Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Mumei's new outfit looks like Son Goku's outfit, and I'm certain that's deliberate. It even has the sideburns.

The Devil Tesla posted:

also lmbo at "anime critical community"

Seriously, I remember when people looked down on critics with disdain and contempt, and now there are enough of them to have communities??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It doesn't look like Mumei is taking much of anything around her seriously, which is probably her way of coping with how miserable the world is.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Really, everyone's actions and attitudes so far are appropriate for their personalities and situation, with Mumei's apparent coolness being a result of her immaturity and everything about Ikoma being the result of the massive chip on his shoulder. I think some of you might be expecting way, way too much hard logic from a bunch of steampunk peasants trapped in a steel coffin.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Thank you, Kanos.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I hope Johnny Gaijin gets more screen time, if only to hear him talk.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I'm really glad that I'm the kind of person who sees the lack of realism in this anime as a plus.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
That scene with the infected girl and her mother blindsided me a little more than it should have, considering what kind of show this is, but still! :stonk:

The show hasn't painted Mumei as being anything other than a naive child, albeit an incredibly powerful one, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that she blindly trusted her brother's plans to be the 'right' thing and not include wholesale slaughter.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
How the hell do you watch the first episodes of this and think to yourself "I'm really looking forward to the subtle and subdued characters and dialog that this anime is definitely going to have"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
It's a good thing for Biba's men that the pretty one made the deal with Ayame. If it had been the rat'stached string bean that Ikoma killed on the tracks, she probably would have thrown them out.

NowonSA posted:

It'd be a hell of a gamechanger alone if he taught them that all you needed to do to stop becoming a Kabane is choke yourself to the point of dying, it might not work 100% of the time but that'd do a lot to assuage people's fears. Kind of the other side of the coin to how they reacted to him at first, instead of "he's a kabane kill him" it's "he looks like a kabane but he's sane and talking and fighting against them, wow this gives me hope if I'm bitten!" Imagine those suicide bags replaced with choke collars, and instead of always increasing the enemy's numbers you're making super soldiers on your side a healthy percentage of the time.

Taking that fear away from the general populace and giving them that kind of power would probably cause as many problems as it would solve for the country's rulers, so if the series did try to go in this direction, I imagine it would have to be done under their noses. It would also require everyone to start donating blood on a regular basis to keep their military fed, and that would be a whole new can of worms to open.

• Locked thread