Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

NieR Re[in]carnation is just a lovely walking simulation mobile game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyxUKjzJ1A

No gameplay better than mobile phone gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
You can still have bullet hell segments in a walking simulator, right?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cephas posted:

You can still have bullet hell segments in a walking simulator, right?

You can have them in Final Fanatasy 14s Nier raid, so I don't see why not

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bosses being bullet hell is nothing out of the ordinary for FF14 lol

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Hikaki posted:

The game part of Nier was never it's strong suit so you might just call this trimming the fat. But there's no mention of Yoko's involvement so I don't have high hopes for the story either.

That’s hosed up.

I mean maybe I’m in the minority, but I love the gameplay in Nier: Automata and Nier: Gestalt is just a weaker version of Automata, but I like the combat, they just didn’t make the enemies as interesting as the combat. Drakengard 3 could even be okay if you weren’t literally fighting the same model of a futuristic soldier over and over.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

since it's Nier I fully expect this walking simulator to suddenly turn into Dynasty Warriors or Ikaruga or Mario Bros at some point

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Imhotep posted:

That’s hosed up.

I mean maybe I’m in the minority, but I love the gameplay in Nier: Automata and Nier: Gestalt is just a weaker version of Automata, but I like the combat, they just didn’t make the enemies as interesting as the combat. Drakengard 3 could even be okay if you weren’t literally fighting the same model of a futuristic soldier over and over.

I liked the combat in general, I just wish the individual weapons had different moves and distinct purposes. I never felt like it was more or less advantageous to equip a short sword vs a bracer, and none of the weapon effects seemed to be worth prioritizing. Still, the actual feel of moving and attacking was enjoyable for me. I don't really play Platinum games so I didn't judge it against anything else.

Hacking was fun at first, but if you could customize the "ship" it would make it a lot less repetitive.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I liked the combat in general, I just wish the individual weapons had different moves and distinct purposes. I never felt like it was more or less advantageous to equip a short sword vs a bracer, and none of the weapon effects seemed to be worth prioritizing. Still, the actual feel of moving and attacking was enjoyable for me. I don't really play Platinum games so I didn't judge it against anything else.

Hacking was fun at first, but if you could customize the "ship" it would make it a lot less repetitive.

I thought so too, but have you seen this? https://youtu.be/ELOdgQHWxnU Made by fellow goon RazzleDazzleHour, it’s a pretty in depth explanation of the combat, and shows off the unique combos that happen when certain weapons are equipped. I didn’t know that you could parry essentially, I forgot what chip it is but he goes in depth about how to do it and I just had no idea. It’s kind of absurd that the game doesn’t even explain really that the weapon slots are designated for light and heavy attacks. I agree tho in general about the individual weapons, but I think at least the combos have enough speed/power to make them feel distinct, and each weapons stats and size seem to matter, plus the bonuses when leveled up sometimes make things way more interesting.

Idk about customizing ships, it already reminds me of gummi ships from Kingdom Hearts and I didn’t ever like customizing the ships, simply because similar to Nier, the segments aren’t ever long enough to justify it imo and in KH they look like square pieces of foam arranged into the general shape of a ship and don’t ever look cool.

But yeah it was my first Platinum game and I didn’t even make the connection until like halfway through, and realized they’d made Bayonetta, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, etc. and went on to play those and Astral Chain and while something like Astral Chain is great (directed by the lead gameplay designer for Nier, idk his actual title but he’s basically the more serious young guy in press videos that gets tickled by Yoko Taro), and it has the opposite problems of Nier in that the combat is deep and complex and you can do so much with it, but the world is pretty boring and you run around doing mindless stuff for sometimes what feels like two hours before you get back into the combat areas and it’s a slog. But the areas where you do get to fight enemies and use your Astral Chain monster on a leash are good. But I think ultimately I’d take Nier, that doesn’t have that depth, but has fun movement and you can literally punt a robots head like a football or hit their heads off like you’re using a baseball bat and my motivation to move forward is the bonkers story.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Imhotep posted:

That’s hosed up.

I love them both in very different ways. Automata has great combat and I love the flow of it. But while Gestalt has weaker combat, I love that the entire atmosphere of the game changes with every new area. Like I had never seen a game go from action-RPG to RE-style tank controls and camera angles, to flipping text adventure, to zelda-like. And more than that, it completely nailed each genre it hopped to and maintained the theme throughout. That's crazy. Automata doesn't really even try that, but I understand why they didn't. Gestalt is very much a niche game that I don't see getting the same mass-appeal that Automata had because of the genre-flipping I loved. But still, I really enjoyed both.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Soysaucebeast posted:

I love them both in very different ways. Automata has great combat and I love the flow of it. But while Gestalt has weaker combat, I love that the entire atmosphere of the game changes with every new area. Like I had never seen a game go from action-RPG to RE-style tank controls and camera angles, to flipping text adventure, to zelda-like. And more than that, it completely nailed each genre it hopped to and maintained the theme throughout. That's crazy. Automata doesn't really even try that, but I understand why they didn't. Gestalt is very much a niche game that I don't see getting the same mass-appeal that Automata had because of the genre-flipping I loved. But still, I really enjoyed both.

