Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Nier is relatively reserved, honestly. It's quirky, but Yoko never really topped the full-throated lunacy that went down in the first Drakengard.

Hell, not even the other two Drakengard games got quite as batshit crazy as the first one did (though 3 probably came the closest). Though to be fair, an army of giant cannibal space babies is kind of hard to top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’re getting an anime adaption it would seem:

https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1496441851758661632

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, there were rumors for a little bit. Seems they were on the money.

Is this the first game in the franchise to get something like this out of curiosity (though I think Drakengard 3 got a manga or a novel if I recall correctly)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did the original Nier and/or the first two Drakengard games get any supplementary material like that in Japan out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, Drakengard and Nier got tons of side material, most of which is confined to Japan (though fan translations exist).

Drakengard 3 is dark and depressing but still possesses an emotional core and a sense of humor while telling a complete story. The manga is dark and depressing but functions as little more than connective tissue (without much internal merit) while lingering on some of the more uncomfortable elements from the original Drakengard without Taro Yoko's guiding purpose to back it up. It's effectively a historical anecdote in-universe, explaining how the Red Eyes spread across the Empire (and doesn't tell us much of anything we didn't already know or couldn't have intuited).

Also, one of the protagonists is an elf whose hobbies include rape and carrying around the still-living head of an immortal boy with a disease so he can spread that disease to as many people as possible for the lols, which always struck me as exactly the kind of chaotic evil character a disaffected teenager brings to his local D&D table.

To be fair on the last part, there’s plenty of hosed up poo poo like that in the actual games/weapon stories as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sit on my Jace posted:

I miss the days when this franchise was just games, stage plays, short stories, novelizations, manga, audio drama cds, music videos, recitals that occurred exactly once at individual concert performances, and powerpoint slides.

Yeah, I’m surprised it took them this long to do an anime for the franchise too

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

The novelization of the game (Long Story Short) wasn't as good as the short story collection (Short Story Long).

How did the novelization deal with the game’s multiple endings out of curiosity (or did it just stick to Ending A)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I'm glad that the TV anime means Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley are getting more work. :shobon:

Assuming they’ll be coming back for the dub that is (the English version of the TWEWY anime only managed to get Kariya’s VA back for example)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve been out of the loop for a while but has there been any news recently regarding a possible continuation of the Nier or Drakengard franchises out of curiosity?

Also do we have a release date for the Automata anime announced a little while back yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if a Nier 3 or a Drakengard 4 would be more likely at this point

Also, do we have any idea when the Automata anime is coming out yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Indeed, though I still hope we get a new game in the franchise eventually though (that said, I’m curious if a potential Drakengard 4 would take place after 3 or 2)

On that note, how’s the mobile game Nier Resurrection out of curiosity?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

eh. it's an autobattler, if you've played one, you've played this. The story of the main campaign is kinda cool, and the music is on par with what you'd expect from something with Nier in the name. worth checking out for free, but you're safe to put it away as soon as you start getting sick of it, it doesn't do anything particularly different from the rest of the genre apart from look and sound great and have some good writing now and then.

Is it canon to the main series out of curiosity? And if so, when does it take place?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sit on my Jace posted:

Definitely not 2, Yoko Taro didn't have creative control on that one and it's since been shuffled off into its own little side-canon

Huh didn’t know that, though thinking about it I’m not sure what you could do to follow up on 3 either (it doesn’t even fully connect back to 1 for that matter, that was handled in a separate side story from what I understand)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gameplay wise I’d say 3 is probably the best in that particular series (I believe they implemented a few of Nier’s mechanics into it as well)

Speaking of, the Drakengard series never got any sort of rerelease for modern consoles did it (or even a PSNow addition for that matter)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was Drakengard 2’s combat any better than 1’s for that matter? I only ever experienced the game personally via The Dark Id’s LP of it a while back?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, does the Nier series also force you to play the game from start to finish in order to get all the endings or can you skip straight to the relevant parts?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Replicant basically just the Young Nier game Japan got back in the day or did they add some new stuff to it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did Japan ever get the Old Nier version out of curiosity?

Also, why did they decide to change him to an adult in the west to begin with (though it still works either way)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is there anything particularly different between the two storywise aside from one being about a father and daughter and the other being about a pair of orphaned siblings?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime adaption drops this January it seems:

https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1573560094733717504

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

Can't wait for the English dub to not have the actors from the game because whoever gets the rights is just going to use their usual group of local actors rather than making the effort to get the game actors.

