Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Materiacollective's remix album just got released.

http://music.rozen.audio/album/nier-glory-to-mankind

The track they used to promote the thing (Amusement Park remix) is honestly subpar, but the rest is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, I had a few more offline listens and the entire thing is kinda bland, mostly the same arrangements with instruments swapped and incredibly heavy compression (those trailer hits every 8 measures make the dynamics jump around like crazy)

But gently caress it, at this point I'll buy anything NieR. They just shipped the CD

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

i am tim! posted:

It's got a lot of Crit+, and fully upgraded has a chance to make machines become friendly when you hit them.
This can be a godsend in the DLC colosseums, that mechanic still works there. Turning all machines is treated as stage complete and they persist to help you fight with the next one.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The concert BluRay released today and Okabe's extended soundtrack is now available for preorder.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Gibbering posted:

I'll never be able to stop spending money on Nier music.
Well, I was stopped today because the surprise vinyls that opened for preorder at 2AM GMT sold out within hours. Play-Asia didn't open yet so there might still be a chance.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Thanks, dude! Got it through the EU storefront (shipping is 40 euros, holy poo poo), feels good to have that secured :shobon:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

Normally, the LOOSE CANNON ROGUE from the hero organization who knows something the protagonist doesn't is totally informed and is working against the REAL villains.
This reminds me of that one android in the Bunker I like to call lovely Foreshadowing YoRHa. Upper command center, to the left disappears on Route C Goddamn her dialogue was bad.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hegel can be a lot of fun if you use the Wire pod program, I spent half of that fight just going "wheeee!" zipping through the air

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

bagrada posted:

Yeah, nvidia, updated my driver a day before installing Nier after about 5 months of ignoring the new driver available message. I'll roll it back and try the intro again.

quote:

I'm going to try the user patch that fixes the fullscreen bug tonight.

If you're talking about the FAR mod, definitely install that before screwing with your drivers. I dare say the game is barely playable on PC without it, there's a ton of various assorted fixes accumulated over different versions.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Devola had quite a few boss moves in the original game

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Theatrhythm is a DLC flytrap and if they do a Switch release I am going to cry blood and money

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Archenteron posted:

If you're into experimental noise electronica, apparently Drakengard 1's ost is mind boggling.

Or if you ever wondered what would happen if you dosed an entire orchestra with Scarecrow's fear toxin and forced them to play a concert while tripping their pants off in terror

Cutting up and looping classical pieces to punish the player further (it's even called the Harddisk Symphony Orchestra in the credits, loving lol) is one thing, but the fact that they actually recorded the source material specifically for the game instead of using public domain recordings is straight up baffling. Composers would kill to have their material performed live and here they went spending boatloads of money just to make annoying samples :devil:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The way it layers music tracks, 8bit and or simply strips out tracks is insane
Most AAA games these days have more complex dynamic music systems (N:A doesn't do stingers or beatsynced switching to transition, for instance). It's just that this particular OST is extremely good and based more on leitmotifs than underscoring. That makes the simple transitions actually memorable.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

...! posted:

lol if you don’t switch off VA and just use subtitles in every game. Except for the games with bad subtitles, in which case turn those off too.
This but unironically

I'm pretty sure I would have finished Child of Light if text didn't display due to some bug, reading all that troper poetry gave me headaches

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Autonomous Monster posted:

99% of LPers have these hyper-nasal yank voices that are like nails on the chalkboard of my soul.
Silent playthroughs are cool and good. Before I got Golden I watched a 100+ video walkthrough of Persona 4 with repetitive elements removed and supplementary supercuts of unique social link dialogue, linked at appropriate moments in the story. Good people exist in the world.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The entire game is two-button rhythm pattern memorization, until the final boss where it becomes a hack'n'slash with RPG elements

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I finally did the final sidequests and DLC today to make space for other games in my backlog and I still can't believe that Taro is REWARDING completionists now

When that random pipe accessible by boost-jumping off a slanted building led to a completely new area I got flashbacks from The Stanley Parable's "glitched out of the map" ending

(also the 12" art prints in the vinyl soundtrack release are super cool and SE is officially forgiven for those horrible Bravely Default pinups)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also did we ever find out where Cathedral City originally came from or are that and Accord still the two big hanging plot threads?

Are they hanging though? AFAIR the Cathedral City is on a stable time loop and Accord are multiverse observers/caretakers, not much to it really

TalkLittle posted:

Drakengard 3 though hopefully is worth it.

Even watching somebody play it can be painful. Read Dark Id's LP like any other sane person

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Beefstew posted:

it goes from dawn to noon to dusk to noon to dawn

Same universe as 2005 NFS: Most Wanted, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I can also remember machines rebuilding human cities came up, but am not sure where - either the chest archives or Jackass's infodump. Though I'm pretty sure the castle is just a castle, serving the purposes of a castle - after all, that machine group had an actual king they worshipped for hundreds of years from the beginning of each loop