Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I'm glad I pre-loaded this so that I can sit here watching a "preparing to launch" window with a bar that isn't moving at all. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Had my first crash while exploring the station after the prologue (when I tried to go into a "terminal" door I think). :(

Other than that this is amazing. The prologue was so good.

e: And it didn't retain my graphics settings :/

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Had two crashes in 3 hours but other than that I'm not regretting this purchase at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

shame the pc version seems to have so many problems

It doesn't seem that bad for a port, actually. Just standard day 1 stuff. The game is incredible so far.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I just dropped my jaw at the desert boss fight and didn't have the time to pick it back up yet since. :wtc: :wtc: :wtc:

I seriously need a breather from all that before I continue playing.

The prologue boss or the first actual story boss? Because either way, yeah I agree it is loving crazy

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is there any bonus to taunting other than killing things faster (like better drop rates or something)?

How does the counter chip work? "Move towards the enemy as they attack" isn't quite enough detail for me

E: ^^^ I thought the corpses just gave the bonuses of the chips, they don't give you the actual chips themselves

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Does Evade Range+ affect the number of iframes or just the distance you move?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I love the shmup parts.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FauxLeather posted:

I will never forgive Yoko Taro for the big pushing block outside of Masamune's workshop.

Haha seriously, the second time I went back there and had to move it again, I was so mad

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rangpur posted:

Is there any work on the YorHa Betrayers questline being bugged? I found a pair of them at one of the marked locations, but there doesn't seem to be anything at the other two. What gives?

You have to do them in the right order I think. I found them on a building rooftop, then the next spot was another roof - this one bugged for me after I beat them (one of them fell off the roof and got stuck) and had to reload to get them to show up at the third location.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

PC users: A modder has released a fix for the fullscreen-bug. Currently, when playing the game in fullscreen-mode, the game won't actually run at your monitor's native resolution. There's a more in-depth explanation here, but the TL;DR is that, due to a bug, the game will:
  • Render at the selected resolution (this is why screenshots come out looking fine)
  • Downscale that to the nearest supported resolution on your monitor that isn't in your monitor's native aspect ratio (you can see what I mean by looking in the Windows advanced display settings dialogue on a second monitor if you have one), and then
  • Your GPU or monitor upscales that again to the selected res.
To get the fix, download this file and extract its contents into your game's install directory: https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/download/sk_gui/nier_fix.7z

When you boot up the game for the first time after this, there'll be some diagnostics text overlaid on top of it; hit CTRL + SHIFT + O to get rid of it and it'll stay gone even after you restart.

More details from the modder himself: Link

Awesome.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Snak posted:

Oh... Someone said they got the sword to level 3 in like 3 hours, so I thought I must be missing it somewhere. I am several hours from level 50...

I'm level 17 and have at least 3 level 3 weapons, so you're definitely missing something. The only thing I went out of my way to get for that was beast hide

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

Once again, for everyone playing this on PC: A mod was released yesterday which fixes the fullscreen resolution bug currently affecting the game. I've written up a fairly detailed post about it on Reddit, which details what the bug is, how to install the fix, and how to deal with the most common problems that people are having with regards to getting it running. Click here for the deets.

I also put together a comparison gallery, to give you an idea of how the game looks before and after applying the mod (no spoilers, only screens from the first 10 minutes of the game): Linky

This was really easy to install and the visual difference at 1080p is amazing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I switched to Hard around level 25 and it's been fine. The only time I've died is to the last segment of the final path A boss, but I would rather die a couple times to the bosses than just steamroll through.

The auto heal, deadly heal, and offensive heal chips are your friends. And I haven't played around with the pod plugins much at all, but the bomb one is crazy good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nuebot posted:

I've only gotten the upgrade items from quest rewards and I still haven't found a single purified water, and they do enough damage as-is that there doesn't seem to be any reason to like go out of your way to upgrade them. Mine are all still level one with A and B doing 25 damage per hit, and the bomb skill just kills anything but bosses and other ridiculously strong enemies so I'm not worried.

I found purified water on the ground in the flooded City. Just as one of those random mat spawns

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Same it was dumb. Fortunately the one other time in Route C I had quests auto fail, I noticed right away and reloaded

Yeah I thought people in here had said that the point of no return for sidequests was very obviously telegraphed, but I didn't see it coming at all. I was just wandering around exploring a new area and then it's like, welp looks like I'm beating path A now.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RanKizama posted:

Anemone tells you that if you have other things to do first then to go ahead and do them. That's as much of an announcement as you can get without the game just flashing a warning at you inguess.

She told me that but then I went and did a bunch of side quests and then was just wandering around. It's not like it's a huge deal, but I definitely prefer games that give you the "are you sure you want to go in here right now?" warning before the point of no return.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Any update on that performance mod from yesterday? I don't want to read through 200 posts of people talking about android butts to find out.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

The mod has some weird interactions with the butt implementation but they said they're working on a backdoor fix

LOL

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

It's a good thing I didn't try to go crazy on the character-action aspect of this game though by playing Hard mode or whatever; it's certainly good, but I don't think it has the polish to stand to a dedicated character-action game. Not to mentioned the frequent genre-shifts to shooters does mess with the flow.

Actually hard mode is good and fun. I haven't tried very hard yet though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

I feel really bad for everyone who's been having issues with the PC fan-patch. It completely saved the port for me - fixed the fullscreen resolution bug and made it run better thanks to the global illumination setting. The modder recently updated it to feature a better frame-limiter than the one that comes with the game, too.