You left out isometric Diablo clone. Understandable since its the last thing you do before the new game+ cutoff and you can't go back to it either.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It has the best song in the game, too. :(

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The problem with Automata's combat was that for all the cool stuff you could do, there was basically no reason to ever do any of it, since the enemies were so simplistic. Platinum made the animations really cool and flashy but in the end, it didn't really feel like one of their games.

Astral Chain felt like the evolution of Automata, though it was also pretty awkward to play. A shame the story was so forgettable.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Imhotep posted:

That’s hosed up.

Don't get me wrong, I like the gameplay well enough. It's flashy and fun. But when we talk about how interesting so-and-so boss is, it's not really in reference to the mechanics of the fight itself. Or when we say things like "Nier would only work as a video game", it's not in reference to the combat. I think Yoko has even mentioned himself that his games only have combat because it sells.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

What’s the word on Yoko Taro’s gacha game, and is it getting a US release?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Capntastic posted:

What’s the word on Yoko Taro’s gacha game, and is it getting a US release?

It's open for preregistration and it's been announced for a July worldwide release.

https://sinoalice.global/

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Gestalt had way better and more varied bosses imho. Automata had Marx in the prologue, Simone, and the rest felt kinda phoned in

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Momomo posted:

The problem with Automata's combat was that for all the cool stuff you could do, there was basically no reason to ever do any of it, since the enemies were so simplistic. Platinum made the animations really cool and flashy but in the end, it didn't really feel like one of their games.

Astral Chain felt like the evolution of Automata, though it was also pretty awkward to play. A shame the story was so forgettable.

What Automata really needs is a style counter like Bayonetta and DMC. I guess it wouldn't really feel in character, but still.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

goblin week posted:

Gestalt had way better and more varied bosses imho. Automata had Marx in the prologue, Simone, and the rest felt kinda phoned in

I didn’t love the bosses made of smaller enemies but from a story point of view it worked well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hikaki posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like the gameplay well enough. It's flashy and fun. But when we talk about how interesting so-and-so boss is, it's not really in reference to the mechanics of the fight itself. Or when we say things like "Nier would only work as a video game", it's not in reference to the combat. I think Yoko has even mentioned himself that his games only have combat because it sells.

Taro Yoko also claims that his only contribution to Automata was showing up drunk with random ideas every few days.

Taro Yoko lies.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Soysaucebeast posted:

Automata may not have had themed dungeons but it did have the shmup segments. Even if it doesn't feel like as huge a difference, the alternating gameplay sequence right before the end is extremely good and unlike anything I've ever seen before.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Next Nier raid is coming to FFXIV in the next patch, which isn't happening until like probably July because of Covid-19.

No real details yet, just a piece of concept art and a title.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

lol @ how owned 9S got after 2B dies and he bullrushes A2

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doctor Teeth posted:

lol @ how owned 9S got after 2B dies and he bullrushes A2

He’s a lover not a fighter.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

9S is such a loser he can’t even win without losing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I believe in the glory of the losers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I believe in the glory of the losers.

Alright, Trieze, if you say so.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

https://twitter.com/StormYorha/status/1255253748538060800

https://twitter.com/StormYorha/status/1255258099956531202

Hope it's a reliable source

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i seem to be frothing. am i frothing? *checks* i'm frothing

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Platinum are involved? this project just got very interesting.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
All this sounds great

Also: Yoko Taro give us Dadass Nier you coward

Jamieson Price killed it in the role

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

isk posted:

All this sounds great

Also: Yoko Taro give us Dadass Nier you coward

Jamieson Price killed it in the role

You know, that's not the kind of phrase I'd use in the context of Taro.

While some people take it as a reason to do what you say, Taro is the sort who uses it as an excuse to hurt you in a way you didn't imagine was possible while saying it was all your fault.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am sure Taro will give even those who beat the first game fresh new sources of horror and despair.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

While some people take it as a reason to do what you say, Taro is the sort who uses it as an excuse to hurt you in a way you didn't imagine was possible while saying it was all your fault.

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

chiasaur11 posted:

by this point I welcome it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:bisonyes:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

All I care about is if we'll get playable Kaine in route B as seemed to be the clear original intention

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

hurt me daddy yoko

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Organza Quiz posted:

All I care about is if we'll get playable Kaine in route B as seemed to be the clear original intention

We can do better than that.. Kaine's memories/soul being copied into A2.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Finally got plat. gently caress farming simple gadgets.

anyway, is this the basic timeline of the series?

- drakengard's joke ending happens
- mid 21st century Nier and Yonah are human
- 1000 years later the events of Nier happen
- humans make androids to oversee project gestalt; popla and devola model gently caress up; project gestalt collapses; humans are doomed to extinction
- 4th ending of nier happens
- androids do ??? until...
- aliens invade, create the Machines, giving them cover to start YoRHa and instigate a forever war to give (most) androids some meaning in their "lives"
- machines rebel against the aliens; machines could easily win but have become curious about humans. they use YoRHa to learn more about humans, since androids lived among them and exhibit some of the same behaviors as humans
- automata happens
- Emil's Heads weapon story sets up a sequel

If all of that is correct the only thing I don't really get is what androids did from the extinction of humans until the aliens invaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
gun soccer occurs at some point between the joke ending and nier 1