Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ending D still gets to me
my fishing records nooooooooo :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Going through the process now of unlocking Ending E.
Goddammit, I thought I had to just get to The Aerie and the new stuff would kick off from there. Of course they managed to squeeze in another trip to the Junk Heap at the last second. :argh:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ending E was really cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

2 has some decent bits here and there but it’s not a very good or interesting story overall.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Melomane Mallet posted:

I used the sandspouts and bypassed walking through the desert all together.

I forgot when/how the sandspouts were unlocked and didn't open them up until near the end of the game :dumb:

the way I did the fragile delivery was to take the long way circling around the outside of the desert so that I only had to deal with a few wolves, and I camped on top of one of the sandspouts and shot those ones with magic until they died

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so...drakengard 1 remake when

Beefstew posted:

Does the status of my garden carry over between routes?

yep

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fartington Butts posted:

Just started getting into this. I'm already regretting naming my character Poopola because I have to reread the loading screen things several times.

Never look back

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

fadam posted:

Can I just skip all the old cutscenes in C and D or is there new stuff added?

there's a couple new scenes but they'll immediately be obvious

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

I think a lot of the relationship between Emil and NieR is super contextual depending on whether its Bro NieR or Dad NieR; Bro befriends Kaine and Emil, but with Dad, it feels more like he adopts them, so for that one scene that I think we're all talking about, Bro and Emil have a conversation about how Emil will find a nice lady one day but he just kind of mutters that he's not looking for a lady after Bro and Weiss leave, but on the other side, the conversation is more about Dad's old wedding and Emil wonders if he'll ever get married again and it kinda comes off as him wanting an adoptive Mom too.

which is why the almost-kiss scene with kaine felt weird and out of left field in Gestalt but makes perfect sense in Replicant

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Beefstew posted:

I keep seeing these walls of text about the new ending. I think I know what it is, but I'm not going to confirm until I get there.
I just wanna know: good or bad?

good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ruffini posted:

What's the best way to track collecting all the weapons? I just got to route C but I've been hesitant on working on it.

-Buy all the weapons from the weapon shops in the Village, Seafront, and Facade.
-Clear the 3 DLC challenges from the diary in Nier's house
-Do the following sidequests:
---1) "A Bridge in Peril" from a guy in the village
---2) "A Shade Entombed" and "Disturbing the Sleep of Kings" from the king of Facade, after doing the Part 2 storyline in Facade
---3) "The Damaged Map" from the blacksmith in the village

If you don't have 100% weapons after this, you probably missed one of the ones that are placed in crates along the critical path.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think Dad Nier would just be all-around worse if it weren't for Jamieson Price tbqh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there is no rule against being a floating skeleton.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

This post confuses me because that's pretty obviously an actual graphical glitch. I don't recall any "screen goes glitchy when moving the camera" part of the first play-through in the City Ruins.

Maybe you didn't notice he posted a video instead of an image? At first glance (before noticing it was a video) I thought it was was maybe some sort of joke about having the drone be Weiss or something.

they are not talking about the video that you are talking about, they are talking about the letterboxing during cutscenes that frames them in a cinematic 2.35 aspect ratio

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 11, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no that's still letterboxing it's just a kind of "soft" letterboxing. it's leaving the complete image in the game but directing your eyes towards the important space.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Drakengard 3 used regular solid black letterboxing so it's definitely a stylistic choice for Nier in particular.
I like the effect. It's hard to describe but it kinda adds to the melancholy, dreamlike atmosphere that Nier has in a way

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm watching an LP of Drakengard 3 now that i've finished watching the first game, and maybe it's just because anything looks good next to drakengard 1, but this game actually looks kind of good and fun? I also love the musou games so my taste is questionable but it looks like my jam and I wish I could play it myself honestly

the game is decently fun when it isn't running at a single digit framerate

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Automata kicks rear end

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also I think the Lost Shrine might is supposed to be some kind of hospital or nursing home, in case you wanted to feel even worse about running through it a dozen times

I don't think it's that.
Tyrann calls it "a cursed place where incomplete shades gather" and Gretel yells at the small shades at first calling them "defective".
I figure it's that the shrine is where the entrance to Shadowlord's castle is and all the rejects who weren't let in are waiting at the gates.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

imagine 10 years ago being told by a time traveler that Nier music would be at the olympics

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wtf

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not surprising that it isn't actually an easter egg in the game but that doesn't answer the questions of "why" and "how"
I find it hard to believe some absolute prodigy of Nier Automata modding emerged out of nowhere just to pull one over on reddit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HJE-Cobra posted:

Team of three modders worked in secret, and will be releasing their mod tools open-source or whatever. Sadly no ghosts.

