Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I guess I have an unpopular opinion, because I thought combat using 9s, even if ( especially if) you didn't use hacking, was great. His small sword move set feels great and it seems like he's got some of the best counter-attacks in the games - which is important since you're always dodging in automata. 2B and A2 tend to knock enemies super far away in their counters (or in the case of 2B's sword counter, launch herself into the air for no reason while the enemy remains stapled to the ground). People complain about him only having one button, but he still has light and heavy attacks (though admittedly the input for heavy attacks is kinda weird) as well as charge moves and dash attacks. Really, my main issue with 9s was that the game kept trying to get me to hack when I just wanted to hit things with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Wow, what a loving trip. Taro Yoko continues to surprise me, even after I think I know all of his tricks. I've completed Endings A-E. Still need to upgrade everything, complete all the miniquests, and fight the superbosses. I have a lot of thoughts about the game, but I'm just going to posit a few questions and discussion points off the top of my head right now:

1. I'm not sure if I fully understood why info on Project Gestalt/Popola's Library was in the Tower. I guess the machines knew that humanity was extinct since they set up YoRHa, and by extension, the Council of Humanity, to perpetuate their endless existential war. But I'm not sure what they mean about the machine's containing the "ghost of humanity".

I've seen people say that the council of humanity was set up by machines before, but I'm almost positive that it and YoRHa were set up by other androids. The documents even mention using machine cores for YoRHa because using standard android AI would be unethical, which doesn't make a lot of sense unless the authors of the documents are androids.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ending D spoilers

youtube video url id > MHTgWxmUKTw

I beat her with melee so I never saw this. This is the coolest thing
(The fourth time she is hacked)

That's an really complex hacking sequence considering 9s is not actually particularly worse than the other characters at swording people to death. It seems like hacking in that fight is significantly harder/more time consuming than just "counter with sword, win forever". Maybe it's just meant as just an Easter egg, since I imagine most people would only melee at that point.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Depending on your interpretation of intel, the machine network, the terminal AI and such, I think it's at least possible (probably not likely though) that you did kick the rear end of the people who created or caused Project YoRHa.

The epilogue-ish document you get after finishing the game (the machine research document) implies that the guys behind YoRHa are still alive/around, as Jackass explicitly states that she wants to track them down and kill them despite knowing exactly what went down in the tower

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 17, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

yeah the bleeping his name was weird whyd they do that?

Honestly it's probably because the voice clip said "Sartre" but they had to change it to Jean-Paul for reasons, and didn't want to record the line again.

Maybe the beep is in the Japanese release too, I dunno.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

So, I have an odd question for those of you with any knowledge of Japanese. (Route B spoilers) So, when 9S is trapped in his own mind or whatever and Adam is messing with him, Adam says something along the lines of "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2b , aren't you?". I assumed the point of that statement was that **** could stand for both "gently caress" or "kill", since they're both four letter words and fit into the weird sex-and-violence themes that the game has going, like with the strangling scene. But the game is Japanese, which makes me wonder - what was that line in the original Japanese text? Having **** stand for either word only works in English. Do they do something similar, or did it perhaps turn out that they were explicitly referring to one word, not both?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm still right at the beginning of the game (I just finished the amusement park and discovered the goofy robot village), and I just got hit by a gigantic influx of sidequests. Will the main plot give me some kind of heads-up if I'm about to start a quest that will fail unfinished sidequests, or should I take a session and make a point of finishing all of 'em off before I move on with the story?

There is a point in the story where all of those sidequests will fail, and it comes kinda out of nowhere. However, due to how the game is structured, you will have another chance to do (most) of those sidequests later on, and it should be pretty obvious when they fail for the second and last time. At the very end you get a chapter select so you can do anything you missed, however.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Trophies seem really bugged in this game, though. I completed all endings but I'm still missing trophies like "clear the forest area". The trophy for finishing the desert only popped in my second play through, and a ton of other ones are missing.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm I found a way up from that cavern that leads to what looks like a series of platforms I can jump across, but the second one feels like it's covered in a collision volume; is that the right path?

I know exactly which one you're talking about, because I made that same mistake, and no that's not the right one at all. If I remember correctly, The path to where you need to go is on the left-ish side of the cave when the view becomes top-down

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am 99% sure that the only ones in control are the machines / machine network. There is no human AI or genomes or whatever the gently caress on the moon. There is probably just some skeleton crew that runs the fake broadcasts to give the androids something to believe in. The machine network keeps setting up Yorha and fighting them so they can evolve. Once Yorha runs it's course, they blow it up and rebuild a newer set of androids to fight against so they can keep evolving.

