Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Resurrecting this thread to say I’ve finally picked this up and have kept myself spoiler free.

I’m not too far in (just saved the little sister bot in the desert), but I’m going to make some random predictions from what little I know.

1. Humans are already extinct.
2. Either the moon base is a lie or humans just died out there.
3. The machines were not an alien creation, but a human one and we basically killed ourselves.
4. The naked Sephiroth looking fuckers are the machines trying to resurrect the humans they killed off.
5. I will have to fight 9S at some point.

Well. Wish me luck. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Holy gently caress, the maps in this game are poo poo.

Spending 20 min trying to get back the Machine Village because nothing is labeled and there is no depth perception on the map almost made me drop the game right there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Millennials, folks.

More like I have a case of the olds, and I'm not willing to deal with it. I want combat to be the skill tester, not map reading. In my few forays into the main map, I didn't even see any cardinal coordinates. Of course, I may have just been too impatient to notice them.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Did you unlock fast travel yet?

Nope. Glad to know that's A Thing. I just did the first main game Goliath fight, and now I'm on travel for two weeks. So, no play until the end of the month.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You sure you're using the actual map map and not the mini preview

because you can get a pretty clear idea if something is up or down from the full map, abstractly quantized as it is

My issue is you shouldn't have to pause the game and go to the full map to get a depth indication for something.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I finished the A-story a couple days ago, and now I'm about half way through the B-story.

Yeah...I see where this is going. I've randomly gotten two of the joke/bad endings, and they're kind of dumb so far. Do I actually have to get all 26 endings for the True End?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

genericnick posted:

And started on C. Up to now pretty much as expected. I forgot that 9S pisses off directly after the Sunken City and missed a few side quests as a result. The couple, Emil's flowers, the parade, and the Race. Not that I have a sve before the point of no return, but was there anything important?

The dialogue and normal in game animation feels perfectly fine but the cutscenes aren't doing it for me. Certaily not a dealbreaker, but irritating nonethe less.
Edit: ANd the invisible walls. gently caress those.

I just started C route, too, and things sure went to poo poo really quickly :stare:

I was able to complete Emils Memories, but didn’t take the time to actually visit the shopping mall before starting the fight with Grün. Whoops. Also missing the (I’m guessing) final part of the couples side quest.

I’m sure there will be much head-exploding poo poo revealed in the final run up, but so far the biggest WTF moment has been Adam calling out 9S on his internal feelings of rage and lust. That bit seemed a little too on-the-nose.

Also, 9S never got a chance to tell 2B the truth. :(

One question though. What are the mechanical implications of A2’s glowing dash re:attacking/maneuvering?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 1, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

Resurrecting this thread to say I’ve finally picked this up and have kept myself spoiler free.

I’m not too far in (just saved the little sister bot in the desert), but I’m going to make some random predictions from what little I know.

1. Humans are already extinct.
2. Either the moon base is a lie or humans just died out there.
3. The machines were not an alien creation, but a human one and we basically killed ourselves.
4. The naked Sephiroth looking fuckers are the machines trying to resurrect the humans they killed off.
5. I will have to fight 9S at some point.

Well. Wish me luck. :v:

Just got through the five main endings, and quoting myself to say 3.5/5 ain't bad. :v:

Great game with probably my favorite VG soundtrack of all time, so yeah. Now, time to get the full Emil package!

Dessel posted:

Am I the only person who's super bummed that they didn't feature any non-joke ending where the correct/alternative choice would have been to self-destruct without explicit prompt to do so at some dramatic, fitting moment?

It seemed like an obvious one for me. I know there's the one where you blow up the Bunker but that is basically a joke ending.

I think the mechanics of the game kind of limit the developers' play with that. e.g., Self-destruct doesn't actually kill you. It just puts you at one hp and staggers you. They could've thrown in another trigger in a specific scenario, but that would've sucked to have to get an "actual" ending while still dealing with the SURPRISE! NO SAVE! schtick.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 4, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
End game question: How hard is Emil superboss and what strategies would you recommend?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I decided to do a replay of the C route after having completed most of the side quests I missed going through the game.

Holy gently caress, I just noticed the trip down memory lane after A2’s first boss pokes you in the eye about 2B’s true designation as 2E. And you get extra dialogue from a malfunctioning 6O during the Bunker escape sequence if you completed the Desert Rose quest for her.

