Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Also the character designer for Orguss and Orguss O2, but nobody remembers those (even though they should, especially O2).

As for the show itself...I am enjoying it, all things considered, but with the clear mindset that this is popcorn entertainment. There are some good parts, which are neat ideas and interesting changes from Attack on Titan, but also some very silly things which will happen for the sake of moving the plot forward. As long as the general public can accept that's also going to be part of the equation, I think it'll be fine. Not a huge fan of Hiroyuki Sawano, so I could take or leave the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Well, that's one way to raise the stakes. Japan seems to have a thing for this type of threat.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Like I've said before, I've never expected this show to be smart and sophisticated. All of the stuff we're seeing is relatively standard for a zombie apocalypse and/or action-oriented anime setup. That said, I didn't feel this was a misstep. In fact, I was afraid they'd make Mumei far too overpowered and not come up with ways of making the Kabane threatening to her and Ikoma.

Folks may prefer to always see Mumei being cool and strong rather than showing any sign of self-doubt or vulnerability, but I actually didn't mind that at all. If I had to criticize that angle, I'd call it merely "predictable" rather than inherently "dumb" at the end of the day. Given Mumei's juvenile attitude and the fact she has been doing the whole "kill all the zombies" thing for an unspecified amount of time, most of the elements for something like that to happen were already on the table. We were just lacking a trigger that would make her careless enough.

I still wouldn't call her behavior during this episode "brilliant" or anything, but I think the hints they're revealing about her past made it easier to understand.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 13, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

So who wants to make any bets about just how evil Mumei's "brother" turns out to be?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Honestly, this is still a steampunk zombie story. Just one that is heading right into Resident Evil territory.

Which means there will be evil people using zombies and experimenting on them for their own evil ends and all that.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Would I have been impressed if they came up with a more complex villain? Of course.

But do I honestly think this show absolutely demanded that kind of antagonist? No, I don't.

The vast majority of zombie media is not exactly known for subtlety and sympathy in its villains.

All things considered, there isn't enough time to go the subtle route...nor is that the director's preference.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I didn't watch beyond the first episode of Guilty Crown because I hated basically everything about it except the quality of the art, so what does this mean?

I don't think it's all that accurate of a remark. Guilty Crown became worse every week and almost everyone was either boring or unbearable.

Kabaneri has plenty of ups and downs, but I don't feel like they're pulling quite as much stuff out of nowhere in comparison. It's easier to accept for what it is.

I think most of what is currently happening could be predicted based on previous information and isn't out of place for this particular genre. It's not like they were pretending Biba was this great fellow for real and suddenly turned him evil, nor did they fail to previously establish that Mumei was both immature as well as naively fond of him.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 10, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Really? As a matter of fact, I would say this week's episode was a comparative improvement over the previous one in several ways.

It's not going to please anyone who hates the direction the story is following, but I think it's good the show remembered the rest of the cast exists.

It also wasn't too bad that Ikoma actually tried to do something. Which wasn't going to be the solution, for obvious reasons, but it's a start.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 16, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

All things considered, this wasn't such a bad way to end things. Convenient, but not bad. They did leave lots of room for a sequel, though it's not strictly necessary.

Kabaneri confirmed for still being a dumb action show in the end, but at least it went back to the good side of the dumb spectrum. I guess that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

They are making compilation movies for this.

Rather strange, given the short series length, but they may want to increase their profits and improve some of the animation in the process.

Grouchio posted:

Still a far better deal then with what happened with Ultima IX, Wielder.

You're breaking my heart here.

• Locked thread