Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kanos posted:

Context is really important for understanding why characters act the way they do and I haven't seen any really egregious "the way this character is acting makes no sense" problems.

I envy your patience; good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's not that they're corrupt or cowardly, it's that they're proud and Ikoma offended them, even though he's right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kanos posted:

Their reaction to Ikoma is definitely motivated by him stinging their pride, but they were going to straight up execute the bitten guy before Ikoma intervened at all, which suggests a culture of superstition and fear.

Similarly, when the town got hit, Ayame's father's first reaction wasn't "We need to get as many people out as possible", it was "Ayame, stay here while I clear the path to the train and then we're going to get the gently caress out of here". Obviously a big part of that is simple pragmatism, but the message being protected was definitely not one of selfless nobility and bravery.

I'm not arguing that they're selflessly noble or brave either, I just think one of those scenes speaks to systemic corruption (namely Ayame's father abandoning the town -- keeping in mind he's a noble, not a military leader per se) while the other one is more "exactly what you would expect to happen when you use the military as a police force during a siege by literal monsters." It's wrong to kill that guy, but it speaks more to ignorance and immediate pressures like "if I get this wrong he could infect the entire town," than it does to portraying the Bushi as morally compromised. Maybe that is cowardly in a sense, but it's consistent with them protecting people on the train, while if Ayame's father showed up again and was suddenly "let's get these people safely to the capital" it'd be suspicious and hypocritical.

e: Or put it another way, paranoia and cowardice are subtly different, even if they could both fairly be described as "a culture of fear." Paranoia is natural in a soldier, it keeps them and their friends alive; it's also why you don't use soldiers to keep the peace in a civilian setting. Cowardice isn't desirable in any context. Depicting someone as paranoid doesn't carry the same moral disapproval as portraying someone as a coward.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 14, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"Everyone is actually strong in different ways" doesn't cut to the core of the problem; "it's okay to be weak," while it suggests something objectively similar, challenges the idea that weak means worthless. Mumei vs. Ikoma is basically naive vs. classical cynicism and that's cool.

• Locked thread