Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Episode four was a real step up imo. It's all very by the book but they build tension in the right ways and then give us the payoff in terms of action and beautiful people staring into the sunrise. I wish Ayame taking back power had been a more realised scene but never mind.

Darth Walrus posted:

I 'unno, something about the messaging of this show just doesn't stick right for me. Particularly with what relentlessly stupid, evil strawmen the coup faction were. There's some masterful salesmanship going on here, but what's getting sold is making me more and more uncomfortable. I keep missing how charming, human, and generous Garo: Honoo no Kokuin, for instance, managed to make its gory dark fantasy.

I get what you're saying but if you're watching a 'humanity fighting for survival against Mindless Enemy' show you run a high risk of encountering photogenic nobles doing what is right, heroic soldiers killing things and dying to protect the weak, misunderstood Great (Wo)Men overcoming weasel politicians and conspirators who seek to undermine them from within etc etc etc. I had the same problem with Sidonia but fundamentally I think that's what this kind of fantasy is actually about.

That Garo was good but it's a slightly different beast since human society continues largely unruffled by the random horror atrocities. Kabaneri's mankind is fighting for survival and the show has been knee-deep in the samurai thing since episode one when people started committing ritual suicide as a matter of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
The titans are made out of Kabane!

... yeah, this was a pretty silly episode, both for the obvious reasons and for forcing Mumei's drama in a pretty hamfisted way.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

Context is really important for understanding why characters act the way they do and I haven't seen any really egregious "the way this character is acting makes no sense" problems.

I agree with this as far as it goes. Mumei becoming a loose cannon, in and of itself, makes perfect sense. She's a headstrong youngster defined by her physical prowess. You don't need any further explanations for her to do something stupid.

Unfortunately, they built to this by introducing a random uninteresting character we'll probably never see again to monologue about how Mumei will be abandoned by her brother and how associating with people is making her 'weak'. This is so paint-by-the-numbers shounen my eyes rolled into the back of my skull. Before this, we had a clunky scene to show she was getting along with people when they literally applaud her for beating people up; after, we have a clunky scene to show she's not getting along with people because she's a tactless rear end in a top hat. The traits leading to her interactions in those scenes are already clearly part of Mumei's character; I just wish they'd done them in a more subtle way and without introducing No Leg McSpy. It's not that the characters make no sense, it's that the writing is lousy.

I was pretty positive on this show prior to this episode but five really fell flat for me. I hope they pick it up in six.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

That episode did own, though.

It did. I still think the Fused Colony is the lamest but it was pretty great that our cool half-human protagonists got bailed out by the normies doing the right thing and everyone had to pull together to kill the boss. The whole 'run to the right to avoid derailment' was absurd but a perfect capstone to the episode.

• Locked thread