Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lurking Haro posted:

A jet of super heated steam would be awesome, but would it leave such a huge dent in a steel plate?
Also thanks for the video.

with enough pressure, yes. now, would something the size of the ikoma' gun be able to generate such a jet without exploding first or throwing ikoma across the room? probably not but this is animu

his gun might also work kinda like this thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrgTtZXuj4w

Condiv fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Near as I can tell, it's a piledriver with a 'jacket' of superheated steam. It pierces and burns/melts at once.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Darth Walrus posted:

Near as I can tell, it's a piledriver with a 'jacket' of superheated steam. It pierces and burns/melts at once.

we would've seen the pile part of the piledriver at this point if it were one. remember he blew out that kabane's heart, so the pile driver should've been at least momentarily visible as it pierced that first kabane he killed

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
When Ayame is on the ball, she is brilliant at making big dramatic gestures to inspire people around her. And this isn't empty inspiration, this is real self sacrifice to aid those different from you, with the faith that they will reciprocate. This is the big message of the show.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The moment when the Kabaneri dropped down from the tunnel entrance was amazing. And Mumei was badass as always.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The sheer stupidity of the opposition faction to give the only master key to the train to a trio of idiots while the train was traveling at high speed through mountainous terrain full of kabane is actually impressive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The moment when the Kabaneri dropped down from the tunnel entrance was amazing. And Mumei was badass as always.

Kabaneri are not Kabane!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Kabaneri are not Kabane!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

....What the hell just happened?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Well, that's one way to raise the stakes. Japan seems to have a thing for this type of threat.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
The titans are made out of Kabane!

... yeah, this was a pretty silly episode, both for the obvious reasons and for forcing Mumei's drama in a pretty hamfisted way.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

Grouchio posted:

....What the hell just happened?

We found out smoke is bad for you

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Pretty close to giving up on the show at this point, it's clear the show runners don't really know what they're doing. Every bit of drama is the result of someone or some group of people doing something incredibly loving stupid. Every single episode. Random train thugs trying to kill the only people that can protect them, Ayame giving the keys to other thugs, train people not willing to look at Ikoma's new weapon, Ikoma running after Ayame instead of sticking to the plan, everything Mumei did this entire episode, Ikoma not completing his mission etc etc.

If you can't get your story to move forward without everyone being pants on head morons, then you're doing a pretty lovely job.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

yeah this show had a pretty cool first second episode but they've all seemed pretty poor since then

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's gettin all Clive Barker up in here.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The drama is dumb, but at least the setting is relatively novel and interesting.

wielder posted:

Well, that's one way to raise the stakes. Japan seems to have a thing for this type of threat.

I imagine it's meant to emulate the sort of structures ants can form due to their hive mind. Making something more limb or humanoid shaped is basically a creative extension of that sort of idea.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Like I've said before, I've never expected this show to be smart and sophisticated. All of the stuff we're seeing is relatively standard for a zombie apocalypse and/or action-oriented anime setup. That said, I didn't feel this was a misstep. In fact, I was afraid they'd make Mumei far too overpowered and not come up with ways of making the Kabane threatening to her and Ikoma.

Folks may prefer to always see Mumei being cool and strong rather than showing any sign of self-doubt or vulnerability, but I actually didn't mind that at all. If I had to criticize that angle, I'd call it merely "predictable" rather than inherently "dumb" at the end of the day. Given Mumei's juvenile attitude and the fact she has been doing the whole "kill all the zombies" thing for an unspecified amount of time, most of the elements for something like that to happen were already on the table. We were just lacking a trigger that would make her careless enough.

I still wouldn't call her behavior during this episode "brilliant" or anything, but I think the hints they're revealing about her past made it easier to understand.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 13, 2016

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Really, everyone's actions and attitudes so far are appropriate for their personalities and situation, with Mumei's apparent coolness being a result of her immaturity and everything about Ikoma being the result of the massive chip on his shoulder. I think some of you might be expecting way, way too much hard logic from a bunch of steampunk peasants trapped in a steel coffin.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked this episode and nearly crapped my pants at the end of it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Don't you go expecting anything great from this anime you goofballs. Lower those expectations in advance and you won't be caught off guard when this anime Heroes itself.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
So ikoma invented new weapons that mumei already had the whole time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RareAcumen posted:

Don't you go expecting anything great from this anime you goofballs. Lower those expectations in advance and you won't be caught off guard when this anime Heroes itself.

