Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love that Emil is the steam icon for this game.

I genuinely hope Taro continues to wear his Emil Mask and just never swaps to something else. Drakengard 4? Icon is still Emil etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I just saw in some fanart for 2b that there are fist weapons in this game? Can you get some fist weapons reasonably fast or is it locked behind a bunch of poo poo?

You can get a couple early with the power of money but I didn't start finding them till I was on Route B

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Drakengard and Whole Game (Automata) spoilers

So I forgot most of Drakengard but recently went back and refreshed myself just for kicks and now I'm super loving confused in Automata because of all the callbacks.

I've counted
Ending names: Flowers for a Broken Machine, Flowers for a Broken Spirit
Manah's watcher voice turning into that of a mans. The two girls in red do the same thing.
Watcher!Manah's stupid la la la thing comes back with the Emil copies doing the same thing.

Is the game trying to imply something here? Or is it just call backs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

No Mods No Masters posted:

There's an extremely fast cheesy way to grind up to level 99 there's a robot statue you can hack at the center of the theme park plaza who gives at least 2-3 levels each time he dies all the way up to 99. It can only be hacked while you're remote controlling one of the smaller robots for some reason. That said if you want the postgame content to be any challenge at all on normal stop in the 80s or so, at 99 I found it all completely trivial

Mechanic and extremely minor C Route spoiler There's one enemy when you're taking out the anti air units in Route C that apparently has some shielding to make it unhackable from androids. It serves as kind of a tutorial for taking a small machine and using it to get into bigger ones. They literally never do it again though so whatever.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Calaveron posted:

I don't know how to get into that place I need to go in the amusement park :saddowns:

Try poking around seedy back alleys

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rhonne posted:

Finding Emil's house and seeing the floor covered in dead player bodies made me bust out laughing.

My favorite thing about your spoiler is I heard there was a bonus boss and had no idea who it is or if it would be canon. Like would Nier pop up "hi i am here for SURPRISE BOSS!!"

Soon as you find Emil's house and it's just a corpsefield you kinda get your answer in a instant :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question about two shops

Clown robot is supposed to sell Pyrite. I remember seeing it in his stock but now that I'm talking to him the option isn't there. Do playthroughs change stocks and I never noticed?

On Emil's shop I wanna buy his fist weapons but was told to reload until he's in front of the resistance camp. I've reloaded like 10-15 times and each time he's just in front of the desert and never moving from there. How do I get him to haul rear end somewhere else?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Manatee Cannon posted:

you have to talk to him by the desert first or he'll never move from there

Yeah no, I've bought stuff from him at the desert entrance, I've went and found dozens of weapons and stopped him a few more times for good measure. Dude just really loves the desert and won't fuckin' leave.

Emil you're makin it hard for me to keep lovin ya dude.

E: Should we be spoiling his name? I mean he was in trailers and stuff.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Snak posted:

Oh god looking for relics in the desert...
How many are there?

There are 4. The payoff is SUPER worth it too

Yeehaw

E: That being said I think you can only be holding one at a time. I had a item and stood in a spot where another ended up being and got no reading.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

There's a sidequest on the map that looks to be far down underground, and I'm not sure how to get to it. If you look at the map straight down it's around the forest kingdom. Anyone know what sidequest I mean?

You jump off a cliff and fly to it. I just said gently caress it at some point and did it from the forest center.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Vermain posted:

You might be right, actually. I can't recall if it was in-game or in a novella, only that it was mentioned in some form in the original NieR.

Yeah it wasn't in the game at all. Just the novel.

A handful of LP's mention it and some catchup videos people have made so maybe you got it mixed in there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

McDragon posted:

Oh yeah, now I remember I was gonna ask something mechanics-wise. I realised holding down Evade as A2 activated what I can only describe as afterburners. Just wondering, does the game ever actually tell you it is a thing, and probably more importantly, what the heck does it do apart from look cool and let you do ZOE figure skating?

It does damage when you're in Berserk mode.

Also character design gimmick between the two games I didn't notice till a friend mentioned it.
2B wears her bandana thing like Dad!Nier, 9S wears his like Emil's blindfold and A2 wears her like Kaine does :v:. Kinda neat.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

Does A2 even ever wear hers? I don't remember that

Nope! That's my joke.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Had a pretty funny error come up on C route.

