Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I just really liked when previous Platinum games slowed time every time I times a dodge/parry well, to show me that I did good.
It felt good that way.

Yeah. I'm hoping for that being an upgrade at least.

I just played the demo and that absolutely happened when I did a last second dodge of an attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The boxes touched

L-l-lewd.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wendell posted:

100% of the trending screenshots on PS4 are rear end/upskirt shots of 2B.

It's very upsetting. Where are my upskirt shots of Wesker sentry?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nina posted:

Seems to have friends in high places who recognize his talents and keep enabling his game development despite repeated commercial failures.

Speaking of friends in high places:

"Drakenhard 3 Interview posted:

To sort of change the topic a little, I remember back in the day when I used to hang out with some friends at an arcade in a local shopping street. There was this really long roof that some of us liked to climb up and walk up and down the thing for awhile. One time, though, one of my friends slipped and died from the fall.

He was completely motionless except for his “goods”…… It was an undeniably horrible event but it was still kinda funny to have noticed something like that. I remember laughing with the others about it.

All his interviews are great and should be read.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nina posted:

I'm half expecting an ending to be locked behind something absurd like "collect all the weapons and beat Very Hard with the save point chip unequipped"

It has a Nier-style repeat playthrough but the repeat playthroughs force on the higher difficulty levels. :getin:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nina posted:

2 is the point where they went "maybe if we moderate Taro this will become marketable" but it was just a bad move in general.

IIRC he wanted to make it an arcadey game about dragons in space.

To my understanding it kind of worked since Drakengard 2 is the most popular entry in the series in Japan.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vanrushal posted:

I'm cool with this as long as the repeats start from the beginning of the game and not at the halfway point again. I somehow managed to find and complete all the first half sidequests without a guide and without knowing where NG+ starts so luckily I dodged that bullet but goddamn what a dick move.

Eh, you do miss out on content but you can just start a new game if you really want to do them. None of them are needed to actually complete the game, and starting from the halfway point makes far more sense from a pacing perspective.

I'd prefer Nier 2 to be designed for starting from the beginning, mainly for maximum new enemy placements, but where exactly they start you doesn't matter so long as they don't cut you off from important content.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DanielCross posted:

Drakengard 2 had exactly one contribution to the rest if the series, in that it established Dragons being an opposing existence to the Watchers, a detail which forms much of the backbone for Drakengard 3's plot.

From what I remember diving into the Drakengard wiki once, apparently both the dragons and the watchers were both made by the Drakengard universe God because he wanted to gently caress with humans. Also that it's literally the biblical God, with Jesus' death being the splitting point for our universe's and theirs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah and neir runs smooth on it

At 900p apparently. Not that I noticed, but it's worth mentioning.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

I downloaded the Automata demo on a whim not knowing anything about nier a few days back, played through it not realizing at all it was made by the Bayonetta team and now am super looking forward to the release. I then went on a binge watching a LP of nier and some wiki diving and I have a question which may or may not have an answer?

So, since Gestalt Nier is dead/gone, the the world is effectively doomed as all remaining gestalts will go feral, thus causing their associated replicants to get the black scrawl and die right? So with this in mind how exactly is there some humans/androids left for Automata? Or is this supposed to be a mystery?

I don't think Gestalt Nier was important at that point. He was only important initially because he was the first successful test case for separating soul from body, and they had since figured out how to do that on a mass scale (hence all the shades about). In Devola's and Popola's notes they mentioned holding back on re-uniting the gestalts with their replicant bodies because they were waiting for a bacterial disease to die out. Then in the meantime the replicants started to develop sapience and the gestalts started going bonkers which kind of put the kibosh on the reunification plans.

In the Japan-only novellas (which are fan translated) the remaining gestalts and replicants end up annihilated by the attacking aliens and then sometime after true humans appear. So it could be something as mundane as "they didn't actually die and just started reunification" or something crazy. Only Sith Lord Yoko Taro knows.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

verbal enema posted:

March??? Wtf that's lame

I mixed up the Nioh launch and this didn't i

Probably.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

redreader posted:

Do I 'need' to do all the endings? I mean ... I don't normally sperg out too hard.

You need to at least get ending B. Ng+ changes things up significantly in terms of the story. And I'd strongly recommend getting endings C and D as well since they are very good and just watching them wouldn't be the same.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nohman posted:

Well you say that but... Papa Nier kind of forgot about the whole "curing his daughter" thing after she got kidnapped.

He doesn't need to cure her at that point. The Black Scrawl is just the signs of a shade attempting to occupy a Replicant body. Gestalt Yonah dies in all of the endings so Replicant Yonah is fine from then on.

