Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Is there an updated link to the PC Resolution Fix? The one in the OP is no good anymore.

Scratch that, found it on Reddit.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

questions for after ending, spoiler stuff

who exactly formed YoRHa? i thought maybe it was the machines so they could collect combat data

i figure the machines are the ones who made the androids because who else would do it? all the replicants would have died off without pop/dev to recycle old ones

some of the entries in the tower support this theory but i didn't see it explicitly stated, thinking i might have just missed it

i wish replicant nier had shown up at the end just cos

also the patterns on 2Bs skirt look a lot like the big tree in nier 1's forest of text adventures

also ending thing 2B why didn't you store 9S memories in your sword every time you killed him so that you could give them back after you died

YoRHa was created by Androids that maintained the Gestalt Project. There were more than just Devola/Popola, and they maintained their own production.

The sword memory thing I believe only applies to the wielder. I'm not fully sure how it works.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So I picked up Nier: Gestalt. I've heard that it's "Point of No Return" is rock solid and that you NEED to have the side quests done or you're SOL. Is there a good checklist of what I need to do before that point? Preferably one that keeps spoilers to a minimum.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I'm playing the game for the well written aspects, but it's good to know it's not required. I got the impression that NG+ would only bring you back to just after that no return point, and that one of the endings is locked behind a 100% run, but it sounds like I just misread something. Hitting all four endings is probably the only thing I'm pushing hard for.

So, any easily missable side quests that I should REALLY make sure I see?

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 7, 2017

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Momomo posted:

I feel like this was Yoko Taro's way of spackling over a bad plot point from the first game. Devola and Popola ended up doing the exact opposite of what their goal was for no real reason (or so the game could have a gotcha plot twist) and now he's just decided they were actively trying to sabotage the plan because ??

I never had an issue with that, their actions fit in with the theme of "sentience growing where it's not expected and mucking things up" the first and now second game carries. It happened with the Replicants, which pushed the Devola/Popola models into running overtime trying to salvage a dire situation their creators simply never expected to happen. Plenty of time for stimuli to bring about sentience, cause them to form emotional attachments to their village and drive them to make bad decisions around that conflict of interest.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

rear end posted:

Alright, now that I know most of the things I wasn't sure about were all original Nier stuff, I have another question.

The humans have gone extinct. Who made the YoRHa project then? Who's receiving all the Level-SS classified info? At first I thought it was just the commander trying to give other androids a reason to fight for but then it turned out the commander was also a pawn. I *think* the Red Girls have something to do with it, what with the fact they have backdoors in the human server on the moon but I don't know.

There's a lot behind why Project YoRHa came out the way it did, but to answer the root of your question; it was developed by the Androids leftover from Project Gestalt. They've been making decisions for "humanity" for thousands of years now.

There's the YoRHa stage play that is partly translated in the game that goes over some of this from A2's perspective, but the nitty gritty of it all comes from that Concert and Talk thing.

I don't believe that the Red Girls have much to do with the very origin of YoRHa but they certainly love the idea and were happy to see a back door was made just for them.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Nina posted:

My personal theory to it all is really just that Since the machines are so deep in the android systems they also have access to all the information from Accord and hence know about the history of Notspain and how it relates to the events that transpired on Earth. But even then the machines are likely copying what they know without understanding the meaning which is one of the most interesting aspects of the machines in general.

Do we know how much the Androids know about the Drakengard parallel universe? A lot of what I've read about it seems to indicate that they're aware that the Giant & Dragon came from a parallel dimension, but I never got the impression that they were able to directly observe or learn about it. I know we see Accord there, but I just figured that whatever the "Catastrophe" in Drakengard's history that made the world all magic was some kind of massive time-travel event bringing a future city to the past, what with all the burnt out 20th century office buildings, and that any Androids were carried back with it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It's also worth noting that Gestalt Nier is recklessly forcing the issue out of fear, and as the entire Project that they're managing depends on his survival and cooperation, Devola and Popola have no real recourse to oppose him if they wanted to. Popola's " You think we have the luxury to STOP?!" rant speaks to that as well as their urge to do things despite how they feel due to being programmed entities.

I also get the feeling that the Shadowlord thing is something that makes more sense when Nier is a naive 16 year old boy as opposed to a 43 year old man. The fairy tale quality of Nier's quest works as a manipulation of a child.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also, it feels like ending A comes rather, abruptly? Like, I felt it wasn't signposted well enough. Do I have to redo all the sidequests?