Talked to Emil with 9S and he did his brainscan line. "I'll just put 9S on it" "What?" "Come again 2B :D"

Like dick move dude.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jack Trades posted:

Where?! I don't remember anything like that.

Go to the entrance.

He's good at holding that pose

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Whats the best way to grind for G anywho? Friend of mine is flat out broke in C route due to Emil cleaning house on him through GREAT SALES and I dunno what to tell him. He's already pawned off his machine cores n everything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

1) Equip two weapons with Robot Discount
2) Jump into Chapter 7-1 and buy Meteorites from the inventor
3) Jump into Chapter 11-1 and sell the Meteorites to the vendor interface next to you
4) Repeat

You'll basically double your money each run.

E: Never mind if you're still in route C you don't have chapter select yet. I reckon doing rounds in the infinite enemy arenas in for example the housing complex area with drop rate chips should get you some valuable loot quick.

Will pass it on. Watching a friend play blind is wonderful :allears:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Snak posted:

Oh my god the voice changer is loving hilarious.

I played the entire intro stage with 9S and it on. At one point near the end he yells what amounts to a loving dinosaur screeching and I couldn't believe it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Are there any good video lp's of this game people are watching? A lot of them go up to ending A go "welp time to move to the next game" and drop it there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

HGH posted:

Got two questions from about 75% through route C about a certain boss.

The whole thing with the big brother and little brother machines with the buckets, how come there were so many of the latter? Did it multiply somehow? Last, after you fight them as A2, can you just walk away? The game gives you control after you beat them but before the scene where you kill them but I've never tried walking away.

Spoilers for the Route C boss

You can't leave, and if you wait long enough A2 gets super pissed to the point of shaking and murders them anyway, she comes off as a little bit more unnerved by it though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The merchant Emil might just be one of his copies. Nobody knows what happened to the original.

Have you done the final secret boss fight? It's kind of hinted that that is the original.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ending Y and Fishing are the only trophies I need till I get platinum

Any suggestions on getting Black Pearls and Gold Ore? I need 4 B. Pearls which sure whatever I can hopefully get lucky in the sunken city but Gold Ore gently caress if I know I need a whopping 16 hunks of the stuff

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

The vendor at Amusement Park sells gold ore late into the story

Oh neat, can hop on over there then.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished NieR the right way

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'll never get why people think Metal Gear Rising is some benchmark in thoughtful combat when you can literally just tap forward and achieve literally the same thing as mashing dodge in this game.

Like I finished Rising on the harder difficulties without bothering to learn proper timing because it's just so forgiving and it drops healthpacks like there's no tomorrow.

(Not saying it's a bad game but always struck me as odd)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm curious, did anyone have any boss fights that they got really into/rate highly? I can't really think of any super memorable fights.

Opera bot
Adam fights (minus the mothership one)
Tandem Battle at the Tower
9S v 2B

Genuine flaw of the game in my opinion is that at the end of route A/B and into C all the bosses basically just become those stupid ball things. Like literally all of them that come to mind are either balls or androids..

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

The machine virus gives you gravity based superpowers. The stage play of all things explains it but the game itself glosses over it

Honestly I just thought it was like, his skin peeling to reveal his robot parts and it was just part of the virus taking over or something.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

End of Route C spoilers, but one thing I love meta-related about the game.

I knew Devola and Popola were in the game because of trailers and art and whatnot so I was super excited to see that explained. When they showed up in the camp to give me the scanner and not just be background NPC's I was like "oh boy the twins are getting introduced heeere we go."

The shot of them over a waking up 9S and everything just had me super suspect of them and wondering just what kind of twist I was in for... only for there to be no twists.

It wasn't until I finished the game and thought about it that I realized just how right they were that people judged them because of the NieR pairing and it made me feel legit guilty.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

slev posted:

All the machines in this game are naked except that one that wears a suit

Some wear overalls and one wears a cool blue cloak.

Also the desert ones and clownbots and ones in knight armor.

Jean-Paul has a hat

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SHISHKABOB posted:

What's the point of the stuff the lady with the bobblehead sells. I feel like it would be cheating.

