Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

hello byob i am a 31 year old music teacher and i want to get a longboard~

i know nothing about longboarding but i have been reading about different things and i think to start i just want to get a board i can cruise on, maybe eventually get in to freeriding or dancing

i am tall and fat so i am looking at boards that are shaped like this:

the dropthrough i guess is good for big guys to not fall or whatever~

HERE IS WHERE YOU COME IN GOOD YOB

i am looking for gooners to help me in two ways:

1. if you know what you're talking about with longboarding, you can help by submitting actual decks & completes you think would be a good starting place for me. this is invaluable!!
2. if you don't know what you're talking about or are a troll, submit the ugliest decks you can find for my consideration and tell me why you think they are things of beauty.

if i end up choosing the deck or complete you submit, i'll buy you an av cert or something. there's as much chance i'll pick up someone's sage advice as there is someone will find something so ugly it's beautiful and i'll get that because i really don't know what i am doing and the local shops have crap for me~

start searching, goonions, let's find me a longboard that will make me look so fly~~~~~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic

well this is my weapon of choice:

Quest Super Cruiser. it's nice, durable, and cheap. i haven't used it too much since i've gotten it, but it's a decently smooth ride.

Macnult

before i start effortposting what's your budget? longboarding is the poo poo.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's design the skin for the longbyoboard.

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Yobgoblin posted:

longbyoboard.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Danyull

hey op longboards are sick and you're a p sick dude for having the courage to pick it up at 31 :rock:

anyways here's what i have, a landyachtz battle axe

except i found an older model for half as much on craigslist so you might want to check that out. it's a nice stable ride without being too stiff

Quidthulhu

Macnult posted:

before i start effortposting what's your budget? longboarding is the poo poo.

honestly, i'd like to get one that's solid and doesn't make me fall a lot. i know i'm gonna run between $200-300, so when i'm ready, i'll pull the trigger. find me something that rocks~

Yobgoblin posted:

Let's design the skin for the longbyoboard.

if this was actually possible i would 100% let the yob do it because i'd rock a yobbboard

this is a little scary!!

there was actually a santa cruz skate hulk board i REALLY liked but it was a little small and i've heard the santa cruz boards aren't that great. so many opinions on the internet, tho.....

Danyull posted:

hey op longboards are sick and you're a p sick dude for having the courage to pick it up at 31 :rock:

anyways here's what i have, a landyachtz battle axe

except i found an older model for half as much on craigslist so you might want to check that out. it's a nice stable ride without being too stiff

sweet, i'll look into it!

i've heard the landyachts are solid choices. i also know that the rayne boards are good for big guys, so i might get one of those too.....

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Lush is a good, affordable brand.

I have a lush kuni (snakes) and it's rad as heck and great for bombing down hills.

Invest in bike leathers and a full helmet if you want to not die anD enjoy having teeth.

Drop through and dropdeck boards are good for carving, better than the standard shape boards but I find my standard board is much more stable at high speeds.

GoodbyeTurtles fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 22, 2016

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I don't trust the store that rubs lotion on my shoulders when i walk in to craft me a long length board

Macnult

Quidnose posted:

honestly, i'd like to get one that's solid and doesn't make me fall a lot. i know i'm gonna run between $200-300, so when i'm ready, i'll pull the trigger. find me something that rocks~
okay cool you're gonna be set.

Deck: Landyachtz Drop Carve (40")

this deck is perfect for what you want: a cruiser feel on a freeride board. Most cruisers are good for dancing by default, it just depends on the length of the deck. I suggest getting the 40" over the 37" board obviously because more length means more dancing room, but also because the 40" is stiffer and handles better when it comes to freeriding.

Trucks: Bear "GEN 5" Grizzly (181mm, 52°)

Bear trucks are made with landyachtz decks in mind which makes this an easy decision. make sure you get the ones that say 52° and not 40°. Those angles refer to the angle of the baseplates. A lower angle is better suited for downhill/racing while an angle around 50° is the usual standard for people starting out/not doing high speed stuff.

Wheels: ABEC 11 Flashbacks (70mm, 81a)

Abec 11 Flashbacks are one of the best sets of wheels i have ever ridden. They're very grippy but you can get very controlled slides out of them once worn in. I suggest buying a set with a durometer of 81a. Durometer means how hard the wheel is. The lower the number the softer the wheel and vice-versa. A higher durometer wheel will slide faster and slow you down less, but with how grippy Flashbacks are by default it's a good balance. Higher durometers are also suggested for heavier riders.

Bearings: Bones Reds (don't forget to buy spacers!)

