Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bad Seafood posted:

Finally got around to playing the demo and it owns.

Can't wait to find out all these robots I'm smashing are secretly powered by the souls of children or whatever.

I feel like all the lines in this demo were carefully picked to gently caress with people who played NieR and it's wonderful.

"You're not allowed to have emotions."

"Just ignore what the recordings are saying it's probably nothing"

"I can't possibly see this ending well" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Seeing as Emil is in one of them I half expect it to be "Emil built a bunch of robots to help people and it went wrong and now you must defeat this weird talking skelly head"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

E: ^^^ I only got that move to come out in side scrolling sections and it was just jumping and like, pushing triangle or something. I have no idea how to do it elsewhere. I really gotta go through the demo again sometime soon.

Holding the button down gives you different attacks, light katana in the default slot lets you breakdance/dash cut things and heavy sword lets you do a charged power slash.

Also for those that didn't play NieR 1 the same rules apply that the light purple bullets enemies fire can be destroyed with basic sword swings so don't feel like you can't advance without your pod button taped down- that breakdance move I just mentioned for example is phenomenal for sliding you through bullets to hit idiots that are firing at you.

Just don't try it for the dark purple/black bullets. You'll still get slapped in the head with those.

E: Also the demo probably has the traditional stinger but I forgot to try to mess around and see if it's actually there or not.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 24, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The boxes touched

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I did my first Very Hard run after realizing I could just kinda... ignore most of the enemies.

I'm sure it'd be more impressive if I killed everything but I'm happy enough to to make it that far so whatever. That being said I'm debating if I want to play Normal or Hard for my first full game playthrough. Normal because I want to see the story as fast as I can because I'm actually excited for it, or Hard because I enjoy giving myself a challenge in Platinum games.

I'm so excited :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had a dream that there was a jungle island level and you got Donkey Kong as a party member and when you finished the level the camera zoomed out to show it was DK Island all along. Also all the DK:64 music had Nier's vocals in it.

How can the actual game even compete now

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

redreader posted:

Do I 'need' to do all the endings? I mean ... I don't normally sperg out too hard.

Yes

Basically you start at the midway point with all your levels and the game is different enough to cruise through. Enemies die pretty much instantly so it only takes a real short while before the next cycle begins. Ending C and D are both kind of important.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I forgot if they showed 2B's eyes before, so I thought one of the big reveals was going to be her bandages(?) falling away and surprise she has red eyes oh poo poo!!

I mean the twins I can't recall the name of have had their red eyes highlighted in trailers already (and I'm pretty sure those sweet tats of theirs has something to do with a certain red dragon) but still.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I interest you in this NieR: Automata T-Shirt, Nier: Automata T-Shirt, Nier: Automata T-Shirt?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo youtube is starting to throw NIER AUTOMATA BOSS #2 videos at me in the suggested for you window- is there a way to make it stop?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You're my hero buddy, thank you

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm sure the gameplay is fantastic but can anyone comment on the story's quality? NieR is one of my all time favorite JRPG stories and I adored the music and I have no idea if I should be holding out hope that this one's just as good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jesus I'm absolutely terrible.

When the demo came out I managed to scrape off a win on Very Hard with some practice, when I started this time on normal I got my rear end beat in the same section. I'm so used to BOTW's big dodge animation that 2B's glide keeps making me think it's a dash button and I forget on the fly that it's actually my "get out of the way" button.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Breath of the Wild has killed me. The invisible walls are destroying me and I keep trying to climb up buildings or crouch into holes. I cannot stop myself.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished the desert and this seems a bit on the nose. Laughed at the lil stubby's having ""sex"" though. Right as I noticed them 9S just goes "yep mimicking humans".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My biggest problem with the game is that I turned brightness all the way up. In most games when I calibrate it "just right" like the game wants I wind up not being able to see poo poo so I'm used to just blowing it out.

The boss in the desert that I fought was basically this blinding white ball with absolutely no tells to it's attack animation as a result :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lets hang out posted:

You can uh, turn it down at any time

Oh I did midfight, I was just kinda making a joke about it is all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I went into the desert for this quest and didn't know how to leave. Wound up in a den of level 38 enemies and was handling it pretty easily until suicide bombers tackled me

Lost my junk there. Rude, game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This thread makes me feel bad. I'm on Normal and I seem to be constantly underleveled by stuff despite taking time to do as many sidequests as I can. I've died a number of times (mostly in 2D sections) and I'm not finding it as easy as some folks are making it out to be.