I rarely expect greatness from anime anymore. Pleasant surprises are what I live for.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

.Clash posted:

Mumei came into the village like two days before it got totally wrecked.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

.Clash posted:

Mumei probably has no idea how her stuff works, anyways. And it's not like the others had the time or opportunity to reverse-engineer her weapons.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

.Clash posted:

I doubt Munmei understood how it worked. Ikoma did though. Afaict, it's steam pressure and possibly gunpowder launched shells that explode on impact compared to their previous method of bullets launched by steam and/or gunpowder

The blade thing makes me assume that the kabane's heart cage is made out of a stronger metal, but coating their swords with the same metal wouldn't do much beyond make their swords more rigid due to the increased strength. The amount force needed to cut through it would still need to be increased to overcome the tensile strength of the metal. I might be a little off, but I believe that's how it would work based on my engineering knowledge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I doubt Munmei understood how it worked. Ikoma did though. Afaict, it's steam pressure and possibly gunpowder launched shells that explode on impact compared to their previous method of bullets launched by steam and/or gunpowder

The blade thing makes me assume that the kabane's heart cage is made out of a stronger metal, but coating their swords with the same metal wouldn't do much beyond make their swords more rigid due to the increased strength. The amount force needed to cut through it would still need to be increased to overcome the tensile strength of the metal. I might be a little off, but I believe that's how it would work based on my engineering knowledge.

Yeah, giving the swords a stronger edge isn't going to be enough. They need to be performing iaido slashes so fast that they break the sound barrier.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Uh I mean that someone else made her weapons and decided not to share this game changing technology with the rest of future past japan.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

.Clash posted:

Uh I mean that someone else made her weapons and decided not to share this game changing technology with the rest of future past japan.
Stations are quite isolated and there's no method from long-distance communication aside from sending a messenger. The logistics are difficult enough that you don't need to assume negligence or malicious intent.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kyte posted:

Stations are quite isolated and there's no method from long-distance communication aside from sending a messenger. The logistics are difficult enough that you don't need to assume negligence or malicious intent.

Given that there looks to also be a political subplot on the horizon, malicious intent may actually be a possibility.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I get the sense that Mumei's equipment is special. Even wherever she's from there probably aren't very many Kabaneri because you need to be bitten within a short distance of an industrial autoerotic asphyxiation machine. My assumption is that she's using the same fundamental technology as everyone's guns did before Ikoma's upgrades, just turned up to the point where it's not practical to mass produce them.

Mumei hosed up this episode but it's mostly understandable. She at least appears to be pretty young and she's got something to prove. I don't have a problem with how Ikoma reacted, though, he's not a calculating sort of person.

e: Oh and the corpse golem was just silly.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 13, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically the government knows the secrets of the zombies, but are unwilling to let their weapons proliferate lest the population become independent and stop paying allegiance

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Pretty close to giving up on the show at this point, it's clear the show runners don't really know what they're doing. Every bit of drama is the result of someone or some group of people doing something incredibly loving stupid. Every single episode. Random train thugs trying to kill the only people that can protect them, Ayame giving the keys to other thugs, train people not willing to look at Ikoma's new weapon, Ikoma running after Ayame instead of sticking to the plan, everything Mumei did this entire episode, Ikoma not completing his mission etc etc.

If you can't get your story to move forward without everyone being pants on head morons, then you're doing a pretty lovely job.

Literally all of these things make perfect sense in the context of the setting.

• Train thugs want to kill the people who can protect them because they are now homeless refugees who just lost everything to terrible zombie monsters. Mumei and Ikoma are some sort of weird not really understood zombie monster hybrids that absolutely no one on the train had heard of existing before the day their town was attacked and everyone was murdered by zombies; lashing out at them is a way for the train thugs to feel like they're getting some manner of revenge against the Kabane while also protecting themselves, since they don't really have any idea or concept of what a Kabaneri is and as far as they're concerned Mumei and Ikoma are just delayed infection victims.
  • Ayame gives up the key to the other dude because of a combination of her being unsure if she's fit to lead because she's been thrust into this role incredibly suddenly and traumatically, and the fact that the general populace on the train are two steps short of rioting out of sheer terror and the rear end in a top hat Faction's plan will placate them.
  • People don't want to look at Ikoma's stuff because they don't trust Ikoma at all yet. He's a freaky zombie man and literally all of these people were just rendered homeless refugees and saw half their town eaten by freaky zombie men.
  • Ikoma went after Ayame because he desperately needed blood to even continue moving.
  • Mumei is a kid(she's supposedly like 12 or 13!) whose only purpose in life has been to kill Kabane and she just got shaken pretty badly at the thought of being tossed away like garbage if she stopped being useful for killing Kabane. Coupled with the fact that based on her smugness she's pretty obviously never run into a significant challenge before, it's easy to see why she'd be an arrogant rear end in a top hat here and get burned for it.
  • Ikoma had to choose between "100% for sure let Mumei die immediately and get the train free slightly faster" or "Save Mumei, get the train free slightly later". Even if Mumei hosed up real bad this ep, Ikoma is pretty clearly not the kind of person to spitefully let someone die because they're an rear end in a top hat. Hell, even if he were, letting Mumei bite the dust would be loving idiotic from a cold logic standpoint because she's a Kabane genocide machine. He had no real reason to suspect there would be a goddamn rockslide caused by the appearance of a giant corpse golem.

