Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

:siren: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (Koutetsujou no Kabaneri)
Wit Studio | Araki, Tetsurou | Action, Shounen | Apr 8, 2016
As the world is in the middle of an industrial revolution, a monster appears that cannot be defeated unless its heart, which is protected by a layer of iron, is pierced. By infecting humans with its bite, the monster can create aggressive and undead creatures known as Kabane. On the island Hinomoto, located in the far east, people have built stations to shelter themselves from these creatures. People access the station, as well as transport wares between them, with the help of a locomotive running on steam, called Hayajiro. Ikoma, a boy who lives in the Aragane station and helps to build Hayajiro, creates his own weapon called Tsuranukizutsu in order to defeat the creatures. One day, as he waits for an opportunity to use his weapon, he meets a girl named Mumei, who is excused from the mandatory Kabane inspection. During the night, Ikuma meets Mumei again as he sees Hayajiro going out of control. The staff on the locomotive has turned into the creatures. The station, now under attack by Kabane, is the opportunity Ikoma has been looking for.
Links: Amazon Prime

People working on this:
Director - Araki, Tetsurou (Di Gi Charat Nyo)
Script - Okouchi, Ichiro (Azumanga Daioh)
Music - Sawano, Hiroyuki (Soul Link)

Characters:

Mumei

Badass. Likes to kill zombies.

Ikoma

Ikoma is a young steam smith who makes a living in Aragane Station making iron and steam engines. He and his good friend Takumi developed a weapon called "Tsuranuki Zutsu" in order to defeat the Kabane. Everyone makes light of him now, but he looks forward to a day when he will be triumphant.

Takumi

Chubby friend. Ikoma's friend. Best friend. Better than any friend YOU will ever have.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I really dig the MC so far. The part where he wanted to save everyone in order to spite them was real funny.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I like the 80s style anime shading

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Amazon Prime? No wonder I couldn't find it on Crunchy or Hulu. I figured either Netflix snagged it, and planned to wait until it was finished to release, or it was delayed by the earthquake. The premise sounds like it was generated by an internet word cloud circa 2010 (Steampunk! Zombies!), but the first episode was decent. I am cautiously optimistic.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
That song and scene with Mumei fighting the Kabane was really good.

It's a shame those blade Geta were left behind.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sydnesider posted:

That song and scene with Mumei fighting the Kabane was really good.

It's a shame those blade Geta were left behind.

I liked her kimono+blade shoes better than what she's got going on now, but she's still the coolest. I'm really enjoying this so far, i like the whole look of it and the animation has been really fun and full of neat little moments.

The world sure is a shithole, and i was kinda surprised to see that they're in Japan (at least on Earth since they show Japan in the OP) and not just in Some Earthlike Planet Somewhere.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The character designs are also by Haruhiko Mikimoto, who you may know from Macross or Gunbuster

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Also the character designer for Orguss and Orguss O2, but nobody remembers those (even though they should, especially O2).

As for the show itself...I am enjoying it, all things considered, but with the clear mindset that this is popcorn entertainment. There are some good parts, which are neat ideas and interesting changes from Attack on Titan, but also some very silly things which will happen for the sake of moving the plot forward. As long as the general public can accept that's also going to be part of the equation, I think it'll be fine. Not a huge fan of Hiroyuki Sawano, so I could take or leave the soundtrack.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Rangpur posted:

Amazon Prime? No wonder I couldn't find it on Crunchy or Hulu. I figured either Netflix snagged it, and planned to wait until it was finished to release, or it was delayed by the earthquake. The premise sounds like it was generated by an internet word cloud circa 2010 (Steampunk! Zombies!), but the first episode was decent. I am cautiously optimistic.

huh. i might actually find a use for prime outside of the free deliveries.

cool_boy_mew
Apr 27, 2008

King Dedede Drooling While Eating

Seriously, that's some fantastic animation. Wit Studio delivers again on the animation quality

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The main character makes me laugh. He just wants to make the world saving murder device. Why won't you leave him in peace!?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kabaneri is good. Mumei owns. And Ikoma is really, really determined.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I have to admit I put this on my list of stuff to check out initially only because I'm trying to expand my normal scope of what I try and the trailer looked kinda neat but I wasn't expecting it to be this cool. I'm really digging it so far though. I'm also glad the crazy sex harness is a permanent fixture on main guy's body. That scene was v. weird/excellent.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

this show is really good. liking it a lot so far, wish ep 3 had aired but what're you gonna do. at least the animators probably got some extra time or something on episode 4

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/WIT_STUDIO/status/723878283851390977
:yeah:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mumei is written as "Nameless" :aaa:

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
The anime critical community is loving this series, but I can't find much discussion on it anywhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I like the chubby best friend more than the protagonist. Ikoma kinda has no choice but to accept what has happened to him, but his friend stuck by him despite how huge a taboo that is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This is winning the Anime As gently caress award this season by a mile. The Mumei fight actually left me double speechless, both in how ridiculous it was and how incredibly animated it was.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Serious Frolicking posted:

I like the chubby best friend more than the protagonist. Ikoma kinda has no choice but to accept what has happened to him, but his friend stuck by him despite how huge a taboo that is.

