at one point Nier directly tells Popola she looks the same as when he first met her, which would imply he's used to people aging.

Pretty much nothing Devola and Popola do in the game makes any sense when you think about their goal (getting Weiss to fuse with Noir to help the Shadowlord) and that's just another thing they do that's against their goal. It sort of sours me on the narrative as a whole really.

I would assume that yeah, they don't consider replicants human. I think at one point you even see a shadow refer to itself as a real human.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The problem with Automata's combat was that for all the cool stuff you could do, there was basically no reason to ever do any of it, since the enemies were so simplistic. Platinum made the animations really cool and flashy but in the end, it didn't really feel like one of their games.

Astral Chain felt like the evolution of Automata, though it was also pretty awkward to play. A shame the story was so forgettable.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

You can also just stand on the boxes shooting the orbs and that makes them break. I accidentally skipped a few of those rooms' gimmicks because you can just ignore them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I feel like Replicant has higher highs and lower lows than Automata, which makes them hard to compare. Replicant/Gestalt have a better main cast and a bigger emotional pull (I really did not buy 2B and 9S' dynamic as romantic and that killed it for me), but the actual story has big holes based on the characters being stupid. Basically none of the plot would have happened if Popola went against her mission, and Noir acted Obviously Evil for no real reason. These don't feel like characters going against their fate, it just feels like they wrote in a twist as a gotcha without making sure it made sense. Automata didn't have this problem, but its main antagonists were pretty flat.

Gameplay wise, so far I'm actually preferring the combat in Replicant to Automata, simply because of how it's billed. When I went into Automata, I was expecting it to play like a Platinum game. 2B and A2 control like characters from a Platinum game, but nothing else in the game is designed around that. It also had a terrible leveling system. In the end it felt like you were way overpowered compared to the very simple enemies, and it felt frustrating. Replicant on the other hand is just an action rpg, like Drakengard 3. Feeling overpowered is just how these games go, and it's not really trying to wow you with the combat.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Drakengard 2 is the worst game I've ever finished (the main story, once, there's no way I'd do the rest). Don't let anyone convince you there's anything decent to be found there other then like one cutscene you can watch on youtube. Late game it has some pretty cool designed enemies, but these were later outdone entirely by later games, so there's no reason to go back to this one.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So I missed out on the red bag guy sidequest at the beginning of act 2, will I get the chance to do it when I get to the B path? I am assuming all the other side quests will still remain complete, so hopefully that's all I'll need to do.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I still kind of prefer the dad Nier version simply because while brother makes a lot more sense narratively, putting a grown man in the same position is more interesting to watch. Dad Nier is more world weary but still wants to see the good in people because of his daughter. His interactions with Weiss feel more like two adults debating rather than a grown man talking down to a kid who doesn't pay him any mind. Kaine's where it becomes pretty off and brother feels a lot more fitting, but you can kind of think of her as what Yonah could become if he wasn't around to take care of her.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The first Nier has higher highs and lower lows than Automata, and a better cast. Automata never gets into eye rolling territory like the first one did for me, but it also failed to connect with me in the same way as far as its main cast.

I do think Replicant has the better combat though, because it delivered what it promises. The game never pretends to be anything other than an action rpg, and that's all you ever get. Automata has the phantom pain of being designed as a character action game, but the design surrounding it (level system and enemy design) don't mesh at all with it, so it ended up feeling really unsatisfying.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Drakengard 2 is probably the worst game I've ever played through. The combat is apparently "better" than the first game, but masking X and occasionally using a special move against thousands of enemies with no other gimmick was total garbage.

Drakengard 3 was a game that's hard to really describe. In some ways I actually prefer it to Automata in both combat and story, but it is definitely a much shakier game as an entire package. Also playing it at any FPS higher than like 20 is just not Drakengard 3, so I don't think it should be ported.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Drakengard 1 and 2 are more like musou games, wheras 3 is just a basic level based action RPG. They really don't share much gameplay design between them, you don't even get to ride the dragon during ground combat. It's not particularly good combat, but it at least has the decency to not have its core design be based on tedium.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Flytrap posted:

Of the three, Drakengard 2 is the closest any of the 3 gets to being an actually good and functional game. It's also the one that missed the point that the others are going for. 1 and 3 are trying to say something, 2 they just said "Make a Musou" and then they did. It's a dang good one too honestly. 4 characters and all of them are tightly made with satisfying kits that reflect the character.

I've never actually played a musou but if this is the case, that is pretty dire for that genre.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Automata has really fun, smooth action with staggering amounts of depth. It just doesn't have a combo meter to tell you how well you did, or much demand for the highest levels of play, so it's easy to ignore most of the time.

You can't see any of that depth because the enemies die before you get to do anything. I felt pretty unsatisfied with Automata's combat since there were puzzle pieces to a puzzle that didn't actually exist. I actually prefer Drakengard 3's combat because it knew what it was, just some nice animations and simple enemies.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

While Automata has a story that doesn't fall apart the second you start thinking about character motivations (Devola and Popola make no sense in Replicant/Gestalt for instance), the original Nier just has a better cast. 2B and 9S really just don't have that much going on, and they barely ever banter in a way that felt engaging. And really I have to say, I did not really buy the romance angle at all from them. I spent the entire first half of the game thinking it was basically doing a Nier situation, with an older sister and little brother. Then they try and make it more than that in ending A and B, and I just never really bought it. The supporting cast, other than Pascal, just didn't hit as hard for me either. Compare Anemone and the camp to Nier's village with Devola and Popola, the latter just has so much more charm to it. I will say that everything to do with the machine lifeforms (except maybe Adam and Eve) was far better written than everything with the shades, though. They're basically what hold up the game for me, in the end.

It is hard to beat the Nier/Weiss/Kaine/Emil dynamic, and it didn't really feel like Automata even came vaguely close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

2B and 9S have a lot going on between them, but most of it is only visible in hindsight, after the last big reveal. It's a tension that suffuses just about every conversation they have, and that explains a lot of otherwise confusing behavior.

Just in case anyone here hasn't finished...

2B's actual designation is 2E, and her job is to murder 9S whenever he asks too many questions. It's why you get things like the weird mix of her treating machines with way more empathy than 9S, but telling him to stop being stupid when he asks if they have feelings, or her being deeply impacted by 9S not remembering the prologue, despite them having just met.

Also, while 2B and her pod don't get into Weiss style snarky banter, there is someone who 042 just constantly mocks for being an idiot, and it's great.

They have something going for them and all, but when actually going through the story they just aren't that interesting to listen to, and it ends up being a lot less fun or interesting. There are a few things that make more sense in hindsight, but I really wish they had actually had like, any real conversation at all during the game.