Christ. :cry:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Boogalo posted:

RE: lategame Pascal am I the only person who walked away without doing anything?

I did that the first time, actually. Then, I realized grinding some parts post game would be super hard without doing it. So, I went back.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I used the bunny to max grind starting at level 65ish. One chip set of nothing but attack+>4 and a second chip set of nothing but XP+>4. Took me about 5 - 7 minutes of wailing on it to wake it up. Swap chip sets. Hack it to kill it. Each entire run took about 10 - 15 min. I would gain 3 - 7 levels each time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
This was my first game in the NieR/Drakengard series, and I pretty much guessed humanity was already dead by the end of the prologue. But, until I got to the buried spaceship, I thought humanity had created both the robots and the androids and the "alien" menace was merely the justification either humanity came up with to sick their new creations on their old ones or the androids came up with to continue the fight after humanity disappeared.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I got the game about a year after it came out. Playing through it, I had no idea what people were talking about with all the butt references because I shut off my self-destruct at the beginning of the game because gently caress you. I'm not blowing myself up again after that opening act.

Then I watched a speedrun of it. :negative:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tarezax posted:

Charging self destruct will cancel you out of like any other animation, which lets you do some crazy stuff

IIRC, it also lets you skip a phase of Simone if you detonate at the right time to push her through a health trigger.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I love this game and have played through it multiple times. But I’ll admit, I never picked up on the fact that 2B and 9S have gone through this murder cycle more than the couple times we see in the game. Is that specifically stated anywhere? I understand 2Bs true mission and designation, but what tells us they’ve even worked together before that initial Goliath fight?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lord_Magmar posted:

The answer is in game it's straight up implied by how 2B reacts to the Goliath Fight ending and having to kill 9S that she's done this a few times, we also later see her memories which show a lot more history than the game accounts for, and there's stuff with 9S that also implies he's subconsciously aware of the cycle because of self-hacking. Lastly extra-content from stories and the theatrical performance spell it out, 2B's had to kill 9S over 200 times in total or something close, and it wears her down like the weight of the world, basically all the first time meeting stuff is for 9S benefit and the Commander and both Operators are actually aware of this and help to hide it, although nobody but the Commander and 2B/E know her true purpose.

I mean. It makes her Nietzsche-ian monologue at the beginning of the game a little more understandable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hikaki posted:

Your section on Ending E touched upon something I found interesting with both Nier games, which is that they use a strategy of subversion to strengthen the impact of the finale. I had never played Nier 1 so in the early hours, there was a lot in Automata that indicated it was going to be another cliche JRPG with pandering sexy characters until I realized later in the game that it was much more than that. Playing Nier 1 afterwards, I noticed it had a similar approach of presenting a pretty bland hero's quest in the early game and then turning it on its head later. That made me think about the "bad" parts of both games; things like the repetition, obtuse mechanics, and off-putting early presentation are weak points when taken at face value, but I think they might be a necessary setup for the emotional climax that the games are shooting for. I think of "art" games as games that sacrifice what you would traditionally call "good" gameplay in favor of desired aesthetics, story, or emotional impact, so in this sense I view both Niers as more in that category than any other.

This is the same type of set up Spec Ops: The Line used which grabbed everyone's attention. The beginning sets it up as another Oorah! jingoistic run & gun, and even uses the same kind of generic Gears of War-esk 3rd person wall cover combat. Then it hits you with a psychological bomb taken straight out of Apocalypse Now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hunt11 posted:

Kainé swearing even more was definitely the right way to handle her.

For those who've played Fire Emblem: Three Houses. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83MiJMmjtk

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Momomo posted:

You can't see any of that depth because the enemies die before you get to do anything. I felt pretty unsatisfied with Automata's combat since there were puzzle pieces to a puzzle that didn't actually exist

This was my only issue with Automata. The combat was deep, but completely superfluous if you were more engaged with the story than anything else. You had to crank it to the highest difficulty to even get a glimpse of it. I put a poo poo ton of hours into the game, getting a true Platinum and crying a bunch of times before watching a speedrun where the runner was like “And here we do the standard quadruple air jump-dash-monkey bar combo and get over this invisible wall” before I knew the devs expected you to be able to air hang for 20 seconds without actually having to attack anything. :psyduck:

GOAT soundtrack, though.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That said, I’m itching to play the remake of Replicant. Is the current summer sale on the PSN worth it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Also, best crossover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P83MiJMmjtk

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

chiasaur11 posted:

The 20 seconds of airtime thing comes up naturally in the game to pick up some treasure chests.

