Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the best friend character is a total bro, you can see the thoughts going through his head, his initial doubting of his friend, then the guilt of abandoning him, then the resolve to redeem himself

also, rewatching it, the animation of the early part wasn't that bad, they just tidied up some scenes. if anything, the show looks like it was done by two different groups: one did more "modern" animation linework and shading, the other had much softer shading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ayame: owns

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also cool, they got an american guy as an engineer, i dont mind a bit of diversity in the side characters

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
When Ayame is on the ball, she is brilliant at making big dramatic gestures to inspire people around her. And this isn't empty inspiration, this is real self sacrifice to aid those different from you, with the faith that they will reciprocate. This is the big message of the show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically the government knows the secrets of the zombies, but are unwilling to let their weapons proliferate lest the population become independent and stop paying allegiance

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kanos posted:

Literally all of these things make perfect sense in the context of the setting.

• Train thugs want to kill the people who can protect them because they are now homeless refugees who just lost everything to terrible zombie monsters. Mumei and Ikoma are some sort of weird not really understood zombie monster hybrids that absolutely no one on the train had heard of existing before the day their town was attacked and everyone was murdered by zombies; lashing out at them is a way for the train thugs to feel like they're getting some manner of revenge against the Kabane while also protecting themselves, since they don't really have any idea or concept of what a Kabaneri is and as far as they're concerned Mumei and Ikoma are just delayed infection victims.
  • Ayame gives up the key to the other dude because of a combination of her being unsure if she's fit to lead because she's been thrust into this role incredibly suddenly and traumatically, and the fact that the general populace on the train are two steps short of rioting out of sheer terror and the rear end in a top hat Faction's plan will placate them.
  • People don't want to look at Ikoma's stuff because they don't trust Ikoma at all yet. He's a freaky zombie man and literally all of these people were just rendered homeless refugees and saw half their town eaten by freaky zombie men.
  • Ikoma went after Ayame because he desperately needed blood to even continue moving.
  • Mumei is a kid(she's supposedly like 12 or 13!) whose only purpose in life has been to kill Kabane and she just got shaken pretty badly at the thought of being tossed away like garbage if she stopped being useful for killing Kabane. Coupled with the fact that based on her smugness she's pretty obviously never run into a significant challenge before, it's easy to see why she'd be an arrogant rear end in a top hat here and get burned for it.
  • Ikoma had to choose between "100% for sure let Mumei die immediately and get the train free slightly faster" or "Save Mumei, get the train free slightly later". Even if Mumei hosed up real bad this ep, Ikoma is pretty clearly not the kind of person to spitefully let someone die because they're an rear end in a top hat. Hell, even if he were, letting Mumei bite the dust would be loving idiotic from a cold logic standpoint because she's a Kabane genocide machine. He had no real reason to suspect there would be a goddamn rockslide caused by the appearance of a giant corpse golem.

Context is really important for understanding why characters act the way they do and I haven't seen any really egregious "the way this character is acting makes no sense" problems.

quoting this because a significant portion of the audience seems to be incapable of mentally modelling the characters to understand their behaviours

like you can criticise most of the characters are huge stereotypes with all their cards on the table, but at least most of their actions are consistent

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
holy gently caress this ep totally owned

i also totally called the heart being something special as soon as mumei bought it up

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also im glad that people will stop saying that mumei is ikoma's sister when the whole point of that transition scene in the OP was to draw thematic parallels between the two

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

step aside ayame new best girl

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
my understanding is that the shogunate has been building up a corps of half-kabane supersoldiers, and mumei is being torn between that expectation of being a cool badass who flips off the squares, vs someone who cares for the team. its a super condensed character arc, but alot of people in this show have these condensed arcs and that minimised the amount of time i spent annoyed at mumei (80% of last episode)

i expect the shogunate to not care about ikoma's steam gun, but they will be very interested in how someone can become immune to kabane bites, so they're not forced to evade tank everything and mass produce kabaneri soldiers

like if there's a theme to this show, it's about the importance of human dignity even in the face of the zombie apocalypse, so i suspect the show is going to climax with ikoma and mumei trying to stop the shogunate from creating an army of kabaneri that would be used to suppress other humans

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I suppose the faster the train was going the less likely it was going to take damage from the momentum of the dead titan slamming into it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically ikoma is going to do something stupid and drive away mumei, then biba is going to do something morally horrendous and drive away mumei

i do think ikoma and biba can make good foils for one another, biba exists in a much more grey area, and has everything that ikoma desires

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
biba is one nasty guy

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ive had a thought about biba's endgame, and while he talks big about breaking all the walls, he's not planning on destroying every single walled station, because he still needs to resupply. instead, i think he wants to break the power of the shogunate, and switch society from a defensive posture, and usher in a total foreverwar. if that accelerates the extinction of humanity, so be it: humanity did not deserve to survive

in other words, this show is calling out attack on titan as the harbingers of fascism. the logical endgoal of the scouting legion's philosophy, once they've taken over, would be to devote all energies of society towards warfare. knk's story can do this because the military difference between humans and kabane is not as great as that between humans and titans. and unlike titan, knk can weigh the stakes against the status quo, because it spends alot of screentime on civilians, and how their interests are just as legitimate as that of the soldiers. kabaneri is trying to find some middle ground, some third way, between the stagnation of the nobility, and the nihilistic seduction of fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

.Clash posted:

I guess the writers not only saw Attack on Titan but Snowpiercer as well.

yeah this owned, especially how biba sniffed out the plot

also, what the gently caress is wrong with the ocean?

• Locked thread