Context is really important for understanding why characters act the way they do and I haven't seen any really egregious "the way this character is acting makes no sense" problems.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kanos posted:

• Train thugs want to kill the people who can protect them because they are now homeless refugees who just lost everything to terrible zombie monsters. Mumei and Ikoma are some sort of weird not really understood zombie monster hybrids that absolutely no one on the train had heard of existing before the day their town was attacked and everyone was murdered by zombies; lashing out at them is a way for the train thugs to feel like they're getting some manner of revenge against the Kabane while also protecting themselves, since they don't really have any idea or concept of what a Kabaneri is and as far as they're concerned Mumei and Ikoma are just delayed infection victims.
  • Ayame gives up the key to the other dude because of a combination of her being unsure if she's fit to lead because she's been thrust into this role incredibly suddenly and traumatically, and the fact that the general populace on the train are two steps short of rioting out of sheer terror and the rear end in a top hat Faction's plan will placate them.
  • People don't want to look at Ikoma's stuff because they don't trust Ikoma at all yet. He's a freaky zombie man and literally all of these people were just rendered homeless refugees and saw half their town eaten by freaky zombie men.
  • Ikoma went after Ayame because he desperately needed blood to even continue moving.
  • Mumei is a kid(she's supposedly like 12 or 13!) whose only purpose in life has been to kill Kabane and she just got shaken pretty badly at the thought of being tossed away like garbage if she stopped being useful for killing Kabane. Coupled with the fact that based on her smugness she's pretty obviously never run into a significant challenge before, it's easy to see why she'd be an arrogant rear end in a top hat here and get burned for it.
  • Ikoma had to choose between "100% for sure let Mumei die immediately and get the train free slightly faster" or "Save Mumei, get the train free slightly later". Even if Mumei hosed up real bad this ep, Ikoma is pretty clearly not the kind of person to spitefully let someone die because they're an rear end in a top hat. Hell, even if he were, letting Mumei bite the dust would be loving idiotic from a cold logic standpoint because she's a Kabane genocide machine. He had no real reason to suspect there would be a goddamn rockslide caused by the appearance of a giant corpse golem.

Context is really important for understanding why characters act the way they do and I haven't seen any really egregious "the way this character is acting makes no sense" problems.

quoting this because a significant portion of the audience seems to be incapable of mentally modelling the characters to understand their behaviours

like you can criticise most of the characters are huge stereotypes with all their cards on the table, but at least most of their actions are consistent

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah I don't understand people not digging the show.

I dig it. So yeah. Go zombie man.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Thank you, Kanos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

Actually, Ikoma only saved her out of spite. Spite is all that's keeping him going right now. As soon as he becomes a celebrated, thanked and appreciated hero, *snaps fingers* instant Kabane.

All that's keeping him running right now is spite and blood. He's going to cure Kabane-ism and blow his head off immediately afterwards, flipping everyone off while he does it.

Everything else is cool, good, and correct, however.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kanos posted:

I envy your patience; good post.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kanos posted:

Can you explain the steam powered bow-and-arrow, then?

This episode was much better than the last, but I still find myself getting annoyed by minor aspects of the setting, certain character actions, and the fact that everyone feels a pathological need to act like a badass and destroy potentially useful armor every time they want to go through a portal.

And yeah, even while I'm critical of the series, I thought Mumei's actions in this episode were realistic, even if they didn't necessarily "make sense" when looked at from a distant perspective.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So this is basically Medieval Deadspace in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

Can you explain the steam powered bow-and-arrow, then?

It looks like basically a more primitive version of the steam guns; steam pressure assists in pushing a projectile forward at drastically higher speed than manual human muscle power and bow tension could achieve. It's probably not in common use among the bushi because it would be harder to train people to use it than simply teaching them to use a gun, and it's probably not as powerful because instead of the big backpack steam pressure units that the steam guns have it just has a smallish pressure chamber on the limb of the bow itself. As for why you would need to draw an arrow instead of just slotting it in and pulling the trigger, it could be an aerodynamic/flight stability thing, or it could be to help improve the accuracy because you don't have a rifled barrel to aim.

(The real answer is that this show is Clockwork Steampunk to its very marrow while also being Romanticized Feudal Japan as gently caress, and a stereotypical martial noblewoman in Anime Feudal Japan would use a bow and a naginata, so she has a ridiculous nonsensical clockwork bow).

• Locked thread