I got the first secret boss down after doing ending A-E and saw one labeled "SPOILERS IN THIS ACHIEVEMENT SO NOT TELLING YOU WHAT IT IS". I bought it because I thought my game was bugged (I mean, I had all the spoiler achievements already I thought) and it wound up being the "see all endings" one.

Went and did it anyway but woof that doesn't feel good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

2B should of tried to find some fortune cookies for 6O

She'd probably super be into those things.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will never agree that Revengance is more intimate or whatever than NieR lol

The only difference is there's set combat arenas in Revengance and they give you a grade. If fights in NieR gave you a grade it would literally be the same combat. Hell given the fact you can swap weapons midcombo in NieR without having to pause the game as well as pod switching/customization I'd argue that it's even deeper possibility wise in Automata.

Edit: Oops missed most of a page

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I was legitimately surprised that that was the only place that ever had EMP bots, although that might be also a normal/hard mode thing, since I just started on Normal and forgot the slider exists.

Late route B I had found a vendor selling status heal items and was like "poo poo I haven't seen anyone using these attacks, better get some now before I get hosed later" and then proceeded to use a couple on that fight and that was literally just that

They don't look any different then normal enemies and they're never as densely packed as that one moment so it's easy to gloss over them. They're all over the city in C- it's just they don't use that attack super often.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

That's funny because I had such little problem with that segment that it's confusing how there COULD be trouble with it. Like I basically remember moving her to that quest marker with zero difficulty.

Basically if you get punched by a medium you go flying like a cartoon character. If you fall into a pit because of this or get pushed into a corner by a mob then good luck.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man, I've been a fan of Nier for a long, long time now as well as Drakengard games (despite not playing them) and I've always wished more people would give the original NieR a chance via playing it themselves or reading a LP. I'd sit down and talk to friends about it, chat it up but like... it was just so danged niche.

It's actually kinda freaking me out a little to see Automata explode like it has. Going into a Dark Souls video and reading WOAH THATS SOME NIER TYPE poo poo is just surreal as all hell.

I can only imagine how Taro feels

Vermain posted:

The one compelling theory I've seen is that the "treasures" represent the different ways in which the various robot communities splintered in their attempts to become more human: the desert represents Love, Pascal's village represents Peace, etc.

Considering the shape of the love robot in those sequences and it being alone when they talk about Adam's "hate" I'm 100% sure that's wrong and it's just talking about Simone. Like the cutout even has her dress and everything.

I think that the machines can share their treasures and build off them but each one has their own unique shape.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 29, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

lets hang out posted:

please actually play video games

I think it's fine to skip D1 and D3 and just look up info on them seeing as D1 is pretty dated and D3 runs at 2 frames per second.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

9S's voice actor did the entire segment in B that everyone hoped he would.

Him just yelling WOAAAAAAAAAH at the **** 2B part after reading it is great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

Holy crap I only now saw that there's a cutscene at Kainé's hut in the third act if you unlock it beforehand. I had zero idea it was a thing

That's pretty much my reaction to activating it.

The Dark Id posted:

Eh? What happens there?

Route C If you do the dog tag quest and 9S learns about flowers for the fallen you can go to Kaine's house and he plants her sword there and says he'll avenge her, then join her soon enough.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tarezax posted:

If he starts an attack windup it's too late to get your attack in since it's a mirror match. Holding down your evade button makes Pascal's Engels guard, which will negate all damage from an incoming attack and allow you a guaranteed hit afterwards, because you can start your own attack almost immediately while the enemy is stuck in the recovery animation.

If you block Engles has a chance to do a follow up smack and backhand you so maybe don't mash the button the second the first hit connects.

Really though I'd throw a punch and he just kept walking into it like a dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So can I ask something about 9S and 2B? End game talk.

I talked with a few friends on the topic of love and we're kinda butting heads. Chatted up different forums and more butting of heads from multiple sides.

I read the game as 9S and 2B being in love romantically. A kind of tragic romance that both sides are unable to come out with. Couple friends agreed and that was that until talking with another who said "nah it's family love, like a brother and sister. Not romantic at all." which, despite the family theme from Adam and Eve I didn't really get from the two of them. Now a few places I've been too and mentioned it seem to be butting heads as well and I'm kinda lost.

Is it a romantic situation or more family?