Yorha was set up by androids. The androids specifically used machine cores to make Yorha because they thought it would be more humane, which makes no sense if the creators ARE machines. The point (as far as I can tell) is that the machines had no interest in winning the war because they would stop evolving, and the androids behind Yorha had no real interest in winning the war because it would mean that the lie about humans on the moon would get out. Basically, the resistance/Yorha soldiers were getting hosed by both sides, being forced to fight a war that no one really wanted to win.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Snak posted:

edit: I'm not sure that I agree completely with the idea that 2B is in love with 9S. Platonic and familial love are major themes in the story. 2B being a big sister to 9S seems at least as likely as her being in love with him.

I'd normally agree with you but there is a lot of uncomfortable sexual symbolism in the game regarding those two (the strangling scene, the thing 9s does with the dead 2b copy before he rips off its arm, etc.) It feels like their relationship is meant to have a romantic/sexual aspect that the audience is not necessarily supposed to be totally on board with. Of course, it's really subtle so I might just be misreading/overthinking things.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

StringOfLetters posted:

I had pretty good results equipping 9S with a Large Sword and beating on stuff. Dash+attack gives a big, hearty sweep. Standing still has a pretty good combo that can hit guys from far away. His dodge-then-counter-attack is almost as good as 2B's. As long as you can make peace with the fact that you'll be batting people to death for a little while, and you can't furiously rush towards a beat-down, he's fine at normal violence.

I found letting enemies bunch together and then spamming perfect-dodge + counterattack with a small sword equipped worked pretty well. It looks cool too and that's what's most important.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Snak posted:

So, I went to Emil's house, and I didn't k ow what to do (I expected him to be there), so I stole his mask. Then I went and talked to him whole wearing it. He told me a bandit broke into his house. I swear Im just trying to finish the gathering keepsakes questline. I'm not even sure I can... I don't know how to start Emil's questline. I assumed it involved going to his house...

Edit: how does chapter​ select interact with in progress quests? Because I am really tired of being 9S, but I don't want to have to redo all of gathering keepsakes by switching out...

In general, going to chapter select resets all current quest progress. Some are exceptions, like the unit data one (since unit data doesn't reset) or the scientist you have to give money to.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

. I think the thing with the forest kingdom is that it's okay to kill them because they are openly hostile to everyone, including the village of machines (you can find a room where you can eavesdrop on them planning a preemptive assault on the village) but it's not really clear until you already murdering them all. It comes off as a bit strange

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

. Yeah, it's weird. It's like a reverse of the usual Yoko Taro thing. Instead of "actually, the thing that seemed good was bad all along", it's "actually, you were totally justified in attacking those guys that seemingly just wanted to be left alone, you just didn't know it yet". Doesn't mesh well with the themes of the game

Edit: Just so we're clear, I mean the sudden murdering doesn't fit. The forest kingdoms theme of how blind loyalty can lead to betraying the very principles they swore to protect in the first place works well and I like it.

Edit edit: To be honest the forest kingdom functions better as a criticism of religion than the factory part does

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 26, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yep. Superboss spoilers I'm like 100% sure that it's supposed to be the original. His lines all during the fight reflect it (he calls them "his clones", recalling Kaine etc) and when he passes away he sees Kaine (and I assume Nier).

Wouldn't the clones have had those memories too? I thought the point was that it flat out didn't matter who the "original" was since they are all basically identical. Even if they aren't "truly" Emil, they look, think, and act like him, and have the potential to regain his memories, so for all intents and purposes they ARE him. Kind of like humans and and androids, now that I think about it!

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Moatman posted:

So the game crashed shortly after the first Engels as 9s (during the cutscene where you're doing 2B's startup). So I restarted it and I don't appear to have save data anymore. And then it crashed again.
:negative:
e: Let's see if Steam Cloud has my old data but I may just blitz a clear on Easy without sidequests. Are there any that only 2B can do? I know that there are some 9S specific but can't find anything about 2B.

Any involving operator 60 are 2B only. There's also one in the bunker hanger that only 2B can get. I think there's at least one more, but there aren't many - 9S has access to a LOT more sidequests than she does.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

Okay fished route C/D and E yesterday, i teared up too. a question though, What's the deal with Gestalts and Replicates? i know it's a Neir one thing but the game doesn't really explain who or what they are very well. my assumption was Gestalts are human minds and Replicates where artificial bodies that gained consciousness. did replicates become androids or did they die out too? Is this all explained in Neir 1?

