Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Look man, girls love Sephiroth. Doesn't matter that he wants to do [insert bad thing here]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The ending to this show was kinda stupid, like they couldn't quite decide if they wanted to wrap it up all the way or leave open obvious sequel hooks

But I suppose the whole show was a bit like that. And while it was stupid, it wasn't Guilty Crown stupid. And drat was it pretty!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh boy here we gooo

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
All things considered, this wasn't such a bad way to end things. Convenient, but not bad. They did leave lots of room for a sequel, though it's not strictly necessary.

Kabaneri confirmed for still being a dumb action show in the end, but at least it went back to the good side of the dumb spectrum. I guess that's nice.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

wielder posted:

All things considered, this wasn't such a bad way to end things. Convenient, but not bad. They did leave lots of room for a sequel, though it's not strictly necessary.

Kabaneri confirmed for still being a dumb action show in the end, but at least it went back to the good side of the dumb spectrum. I guess that's nice.
Still a far better deal then with what happened with Ultima IX, Wielder.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
They are making compilation movies for this.

Rather strange, given the short series length, but they may want to increase their profits and improve some of the animation in the process.

Grouchio posted:

Still a far better deal then with what happened with Ultima IX, Wielder.

You're breaking my heart here.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
The ending for this was good enough for me and I kinda hope they don't continue with this in a second season unless they're really sure they know what they're doing. Biba giving Ikoma his white blood was pretty nice of him.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah the ending wasn't too bad. A decent 12 eps.

I feel like if they start exploring it the massive goofiness of the plot is going to catch up to their oh-so-serious setting.

Kurusu blushing was my favorite part of the ending. Also his hair.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'd just be worried that if there was a second season, they'd try to set up Mumei as Ikoma's love interest. Especially given how heavily paired off Ayame and Kurusu are. The writing in this cour was mostly just inoffensively bad summer-blockbuster fare without much that was seriously unpleasant, and I just don't trust Okouchi to keep that up over a longer period after the rest of his recent original works.

It does look like there might well be an S2, but this really does seem like a good place to stop off while the show's still fun.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
They are making an MMO out of this. Which is only going to be released in China. Where they can't watch the show itself because it was banned for being too violent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

wielder posted:

Rather strange, given the short series length, but they may want to increase their profits and improve some of the animation in the process.

Kabaneri did gangbusters on BD v1 pre-orders but only sold around 2/3rds of the pre-orders through. It still did extremely well on sales though.

They're going to ride the merch koutetsujou until it derails, and a S2 will probably happen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Forgall posted:

They are making an MMO out of this. Which is only going to be released in China. Where they can't watch the show itself because it was banned for being too violent.

that's an odd choice, but it isn't like anyone outside of china is gonna miss out on much. "chinese tie-in mmo" is synonymous with "garbage that no one should ever play".

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm fine with a second season, let them go to some other Shogun's territory who actually has competent defenses and is winning against the Kabane as much as anyone, i.e. rarely losing stations instead of them constantly being overwhelmed, and with citizens not completely lost to fear. Our hero brings them Jet Bullet tech, they add that and the Kabaneri to their fighting force, and move out to stop the Kabane at their source. Add a proper antagonist on the Kabane side, like an intelligent Kabane leading them, and there you go.

It'd be a hell of a gamechanger alone if he taught them that all you needed to do to stop becoming a Kabane is choke yourself to the point of dying, it might not work 100% of the time but that'd do a lot to assuage people's fears. Kind of the other side of the coin to how they reacted to him at first, instead of "he's a kabane kill him" it's "he looks like a kabane but he's sane and talking and fighting against them, wow this gives me hope if I'm bitten!" Imagine those suicide bags replaced with choke collars, and instead of always increasing the enemy's numbers you're making super soldiers on your side a healthy percentage of the time.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Give everyone the fetish devices so they can get off wherever they are!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

NowonSA posted:

Imagine those suicide bags replaced with choke collars, and instead of always increasing the enemy's numbers you're making super soldiers on your side a healthy percentage of the time.

It's implied that knowledge of Kabaneri is pretty widespread among the nobles already, though, and "Use a tourniquet so the toxin doesn't migrate" isn't really a difficult concept. And they covered the whole "panic and distrust destroys your city down to the last brick" angle as well as they're going to this season. In the end, the show basically needs to turn into a political thriller to justify the worldbuilding early on, but I'm not sure what more can be done on the political side of things.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It's a good thing for Biba's men that the pretty one made the deal with Ayame. If it had been the rat'stached string bean that Ikoma killed on the tracks, she probably would have thrown them out.

NowonSA posted:

It'd be a hell of a gamechanger alone if he taught them that all you needed to do to stop becoming a Kabane is choke yourself to the point of dying, it might not work 100% of the time but that'd do a lot to assuage people's fears. Kind of the other side of the coin to how they reacted to him at first, instead of "he's a kabane kill him" it's "he looks like a kabane but he's sane and talking and fighting against them, wow this gives me hope if I'm bitten!" Imagine those suicide bags replaced with choke collars, and instead of always increasing the enemy's numbers you're making super soldiers on your side a healthy percentage of the time.

Taking that fear away from the general populace and giving them that kind of power would probably cause as many problems as it would solve for the country's rulers, so if the series did try to go in this direction, I imagine it would have to be done under their noses. It would also require everyone to start donating blood on a regular basis to keep their military fed, and that would be a whole new can of worms to open.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

littleorv posted:

Give everyone the fetish devices so they can get off wherever they are!