Also I don't get those snake enemies at all. They rip me apart and in the 2D section in the forest castle I got mulched by one because it just seems to be a active damage hitbox and shooting it is super wimpy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm I gonna need to collect all the weapons for endings C and D by the way?

I'm kinda used to it but I'm gonna feel silly buyin all these weapons if I don't actually need to.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lets hang out posted:

If the little sister quest stops go to where enemies last popped out of the ground and try to find the one that's stuck, like with the hammer program if you have it

Yeah she got stuck for me and after running around I considered resetting. Then I noticed a dust cloud kicking up in a random spot and started doing Mario ground pounds until pop out it came.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got ending A. It feels a lot more abrupt then NieR's but eh.

I dunno what I was expecting but it just kinda... happened? Like I know that the other playthroughs are what I'm after but everything felt so disjointed and weird. Adam's fake city being like 10 feet long, the cult subplot seeming to be totally random and pointless just to pad things out, eve going "Welp time to be the final boss" just kinda... ehhh. Didn't come close to the absolute mindfuck that was NieR 1's emotional rollercoaster with the king and emil's sacrifice and whatnot.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo tell me I'm not going crazy, I'm at the end of Route B (I'm pretty sure)

When I fought Adam and Eve in the mothership way back when there was like a split second frame of a girl in a red dress- nobody mentioned her and I'm like... 100% I'm not going crazy here, but I haven't seen her since and now I'm starting to wonder. My eyes weren't playing tricks on me were they?

Also I have a slight guess to the theme of this game and if I'm right then welp v:v:v

The robots keep trying to mimic humans and they keep failing, but they keep trying and trying- my guess is that they're failing because of android interference and that's the only thing keeping them back. I'm guessing that the humans either don't exist or something along those lines as well but who the hell knows. It's fun to guess.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 11, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

On Route C now

I'm glad that right after my ghost girl question was asked she started jumping up literally everywhere. Go figure. This all seems very ominous, thanks Taro :v:

Can I get a simple yes or no to this? Just to sate my curiosity. Is Emil's only purpose in this game to serve as a shopkeeper? I kinda get that feeling but I was hoping for a little more.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Route C

Just died during the 2B infection period. I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing but I can't shake enemies due to no running or jumping and can't attack so I just get corner hosed and sent a mile back. This is hot garbage jesus. Completely took me out of the moment.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hackan Slash posted:

Yeah, it's a pain. Run past everything, don't fight. When you come out of the pipe head left and you can get back to the top without jumping. Once there wait until you have full movement and jump across the gap, it's the only time you'll need to jump. Then just head for the mall, skirting around enemies. If you take a route that requires more jumping it's real bad. On the plus side, you never have to do it again!

Got it, thanks for that. Route C question though.

Is there a order I should support first? I don't want to go to like, 9S and then have to delete my game or something and miss out on A2.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had to turn it to easy for this boss. I'm not even ashamed because it was the worst designed thing I've ever seen in a video game, christ.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Genocyber posted:

Which boss?

Hagel or whatever it was called. Game wanted me to enter berserk state which left me with 0 hp at all times, even when I decided to try to get by without using it the screen was so cluttered with trash and off screen lasers it was impossible to actually dodge anything. It was bad.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So uh, I think this quest is bugged? I can't talk to this npc at all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Taro you're a mean dude.

Route C A2 side Pascal :smith: Can I just... leave and not kill him or anything?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dimix posted:

You can, that's what I did and it didn't make me feel all that much better :(

Yeah gotta say that wasn't satisfying at all

I think I'm near the end of the game but I gotta stop, it's loving 7AM goddamn. Major rear end spoilers for C route I just walked into the library from NieR and this game has me just constantly losing my loving poo poo at this point. Like god drat what is happening were there even aliens in the first place? Like I'm trying my best to keep up and failing utterly which is just resulting in me becoming a hollering mess of STOP STOP STOP.

E: This Cannot Continue.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 12, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I beat the game and cried like a bitch during the shooting credits segment. I don't know what it was but all the encouraging messages got to me. I gave up my save for it as I don't mind doing another replay later.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

queeb posted:

Please tell me this game stays crazy. Beat the 2nd boss then some poo poo went down and I've been wtfing so hard. Does it stay this insane?