You're more or less right about how Gestalts and Replicants worked (although Gestalts are "souls"). All the gestalts and replicants died because Nier, the main character of the first game (who was a replicant), murdered his gestalt, who was the final boss. Turns out, his specific Gestalt was the only thing keeping the other Gestalts sane due to some convoluted bullshit! As a result, all the Gestalts went crazy and died off, and replicants couldn't be reproduced without their associated Gestalt, so they all died off too.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Spermanent Record posted:

I'm very late to this thread but should I still buy this game if I really like Devil May Cry, fighting games and WESTERN RPGS and don't like Anime or JRPGs at all?

It's weird to me to just blanket dislike all anime ( and jrpgs, for that matter. There's a world of difference between, say, crono trigger and SMT), but the answer is probably no. The combat is fun but pretty straightforward, and becomes more frustrating than anything at higher difficulties. And the game is pretty anime in a lot of ways.

Edit: oh wow yeah, devil may cry is super anime. Maybe you like it more than you think!

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Sindai posted:

I realized there was something about the backstory I'm not clear on: how old is YoRHa, how many times has it been 'reset,' and who's doing the resetting? YoRHa appears to be the only android group with advanced technology, is it assumed there's some other enclave of androids with the resources to build new Bunkers we just never see?

There's some other conclave of androids with the resources to build at least one bunker and a (small) moonbase, but we don't know where they are or who they are other than that they are amoral dicks and are willing to do really messed up stuff to people for the "greater good". They might have some measure of control over non-YoRHa androids as well, since I THINK it's implied that they are also the group of androids that reprogrammed devola and popola units to only feel guilt.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

immortal flow posted:

Just blitzed routes C, D and E. That was draining. I kinda want to use my save game backup to go achievement / content hunting but it all feels a bit pointless now.

Is it correct to say, then, that Yorha androids are strictly speaking not androids at all, but rather android-shaped machines? The point of that plot revelation I'm guessing was to have 9S / the player question the difference between the nature of android conciousness and machine conciousness. Also, that the resistance androids and the Commander herself are the old-fashioned human-made AI type?

I think they're meant to be somewhere in between. Not quite android, but not fully machine either

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Reminder that 9s does have heavy attacks. You do them by evading and then immediately attacking, or by pausing for a bit in an attack string. I think you can also just hold down R2 as well.

Either way, I found 9s's small sword counter worked wonders on clusters of enemies, and that the small sword had a decent moveset in general. I did most encounters by just hitting things with said sword and had a pretty good time.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

McKilligan posted:

Alright, I just beat BEAT the game, and I'm still pretty puzzled about stuff - I guess I'll spoiler it just in case. I'm pretty sure most of this has been addressed before, but I'm not gonna scan 190+ pages to find it.

-When was YorHa formed, and for what purpose? Was it just to oversee and monitor the Gestalt Project? It's pretty clear that YorHa's combat androids and the resistance's androids are distinct, separate entities. I guess YorHa androids are advanced enough to upgrade themselves and even design new units, but was YorHa as we know it established before or after the alien/robot invasion? By the time the aliens/robots arrive, the humans were long since dead, so who gave YorHa the new directive to form a resistance army in space? Was YorHa command able to modify the parameters of it's mission to that degree?

-Is it the case that the consciousnesses within the machine network established YorHa in order to pit them against one another to force adaptation and evolutionary change? On that note, who/what/why built that big spire at the end, and what was it's purpose? Blow up the moon? Collect data on the android/robot war so they can adapt further?

I think I can answer both of these in one go. There was an unknown group of androids sort of overseeing the 'overseer' androids of the gestalt project (the latter being androids like Devola and Popola). These androids had enough power to do mass repogrammings on entire android models. It is somewhat implied that this group would go on to develop YoRHa, as a means to trick the other androids (who were getting pretty sad about humanity being gone) into thinking that humanity is still around. They built YoRHa to die, to make it even less likely that the secret would get out, but planned to develop a new, more advanced generation of androids afterwards. Jackass implies that this group of android manipulators is still active in the Machine Research Report. The Machines did not make YoRHa. However, they were totally cool with it existing, since it would help them evolve. There's SOME argument to be made that the group of androids behind YoRHa were ALSO cool with the war never really ending, since that would mean that the lie about humanity could go on forever, but there's no direct evidence that it is the case.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 18, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Okay, going to give this my best shot. No promises I'm right, though.

=YoRHa was formed, as far as I can tell, after the aliens arrived by androids who figured that things were hosed and they might as well try to use this as a morale booster. The Commander's a non-YoRHa model (also a friend/possible fuckbuddy of Jackass's) who was assigned control of the project, which is why she knew about the humans are dead deal. Basically, it was made for androids, by androids, consisting of one android and a lot of re-purposed machine parts.