Can I set the framerate to 144 and does that gently caress with the gameplay in any way?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My main complaint with the game so far is that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to work with OBS. I've tried fixes that work for other people and still either just get a static image of the loading screen or a white screen.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

So obvious question maybe, but is there actually any benefit to playing on higher difficulties? I'm decent at Platinum games but "every enemy hits three times as hard" mixed with the Dark Souls-esque equipment loss system doesn't seem like a great time.

The benefit is that you actually feel some tension during battles, because if you stay on normal past path A or so, the combat will be completely trivial.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

BUT THEN YOU DIE AND ALL YOUR CHIPS ARE GONE AND YOU GOTTA GET THEM BACK

but then it KILLS YOU in ONE HIT and you lost EVERYTHING and then you are VERY ANGRY

EDIT: I mean gently caress me, but Dark Souls at least didn't unequip all my gear every time I died

EDIT EDIT: gently caress you and gently caress this. Hard mode can throw enemies seven levels higher than me at me, Hard mode can punish me harshly for dying, Hard Mode can give me not enough health to survive basic attacks, but if it's going to do all three, then I'm not even going to loving bother this is abject horse poo poo

do you know how many enemies can bust out shockwave moves that kill you in one hit the answer is a surprisingly large loving amount

You can literally spam the dodge move for like 90% of the game and never get die. I played all but the first half of playthrough A on hard and only double-died twice the entire time. And when that happens you just reload and redo the five or ten minutes your lost. This game is so much easier than dark souls, too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Iretep posted:

The solution to hard mode is to be 10 levels higher than the enemies. So theyll only 2 or 3 shot you instead.

Not really, it's just to have a proper chip load out. I switched from normal to hard around level 25, and was going to against content that was 10+ levels above me and still not getting one shot. The game throws so many healing options at you that as long as you're not getting one shot you can easily cruise through anything (aside from like the gold robots who take basically no damage)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

How on earth do you reach that one chest in the Flooded City.

From the building in the middle sort of where the worm thing is, you can use all of the air moves to jump across. So jump, jump+pod to get tossed forward, dash, hold X to float, while floating do that helicopter kick thing, then spam light attack if you need to close the last bit of distance.

Oxxidation posted:

Either fill up on speed and evade distance chips and execute a really good triple longjump, or remote-control one of the flying bots and self-destruct on the rooftop. There's Youtube clips of the former, if you want to know the exact button combination.

I actually don't think I had either move speed or evade range chips when I did it. At most I had a move speed+2 because that's all I ever used.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The desert theme is incredibly overwrought and awful, but the rest is pretty good. It's not a soundtrack I would listen to outside of playing the game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm finally making some headway in this game. Just got to the amusement park. I'm not sure if it really matters yet, but what should I be doing with my chipset? I bought 8 extra slots in the satellite base and used chips for attack damage buff and +5% HP. Should I have anything better this early in the game? Need pro strats.

Just focus on diamond chips. The game throws a ton of trash chips at you as quest rewards, like a +6 chip that costs 26 slots and poo poo like that. Don't use these. You'll eventually figure out the diamond costs for different upgrade levels and realize that most of the time you're better off with a bunch of diamond +1 to +3 chips than you are with a few terrible +6 chips.

Melee defense+ and range defense+ are both good if you're getting one-shot; if you're not getting one-shot then these are better replaced with healing or offense chips. Overclock and Antichain damage are both really good defensive chips.

Deadly heal, autoheal (this automatically heals over time if you haven't taken damage in a bit), offensive heal are all good for the entirety of the game and all difficulties, as long as you're not getting one-shot.

All of the offensive chips are basically "kill harder" mods, they're not going to make or break you. Shockwave as mentioned is really good, but the challenge in this game is in staying alive; doing damage is never really a problem.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

But that's okay. As long as we get this crucial dlc

I don't even want to quote this because of it, but this is a pretty obvious spoiler that shouldn't just be posted like that in the thread.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Snak posted:

How the gently caress is that a spoiler?

It's 9S in his robot form after the end of A, how is it *not* a spoiler? The pink bow makes it obvious.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

9S is a completely different robot model in that cutscene, the picture shows little sister machne from the village sidequest who originally has the pink bow, you idiot

Okay so it's a spoiler, just not the one I thought it was? Congrats.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Antti posted:

Well that explains why I never managed to upgrade my pods much.

Pure water is super common in the flooded City, every run through there will get you at least a few.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Antti posted:

It may also be possibly the worst encounter for introducing the berserk mechanic.

I did not even remember who Hegel was until this conversation and didn't even know about this mechanic until I just looked up Hegel on youtube.

The bomb pod special attack trivializes so many of these fights.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

Nearing the end of my playthrough (just hunting down upgrade materials by this point), considering doing a hard mode run. Is it worth it or nah?

I ignored the original Nier's hard mode since all it did was making everything take forever to kill without actually making anything harder to kill, which turned the game into a slog. Is Automata's hard mode more worthwhile?

End of playthrough A? Then yeah turn it to hard if you want any sort of challenge in your subsequent playthroughs (the game is still really easy on Hard but at least occasionally presents a little challenge). I don't think it's worth replaying endings A-E just to play on Hard, unless you really want to play again.

Fedule posted:

I must be missing something. What is everyone's problem with Hegel?

I only died to the thing once, because I did what the game said and pressed the button that turned me into a sitting duck. I just... shot it a bunch? And then slashed it a bunch until it died?

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn playing as 9S is misery. He only has like, one combo and he feels so clunky and his attacks either have no range or have so much range they miss everything unless it's a very specific distance away from you. Please tell me I'm missing something

This is my biggest complaint about the game. He ends up being basically the protagonist of the game, but combat is soooooo much less fun with him. Yes you can just hack everything to trivialize combat, but it doesn't make it any more fun and it still feels like you're fighting with one arm in comparison to 2B.