Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Started over and I'm trying to finish all the stuff on Route A, there's a couple things that are giving me problems that I managed right away the first time.

I need to find a Desert Rose to send a picture to 6O. The first time I did this one, the rose was the first thing I got from the item spawn outside the oil well, but this time it's not showing up.

Also, Emil's shop seems to be stuck on the route by the desert, mostly seems to sell materials but I have had him sell chips a couple of times. I hear that you need to get him to move near the Resistance camp before he sells weapons, is there any confirmed way to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nina posted:

Run laps between the mall and the city-end of the bridge. As soon as you reach the end of the bridge he respawns so check the map. If he's not right in front of the resistance camp repeat until he is

By the bridge, you mean the rope bridge to the mall?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alright, didn't seem like this was making a difference for the little I tried but I can keep giving it a go. I really think he's stuck though.

I had a look at the OP and ran a quick search and I don't think anyone's posted anything like this, so here goes: I've been experimenting and made a movelist for 2B including what acrobatic moves you can and can't do in specific orders. It's complete and accurate as far as I know so I figured I'd drop it here in case it helps anyone out. I know a lot of people don't find the pod grenade or the flying kick thing so you never know what you might have missed.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Finished route C over the weekend, I'm now finishing up sidequests and upgrading weapons since I guess there's not much left. Ending D is pretty obvious, but is E another long chapter or am I close to the end in terms of hours spent?

And how come nobody is talking about the fact that the aliens are literally big walking dicks?

The aliens are Generic Japanese Martians, they're the equivalent of little green men. Check out the Mars People from Metal Slug, same thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blaine the Train posted:

God is there an easy way to get Pure Water? I just want to upgrade my dang pod and I'm two short. :(

Grab the items near the Flooded City access point. If you got any, save. Load game and do it again until you're done.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

His message doesn't affect anything as far as I can see. I saw everything he had before receiving that message.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mackerel is like all other fish, you can sell it for money. Unlike other fish, you can also eat mackerel; MAKE SURE YOU SAVE BEFORE YOU DO. Ribbons are just cosmetic accessories.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So, uh, how are you supposed to get this? I got it using a sequence of cancelled small sword air heavies that a friend told me about but that feels too exploity to be the right way.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 9, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tunahead posted:

Yoko Taro became a thing when the zeitgeist caught up with him.

Yoko Taro thought about how most video games are about committing mass murder but bizarrely their protagonists just act like regular normal people. In 2003, he released Drakengard, which is the story of an enormous bloodbath and the mass murderer who revels in it. In 2012, Spec Ops: The Line did a similar thing and people praised it for its amazing story.

Don't forget No More Heroes was doing something similar in 2007.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's exactly the opposite, I'm pretty sure it just makes you take big damage from everything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

9S can cancel his air combo into another air combo twice and his rising attacks (jump + attack) are all pretty good, also after a down attack his combo can keep going with the last few hits of his ground combo. Holding the attack button throws your weapon, people have already talked about how heavies work. Also check out his bare fists, they have a totally different style from 2B's fists and the weapon throw on them is a projectile that does no damage but knocks the enemy down for ages.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RanKizama posted:

Why didn't 9S get Emil's outfit? That seems like a missed opportunity.

Does this have any correlation with the Machines and Androids going ape-poo poo when they get red eyes?

Might do, but Red Eye was a singular entity, the leader of the Legion.

E: There's that theory that the aliens and machine cores being plant-like indicates they're another thing sent by the God of Drakengard to wipe out humanity. Or possibly, since humanity's already gone, to clean up the leftover androids and serve as God's ideal replacement. And Eve gets a symbol that looks a hell of a lot like the Cult of the Watchers on his chest when he goes mad.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RanKizama posted:

Yeah. Work your camera to look up 2B's skirt a few times to get your creeper achieve. There's one for 9S as well if you enjoy playing with no pants on like I do.

You'll know when you're doing it wrong right cause 2B will look around and jump back. Make her do that ten times and you get the achievement.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You only get that info if you fished it but you still have Jackass saying it "does something terrible to androids" and "don't blame me if it kills ya" and a save point right there and who the hell isn't compulsively saving? Especially after you get fast travel, just press A one more time every time you open a terminal it's not difficult

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also, before I pass out and forget-- the talk about people paying more for unique/original stuff is all psychology, not any inherent actual "better original-ness". If you read Terry Pratchett, the Scone of Stone from Thud! comes immediately to mind, but the upshot is if you have a forgery that's close enough to the original that nobody can tell it's not the original, does it matter that it's not the original? And does the answer to that question change if you know for a fact the original doesn't exist anymore?

Strictly speaking the Scone was first introduced, along with the whole Ship of Theseus thing, in The Fifth Elephant.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah Gatling's upgrades are weird cause they seem like they'd be really powerful but they aren't.

First upgrade makes the first shot bigger and do double damage, second makes it fire a bomb after you've been firing for a certain time, third makes the bomb a cluster bomb if you've been firing even longer. Or you could use your weapons. Or just keep firing. They're basically worthless.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It was kinda cute, it's just horrid to listen to. I can deal when it's a kid doing it 'cos kids are kids but grown adults? Bugs me to death.