Tomie knows me posted:

This is the exact sort of poo poo I'm talking about here.

They are, but specific endings are still canon for specific sequels. E.g. Drakengard 2 being on the A ending line, while Nier is on the E ending line, from Drakengard.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There's an NPC named Jackass. :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

If you wait for pc release you know you gonna get spoiled on everything because that's the penalty waiters get. How about get a ps4 and have fun with your new console friends :)

Hell anyone in the west is likely to get spoiled with the Japanese version coming out two weeks prior.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Apparently the Japanese release will also contain English subs and the dub.

Got a source for this?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Augus posted:

I mean, the demo did

If it does have full English audio and text then it makes it really weird why they delayed the NA release at all.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbj96AUUCs

:syoon:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trophy spoilers are out, and apparently they're quite spoilery. To the point that this is the first time I'm going to avoid looking at them, and I do not give the slightest poo poo about spoilers normally.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think Hard was the ideal mode to start Rising on. It didn't lock you out of mechanics like this game does. Conversely, I think playing on Normal is bad training for Hard and up because you have a lot more time and space to hit the squares in blade mode. This game just doesn't really play much like Rising though, it's not very comparable.

Same. Hard felt like the real normal difficulty and Normal felt like a gussied-up easier difficulty, to me. On Normal you could pretty much just button mash and get through fine, outside of Monsoon, Sundowner, and Armstrong.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone know if it's possible to add items to the quick menu you access by pressing down on the d-pad?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

widespread posted:

Wait, poo poo. There's a demo? Hot drat, see y'all in a bit.

The actual game is out if you're willing to buy through the HK or JP PSN store. Full English and everything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's funny, despite this being developed by Platinum this game still has a lot of really badly designed gameplay. The big open areas in this do the game no favors, since they're largely empty and just make you take longer to get to the NPCs/quest locations. First Nier was way better about this. Also the combat is honestly a lot less fun than the first Nier. You get a lot of combos but most of them don't seem all that better than the basic light and heavy attack combos, meanwhile the equivalent to the awesome magic from the first game is both more limited (you can only equip one at a time as far as I can tell) and prohibitively expensive, costing as much as the weapons to purchase.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

The age of black spoiler text is now upon us :(

For me who is a platinum guy how about some non plot stuff, anyone playing the game on hard? what's that like? Any cool combos or combat tech?

This is from the demo but it holds true in the full game as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m8A5wcOpQI

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

Some people think OG Nier is better gameplay than Automata, are you one of those

Honestly they're about equal. One of the nice things about Nier 1 is its simplicity which makes it easy to play and just enjoy the story. Whereas Nier Automata is more complicated and requires more attention but still has a lot of really poorly designed gameplay stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Wondering if I should buy the JP version of this now, the US version on Tuesday, or the PC version next week.

I mean if you were going to get the JP version you should have done it a week and a half ago. At this point you might as well wait for the NA release if that's your primary account, especially since it's cheaper.

No reason to wait for the PC release if you have a PS4 unless you're super obsessed with graphical fidelity. Nier:A isn't going to be a looker no matter how many pixels they pump in so the 900p(mostly)60 is perfectly serviceable.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone know if there's a list anywhere showing off where to get the weapons? I only have a little over half and I've done most of the side quests/all primary endings, so I'm guessing it's esoteric bullshit like fishing in the sewers.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you're talking about the first game, I think the common consensus is that spears are overwhelmingly more powerful than other weapon options once you get access to them.

It's the same in automata too :ssh:

Really? I've played around with spears and while they're nice in the heavy slot the light attacks leave a lot to be desired.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So just so I know, the ending path is A, B, C or D, and E right? I don't need to repeat the third play through just to pick the other ending before moving to the E path?

No, but not for the reason you think. (slight end-game mechanical spoiler)Once you get ending C or D you unlock the ability to freely move between the game's chapters and sub-chapters.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

A lot of what I've seen is people playing on hard because they're real tough guys and then being super afraid of getting close to enemies because every hit does 90 to 100% of their health. but of course they'll never turn the difficulty down.

The annoying thing is that there is no well-tuned difficulty if you want challenging but not absurdly so. Normal is hilariously easy and doesn't even require you to pay attention most of the time (and this is doubly true later on when you can get some broken plug-in chip setups) while hard is one/two-shot city.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh, so everything kills you in 2 hits if you start on hard huh. I have to shame myself by going to normal then :(

*ed*

Haha didn't even see the preceding discussion. I have died 4 times now in the tutorial area and it forces you to restart the game without a checkpoint each time so gently caress hard mode for now.

