Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Kanos posted:

Literally all of these things make perfect sense in the context of the setting.

Can you explain the steam powered bow-and-arrow, then?

This episode was much better than the last, but I still find myself getting annoyed by minor aspects of the setting, certain character actions, and the fact that everyone feels a pathological need to act like a badass and destroy potentially useful armor every time they want to go through a portal.

And yeah, even while I'm critical of the series, I thought Mumei's actions in this episode were realistic, even if they didn't necessarily "make sense" when looked at from a distant perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I enjoyed the episode well enough, but I would love to ask the person in charge of worldbuilding why they decided to suspend the railway precariously over the middle of the gorge, rather than across either of the perfectly flat pieces of land to either side.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Major Ricardo posted:

Why did they need more speed to begin with? Wasn't the plan to let the titan get close enough for their cannon to shoot it exposing the heart? It isn't like the speed helped them anyways other than to create Dramatic Tension

The way I justified that mentally was that the big zombie could match the speed of the train, but the smaller ones could not, so the traintop defense crew would be less likely to be overrun.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Trains going faster do more damage to themselves and others because of physics.

But... they were travelling AWAY from the fused colony, so relative velocity was reduced with their increased speed. Even if they were headed toward one another, given the difference in hardness between the majority of the zombies' bodies and the armor on the train, there might be a point, velocity-wise, at which more of the energy of the train passes through the zombies, as opposed to being directed at the specific site of collision, becoming more inelastic, like a heavy and slow bullet's penetration as opposed to a fast and light one's.

Physics is just generally weird in this show. We see all kinds of poo poo falling on the zombies and incapacitating them, and we see Mumei piercing them with a normal steel sword, but bushibro needs that special sword to pierce them, despite the explanation being the relative hardnesses of the zombies' heartcases and steel.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I liked Mumei somehow forcing the wooden mophandle through the Kabane's chestplate. Physics just keep getting weirder.

I have to say, though, I can't really stomach Biba. "I'll liberate you from your fears and your obligations and your body- I'll liberate you from everything" or whatever was way over the top.

At the same time, though, the episode had some really good moments that were entirely too brief. I really liked the idea that the Liberators were going to escape with the engineer and master key, leaving everyone from the Koutetsujyo almost literally up poo poo creek without a paddle. Hybrid colony and the different kinds of blood in that case are fascinating in a worldbuilding sense, but that's equally frustrating since I can't help but think that we'll never learn where they came from, at least in the show.

Also, my new favorite character is the guy who hits Ikoma with a stick every time he gets too full of himself.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

NowonSA posted:

Imagine those suicide bags replaced with choke collars, and instead of always increasing the enemy's numbers you're making super soldiers on your side a healthy percentage of the time.

It's implied that knowledge of Kabaneri is pretty widespread among the nobles already, though, and "Use a tourniquet so the toxin doesn't migrate" isn't really a difficult concept. And they covered the whole "panic and distrust destroys your city down to the last brick" angle as well as they're going to this season. In the end, the show basically needs to turn into a political thriller to justify the worldbuilding early on, but I'm not sure what more can be done on the political side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lurking Haro posted:

If Mumei didn't act so surprised, I would've said she injected it.
But yeah, after the Kabane giant collapsing and after killing Biba are the only times he could have gotten it and the first time Biba was taking pot shots at him.

Continuity :argh:

The only thing I can think of is Biba's suicide attack, where he stabbed Ikoma in the armpit with his halfsword, but I'm not sure how the injection side of it could possibly have worked.

• Locked thread