Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can only hear up to 16 kHz :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Losing my eye sight and hearing doesn't bother me much.
I aspire to become a brain-in-a-jar with a usb plug, within my lifetime. So I can connect myself straight to a computer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

is there a list of weapons available? My one issue with the demo was that the swords felt pretty samey except one was slow one was fast.

Have you tried fighting unarmed in the demo? You get a whole new moveset.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If MGR is anything to go by then you shouldn't start on Hard pretty much ever.
Even Normal was real difficult until you've mastered all the hidden and unexplained mechanics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think Hard was the ideal mode to start Rising on. It didn't lock you out of mechanics like this game does. Conversely, I think playing on Normal is bad training for Hard and up because you have a lot more time and space to hit the squares in blade mode. This game just doesn't really play much like Rising though, it's not very comparable.

I had utterly mastered Rising by the time the PC version came out, so this isn't a fair thing to consider, but my first run of the PC version on a fresh save was with the Konami code to unlock Very Hard and do it no upgrades. :unsmiggh:

I dunno. Maybe I'm a special kind of stupid or something but Hard felt literally impossible to me on my first try and even on Normal the last boss took me about 12 hours (spread across several days of course) to beat, while the notoriously difficult Dark Souls series didn't feel anywhere near as brutal to me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nier: Autobutt-a

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

So I just noticed that pressing in both analogue sticks causes your character to self destruct unless you let go within two seconds. I don't know the function of this ability but then again this is the game that lets you pull out your own brain.

You can test this out yourself without looking at the spoiler but it's a good idea to be ready to let go quickly.

I'm not sure it's a spoiler considering that it's literally there in the controls menu.

You can use that to remove 2Bs skirt. Although there's probably a specific use for it later.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I don't plan on getting many new releases this year outside of Persona 5 next month, but for GOTY to be taken from this game, it'd be required a complete masterpiece at this point.

I wouldn't say this game is actually perfect, it has some definite drawbacks, almost all of them tied to performance, but so far, this game is perfect to me. It's everything I would want in a video game. It reminds me why I first liked video games.

Sounds good.
Now I just pray even harder for the PC port to be good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can't wait to play Yoko Taro Presents: 2Butt's Bizarre Adventure.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

This got put up on the S-E store and taken down.

So it's looking like PC Release is March 17 at the moment.

oh boy oh boy oh boy OH BOY OH BOY

Only 2 weeks left. I can't wait for Yoko Taro's Bizarre Android Adventure.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Considering how the base PS4 runs it well for the most part and only chugs at certain points, I think the specs are pretty over-estimated.

PS4 doesn't run the game at 1080p though.
Also it's not unusual for PC versions to have options for improved graphics compared to console versions.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know how many difficulty modes the game has? Are there any higher than Hard? Is there NG+?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alder posted:

There's Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard. You do get NG+ and keep all your items so feel free to stockpile b/t PT.

Thanks.
Very Hard is the one where you're (almost?) get one-shot by every attack?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brutakas posted:

Cool, a (tentative) release date for PC!

Sucks that it is 10 days after the PS4 version.

Better than a year later, like it was with MGR.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

Good, short primer on the Nier story.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/03/nier-automata-was-fueled-by-an-unknown-passion/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lets hang out posted:

lol the steam forum for this game is a trash fire

Steam Forums for any game is a trash fire. Don't read them unless you want brain cancer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Based on what little information I've seen about the PC port it seems like it'll be of the exactly the same quality as MGR which isn't amazing but is perfectly playable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Could you link your sources? I loved the PC port of MGR so that'd be a really encouraging read for me

Xeremides posted:

The game was locked to 60 fps, but someone released a patcher like a month after release that let you use whatever res you wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if Nier were locked to 60 fps, but it'd be odd not to include higher resolutions this time around.

There's rumours going around NieR's port is the same in regards to resolution and fps but I don't believe they're substantiated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO-_FKlHRRQ&t=1517s

Nier Autobutta will be locked to 1080p, 60 fps.