I had a feeling that the stuff in the church was too on-the-nose lore-heavy fanservicey to be real cut content.

that owns lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that’s just normal mgs3

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Redezga posted:

You do play as old Nier in the built in DLC. Not quite the same thing as being able to play him the full game, but it's cool to see the model and the music remixes kick rear end.

edit: I'm playing with the Japanese voice acting so I don't now what he sounds like in English, but they definitely got a seperate voice actor for Japanese old Nier so I'd assume they did the same for the English version.

they brought Jamieson Price back to record lines for the DLC area

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Here's the English dialogue from Emil's wedding talk in the remake, which is more or less accurate to the original Replicant:

quote:

Emil: "Oh..."
Nier: "What's up?"
Emil: "Heh. Just having trouble getting to sleep."
Nier: "Something bothering you?"
Emil: "No! Just the opposite in fact! I'm just so excited about the wedding that I can't settle down!
I bet it's gonna have streamers and dancing and bears on unicycles and EVERYTHING! I'm sorta jealous. I wish I was Fyra..."
Nier: "You'll find a nice bride someday, Emil."
Emil: "Huh? Oh, right. A...bride."
Weiss: "Heh. You must be tired indeed if you misunderstood that simple social nicety."
(Nier and Weiss walk out of the room)
Emil: "Yeah, that's not exactly it..."

And here's the dialogue from Gestalt:

quote:

Emil: "Oh..."
Nier: "Can't sleep?"
Emil: "Weddings are so exciting! I may not sleep for days."
Nier: "Hell, Emil. It sounds like you're the one getting hitched."
Emil: "Hee hee! Yeah, I know. Although, I'd like to get married someday. I mean, if I can find a girl who doesn't mind what I look like...
Yeah, so what was your wedding like? Did you have a huge feast where you made lots of toasts? Was there dancing and jesters and bears on unicycles and-"
Nier: "It was a long time ago, Emil."
Emil: "Well...would you ever have another one?"
Weiss: "All right, that's enough weird questions. Go to sleep."
(Nier and Weiss walk out of the room)
Emil: "...I think it's an important question."

Note that Gestalt has Emil say for himself that he wants a wife rather than having it be an assumption on Nier and Weiss's parts

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 16, 2022

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nier Automata generally aims to be thought-provoking more than its trying to be relatable. The setting is pretty alien at first glance, you’re a weird gothic samurai robot fighting weird geometry robots. It’s trying to make the player think about things in a different way than they normally would and ask themselves difficult questions.

NikkolasKing posted:

Its vastly superior sales can probably be safely attributed to having a sexy rear end lady protagonist, as well as having gameplay that isn't total garbage like Nier's was.

probably helps that it had Platinum’s name attached to it, was marketed more than “not at all”, and yoko taro’s appearance onstage in his Emil mask to unveil the game was the only fun and memorable part of an otherwise miserable E3 press conference and got a lot of people curious about what was up with that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh yeah also Nier Automata has a unique aesthetic that stands out at a glance while the original Nier had box art that looked like this

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shinjobi posted:

Yes, because what the game needed was old man Nier being romantically desired by a young boy. That would have been a great look instead, yeah?

I mean if it was just because of that they could have kept that he was gay and just removed the implication that he was attracted to Nier specifically. It’s weird for them to specifically add a line where he’s like “I hope I can get married TO A WOMAN, I WANT A HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE TO A FEMALE WOMAN”
I don’t think it’s a big stretch that the marketing team who decided the game needed a buff manly man in order to sell copies might’ve also said “no gay stuff” in the year 2010.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s really funny that in the remaster the game yells at you if you try to fish there for that quest

e:f,b

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There is no original JP script for Gestalt. Gestalt was released in Japan but it had English voices only.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you’re thinking about how much you want to **** Cloud Strife, aren’t you?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am so ready for more Tsukiru

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ShimaTetsuo posted:

yoko taro: posts a little guy on new years exactly the same as he did last year, except it's a dragon instead of rabbit like last year because last year was the year of the rabbit and this year is the year of the dragon
nier fans everywhere: is this a new game???? it has to be a new game right???? new game CONFIRMED

guys we already have a new game, it's called nier reincarnation and It loving Sucks but it finally sorta linked back to automata like a month ago, like 2.5 years into its run

mobile games aren’t real

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also yoko taro and yosuke saito like getting free money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Still blows my mind that a sequel to a niche game like Nier blew up this hard. As someone who was obsessed with the original for years, never saw that coming lol

it's even crazier if you're someone like me who was obsessed with Drakengard for years lol