I felt the same way about Ending A, but it will become perfectly clear why they did that after you get Ending B. As for the side quests, any you have already completed will still be completed on your second play through. Any quests you started but had not completed will be reset, however.

Edit: The game will give you ample opportunity to go back and complete anything you missed in the future if you're concerned about getting that 100% save. The ONE THING you can permanently miss is a gag ending you get by losing to the super hard super secret optional boss that's inaccessible until the third play through.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 21, 2017

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Over There posted:

Don't forget to press L2 when you're hacking. I was poo poo at it till I realized that option. :toot:

... ... ... I've beaten this game twice now (and am currently working on getting 100% on that second save) and I never knew that you could lock on. I just manually aimed the entire time.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Nina posted:

It's all in the Nier concert of all things. The original plan was just to have the fake humans but even that plan's creator doubted it'd work. Then the nutcase original No. 9 killed him, hijacked the project and added the bit about YoRHa all getting killed off at a set expiration date.

The androids on the moon don't actually even know they're maintaining the moonbase. They think they're manning a remote underwater base and the pods never let them outside, if they find out the pods kill them and boot up a copy with its memory wiped.

This is something I'm still a bit fuzzy on. In the script it seems that the new YoRHa Androids were already at the prototype phase before Zinnia even conceived of the fake Council of Humanity. I've seen some mentions of a Next Generation project in the SS Classified documents you find in the Tower Library, so I believe that the YoRHa Androids were originally just part of a plan to fast-track development on better Androids.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I beat it once and am currently working on a second play through so I can try and 100% the game. I don't normally do 100% runs of games, the last time I did was Crash Bandicoot back when it was the only PSX game I had.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

There's an amazing spear that you can get in the Desert called the Spear of the Usurper. It's got a lot of Crit+, and fully upgraded has a chance to make machines become friendly when you hit them. That's a permanent friend, so you can read that as "chance to kill with friendship".

I don't know if it's the strongest weapon but it's my favourite for 9S.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, I just got the DLC and I'm finding myself using it a LOT. Trying to think of a good weapon to pair with on 2B, if anyone has any suggestions. I'm at 87% on weapons going for 100%, so anything goes.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It's definitely the point. The idea that they would censor the word "gently caress" doesn't pan out when you consider that there's plenty of uncensored cursing going on. I don't think gently caress itself is said in NieR: Automata to notice the lack of censoring elsewhere, but NieR: Gestslt has a character dropping F-bombs like it's a blitzkrieg, including the preview trailer that plays when you start the game.

I hear they did something similar in the Japanese script that works with how certain kanji can represent different concepts based on context, but I don't know enough about the Japanese script or Japanese language to offer an opinion.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

See, people are gonna pick the Flight Unit, but what they don't know is that it's gained sentience and a severe phobia of heights.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I took the Japanese voice option for Onimusha: Warlords, but that's because early PS2 Capcom english voice acting was just baaaaad. I prefer the English dub for Nier: Automata, though I only played it for about 30 minutes with Japanese voices. I ended up missing the English voices. The 2B/6O stuff just wasn't as fun as it had been in English, but a lot of that probably has to do with me being able to understand the language and inflections.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Know Such Peace posted:

:siren:Route C::siren:
The play also revealed that all the YoRHa prototypes were implanted with (and are aware of) false memories that influence their personalities. I don't remember offhand if false memories were brought up at any point in the game. The brief description given for A2's false memories appears to be a reference to Kainé. This particular bit of information would have been worthless to newcomers to the franchise, but it would have been a nice reference to include alongside all the other NieR 1 callbacks that stack up late in the game.

It makes me wonder about something though. We meet Devola, Popola and Emil in Nier: Automata, except it turns out they're actually copies, not the real characters from Nier 1. This tidbit from the play (and the fact that they certainly look the part) arguably puts A2 and 2B in the Nier Copy Club for Kainé. This leaves 9S out of the club and Nier without a copy, except that 9S totally looks like Act 1 Brother Nier. Is 9S supposed to be Copy Club Nier?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

The evidence suggests Automata continues from Ending D so Nier does not exist.