To continue complaining about hard mode, it's even dumber because using the defense boosting items pretty much brings damage back down to normal difficulty levels. Since they're so cheap to purchase you can pretty much cheese hard mode if you're willing to go into the item menu once or twice every fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Four bosses in. Does it get dramatically better? I'm gonna stick around for the music and plot weirdness, but right now I'm not a fan of it as a game. I knew the overworld would be less Platinumy but expected the dungeons to be on par with the demo... feeling a bit misled.

It's especially frustrating because Hard on the demo was tuned just right. In the final build everything is too lethal to for me, at least on a first run... and Normal is what I would imagine Very Easy would be. Neither are fun. I'm either sleepwalking to story moments or tearing my hair out.

It does not. I've done everything aside from an optional superboss and I'm honestly not that impressed with the gameplay. It's better than the first Nier but that's not exactly a high bar to clear, and while it is overall fun the balance skewing towards things being either pushovers or murderbots kind of puts a damper on things.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

So uh, 3 crash to home menu, one of them I couldn't hear any sound for a while and the characters heads were stuck inside their chests.

I guess this is my harsh welcome back to Japanese developed games after playing the smoothness of Horizon.

If we're talking stereotypes isn't it usually Japanese games that are polished to a mirror sheen while western ones are flaming wrecks worthy of Icarus?

That's weird to hear that you're having major issues, though; aside from the one game breaking bug that occurred if you started before the game had finished downloading, I haven't heard many complaints in that regard.

InnercityGriot posted:

I think the combat on hard is legit good, you just die quickly. Your dodge is really overpowered in this game.

Regardless of what you think of the combat, the opinion you have at the start is pretty much going to be the opinion you have at the end, since there really aren't any significant unlocks or anything that changes the core gameplay.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

the game starts raining machine cores on you later.

This is pretty much the answer. Around halfway through playthrough 2 I wasn't really wanting for money. It's materials for your weapons that are going to be in short supply.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doing a second full playthrough, just had a realization after fighting Adam the first time. There's a bit of dialogue from either 2B or 9S that plays before that when you're wandering around the ruined city that mentions how, recently, more and more machines have stopped being violence and just stand around doing nothing in particular. The machines that come together to birth Adam repeatedly chant "this cannot continue" and one of the first things that Adam does is to ask why 2B and 9S are fighting him. Then fast forward later and Adam is loving obsessed with violence and hatred.

Perhaps I was slow in this realization, but that suggests Adam was birthed in an attempt to broker peace, which is likely why he looks not just like a human, but like a YorHa model android in particular, what with the pale skin and silver hair. And 2B's and 9S's immediate violence towards him is what teaches him to love hate. Which in turn causes all of the poo poo that happens up to the death of Eve. Now granted, things still would end up taking a nosedive after that anyway, but it's interesting to note how 2B and 9S are directly responsible for a lot of the bad poo poo that happens in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

He goes to 60 and it's super tedious. I tried the fight at 30 and ran out of all my buffs, and I guess sort of spoiler about that quest the fucker gets back up again after you beat him for round 2, though he's admittedly easier.

(playthrough 2 spoilers) It's way easier if you wait until for that since you can just hack him a few times with 9S and kill him that way.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

You could probably up the difficulty then by never using any chips or upgrading your weapons, I guess.

Neither of which are especially good solutions, given this is an action RPG and thus building your character is a significant part of the gameplay. And in the case of weapons you're missing out on the cool level 4 abilities and the weapon stories.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Artelier posted:

I finished ending A and never found any trader that sold combat bracers. If I was supposed to have already found the trader, spoil me who/where it is.

On the first playthrough the only ones available are one in a hidden shrine in the forest and two that you can purchase from Emil. He has different inventory depending on where he is on the map. He'll change routes after you stop and talk to him enough times, apparently.

If you're on the second playthrough you can easily get a pair of bracers from the locked chest next to the Access Point at the Resistance Camp.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Huzanko posted:

So, I'v heard the gameplay changes about a third of the way through and supposedly it's a turnoff for some. Any hints as to what this change is?

Probably referring to playthrough 2 where you control 9S. His heavy attack is replaced with the ability to hack enemies to make them explode/mind control them, and the hacking itself is a small shooter minigame. Though the more important heavy attacks (e.g. the launcher) are moved to a light attack input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

I mean, the game also features a (context-free spoilers)robot orgy that culminates in a gooey live birth, and at least one instance of strangling someone to death that also functions as a sex scene, so if you think the outfit is the most of your worries, it's probably not for you, to be totally honest.

I imagine their issue is with the creepy sexualization of a female character which isn't really present in either of those scenarios.