Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Million Ghosts posted:

i have to agree with whoever said it feels like a cheeseball 80s/90s OVA but i'm not sure totally why

Because it's hyperviolent and has lots of extremely strong emotions going on onscreen at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The sheer stupidity of the opposition faction to give the only master key to the train to a trio of idiots while the train was traveling at high speed through mountainous terrain full of kabane is actually impressive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Shakugan posted:

Pretty close to giving up on the show at this point, it's clear the show runners don't really know what they're doing. Every bit of drama is the result of someone or some group of people doing something incredibly loving stupid. Every single episode. Random train thugs trying to kill the only people that can protect them, Ayame giving the keys to other thugs, train people not willing to look at Ikoma's new weapon, Ikoma running after Ayame instead of sticking to the plan, everything Mumei did this entire episode, Ikoma not completing his mission etc etc.

If you can't get your story to move forward without everyone being pants on head morons, then you're doing a pretty lovely job.

Literally all of these things make perfect sense in the context of the setting.

• Train thugs want to kill the people who can protect them because they are now homeless refugees who just lost everything to terrible zombie monsters. Mumei and Ikoma are some sort of weird not really understood zombie monster hybrids that absolutely no one on the train had heard of existing before the day their town was attacked and everyone was murdered by zombies; lashing out at them is a way for the train thugs to feel like they're getting some manner of revenge against the Kabane while also protecting themselves, since they don't really have any idea or concept of what a Kabaneri is and as far as they're concerned Mumei and Ikoma are just delayed infection victims.
  • Ayame gives up the key to the other dude because of a combination of her being unsure if she's fit to lead because she's been thrust into this role incredibly suddenly and traumatically, and the fact that the general populace on the train are two steps short of rioting out of sheer terror and the rear end in a top hat Faction's plan will placate them.
  • People don't want to look at Ikoma's stuff because they don't trust Ikoma at all yet. He's a freaky zombie man and literally all of these people were just rendered homeless refugees and saw half their town eaten by freaky zombie men.
  • Ikoma went after Ayame because he desperately needed blood to even continue moving.
  • Mumei is a kid(she's supposedly like 12 or 13!) whose only purpose in life has been to kill Kabane and she just got shaken pretty badly at the thought of being tossed away like garbage if she stopped being useful for killing Kabane. Coupled with the fact that based on her smugness she's pretty obviously never run into a significant challenge before, it's easy to see why she'd be an arrogant rear end in a top hat here and get burned for it.
  • Ikoma had to choose between "100% for sure let Mumei die immediately and get the train free slightly faster" or "Save Mumei, get the train free slightly later". Even if Mumei hosed up real bad this ep, Ikoma is pretty clearly not the kind of person to spitefully let someone die because they're an rear end in a top hat. Hell, even if he were, letting Mumei bite the dust would be loving idiotic from a cold logic standpoint because she's a Kabane genocide machine. He had no real reason to suspect there would be a goddamn rockslide caused by the appearance of a giant corpse golem.

Context is really important for understanding why characters act the way they do and I haven't seen any really egregious "the way this character is acting makes no sense" problems.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

Can you explain the steam powered bow-and-arrow, then?

It looks like basically a more primitive version of the steam guns; steam pressure assists in pushing a projectile forward at drastically higher speed than manual human muscle power and bow tension could achieve. It's probably not in common use among the bushi because it would be harder to train people to use it than simply teaching them to use a gun, and it's probably not as powerful because instead of the big backpack steam pressure units that the steam guns have it just has a smallish pressure chamber on the limb of the bow itself. As for why you would need to draw an arrow instead of just slotting it in and pulling the trigger, it could be an aerodynamic/flight stability thing, or it could be to help improve the accuracy because you don't have a rifled barrel to aim.

(The real answer is that this show is Clockwork Steampunk to its very marrow while also being Romanticized Feudal Japan as gently caress, and a stereotypical martial noblewoman in Anime Feudal Japan would use a bow and a naginata, so she has a ridiculous nonsensical clockwork bow).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lestaki posted:

I agree with this as far as it goes. Mumei becoming a loose cannon, in and of itself, makes perfect sense. She's a headstrong youngster defined by her physical prowess. You don't need any further explanations for her to do something stupid.

Unfortunately, they built to this by introducing a random uninteresting character we'll probably never see again to monologue about how Mumei will be abandoned by her brother and how associating with people is making her 'weak'. This is so paint-by-the-numbers shounen my eyes rolled into the back of my skull. Before this, we had a clunky scene to show she was getting along with people when they literally applaud her for beating people up; after, we have a clunky scene to show she's not getting along with people because she's a tactless rear end in a top hat. The traits leading to her interactions in those scenes are already clearly part of Mumei's character; I just wish they'd done them in a more subtle way and without introducing No Leg McSpy. It's not that the characters make no sense, it's that the writing is lousy.

I was pretty positive on this show prior to this episode but five really fell flat for me. I hope they pick it up in six.