There's also the Ending E short story from Grimoire Nier that continues off of Ending D, where Nier is recreated in the Forest of Myth based on what the Divine Tree remembered when he first showed up during Act 1. Speaking of which, if the recreated Nier only had the memories from that point in time, he would barely know Kainé at all, which is not dissimilar to the situation with 2B losing the 9S she knows only to get a new 9S that barely knows her.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

If anyone has a connection with Caim, I’d say it’s Kainé, since she entered a pact-like connection to a Shade after swearing vengeance against them for killing her grandmother, puts her in a similar place with regards to Caim and dragons. Granted, it also works to connect Angelus and Kainé for similar reasons, slotting Tyrann in as notCaim in this case.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I kinda like that it’s a screenshot let’s play, but it’s been a while since I’ve read one so I think it’s more that than any actual quality of the format. Really it doesn’t capture the impact of the game, but then again nothing short of playing it yourself will do that.

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you've finished the game, you've already seen it.

Yeah, but there’s a lot of uncovered content to spoil and I have no clue as to which it was. What was the spoiler?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Wow, I was off. I thought it would have been something from the Devola/Popola short story, since that was the topic at the time.

What an rear end in a top hat.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I think that’s just referring to the Pods themselves. They both have three separate Pod units each.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I always figured that since the ancient ruins of Cathedral City look like burned out 20th century skyscrapers that it’s just burned out Tokyo after a time-loop or two. It’s the easiest explanation.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

e;fb

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I always saw it as not that she’s trying to save the world, she’s just not gonna let herself be used as it’s tool of destruction. She spent her entire life being used, and the flower wasn’t treating her any differently.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

I don’t know why, but I find Emil in Automata absolutely hilarious.

Probably because he’s an endless beacon of sunshine and hope I’m a crappy, war torn world, and he’s strapped to a cart.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

From what I have found, the relationship Nier has with Kaine, Emil and Weiss doesn’t seem to change too much from Father to Brother. I don’t think that they take him as seriously when he’s just a kid during the first half of the game, but they still follow him. I think Kaine might tease him more?

One difference I remember being highlighted in Id’s LP is how Brother Nier reacts to the events of the game, particularly the two brothers in the mountains. Brother Nier walks away a great deal more shaken by all of that given that he’s also an orphan trying to raise his little sibling as best he can.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Yeah, for the most part the lyrics for the music of Nier is gibberish. In interviews about the lyrics, Emi Evans (the singer/lyricist) explained that she was asked to have the songs sung in a futuristic language. She accomplished this by listening to songs in all kinds of languages, then imagined how they would drift or blend. I think Keiichi Okabe has given an idea of what the song might be about, but if he did he didn’t stick with the original plan. IE Grandma was gonna be played during the prologue, not a boss battle.

That said I like to play “what might they be saying?” with the Nier songs. I think the only “word” that might actually pop up in the songs would be at some point during Song of the Ancients it sounds like they’re saying “Shinjuku,” which was ground zero for everything going Drakengard. I could see that being the case.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

The Wretched Automatons is a great one for picking out words, as according to this interview with Emi it's the one that's supposed to be 'futuristic english.' There's a few stanzas where it sounds like she's saying "Disobey" and "Start Again." Can't say for sure that's the case, but it's hard to stop hearing it once you start.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

The World books I reckon are one of those big lore books that Square likes to put out, but what are the Long Story Short/Short Story Long books?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I mean, to the Octopath Traveler Kotaku guy's credit, the ending wasn't that great and it made questions like "Why couldn't we have had more interweaving plot elements throughout the meat of the story?" all the more glaring.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

This definitely isn't going to sound made up.

Definitely not.

Isn’t there an achievement for running around pantsless as 9S for a while?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

It's talking about the Final Fantasy raid. It's still unclear what it's about, but it has 2P from Soul Caliber, and a 9S who might or might not be "our" 9S.

Oh, so 2P is from Soul Calibur.
It's the name of her alt costume, isn't it? It's just "2nd Player", then, isn't it?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

They hit the nail on the head with Caim in D2, though. That’s pretty much it.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

There’s a small handful of us that are hoping the collision of NieR:A stuff and Final Fantasy results in the raid progressing back through to the Drakengard games.

I wanna fight an angry Caim.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Of course the Dragon is easier! That’s why I wanna fight an angry Caim! And maybe get his battle crocs.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

One of the first things that I did after I got Ending E was just quickly booting up a new game on an impulse, at which point I was slammed by the newfound meaning of 2B’s intro speech. I will admit that I had been crying because of the endings, so I was still emotionally hyped up by all of that but yeah.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Zero with Mikhail assist?

Emil with Mikhail flying in for the Best Boy Final Smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

It has the best song in the game, too. :(