Don't get sucked into the bearings hype. You don't have to shell out a crap ton for bearings. Bones Reds are solid, and remember to buy bearing spacers. The link I have below with the full setup has bearing spacers included.

Here's the link

That complete setup has the stock hardware and riser pads which are fine. You don't really need bigger riser pads unless the baseplate angle of your trucks are very low.

IMPORTANT: DON'T FORGET BUSHINGS.

I don't think Muirskate includes bushings with their hardware, but if they do they're most likely not worth keeping on. You want to make sure you have the right bushing for your weight.

That said, Muirskate is a cool website and has a very good page dedicated to bushings. If you don't want to read all of that though, just scroll to the bottom of the page and click on one of the buttons under What type of riding will you be doing? and it will give you a chart that tells you the ideal bushing for your weight.

I don't know your weight, but I know a good bushing for this board setup: https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/bushings/2696/venom-dh-barrel-longboard-skateboard-bushings-pack

:siren: remember to buy two (2) sets of bushings. One set is for one truck :siren:

Quidthulhu

drat, you went to town!! and I even like that deck art pretty ok.......

is 40" gonna be a pain to cart around with me? I can't remember what size I was looking at, I know it was recommended for my height I went over 38"

thanks for putting that all together, it looks like a real solid grab at a pretty good price point!

Macnult

no problem!

40" shouldn't be a problem. the entire board most likely weighs somewhere between 10-15 lbs.
the board is easy to carry and its also easy to keep yourself from knocking it into things. plus if you want to set it down you can just prop it up against a wall.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

this is what I use. simple, sleek, and cost $100.

I also have Bones Reds as my bearing, which i replaced the originals with and use Bones Speed Cream to lube it

When cleaning my bearings I wash them with Kerosene, rinse them with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, then apply the cream and put them back together

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

are you looking to hang ten with your board op or are you wanting a gun to ride big waves?

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Darkman Fanpage
help me pick a hong loard

Macnult

Chill la Chill posted:

are you looking to hang ten with your board op or are you wanting a gun to ride big waves?

Quidthulhu

hang...brain? :confused:

Macnult

Quidnose posted:

hang...brain? :confused:

a longboard can also refer to surfing.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

wait this isn't about surfing????

*reads thread*

:eyepop:

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

This thread makes me want to take up longboarding, it looks cool af

hi how are you ♥

Quidthulhu

that is the true gift of this ~contest~ :v:

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

This thread makes me want to take up longboarding, it looks cool af

it's actually just for white guys too lazy to walk to class

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Putty posted:

yeah that's me

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless
are you gay op, this is important

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Putty posted:

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

is the contest over? did mcnults juggernaut of a post win?

Quidthulhu

i haven't bought anything yet because i am still thinking and considering and i need a little more cash but i hope more people will keep talking about longboarding and submitting cool things so i can have a nice set of things to choose from!

Macnult

Don't forget to buy a helmet too! They can save your life.

Quidthulhu

Macnult posted:

Don't forget to buy a helmet too! They can save your life.

oh yeah i am definitely getting a helmet, no question~

SIDS Vicious

Can someone explain what dancing is with regards to long boarding ?

Macnult

Celluloid Sam posted:

Can someone explain what dancing is with regards to long boarding ?

basically it's when you're cruising and want to throw in some fancy footwork into the mix. here's a video of someone dancing on a longboard and doing a good job.

Quidthulhu

this chick is also real good at it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRV4msmCCcg

I'd love to be able to do dancing eventually but i think i'm gonna be too clumsy and scared :ohdear:

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

You can also dance like this:
https://vimeo.com/72433805 :swoon: alex knost
or
https://vimeo.com/160819088

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Quidnose posted:

this chick is also real good at it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRV4msmCCcg

I'd love to be able to do dancing eventually but i think i'm gonna be too clumsy and scared :ohdear:

I've been to this park and seen the longboarders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went on supermoon night last fall

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

skateboarding is getting popular here and in certain parts of seoul you can always see people with them and it's always longboards or those tiny ones. never ever seen the tony hawk type trick skateboards here, if theres a name for those

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

bacalou

are longboards better for going over surface cracks and general road/sidewalk damage to some extent

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Yes. Bigger spongier wheels

big black turnout

they're also much easier to ride. in college if I wanted to go short board around campus id loan my longboard to my more skating impaired friends because it's so easy to cruise on. maybe ill take a picture of mine when I get home. I don't think it's very good but I've had it for a really really long time now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

bacalou posted:

are longboards better for going over surface cracks and general road/sidewalk damage to some extent

that's their main benefit after the speed/chillness factor

^theyre the best option for crossing campuses / going to beach esp if they have a bike trail

• Locked thread