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to contend that the writing is subtle or elegant, because it's not. Most of the characters slot into blatant character archetypes seamlessly and many of the characters' actions and emotional reactions are very exaggerated and, well, cartoonish. Ikoma is the young, selfless male hero who suffered a loss of a loved one early in life and has devoted his life since then to both seeking vengeance and protecting the innocent and has now been granted a special power to achieve his goal. Mumei is the physically unstoppable but emotionally and mentally brittle headstrong young assassin. Ayame is the young noblewoman who is naive and self-conscious about being thrust into a leadership role but ends up displaying incredible savvy and inner strength. All of these characters could have been basically copy-pasted from other shows and stories.

That said, the directness of the writing is almost charming to me. It's internally consistent, everyone acts in an exaggerated manner to the extremes of their character archetype. I generally can tell exactly what is going to happen before it happens, but it's usually done in a way that entertains me and the animation and sound work is extremely good. Watching this show very much reminds me of watching a dumb, fun 80s or early 90s gorefest OVA like MD Geist or Ninja Gaiden, where the characters and plot are kind of goofy but you're not really watching for an original story or to do literary analysis.

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, their courage has been valourised pretty heavily. Think about all those big dramatic suicides, and the princess's stick-in-the-mud bodyguard duelling the sword-Kabane. They definitely feel more like admirable people stuck in a bad system than the politicians we've seen. Them having cool weapons and getting involved in cool action scenes helps too - this show absolutely knows we're here for the steampunk zombie violence, and therefore the characters who provide it to us are inherently better than the characters who do not.

The portrayal of the Bushi has been a little schizophrenic. Since we've hopped on the train they've been mostly spotless, but in the early episodes there was definitely some messaging about how the Bushi might be corrupt or cowardly; specifically the scene where Ikoma gets the poo poo beaten out of him and imprisoned for the crime of trying to get them to follow the established law and imprison the bitten guy for a couple of days to see if he's actually infected or not rather than simply executing him on the spot out of fear. This might just be part of the setup that paints the society in the show as incredibly hostile and fearful of Kabane to set up why Ikoma and Mumei are outcast at the start, but it seems weird to use the Bushi to do it if you're then planning to pivot to showing them as flawless noble warriors.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not that they're corrupt or cowardly, it's that they're proud and Ikoma offended them, even though he's right.

Their reaction to Ikoma is definitely motivated by him stinging their pride, but they were going to straight up execute the bitten guy before Ikoma intervened at all, which suggests a culture of superstition and fear.

Similarly, when the town got hit, Ayame's father's first reaction wasn't "We need to get as many people out as possible", it was "Ayame, stay here while I clear the path to the train and then we're going to get the gently caress out of here". Obviously a big part of that is simple pragmatism, but the message being protected was definitely not one of selfless nobility and bravery.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So I've enjoyed this show as the mindless action it is, but holy poo poo this show triggers some deep set sperg in me I never knew I had.

For context, I work on the railroad and have some decent background as a manager, so needless to say the trains in this show work weird.

Who the gently caress maintains the tracks between stations? Tracks that take heavy tonnage (Those trains easily weigh more than most freight trains) would need repair. And because its wood tie railroad, that means it can lose gauge if enough ties gently caress up, and considering when those trains travel they're mowing down corpses, that's not exactly something easy to repair. So who the gently caress is repairing the tracks?

The train engineer lady also last episode said "Evasive maneuvers" which is so loving ridiculous like what the hell? Trains are ON RAILS they don't dodge. And more importantly how did she move the switch? Switches nowadays are done either remotely or manually by hand, but nobody threw the switch so she could make a sudden detour, it just happened. Do they have remote control? Throughout the show it seems random what can magically switch remotely and what cannot.

Also who the gently caress is designing these curves. Not only do they have almost no elevation to bank on, but even worse they make arbitrary high degree turns in the middle of their stations for NO loving REASON. Like I get its fantasy trains but it just looks stupid having tracks with random curves that could have been straight.

Also the wheel lift that happened in episode six was laughable watching a bunch of people 'lean' on the car hoping that'd tip it back. The train weighs far more than they do and they are insignificant cargo compared to the train itself. No matter what they did it was either derailing or it wasn't.

In short, holy poo poo this show is so loving inaccurate but at least its really cool.

This is a super interesting post. I'm not being sarcastic or a dick, it really is.

Seriously, I never thought I'd see an honest to god train worker come in and comment on the plausibility and logistics of steampunk anime zombie-mower trains. :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It's implied that they had different creation methods. Hence Ikoma's always-on harness and lack of a time limit. On the other hand, it might just be that he's a pasty nerd and she's a healthy kid who gets plenty of outdoor exercise.

Ikoma still has a time limit, it just seems to be far less restrictive than Mumei's. He almost hit the end of it when he first got blood from Ayame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I think there's two separate (though probably related) things going on there. All Kabaneri go into a frenzy if they don't get regular doses of blood. However, Mumei also gets sleepy after extended physical activity, which doesn't seem to be affected by how much blood she has, whereas Ikoma is basically a humanoid Energizer bunny.

It looked like Ikoma was going to pass out before he got the blood from Ayame, not go into a frenzy. He could barely move any more. He even got the same glowing face lines that Mumei does when she overworks herself.

• Locked thread