Haha

I finished the game like a hour or two ago and I'm still loving shaken. It's great.

dazat posted:

Man, you guys are cold as ice.
Big ol spoilers for C

Deleting memories felt wrong as it deletes who he was and all the good memories as well as the bad. As 2B shouted earlier He'll be alive but it won't be the same him. Killing him would be the same really. Both erase the being we've come to know as Pascal just with different words.

What happened was tragic and hilariously hosed up beyond belief but I kinda thought A2 was starting to lighten up and in my mind Pascal still has his android buddies to help him recover. That's why I didn't want to kill him, he still has friends.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 12, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He's a machine. The game definitively states that machines never do anything differently. (When 9S is knocked out after the big robot). When they restart, they do the same thing over and over without changing it. He doesn't possess the ability to learn from it, so he can't grow. Wiping him at least leaves him as a blank slate without knowledge.

And as a whole, he did nothing wrong and deserves mercy entirely, be it through death or wiping. If he's doomed to repeat it with or without memories, it's better to be without them.

I took it as a collective failure, not just a single one. Machine 1 starts a dictatorship and dies, it fails. Machine 2 starts a dictatorship, it fails the same way Machine 1 did.

Pascal who's severed from the network is written in a way that made me think that he wouldn't try to make another town. Maybe a second machine will get the same idea but Pascal wouldn't because he doesn't want the heartbreak that came to him to happen once again. A network wasn't going to tell him "hey build another city." He was his own person.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Soul Glo posted:

Avoiding the thread since it's a field of spoiler text and I just started the game today, but do you have to do anything to make chips active after you buy them? At the first shop I bought ones to increase melee resistance, increase health and increase damage, but do I have to activate them in any way or are they active by just being in my inventory?

Also it took me an hour and forty-five minutes to discover I could double jump. :v:

You have to equip them in the plug in menu. Pause the game and scan it over!

You will have to buy storage upgrades if you wanna equip a lot though so keep that in mind.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Overall plot as I'm rolling it around in my head and trying to make sense of some of it as... I was kinda overwhelmed when I beat it. Spoilers for the whole game.

So the timeline is something along the line of this right?

Nier blows up Shadowlord and fucks everyone in the process. Gestalts and Replicants go extinct and humanity is just flat out gone minus a handful of brainscans and some DNA samples. A set of Dev and Pop androids shoot that information to the moon hoping that would somehow help keep the memory of humans alive.

Aliens see Earth and come to it for... some reason? They send machines out to clean up and the androids humanity left behind are getting wiped- Emil uses shadow clone jutsu to make like a mountain of clones to try and fight them back but ultimately fail due to once again, reasons.

Androids knowing that humanity is extinct pretty much give up.

The machines however learn about humans and become obsessed. To evolve they'd have to face conflict, so they kill their alien masters and form YorHa giving Androids purpose once again. The bunker is built and better, stronger androids are built with the sole purpose to make machines better through conflict. None of the androids know this and continue fighting the war hoping to do the non-existent humanity proud. Then the game takes place.

Anyone mind clearing up what I might of gotten wrong?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so I'm doing another run through already as I kinda missed a LOT of sidequests. In a attempt to do them all I noticed a couple markers far below the factory. (Route A Spoilers) I know the become as gods cult thing has you down there but like, this showed up after the amusement park. Is that a actual quest or is it just the save point down there?

Also Route B-C question after finishing Route A I never saw a dead android again so I couldn't revive or restore and just had to do everything myself which is fine, but I'm kinda curious if I was supposed to be able to see others during those two paths or if that mechanic was Route A only.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have Emil story questions that I kinda forgot about until now.

Why was he in a robot anyway? Like... is he the only one in one of em? He didn't even know why he was in there himself and that detail is just kind of confusing me in hindsight.

Also isn't he and his clone army TECHNICALLY human? I mean dudes a skeleton ball so maybe it's hard to argue that with the machines/androids but I find it kind of funny that he's the thing androids are trying to protect.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lets hang out posted:

I think his last sidequest suggests that he really was the first Emil. Makes his death more poignant at least.

Man what did I miss? I got to the lunar tear house and heard about world war Emil, and even lifted the lil mask off his house but I didn't get anything that implied that it was the OG Emil or that he even died. Emil's my favorite NieR character so now I'm genuinely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fuzz posted:

All this hacking in every fight (vs flailing weakly with one lovely combo or a bad charge attack) is getting tiresome.

9S has heavy attacks as well, mostly achieved via counters from my playtime

Give the boy a spear and have fun.