The game has a way to set your level to what you'd like to keep the game challenging, but it's hidden in the DLC behind winning the game's most absurd fights, so most fights either take forever to chip down or are quick and easy. Kind of a cost of the action RPG format.

It's been a while, but the only chest I remember that requires "flying" to get to it is on that one building in the flooded/shore area, and though it was tight, I was able to get there using just the basic glide, double jump, and an upper cut attack. Not the insane poo poo I see real gamers pull off. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

The anime adaption drops this January it seems:

https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1573560094733717504

Said this in the ADTRW thread, but I’m calling it now.
Time Loop.

We get Ending E but with a bunch of hints that 2B/9S/A2 and/or the Pods remember the events of the game and a bunch of wacky poo poo/changes happen that allow Adam/Eve to survive or something.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 24, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, it all comes down to how involved Yoko Taro is on the screenplay. If he's in charge of the ending, I imagine he'll think of something interesting to do.

Otherwise, it's time loop city.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished Replicant for the first time (still working on ending E). I don’t think I’ve ever played an earlier game in a series that has made me appreciate its successor so much while still enjoying the hell out of the original.

Not sure if that sentence even made sense. But whatever. I agree that the core characters in Replicant are better actualized in game vs 2B/9S/A2, but the entire story just seemed a bit thin. It really made me appreciate the depth Automata got from its background characters.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

And this isn't even a joke answer because it's exactly what Evas are.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

some bust on that guy posted:

So when are we ever getting a Nier Part 3? How can there be no word of one in the past 6 years? It was successful...

Taro discovered gatcha games.

But beyond SINoALICE, there was also Nier Re[in]carnation back in 2021 which was a mobile RPG and was incredibly Taro in its story. Then you have the side projects he's worked on in conjunction with the anime like the "music video" for Antimony. And that Voice of Cards series of games.

His next project is 404 GAME RESET which is a bullet hell mobile game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InMXgbuuvUw

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 20, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

General Battuta posted:

HMM okay. So was there a reason the meat box/soul box/god box were so excited about the player showing up to unlock them and get into the main tower? Do you think we’re meant to read that as the machine network egging on the androids to attack them in order to ???, or is it more directed at the player - “come jump through these hoops, we know you’re gonna do it, we promise we’ll give you a prize?

The end run in the last act was an attempt by the robots to super jump their own evolution by seeing how far 9S/A2 would actually go to stop them and learning off of it while simultaneously putting them in an unwinnable, despair-laden position. But a wrench gets thrown into the works when the machine core consciousnesses start arguing on the efficacy of allowing the androids so far into their stronghold and you get the mini-civil war which launches the whole network into chaos. During which, Eve and his portion of the network upload themselves into the rocket and eventually give 9S the option to join them.

As far as the purpose for YorHa, a lot of the detail is not revealed in the game, but it's already been hit on that the have no purpose since humanity is actually extinct. But what is not really covered in the game is YorHa's origins. e.g.; YorHa is only like...15-20 years old as an organization by the beginning of the game. And it's creator knew that the idea/religion of humanity was necessary to keep the android forces fighting. What he didn't anticipate was getting merc'd by the protype 9 unit once he learned the truth. Then Unit 9 decided to keep the grift going because he also realized it was necessary, but also allowed the machines to build in the back door into YorHa's servers because he knew if he learned the truth, other YorHa units also eventually would and cause issues.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 3, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

There hasn’t been any update lately on if/when the anime is coming back has there?

Nope. The hiatus is indefinite at this point. I'm sure we'll get a nice shocker story when it eventually comes back because I'm guessing it would be a breach of contract if they straight up cancelled it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Necro-thread!

My cousin got me this for Christmas.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pentyne posted:

That is legitimately amazing and such a unique art style I had to search it out. It gives me Aeon Flux vibes which is a vastly underappreciated art style.

She also got me the Malenia one. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wait....they put 2B in Granblue Versus? :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Still a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1xQAjGvis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh poo poo. The DC concert is the night before the Marine Corps Marathon. So, I'll be in town.

loving sweeeeet. How long is the concert because I'll probably have to be up around 5:30 that Sunday morning?