Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Momomo posted:

The fact that this series keeps continuing feels like we ended up getting the Bad Ending in this world and now Yoko Taro continues to torment us.

I am ready for this game though. Not even he's sure why Square keeps giving him money, but I'm glad they do.

All three drakengard games are legitimately terrible and there's somehow three of them. Nier's okay so it getting a sequel at least makes SOME kind of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Terrible to PLAY, sure, but they are a wonder to experience.

(well, maybe not 2)

They're kind of funny but in a South Park way that doesn't really hold up. Speaking just about the actual Dakengard-named-Drakengards it's not like they're that well written or anything.

I mean Drakengard was one of the first games I ever played so I have a nostalgia for it, but it's really not that great.

e: I liked Nier at first but when I found out it was a Taro Yoko game I basically got to predict the rest of the plot so I'll give it a B-. :v:

Oxxidation posted:

I'll say right now that this is a dumb opinion to hold.

Their Activision games were provided with limited budget and tight deadlines and they only assisted with programming duties for Star Fox. Platinum hasn't developed and released a full, big-name title since Bayonetta 2. Everything since then has just been grunt work to keep the lights on.

Personally I think Bayonetta isn't that great and Bayonetta 2 is not that great but also more of the same. :shrug:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 13, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Well,as long as you admit that MGR is sicknasty (or at least has sicknasty boss fights),you can still be saved. If not...I don't know you.

MGR is one of the best games ever and possibly our greatest achievement, as a species.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Even Drakengard 1 does interesting things that aren't really found anywhere else. It's the most vicious pisstake of the "Dynasty Warriors" genre i've ever seen. It goes beyond even making you play the bad guy, you're playing more of a kind of violent force of nature. When that NPC begs you to save the village from attackers, the chapter load text makes it very clear that Caim's motivation to follow the request is not to save people, but to kill people.
Even the music is very interesting and completely unlike any other video game music: It's a mess of droning, repeating hacked up pieces of classical music that can make you physically uncomfortable listening to it. It's exremely effective at getting across its themes and purpose, even at the expense of, well, you know, being "awful" in the sense that you probably don't want to listen to it.

I despise South Park so i'm not sure where exatly your parallel would be here, but i'm guessing it's the way it goes full grindark by loading up your party with pedopiles, cannibals, racist genociders and other such lovely people. Blunt doesn't mean "bad writing" though. It's just to make you hate all of them, basically.

In my eyes, it kinda blows it's load early on it terms of what it has to show you and then you're just left with an unpleasent mess, with hours of more of basically the same. If you can manage to keep at it, it's probably just for "what over the top bad thing is going to happen next?" as opposed to any actual sense of investment in what happens. Compared to say, Postal, which is another game that sort of has you going "wow this is pretty messed up" but it at least has a ramping challenge and passable gameplay.

There's stuff like the rhythem game and babies falling from the sky but at best I'd call that too little too late.

Really what's GOOD about the writing?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 13, 2016

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

fadam posted:

Just beat the first ending of Nier. I'm sitting through the credits right now. The second playthrough is for sure worth it? How different is it?

e: wrong game.
Well you don't play as 2B which I would say is significant.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 8, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

Spoilin' the wrong game there

Oh, Nier as in Nier 1, right.

Well the point DOES stand. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

psychoJ posted:

Ending E question:

can I accept a rescue offer or will that affect anything? I suck at shmups. :/

Memory serving you can but (spoiler for after that) someone else has to delete their save to do it.

Speaking of ending E, I think the biggest twist is that it's actually a fairly happy ending.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

dazat posted:

People are freaking out and dogpiling this guy on Twitter because he brought Automata's metacritic score down from 90 is 89 with his (admittedly stupid) review. I miss the days we just had dudes ragequitting over the fishing mini-game. It was a more innocent time...

Edit: Not NieR, but dozens and dozens of Japanese people leaving 1-star reviews on Amazon for Drakengard 3 after getting Ending A was pretty funny too. It's not a Yoko game without some review shenanigans!

For all the claims Taro Yoko is a sadist, he is equally a masochist. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I mean if you're not hating it while you play it, you're not playing a Drakengard game right.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ymgve posted:

That final ending. I wasn't sure if they were actually gonna go through with it, but welp, my save gone. But I felt I kinda had to do it since random strangers "helped" me through the impossible credits sequence.

Did you not play Nier Replicant/Gestalt? :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

See, I don't quite see it like that. Everything fundamental that made you you still exists. If we're talking a 1:1 copy, no degeneration or other weirdness (as seems to be the case with the YoRHa process)? The you that was just cloned has just as much right to consider themselves the real deal as the one that got shot in the head. I guess it's just a matter of perspective, really.

How would you feel if you were a perfect copy of someone else, and reassured you were 'just as good' as the original?

A copy is a copy. It can emulate the feelings and past experiences, but it is not the same thing.

Cephas posted:

I think people hate on 9S because they don't like seeing emotionally fragile boys. Like you see so much hate for Shinji Ikari too and it's just weird. Maybe it frustrates people to not see them "man up" and take control of the situation idk.

Personally, I just have it as a principle to not like anyone who stars in a story written by Taro Yoko. It's a good policy.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 20, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
NieR Automoata is basically the Ship of Theseus in video game form. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

A2 needed more scenes though. A2 is great.
Ending D/E Spoilers:
9S stabbing her was extremely distressing for me and I'm relieved Yoko Taro chose not to turn me into a hollow wreck of a person this time

Something about both Nier games is that the cast really deserves a happy ending more than Drakengard's, but I somehow feel less bad in the event they don't. When the ending was more or less happy for Automata my response was more "huh, a happy ending" then the satisfaction I expected. Maybe it's because things are more fundamentally bad in the Drakengard games. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vermain posted:

What SOMA is getting at is that there isn't a functional difference between an "original" (mind A) and a "copy" (mind B). Both mind A and mind B are the "original," because a "person" at its barest level is merely a collection of data. If you can replicate that data perfectly, how can you tell who's the "real" one after the fork appears?

Automata, by comparison, sees a level of dualist continuity in its protagonists, which is fine for its storytelling purposes.

I haven't played SOMA so I can't comment, but when you get that reductive simple logic states something can't be in two places at once. It can be as good as the original, but it is, by definition, not.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Vermain posted:

What functional difference is there between the "original" and the "copy"?

For the most part, in most scenarios? I'd say there isn't a functional difference. However, they are still not the same thing. The copy is not the original.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

So, you believe essence precedes existence?

I suspect Jean Paul would disagree.

Sartre is a dumb name anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

So then what makes an original superior to a copy? I think the problem here is that the word 'copy' itself carries with it a loaded definition of inferiority. It's not an original, it's a forgery, a fake, worthless. Even if you don't mean it, subconsciously, it's understood by us all. We've all got copies of the same movies, the same games and books and I'm guessing we're all pretty happy with our individual copies in and of themselves, right? Isn't it the content of those objects that matters? The memories we associate with them? The meaning we give it?

I don't think I said the original is better; I said that it is unique. It is it's own entity.

Vermain posted:

As you yourself said, there isn't a functional difference. Therefore, why does the category of "original" matter? What makes it a meaningful distinction to have?

It's more of a philosophical differentiation.

There's a human drive to want the original, I guess. People pay more for the original of something than a copy even if they're identical all the time.