That’s basically what happened with the TWEWY anime after all (with the exception of one game actor who did return)

Speaking of, do we know yet if this is going to be a direct adaptation of the game or more of a side story?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime begins January 7th:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=G6PLzB3Ouuw

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 27, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another anime trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hlP8Bl_YCdw

Though the Japanese release date is still the same apparently it won’t be on Crunchyroll now until “sometime in January”:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/14/23509661/nier-automata-anime-crunchyroll-release-date

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, considering this appears to be an adaption of the game I’m worried it might be super abridged like the TWEWY anime was (the odds of getting the English cast back for a potential dub might not be guaranteed either). It looks nice at least

I forget, were some of the more human like characters like the blue haired girl in the game?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, I kinda remembered some stuff in the back of my head from the LP but even never having played Resident Evil I appreciated the homage to that. I think the worst part of the fact that it’s strictly a high effort remaster and not a remake is that there’s not an Automata-style B route where you play as Kaine the whole way (and then never touch anything except Route E again) so you can experience the weird stuff again because the Route B+ cutoff is right after most of that.

I thought I heard somewhere that the remake adds an extra section at the end where you do play as Kainé at least, is that not the case?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reminder that the anime begins tomorrow:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/01/05/heres-the-exact-time-the-nierautomata-ver11a-anime-begins-on-crunchyroll

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just watched the premiere, the CG leaves a lot to be desired but the 2D animation is nice and I like that they’re using the OST and VAs from the game (though we’ll see if that still holds true once a dub comes out). Combining Routes A & B makes sense but we’ll see if they go beyond that at all

Not something I’d recommend to someone who hasn’t played the game though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For anyone put off by the first episode of the anime I’d strongly recommend checking out the second, it fixes a lot of issues and even introduces a good chunk of new material

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Anyone interested in the Nier Reincarnation mobile game, they're doing a 280 free pulls till March 31 to celebrate 2 years, no gimmicks, and that's more then enough to get several 4* characters and some solid weapon variety to start the game with.

How is that game out of curiosity discounting the gacha element?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Story is pretty bleak but not hopeless (except for the Sun & Moon geez), Yoko Taro to the max, all the events are more of the same, there's no 4th wall meta stuff or comical humor at all.

It's gotten extremely generous lately compared to what it used to be even a few months ago, with a lot of the event missions giving tons of materials and pretty good login bonuses.

What’s the gameplay like? Is it an action game with RPG elements like its console counterparts or more of a turn based thing?

Also where does it fall on the series timeline (assuming it’s connected at all)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

It's a mobile game, so it's real time auto-battle you can control by choosing when to activate the character abilities and special attacks. You can set that to auto too.

Strategy is 80% character and equipment, then timing your ability usages to stack combos as high as you can, using things like attack+, critical+ early in the combo.

So pretty much like the Kingdom Hearts mobile game then, makes sense. Is the story mode complete at this point or still in progress?

Also are there still weapon stories?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 6, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime returns next week:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2023/02/11/nierautomata-ver11a-anime-returns-to-japanese-tv-on-february-18th

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime is getting a dub starting this weekend, and unlike The World Ends With You most of the English game cast will be reprising their roles for this:

https://twitter.com/NieRA_anime_EN/status/1636021570358636546

https://twitter.com/NieRA_anime_EN/status/1636021573433049088

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, I’d probably take a Drakengard 4 at this point

As for Nier there was that mobile game a while back but I’m not sure if that really counts

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope it didn't turn into Nier 3, I bounced before I could finish the main story

I would not hate "drakengard 1, but fun to play" tbh. There's 23 years of Musou and derivative game experience to steal from, let's do it. hell, just do a remake, i don't care

I seem to recall 3 being better than the other two in terms of gameplay at least but it’s been a while since I’ve touched it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I watched an LP and it honestly did look more fun to play than I expected it to be, but it also didn't try to have as many enemies on screen as 1 did, if memory serves. It was more like a devil may cry kind of typical action game than a musou game, wasn't it?

Let Caim roast thousands of soldiers with the power of a PS5 imo

From what I remember the combat in 3 is kind of Nier esque (though not quite as smooth) though there are still flying segments like the previous two games

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There hasn’t been any update lately on if/when the anime is coming back has there?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Nope. The hiatus is indefinite at this point. I'm sure we'll get a nice shocker story when it eventually comes back because I'm guessing it would be a breach of contract if they straight up cancelled it.

And now we have a return date:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1672170511940603907

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The last 4 episodes of the anime are out now and a second cour has been confirmed (no release date yet though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime is decent overall and basically seems to be a combination of the first two routes (also all the VAs from the game reprise their roles in both the Japanese and English versions), each episode also ends with a puppet show covering one of the miscellaneous endings of the game