Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I like this show, even though i totaly don't get anything about that self-asphyxiation scene there. The entire time he was bolting a sex harness into his torso and choking himself on a noose, i thought "what is your end game here?", but i admired his dedication.

Also, heroism out of spite is my secret fetish.

He was applying a tourniquet to keep the infection from reaching his brain, operating on the theory that the plague only had a short window of opportunity to turn a human into a kabane. Luckily for him, he was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cicero posted:

Yeah it did at least on some level, there was the bit with the pipe that was hot to his friend's hand but he didn't even notice.

Also, those kabane were really going at him, even if their bites were no longer instadoom, and he just kept shrugging it off. Guy's tough.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Episode 3: Well, this sure is an Araki/Okouchi show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

How many teenagers who are good at teaching others do you know? How many of them are also vampires???

I heard (and correct me if I'm wrong here) that the official website said she's freakin' twelve. That might... uhh... explain a few things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elotana posted:

I can't stop snickering at Random American Word Guy

G-Reco did it better. :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I 'unno, something about the messaging of this show just doesn't stick right for me. Particularly with what relentlessly stupid, evil strawmen the coup faction were. There's some masterful salesmanship going on here, but what's getting sold is making me more and more uncomfortable. I keep missing how charming, human, and generous Garo: Honoo no Kokuin, for instance, managed to make its gory dark fantasy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Near as I can tell, it's a piledriver with a 'jacket' of superheated steam. It pierces and burns/melts at once.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You know, philosophically, I'm drawing a fair number of links here with Mahouka. Now, obviously, this one's done by pros, so it doesn't have the same spectacular failures of the writer's craft (Araki and Okouchi at least know how to create tension and provide consistent spectacle), but the stuff like talent going unacknowledged in a rigged system and the simultaneous distaste for treating people as nothing but weapons (Mumei's plight) and for 'weak' and 'useless' people (like the coup faction, and the cowardly, judgmental masses our heroes have to protect) feel very familiar.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

Seems like that would be a little short sighted considering a few kabane can wipe out a fortress in a day and the three fortresses we've seen are completely overrun.

Short-sighted, power-hungry politicians working to undermine their noble soldiers? In my zombie anime? Perish the thought.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

The bushi aren't that noble in this story. Maybe the president is secretly the head vampire.

I dunno, their courage has been valourised pretty heavily. Think about all those big dramatic suicides, and the princess's stick-in-the-mud bodyguard duelling the sword-Kabane. They definitely feel more like admirable people stuck in a bad system than the politicians we've seen. Them having cool weapons and getting involved in cool action scenes helps too - this show absolutely knows we're here for the steampunk zombie violence, and therefore the characters who provide it to us are inherently better than the characters who do not.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A 'guess the official age' game for the Kabaneri cast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/wit_studio/status/734171063391686656

Seems legit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Drythe posted:

Apparently train spergs should not watch this

Counterpoint: they should.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
OK, show, you've got a good thing going with Mumei as Ikoma's surrogate kid sister.

Don't make it weird.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Major Ricardo posted:

They managed to fit in Tanabata, so does that mean we will get the obligatory story set at the beach as well?

It won't be watermelons they'll be smashing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CryingAthena posted:

I'm seriously weirded out by how Mumei's skin tone is Extra Pink but Ikoma, as a fellow Kabaneri, has about three blue and green filters on his skin, especially in this episode. Why is that necessary, any ideas? :confused:

It's implied that they had different creation methods. Hence Ikoma's always-on harness and lack of a time limit. On the other hand, it might just be that he's a pasty nerd and she's a healthy kid who gets plenty of outdoor exercise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Ikoma still has a time limit, it just seems to be far less restrictive than Mumei's. He almost hit the end of it when he first got blood from Ayame.

I think there's two separate (though probably related) things going on there. All Kabaneri go into a frenzy if they don't get regular doses of blood. However, Mumei also gets sleepy after extended physical activity, which doesn't seem to be affected by how much blood she has, whereas Ikoma is basically a humanoid Energizer bunny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lars Blitzer posted:

A couple points I've noticed:

1) Mumei's training methods (or the lack thereof): It's been noted a few times that Kabane are excellent copiers and mimics, after all it's how the one with the two swords was such a threat. So it's most efficient for Ikoma to learn by osmosis essentially. See a move being made, then try it himself.

2) Mumei did also observe in Ep.8 that Ms. Nanny/surrogate Mother has her strengths (bartering like a motherfucker); they're just different from hers.

I look forward to Mumei assimilating deadly, cut-throat haggling.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

So who wants to make any bets about just how evil Mumei's "brother" turns out to be?

I'm thinking pretty much the same level of evil we saw this episode. As in, ruthless killer who's having way too much fun, but at least has a sob-story and an ideology.

Meanwhile, Ikoma was dumb this episode, but an order of magnitude less dumb than he could have been.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CryingAthena posted:

EGOIST has a track record for making great OP songs for anime shows and anime movies. :allears:

Guilty Crown's first OP was the best part of the show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that part of it is that zombies generally don't make good action series villains. They don't have personalities, you can't have meaningful character interplay with them, they're just endless grey hordes to be slaughtered en masse. That's less of a problem for a disaster/horror show, where the focus is on helpless characters surviving against a deadly, unknowable force of nature, but an action show is all about cool fights between relatively evenly-matched foes, and that means that there's an actual relationship between heroes and villains going on rather than just a bunch of people running and hiding in a hostile world. KNK mixed things up a little with the weapon-wielding kabane and the fused colonies to give its fights some spice, but eventually, they needed a foe who could do more than just howl and gurn at them if they wanted to give the whole affair some meaning and give the story some flavour and direction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I am still enjoying this show...for now. I have a feeling the inevitable flashback to events that supposedly explain biebasama's motivation to bring down the shogunate will be disappointing though.

I never really liked Mumei but she has become depressingly weak in the last two eps.

I'm assuming that he was either deliberately or accidentally abandoned during the fall of a station, and then went all Colonel Kurtz as he and his troops were cut off from civilisation for months or years. I guess the only remaining question is how much of a dick he was before that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

He went from subtle evil to cartoonishly evil to ridiculous insane fruitcake in the space of 10 minutes. Amazing.

Is this show only 12 episodes? I guess it makes sense it would speed up so much.

Welcome to Okouchi writing. Guy may not do subtle generally, but he especially doesn't do subtle villains. Biba was hyped up as bad news for a half-dozen episodes, and then turned out to be a Sephiroth-looking motherfucker with his own personal evil black doomtrain. No poo poo he was going to be basically Satan, just like Makoto (best character) from Guilty Crown and Cain from Valvrave.

That said, this has been a cut above his last couple of original series screenplays. Kabaneri is just brainless spectacle, while Guilty Crown and Valvrave dragged themselves down further with bizarre tonal shifts, creepy, reprehensible bullshit, and frequent, spirited attempts to make us utterly despise their main cast. This show may not be good, but it doesn't have much aggressive bad to distract from the flashy steampunk zombie-murder by its writer's recent standards.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Forgall posted:

Goddammit they killed off the best character.

Let's be honest, though, he was waving his 'walking corpse' banner harder than several of the actual zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'd just be worried that if there was a second season, they'd try to set up Mumei as Ikoma's love interest. Especially given how heavily paired off Ayame and Kurusu are. The writing in this cour was mostly just inoffensively bad summer-blockbuster fare without much that was seriously unpleasant, and I just don't trust Okouchi to keep that up over a longer period after the rest of his recent original works.

It does look like there might well be an S2, but this really does seem like a good place to stop off while the show's still fun.

• Locked thread