I'm pretty sure this is all correct, but I think it's worth adding that the Commander was still basically a pawn, and didn't know that YoRHa's final purpose was to be destroyed

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You should play SOMA and see if you're smarter than its protagonist

Remember how in SOMA a big twist happens midway through the game when the protagonist switches bodies and he's shocked at the implications, and then at the end the EXACT SAME THING happens and he's somehow even MORE shocked at the thing he already experienced, and the game treats it like a massive twist?

SOMA tried very hard but the plot was bad and I'm glad Automata handled really similar concepts better.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

KamikazePotato posted:

The game doesn't treat it as a massive twist. It's only shocking to the main character, whose companion flat-out calls him stupid for not realizing it the second time around. While not perfect, Soma had a pretty great plot from what I could tell.

I was being a bit harsh - I did enjoy the game. It had a lot of good pieces but it didn't feel like they all fit together too well.

I still liked automata's take on the concepts better, though.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It's pronounced like automaton. A-tom-a-ta.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nina posted:

It actually does start with an "oh" like phonetic rather than "ay" as far as I know since it comes from Greek

Whoops, yeah, you're right. The distribution of syllables should be about right, though.

HenryEx posted:

WHo cares about Automata, how do you even pronounce Nier correctly, i mean i'm going for something similar to "Ny-ar"

I have wondered this same thing for many a year.

Another thing I wondered - the main character in Nier is referred to as Nier, right? So, is the game named after a character who is never actually named in game? I remember the character naming screen starting blank rather than with a default name. Or is calling the character "Nier" something that came after the game came out, when people weren't sure what to call him?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I wish you didn't remind me that beauty and the beast corps was a thing. I guess they are a lot of similarities though - both have DARK AND TRAGIC pasts that are mostly elaborated on through overly long text (or dialogue) dumps. It isn't remotely as bad in Automata, thankfully

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I think I would have been more willing to delete my save if the premise behind it wasn't a blatant lie, but I guess it HAD to be in order for people to be able to finish that game and get the 'full' experience behind the credits. Unless it's suppose to be a callback to how lies like 'humans are alive on the moon' were used to motivate androids and others, and how we can also find meaning through a similar lie and- oh my god I cracked the case

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Haven't sold it yet i'll check that out!

About the story, let's see: cliche of mankind's creation also being the downfall of civilization a la Terminator, some sort of nuclear holocaust maybe? whoever was left went to go hang out on the moon while these android things mop up the robots left and there's a virus at some point but then come to find there's no more humans around and the organization was in on it

yeah sorry I don't really pay attention

In regards to the first bit (spoilers for Nier 1, although most of it is explained in Automata) the disease that wipes out most of mankind is actually the work of a god from another dimension. The project gestalt documents you find in the recovery units go into detail about what humanity tried to do to combat this illness - basically the disease forced people to sell their soul and become a salt monster, or NOT sell their soul and just kinda turn into salt and die, so they decided they were just gonna separate human souls from their body, make a bunch of fake bodies (biological, not really androids) for themselves, and then just kinda hang around for hundreds of years until the disease went away. The fake bodies became sentient because that's kinda how things GO in the Nier universe, and they assumed the human souls (gestalts) were monsters, because gestalts had a nasty habit of going crazy and attacking people for no reason. Anyway, one rear end in a top hat ruined everything for everyone and long story all the gestalts and replicants are gone now.

Nier 1 had a lot of magic bullshit in it.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 7, 2017

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Dabir posted:

9S has a really neat thing with his bare hands where the charged attack is some sort of stun burst thing. Seems strange that they put in the effort considering nobody would ever see it.

Yeah his barehanded moveset is surprisingly polished and unique. Maybe there’s some chipset that makes it viable? It’s a really weird detail - I’m kind of surprised you can unequip your weapon at all.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Beelerzebub posted:

Is it worth it to play the Drakengard games and Nier before playing Automata?

Never actually play Drakengard yourself, that game is very bad and has very little to do with Automata. The Dark Id has a good lp that's worth looking into - there are parts of it that are interesting when you aren't suffering through it yourself. It might be worth playing Nier first if you can, though Automata stands on its own fine. You'll just be missing out on some backstory, and there will be some references that'll go over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

In Nier 1, do I just reload after ending C and choose differently to get ending D?

Is there anything different in a fourth playthrough if you save after C and load from that save?

I don't think there's anything different in a fourth playthrough. You should be good just reloading your save. That's what I did, anyway.