Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Momomo posted:

The problem with Automata's combat was that for all the cool stuff you could do, there was basically no reason to ever do any of it, since the enemies were so simplistic. Platinum made the animations really cool and flashy but in the end, it didn't really feel like one of their games.

Astral Chain felt like the evolution of Automata, though it was also pretty awkward to play. A shame the story was so forgettable.

What Automata really needs is a style counter like Bayonetta and DMC. I guess it wouldn't really feel in character, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Rhonne posted:

New ending question: Why does Emil have four arms now?

He had to put together a new body anyway so why not?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Also does the gameplay in the card rpg ever get better? The demo was kinda boring even by JRPG standards.

Seems to be a recurring problem besides Nier Automata and Replicant.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/wa11po/i_think_my_game_has_a_glitch_since_i_keep_going/

He beat it (and then the language changed), but he did so . . . by hacking?
What appears to be a Shade?

Does Nier play fast and loose enough with it's Lore for hacking a Shade, possibly The Shadowlord, to be a thing????

(Also I think you shared the wrong link earlier so here that one is, sleeping girl confirmed to be Yonah, or a version of her.)
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/w9yosf/i_played_as_9s_after_doing_missions_to_come_back/

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

DanielCross posted:

I thought the first one was fine, interesting writing and characters, but the combat is so braindead easy that it seriously brought the experience down for me.

Honestly that's about what I'd say about Nier Reincarnation and SinoAlice, too.

A bit concerning to learn it's not just a mobile game thing. I've never played Drakengard, is it incredibly boring to play too? D:

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Hikaki posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to say that a game about existential dread will resonate with people who have existential dread? It's also not a stretch to say that normal, healthy-minded people do not go around dreading their own existence.

I mean it probably helps it resonate more, but, like, it's certainly not required.
(Anecdotal evidence: I have crippling depression and it's one of my favorite games of all time, one of my friends with no major mental illnesses really enjoyed Route A, but could not find it in him to play all the way through Route B)

But, like. It's a gorgeous game with a unique art style and an amazing soundtrack.

It's well written in both the "batshit crazy anime bullshit" way and the "actually hitting themes and stuff" way, with the latter hitting a good bit of themes that you don't see in AAA games that much. It pulls some serious subversions that nobody who hasn't played a Yoko Taro game before will predict, and pulls them well. (Mostly. Hey Pascal I was handling those machines just fine, really. ) The story is good for most people just on quality and novelty alone.

And then, you know. Platinum games did the combat, it's loving Diet Bayonetta with RPG elements. It says something about the quality of the gameplay that I am tempted to replay it, even after it had the sort of ending that makes a game feel wrong to replay to me.

Even if the themes don't resonate incredibly deeply with you, it's also a very good video game.

Captain France fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 16, 2022

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Legitimately has me tempted to reinstall that game.
But the gameplay part is so boring, and the gameplay/story ratio is, like, exactly wrong for multitasking.

But it's so cool and now a version of it is getting a proper Yoko Taro ending. . .

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I played it a bit when it was new (actually needing the space on my phone was what finally got me to uninstall Sinoalice for having incredibly boring gameplay,) and unless it's really improved it completely nails the atmosphere, has pretty good writing, and plays sort of like classic Final Fantasy ATB if everyone only had "fight" and one other move.

I eventually uninstalled it too, but especially since the Automata anime got paused and left me with a Yoko Taro craving that Drakengard 3, while incredible, didn't quite sate, I would love to hear that it gets better.
Reincarnation I mean I finished Drakengard 3.

Also holy poo poo it's not very Nier and the gameplay is mid but Drakengard 3 is loving great and constantly had me amazed that it is a real AAA video game published by Square Enix and translated for an English release.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Do any of those get very :yokotaro: at some point?

Also do any of them get fun to play at some point? I know they stay turn based jrpgs, but like, maybe they become GOOD turn based jrpgs?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Dabir posted:

This is just the third step in the increasingly specific evolutionary chain of 'what if sega was girls'. The second step was Sega Hard Girls, which is absolutely Neptunia at home

Possibly the fourth if you count the obscure manga/anime World War Blue, a fantasy story which follows a group of characters based on Sega games in their war against the evil Nintendo empire.

But that also has Nintendo and men so I don't know if it counts.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ShimaTetsuo posted:

yeah i probably missed those.

if mobile games aren't real, then limited-time special events in mobile games are definitely not real!!

But a limited time Sinoalice event is how we know Emile remembers Nier eventually!

Yes that's right Sinoalice, not even the Nier mobile game.

Also gently caress that's gone and I never got around to loading it back up for the story whoops.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

ShimaTetsuo posted:

welp, they also announced the end-of-service date for nier reincarnation today. there's one more chapter coming out before then.

if you've been on the fence about trying this wonderful game, you have until the end of april, then it's gone forever, like tears in the rain

if you're worried about wasting money on this, they already shut down the store, you can't buy poo poo now. all you'll be wasting is your precious time.

on the plus side, once this thing is done they have to make a real new nier game, right?

Oh wow. I know most of it's also on YouTube but I do hope either they make a Megaman X Dive Offline type thing or some fans backed it up for a revival. SinoAlice too.

So you actually play Reincarnation? Does the gameplay ever get any more depth than just auto battling? How long do you think it takes until the story picks up? I tried it at launch and bounced off a few chapters in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Dabir posted:

The link between the Drakengard world and the Nier world is a closed time loop. The Nier world purged all the magical bullshit by isolating it into one city and dumping that city into another dimension... Which happened to be the Drakengard world in the past, which is what introduced magic bullshit into that world and kicked off the events which led to the apocalypse in Tokyo

Unless I'm completely wrong and pulled that from out of my rear end somehow. But I think that's right.

I was just about to type basically that, complete with not remembering the source. So probably.