:agreed: Chubby friend should at least get a mention in the OP

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the best friend character is a total bro, you can see the thoughts going through his head, his initial doubting of his friend, then the guilt of abandoning him, then the resolve to redeem himself

also, rewatching it, the animation of the early part wasn't that bad, they just tidied up some scenes. if anything, the show looks like it was done by two different groups: one did more "modern" animation linework and shading, the other had much softer shading

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

livingfruitvirus posted:

The anime critical community is loving this series, but I can't find much discussion on it anywhere.

If it's not on crunchyroll it might as well not exist for lots of folks.

also lmbo at "anime critical community"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Amazon Prime is notably US only. that pretty kills it's exposure overseas.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Amazon Prime is notably US only. that pretty kills it's exposure overseas.

Amazon Prime is also available in Europe, but it's not really well known for anime.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

Amazon Prime is also available in Europe, but it's not really well known for anime.

I don't believe it is in the US either? Unless I am more out of touch than I realize.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Takumi

Chubby friend. Ikoma's friend. Best friend. Better than any friend YOU will ever have.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

linall posted:

I don't believe it is in the US either? Unless I am more out of touch than I realize.

It's not, but they just signed an agreement to exclusively stream Noitamina shows so maybe that will become a thing? Amazon is going to force their way into every market it looks like.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's not, but they just signed an agreement to exclusively stream Noitamina shows so maybe that will become a thing? Amazon is going to force their way into every market it looks like.

drat. I might have to re-up my Prime subscription.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Mumei's new outfit looks like Son Goku's outfit, and I'm certain that's deliberate. It even has the sideburns.

The Devil Tesla posted:

also lmbo at "anime critical community"

Seriously, I remember when people looked down on critics with disdain and contempt, and now there are enough of them to have communities??

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Just watched the first episode on Prime, holy loving poo poo am I on board for wherever this train goes. :hellyeah:

The Devil Tesla posted:

Them and Valve, just saw that you can buy and watch movies on Steam now which is a total no-brainer move.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 26, 2016

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Command Ant posted:

Mumei's new outfit looks like Son Goku's outfit, and I'm certain that's deliberate. It even has the sideburns.

she was also traveling with some monk guy. but he died

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I like this show, even though i totaly don't get anything about that self-asphyxiation scene there. The entire time he was bolting a sex harness into his torso and choking himself on a noose, i thought "what is your end game here?", but i admired his dedication.

Also, heroism out of spite is my secret fetish.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I like this show, even though i totaly don't get anything about that self-asphyxiation scene there. The entire time he was bolting a sex harness into his torso and choking himself on a noose, i thought "what is your end game here?", but i admired his dedication.

Also, heroism out of spite is my secret fetish.

He was applying a tourniquet to keep the infection from reaching his brain, operating on the theory that the plague only had a short window of opportunity to turn a human into a kabane. Luckily for him, he was right.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

He was trying to stop the virus from reaching his brain. I don't think that's how viruses work, but in this crazy, zombie-and-steam infested world we live in, who can say what's right and wrong.

e:f,b

So I'll add my compliments to the spite-based heroics scene. Bits like that, and his exuberance about getting the gun working give me hope for the show. I feel like when you have a glum, oppressive premise it makes bright spots all the more important for the tone. A lot of likewise promising shows either run out of money or collapse under their own misery and pretension, so I'm crossing my fingers for this one.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 27, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that "short window of opportunity" for turning is the thing i didn't know about. I would never entertain that thought on my own. Me watching was like: Okay, it's like a virus instead of a curse, he made that clear. It works fast- uh wait, why are you choking yourself? I get you want to stop it from reaching your head, but you're gonna suffocate in a fe- what the hell even happened??

It was a cool make-over though and that's enough for me.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Well, it gave him super-powers, if Mumei is any indication, so it all works out

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

HenryEx posted:

I think that was just Araki saying "Wouldn't it be bitchin if someone had to choke themselves to death in order to live?!"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is a fun show, very similar to Attack on Titan in general, but lots of specific touches to the world design that make it much different. I don't know how they're affording this level of production value though, and I hope it doesn't lead to plummeting quality as the series goes on. It's strange to see an action show from the noitaminA block.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

davidHalestorm posted:

Well, it gave him super-powers, if Mumei is any indication, so it all works out
Yeah it did at least on some level, there was the bit with the pipe that was hot to his friend's hand but he didn't even notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cicero posted:

Yeah it did at least on some level, there was the bit with the pipe that was hot to his friend's hand but he didn't even notice.

Also, those kabane were really going at him, even if their bites were no longer instadoom, and he just kept shrugging it off. Guy's tough.

• Locked thread