Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
When people make 30-minute youtube videos asking how anyone can call Nier: Automata a masterpiece and still only rate it a 9/10, the answer is Hegel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nearing the end of my playthrough (just hunting down upgrade materials by this point), considering doing a hard mode run. Is it worth it or nah?

I ignored the original Nier's hard mode since all it did was making everything take forever to kill without actually making anything harder to kill, which turned the game into a slog. Is Automata's hard mode more worthwhile?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, I never died to Hegel, he's just such a mess of information and attacks from multiple directions, all going off at once, clipping through the environment and his individual segments. Even if you think he's an easy boss, he's in no way a good or defensible one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My favorite thing about the trophy shop is the trophy for having 100,000 G costs 100,000 G to unlock.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Completing Speed Star gets you the best reward in the game, and I'm not talking about the money or materials.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

When were they going to reveal what the deal was with the apologetic robots again?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The first time I discovered where Emil lives I was playing offline, so that room was just empty.

After learning about it, I went back there to farm bodies for the achievement because I'm shameless.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This game's DLC is just going to be a pack of ten more classic plays re-interpreted by robots.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Death of a Weapons Salesman.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I pretty much never sold anything ever for fear it'd turn out to be a rare upgrade material. Only now that I've moved on to post-game sidequest and trophy clean-up have I really started to offload all my vendor trash.

Similarly, when starting off Route C, I deliberately avoided using the transport terminals for anything other than saving, since I was convinced teleporting would have negative repercusions now that the bunker was gone. Yoko Taro got into my head real good with that one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've said it before but that's actually my favorite scene in the whole game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 18, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm surprised there's no concept art of Jackass considering she's voiced and probably the second-most important resistance android after Anemone.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No Wave posted:

The character design of every resistance member (outside of d+p) is pretty bad. I wouldn't be shocked if there was no concept art at all.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No Wave posted:

Honestly still think it's really bad and not evocative of anything :/

But other people might like it, not trying to start a flame war
I don't really have an opinion on them one way or the other, you just said you didn't think there was any concept art so I posted some.

When I found out Anemone had art I figured Jackass would have some too, so I was surprised to learn she didn't - or at least that none of it has been leaked yet.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fiddled with the URL to preserve the sanctity of the fish joke in Id's thread since someone just cross-posted from my imgur account in there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The colosseum will include a drinking fountain which produces free pure water every time you interact with it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Curious what the success of this game is going to mean for Yoko Taro's career. I don't have the numbers to back this up, but I can't help but feel like this game sold better than its predecessors in large part due to cashing in on Yoko Taro as a person, turning him into something of a celebrity. I know some people were attracted by Platinum's involvement, but the majority of Square's marketing efforts seem to have revolved arounded Yoko Taro being Yoko Taro.

Now that Nier: Automata's doing quite well for them, does he more or less have free reign to do whatever he wants for his next project? Not that he wouldn't anyway but, you know, with a budget. He already seems to have secured an unusual amount of freedom to begin with.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Late but I like 9S and his character arc a lot, but playing him took awhile to grow on me.

I found the hacking minigame endlessly frustrating until Aurian told me I could lock on, which never occured to me for some reason.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nina posted:

I actually find locking on harder since you can't lead shots
I don't even know what that means, I've just always struggled to aim with a controller (and have never been big on shooters as a result).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

Route C: The Logic virus is giving me severe flashbacks to the shittest bit of Revengeance. Is the effect where You can't jump random or is it purposefully trying to make me take a particular path.? I tried going straight across the crater and go mobbed to death because of a small wall.
When I first got to that part I got dropkicked by a randrom robot from offscreen into the pit at the bottom of the crater and spent the next five minutes trying to climb out.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Capntastic posted:

What do 2B, 9S, and A2 listen to while fishing

Pod casts

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not being able to lock on while hacking is the number one thing keeping me from giving hard mode a shot.

I'm always torn when developers change-up the core mechanics for a spell. On the one hand, I think it's neat to transition from one gameplay style to another for the sake of the moment - that bit in Metal Gear Solid 3 where the game temporarily turns into a rail-shooter as you escape the base is awesome, as is the boss fight in Sin and Punishment 2 where the guy handcuffs you to him the two of you face off in a fistfight (in a game that's otherwise about shooting things). On the other hand, there's also always the lingering chance the switch will be to a style of game I'm not nearly as adept at, or possibly even terrible. I've since hit the best possible rank in almost every single Killer Is Dead challenge except for the turret minigame, which I can't even clear, and doubt I'll ever be able to. If I'd played the original Drakengard back in the day, I likely would've hated the final boss even more than the Dark Id.