It's just going to result in a lot of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFCuUBGmPQ

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Eh, show was alright. Was really nice when the rest of the cast came back and I remembered why I liked this show. Mumei even got to be a Good Character for a lil bit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Biba's right hand man being deemed not worthy of mercy by Ikoma might have been the moment of the episode for me. For some reason, I hated him a fuckton more than I hated Biba (and I hated Biba). So satisfying to see him gone.:allears:

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Biba's right hand ninja/hitman/war criminal was way cooler than Biba so it's only natural he gets the coolest death.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A happy ending?! I don't think I'm ready for this yet!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm happy to see someone besides Sabin take out a train in hand to hand combat. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was a pretty decent show.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So when exactly did Biba give Ikoma the white blood?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

If Mumei didn't act so surprised, I would've said she injected it.
But yeah, after the Kabane giant collapsing and after killing Biba are the only times he could have gotten it and the first time Biba was taking pot shots at him.

Continuity :argh:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lurking Haro posted:

If Mumei didn't act so surprised, I would've said she injected it.
But yeah, after the Kabane giant collapsing and after killing Biba are the only times he could have gotten it and the first time Biba was taking pot shots at him.

Continuity :argh:

The only thing I can think of is Biba's suicide attack, where he stabbed Ikoma in the armpit with his halfsword, but I'm not sure how the injection side of it could possibly have worked.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

A happy ending?! I don't think I'm ready for this yet!

Well, every station we ever saw even briefly was completely overrun by kabane and destroyed, and half the time it was with the direct assistance of Evil dude Biba. I mean our heroes get away, but even they lost some people along the way, like most of the people in the back half of the train during the mountains for instance.

They're riding off across the water, but it's hard to say that they don't have more suffering ahead given what we've seen so far.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I figured it was during their close combat session, but then he's shooting at him after saving him? Yeah that didn't make much sense.

I don't see how it'd happen, but it'd be fun if Ikoma somehow pickpocketed it and used it on himself, and Mumei's like Nii-sama wasn't so bad after all when he was just evil all day every day.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
didn't both pass out at some point? maybe biba woke up earlier and wanted to continue the fight, going so far as injecting ikoma.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

nerdz posted:

didn't both pass out at some point? maybe biba woke up earlier and wanted to continue the fight, going so far as injecting ikoma.

I feel like this is what happened, where Biba shot Ikoma with the white blood just to get him to not go crazy and fight him while he's still sane. Then Mumei stabbed him.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So can anyone explain to me what was going on with Biba's henchmen at the end there? I mean they literally just were held prisoner, executed and drained of blood by these guys while watching them knowingly, willingly and unrepentantly murder three entire cities of innocent people. I know they needed them to get out but at least put them in cells and say you'll put them on trial or something. These guys committed legitimate war-crime level stuff here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

galagazombie posted:

So can anyone explain to me what was going on with Biba's henchmen at the end there? I mean they literally just were held prisoner, executed and drained of blood by these guys while watching them knowingly, willingly and unrepentantly murder three entire cities of innocent people. I know they needed them to get out but at least put them in cells and say you'll put them on trial or something. These guys committed legitimate war-crime level stuff here.

Because they explicitly said that if they really wanted to they could have used force to get what they want; that they didn't is some evidence of decency in some of them; not all of them were completely on board with Captain Ahab. There's also the pressing need for trained soldiers vs the Kabane. I think there's also some sort of theme about fighting the true enemy and this is a way to partially break free of the cycle of human idiocy and madness.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Yeah, despite there being prison cells in stations and whatnot the idea of keeping prisoners in an outright zombie apocalypse doesn't really fly. It pretty much boils down to kill them so they don't consume your resources, or put them to work for the good of your society or group. One thing I liked about World War Z is how they were like "We can't throw people in prison anymore, so let's just do brief punishments instead like whipping or getting put in old-school stocks, and if they really act up we just kill them or send them on a suicide mission." The book basically says "Who could afford to keep feeding and protecting someone who's not producing anything, and assign someone to guard them?"

Of course that's just in the U.S., in other countries things were handled... differently.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ahahaha this show

I give it props for at least being aware of how one-note all the characters were, and having the cut-as-gently caress engineer girl do what she does best again for the finale.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
They added a few scenes showing that the young kabaneri didn't like the sadistic methods employed by the lanky kabaneri. If they shouldn't forgive him they also can't forgive mumei I guess.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
So was the shipwreck in the second to last episode supposed to be the source of the outbreak in Japan or am I reading too far into it?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

So was the shipwreck in the second to last episode supposed to be the source of the outbreak in Japan or am I reading too far into it?

What makes you think that?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lurking Haro posted:

What makes you think that?

Conventional ships with sails seem out of place in a world full of steam trains. I'd think that Japan is still isolated, but there's also that white guy.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

Conventional ships with sails seem out of place in a world full of steam trains. I'd think that Japan is still isolated, but there's also that white guy.

Steam locomotives didn't come to Japan until 1872, after the opening of the country.
It's not like steamboats immediately replaced all sail boats, so the ship can be from whenever.
There are just too few hints to connect it to the Kabane.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

nerdz posted:

They added a few scenes showing that the young kabaneri didn't like the sadistic methods employed by the lanky kabaneri. If they shouldn't forgive him they also can't forgive mumei I guess.
Were we supposed to take him as a kabaneri? I kind of assuming Biba was, but the others it seems uncertain.

Kinda weird they made a big deal about how rare male kabaneri are if they have the same number in the show as the female versions (including the one at the core of the one colony, I think?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what an odd ending. they were trying to go with a hopeful tone but the world seems much worse off than when the series started

• Locked thread