It was locked to a max resolution of 1080p and frame rate of 60fps and if you were unlucky (I was), running your video card through HDMI would force your display to output at 24hz meaning it was actually entirely unplayable. This was never fixed, but I believe there's a mod that does fix it now. I had to use a third party program to fix it at the time.

MGR also had wonky key rebindng and I had it be locked at 50 fps for some reason at one point.

It was still a perfectly playable port but it could've been better.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 5, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Didn't know about MGR's key rebinding but that's because I'm not silly enough to try play a character action game with M+KB.

I usually play character action games with a controller but MGR was a special case because I hated aiming zandatsu's with the controller so I played it with KB+M mouse instead, which actually worked pretty well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Platinum Games' amazing gameplay + japanese kind of crazy auteur storytelling. What's there not to like?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Once you get further in and have access to more flavours of chips, Automata's as complicated as you want it to be. High % heals on kill and witch time when you can spam dodge without penalty takes all the difficulty out of the game.

Without spoilers, how early can you get the witch time chip?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Apparently Nier: Autobooty has some pretty amazing things-get-wet/things-get-dry effects.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How likely is it that if I buy the game from GMG that I will be able to play on release exactly?

I don't wanna wait longer than I have to. I have this bucket of coke ready and all.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does Nier: Autobutta stack up to MGR when it comes to game length, enemy/level variety and boss count?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

So I really want to take advantage of the gmg deal, but I'm real worried my 660ti isn't going to be up to snuff, and I'm not going to be able to refund it.

Does anyone know how much weaker my gpu is compared to a 770?
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Well it might be that the offical settings are just what platinum says is required to reach High quality textures,1080p at 60fps. I think it was like that with MGR: R?

maybe just maybe you can lower the texture quality to medium and you'll be fine.

That was minimum requirements. For 720p.
I doubt there's any hope for his system.

Unless he really likes powerpoint presentations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Q: How many resources were spent on 2B's butt?

Taura: Well, there is a modeller in Platinum who is known as Matsudaira, who has an obsession with the shape of butts. In particular, he wanted the butts in Nier Automata to be depicted more beautifully than the butt of a painting of Yoshida Keiko, and...
Yoko Taro: Actually, let me explain in detail. When I initially proposed the design of 2B to Taura, 2B had pretty large boobs. However, Taura strongly objected because he has a preference for small boobs (Taura: that's personal information!). Then, when I talked to Matsudaira, he had strong opinions on butts. Basically, Taura became the bobb representative and Matsudaira became the butt representative, and that's how we now have 2B.

Perfect. 👌

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Press the stick buttons down

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alder posted:

btw: Anyone find 9S design to be odd since he's the only one who looks like 12 yrs old in the entire game. He sounds like he's the same "age" as the other androids though.

Odd unlike the design of the combat android that wears stiletto heels in the desert?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nier Autobooty: 2Butt's Bizarre Adventures

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Punch the sexists right in the kisser.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder if you can still pet the Pod buddy is you use the Grimoire Weiss skin for it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

http://business.financialpost.com/f...__lsa=ca1a-c3a8

Game is bad. I've canceled my pre-order.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HGH posted:

What's a business website reviewing games for?

:shrug:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Do we know how the PC port is shaping up? I'm pretty tempted to hit the preorder button on GMG and I want to think Platinum has a good track record of PC ports, but it never hurts to be a bit more informed.

We don't really know anything other than it's locked to 1080p/60 fps max.
Although 3 out of 4 Platinum's PC ports were all pretty good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

If you need more slots, there's a guy in the Resistance camp that upgrades your slots.
Protip: An easy way to to get extra slots is to remove the "OS Chip", you don't need it anyways.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SYabipradE

A review of the game from the guy that made that pretty good story analysis of the series.
The spoilers are clearly segregated to specific timecode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010