Hacking in Nier: Automata isn't anywhere near as bad as those latter two examples, but it's outside my comfort zone enough that it dampens my enthusiasm to tackle the game at a higher level.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, see, I'm packing the PS3 version, so no luck there. Shame too, since mouse aiming would cure that particular ill.

Relatedly, my least favorite bit in Shadows of the Damned was the turret section as well. Grasshopper needs to stop putting these segments in games.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

The backstory for this game is ridiculous. :psyduck:
Buddy, you outta hear the backstory for the original game.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Do you still get the all endings trophy if the last thing you do is get ending E and erase your data?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like how they probably could've replaced it but Yoko Taro apparently just went "Nah man, just bolt it back together."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Source

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Let me rephrase that, parts of it are depressing, but it allows for more hope than any other Cavia game I've seen.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

so that actually leads me to a NIER question (not spoiling since it's a 7 year old game)

Dad Nier gets poo poo on a lot for basically dooming humanity by killing the Shadowlord, but how meaningful actually is that? The replicants were clearly sentient by this point, so were they just supposed to roll over and get possessed en masse?
There's this interview I remember reading (but have never been able to find again, sorry) where someone asked Taro Yoko why he made such depressing games, citing Nier as an example. He asked why they thought Nier was depressing and the interviewer responded with "Well I mean, everyone dies," to which Yoko Taro responded "What's important isn't whether they lived or died, but whether or not they achieved salvation."

Yoko Taro's games are weird an unexpectedly heavy, but - assuming I didn't just dream up that interview - I think his response reveals a lot about his thought process. Nier's actions may have doomed humanity, but humanity was previously damned regardless. There's a kind of twisted release in what follows, which extends to Nier's own arc as well.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 3, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Hadn't read that one before (so thanks for the link!). He expresses a similar viewpoint in that interview, but the one I'm thinking of I read several years ago.

Though his comments here at least confirm I'm not just misremembering something.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ularg posted:

Welp, I finished the game! So spoilers, I guess. Not sure about the ending though, not a lot of build up towards the climax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaSYhXsj-1w

:v:
When Jackass gave me the mackerel I forgot about it for an hour, then remebered "Oh yeah, she wanted me to eat this for science or something," so I did while standing right next to a save point I didn't use cause I figured "If someting happens I'll just respawn and collect my stuff."

:suicide:

Ain't even mad, that one was on me. Still.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Undecided on the DLC. Doesn't sound like there's all that much to it. I am, of course, one of the idiots who bought all the DLC for Drakengard 3, but you got some story content there. An arena mode and a some costumes, eh.

In the meantime, still trying to clean up the encyclopedia. It's a bit frustrating how rare some of these enemy spawns are.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Is there anyway way to manipulate the "Speed" at which Emil's shop operates? I've stopped him all over the place but every single time he's always singing in double-time, which means I get his good wares, except I don't want his good wares, I want his cheap wares (warped wires, coiled springs, etc.).

Also, who drops simple gadgets?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Isnt it his location and run that determines his wares? i.e. C and outside the camp = best stuff, Desert entry = junks.
He exclusively sells chips (and two weapons) by the desert and outside the camp, and materials if you catch him in the crater or the field. No matter where I manage to run into him though, he's always singing fast, meaning he's shilling the expensive stuff.

Dabir posted:

You can farm Simple Gadgets at a couple spots like the Forest King's cradle, but it'll take a while cause they appear at a low rate. Good luck!
Lame. Upgraded pods aren't even that good.

The things I'll do for a platinum. Least I had the sense to give up on fishing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I am trash YoRHa, now for only $20.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Jeez, wish somebody had warned me the Emil superboss is just a reskinned Hegel fight, but worse.

And you've got to do this twice for Ending Y?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah, nevermind; once for the ending, once for the last sidequest.

Ended up being more manageable once I fine-tuned myself exclusively for ranged combat, but man you've gotta mash dodge like a mofo throughout that whole thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I am not a strong shooter. Nevertheless, I want to help you.

:gbsmith:

I knew something like this was coming, but that was better than I could have imagined.

May my data serve you well, fellow player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Went to bed after beating this game last night and it's all I can think about this morning.

Also I looked it up and apparently the chorus of Ending E is the whole dev team singing together - including Yoko Taro.

What a wonderful game.