Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Do you mean that opinions cannot be false, or that it cannot be morally wrong to hold a particular opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Can beliefs be wrong? What is the relation between a belief and a corresponding opinion?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
If opinions can't be false, does that also mean they can't be true? And if so, then what are the sorts of things that can have truth values? Propositions maybe? And if I hold an opinion about a true proposition (Call it P) that it is false, then does it follow that it is neither true nor false that P is false? Or does that sort of thing not count as a genuine opinion? And if not, then what is a paradigmatic example of an opinion?

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

rudatron posted:

I appreciate that you're creating threads. Unfortunately opinions can be wrong, as in not true. But I guess you're half true, if you understand wrong as 'knowable untrue', since nothing can really be known about anything you can call an opinion, because facts require empiricism and observation, which cannot give perfect knowledge. Imho.

I tend to think that if an account of knowledge entails that we don't have any (or, more narrowly, that our best scientific efforts couldn't hope to produce it), that's pretty much a reductio ad absurdum for that account of knowledge.

If you're still uncomfortable calling the results of empirical science 'knowledge,' then let me propose that whenever our best attempts at applying the scientific method result in an accurate mind-to-world fit, call that mind-world-method relation 'schmawledge.' Then we can both be happy.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

If Not P, then Q

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

OniPanda posted:

Shameful. Draw out the entire truth table then try again

Are you just saying P -> (~P -> Q)? Because that's true, if somewhat boring, and my point was that I don't see the relevance.

But probably it's my fault for posting without irony in what is clearly a joke thread. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
Sorry I'm a jerk

• Locked thread