You're gonna be really upset if you ever leave your house.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm British and my eardrums are fine, you're just a grump.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Are you sure you're not accidentally playing the original Nier?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

so does counter not interrupt your combos like what happens with dodges? what is the timing, do you only tilt your stick towards the mob during the dodge window, or can you hold down the stick?

im guessing you can't counter really big attacks from large type enemies

Counter works like dodges, you can follow it up with your weapon counterattack, though not the pod counterattack. As far as I'm aware, you can counter everything including the Goliath biped's grab. Holding the stick won't work​ and the timing is fairly tight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Counters deal damage proportionate to what you would have taken, so they depend entirely on the enemy being stronger to work. High level chips have ridiculous returns and of course they're much stronger (and riskier) on Hard. A Counter+6 is how I beat a certain rooftop-based challenge fight in Route A. Even if you don't like them, you may as well leave one in just in case it happens by accident and blocks an attack you would have taken.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That one yeah, you have to climb the nearby water tower thing on a roof then you can get over easily.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I like hackining and one of those boxes seriously took me something like 20+ tries. I left and saved, there was no way I was gonna do that again.

Oh yeah while I'm on the subject of hacking. Optional secret boss stuff: So I needed to be 9S to get through Emil's door and steal his stuff, but I really don't want to fight him as 9S, I want that heavy attack. Can I play on a bit in route C and return as 2A to fight him? Also does that stop him spawning as a shop?

No, you have to fight him as 9S. Just use hacking, that boss is some bullshit. And you probably want to hit level 99 first so that your hacking actually does noticable damage.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The turret one is one of the only minigames I have completed so suck it.

I have it on PC so I switched to the mouse for that one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Contingency Plan posted:

Question about ending D "Ah...so that's were you were." What did 9S mean by this? Like another final line of cryptic dialogue uttered by a JRPG character, it reminds me of "Ramza...what did you get?"

While I'm at it, concerning the logic virus [post ending B spoilers]: Is there any backstory about its origin? There is some speculation that the God of Drakengard hated humanity so much that he was unsatisfied when he learned of humanity's extinction and personally coded a virus that would destroy humanity's successors, the androids. Did the God or the machine lifeforms create it?

I don't see any reason to think that the machines didn't make it themselves. It's been around for a long time, it's mentioned in Anemone's magic backstory computer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Each pod upgrade adds a tiny amount of damage and a special extra ability that's not as good as the designer probably thought it was. For your first upgrade, Gatling gets one double damage shot every time you start firing, Laser gets a couple of seconds of double damage when you start firing and Missile gets nothing as far as I can tell. If you have to focus on upgrading one, pick Laser since all of its upgrades are pretty decent.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 30, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

At the second upgrade, yes. First gives nothing visible.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Uh-huh.

Nah. Making the choice is separate from getting C/D and E.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah well I made the right decision too. The first time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I'm pretty early in the game (just did the second flying segment vs a repeat boss) - how much should I pay attention to buying and upgrading weapons? I played Nier 1 and there I didn't do much besides buy whichever weapon types I liked that were most powerful, and since that game had them upgrade on kills I didn't have to worry about upgrades.

They upgraded with materials in Nier 1. You're thinking of Drakengard 1.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ularg posted:

Maybe I'm way too early then, because I ran into a tank in the desert that was just a couple levels above me and it took for loving ever to kill.

(I pulled this image of it off google, I'm on my first playthrough and was only level 21-22 when I fought it)

Oh god yeah gently caress those things.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RanKizama posted:

It's still there, but not as easily farmed since I guess you can't hack-activate it anymore.

Just takes a little punching. If you watch its feet, you can actually see that your attacks move it, I don't think it needs to go a specific distance but it's a way you can tell that you're doing something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Trico posted:

Is there a minimum level requirement or specific chapter select to wake up the bunny? I beat up on it at level 70 for a solid 5 minutes with both A2 and 9S to no effect.

Might only be doable in A and B.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I'm just glad this game gives you a fun way to deal with flying enemies, unlike Revengeance which didn't even bother.

edit: Unless you count the rocket launchers that you have to go into a menu to equip, hold a button to manually aim, direct with the camera controls because they don't lock on, and stand totally still while you are aiming them. I do not count that

You can lock on to enemies in MGR, and tapping the subweapon button instead of holding it quickfires them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, not having an in-game list does suck a bit. But I made one out of game that you can look at, at least!

Here's what 2B can do.

And here's 9S.

And A2.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can farm Simple Gadgets at a couple spots like the Forest King's cradle, but it'll take a while cause they appear at a low rate. Good luck!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Yeah I figured they were new..ish until I found a parking ticket from 2013

Did you see the name on it? Maybe don't take that one too seriously.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Squidtentacle posted:

Oh my god how did I not find this Shin Godzilla machine before, this is the best! Holy gently caress. Holy poo poo.

Well now I know what my favorite machine type in the game probably is, goddammit.

If that's the one I'm thinking of it's a one-off​spawn for a sidequest that you'll almost always have the items for as soon as you take it. Good thing that the quest is what gives you the unit data. Better thing that it sticks around afterwards so you can still go see it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

But you should, if you're​ not some kind of quitter. They're all doable with no chips, look up the routes to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Augus posted:

your knowledge of female anatomy seems questionable at best

They start with no anatomy and grow whatever they want later. That's canon.