Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'll just leave this here:
https://community.pflag.org/document.doc?id=139

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sharkie posted:

Sorry about my poor reading comprehension, everyone. I'm glad it's fake but I didn't find it very amusing.:colbert:

Still, things like this do happen: http://www.advocate.com/business/2015/06/17/Detroit-woman-kicked-out-restaurant-bathroom-looking-man-sues

Hey I've been to that restaurant. Food isn't bad.

That other thing is Pure Michigan :smithicide:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Time to wake the cybernetic husk of the Winter Sherman.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Y'all act like getting bitchslapped by the Feds isn't going to feed their persecution narrative.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

That DOJ statement is why getting out and vote this year is so important. All that support goes bye bye in a Republican administration.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 10, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It was self evident from the moment the Obama administration actually started doing anything with LGBT issues.

Any liberal who sits out or votes third party this election is a traitor to the cause as far as I'm concerned. :commissar:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Thank you Joe Biden for floating out the "yeah we want to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell and also Gay Marriage is cool" balloon and the rest of the administration followed suit.

The sentiment was there, but Biden saying it directly was a big push for the movement in the administration.

Point still stands.

I don't really care what someone thought about SSM or DADT in the 90's or even 2008. I care what they think in 2016.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Can we agree that Loretta Lynch owns bones and Mayor McCheese is a disappointment to the fine state of North Carolina? I hate that he's my governor.

Yes

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Antarctica is not a country. It has no permanent human residents, although a number of countries have claimed regions of it as territory.

:thejoke:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Booourns posted:

Ah yes, children being raped, that great joke

gently caress off and take your bizarre vendetta with you

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hermetic posted:

I love that they were trying to make it sound like "trans people fear for their lives in bathrooms" was some big new revelation.

Makes me think of that Chapelle Show sketch where the white dude reads Jet on the toilet and says "Hmmm...Apparently the police are beating up colored people like hotcakes!"

For a great many people the idea of your gender being different than your sex is such a foreign concept that I would hazard to call it almost alien. So yeah folks need to be lead through the absolute basics.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I love the Free Press's URL.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I remember someone once asked me if I could take a pill to make me straight would I take it. For the longest time I would say yes but then I thought about it and realized I only felt that way because society treats LGBT people like poo poo. So now I say gently caress that noise because I like who I am.

Society needs to change, not trans people. So this whole medication conversation is a nonstarter.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

First GoFundMe I've given to.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sharkie posted:

Mass shooting at Orlando gay club Pulse, possible hostage situation feared. Ongoing situation so reports are sketchy.

According to their facebook it was Latin Night. I just hope everyone gets out ok without further loss of life.

https://www.facebook.com/pulseorlando/?ref=br_rs

I have really bad feeling about what motivated this.

e: 20 dead, 42 injured, FBI calling it a terror incident. gently caress :(

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 12, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Too late, we're already getting some incredibly bad op-eds! http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/13/opinion/the-scope-of-the-orlando-carnage.html

Jesus Christ.

Oh gently caress that guy.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Preach

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

That being said, nothing's going to happen. If we couldn't do anything after a bunch of innocent kids were murdered during school then we're certainly not going to do anything for a bunch of folks who "choose" to live a sinful lifestyle getting shot up at a sin den nightclub.

:smith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well it's not like someone being radicalized because all they hear about being gay is "pray harder and and it will go away" is unheard of.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cool excusing a discriminatory practice there duder :thumbsup:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I've been in a monogamous relationship for over 5 years. I was HIV tested six months ago. Why can't I donate blood?

Is AIDS going to spontaneously manifest in my human being body? :ohdear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'd still like to know the justification for me not donating blood.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

For the howevermanyth time, donating blood is not a right. The restriction is based on a statistical fact about HIV rates which I would much rather wasn't true, but my preference on the matter won't change whether it is or not, though with luck medical advances may, one day.

There is a difference between my demanding a right to which other people are entitled, where the right exists to better the circumstances of the right holder, on the basis that there is no even remotely academic reason why I should not have that right. And my saying that I should have the right to do something which is intended for the benefit of others, because I wish it to be for my benefit, while likely having little impact either way for the intended beneficiary.

Demanding the right to donate blood misunderstands the point of blood donation. It is not for the benefit of the donor. It seems absolutely incorrect to me to demand the right to do it on the basis that it's discriminatory not to let you do it. With just about every other commonly discussed issue it makes perfect sense. We should be able to marry, to adopt, to work and to speak and to do every other thing, the purpose of which is to enrich ourselves, those rights exist to promote the wellbeing of people and our people have as much right to be well as any other. But LGBT people have no more of a right to give blood than cis, hetero people do. Giving blood should be 100% contingent on the utility of that donation.

So again, yes the rules should be changed if there is a demonstrable medical benefit to do so, which I can understand in some cases. But absolutely not because of a perceived right to participate in blood donation, which absolutely nobody on earth should have. The entire concept just doesn't fit into the framework of civil rights.

Hey jackass no one is saying its a civil rights issue. It's just stupid that as someone who is low-risk for HIV that I'm forever barred from donating blood because I occasionally engage in consensual sex with my husband. A prohibition that magically disappears if I lie about it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reik posted:

How was Don't Ask Don't Tell viewed by the LGBT community when it was passed back in 1993? Was it seen as progress for LGBT rights?

Well it was certainly a better outcome than the witch hunts that came before. My dad (career Air Force) has told me stories about how in the 80's he took part in investigations where they would interrogate and threaten with all sorts of fun things including dishonorable discharges to people who they suspected of being gay to get them to confess and name names.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

And before someone gets it twisted, DADT was a horrible policy that deserved to go away. It was monstrous policy and a nightmare to serve under. Next week marks my 6th anniversary of getting out of the military and I'm still dealing with the emotional and mental scars.

That said it was the best possible outcome at the time.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

oh you're a Berniebro looking for sick :shillary: burns

well take it from an actual gay veteran DADT was a poo poo policy but it was better than witch hunts

edit: and the law was repealed and replaced with no restrictions. so it went aggressively seeking out and showing gays the door -> keep your mouth shut and everything will be "ok" -> full and open service

if you can't recognize that's a positive incremental situation I don't know what to tell you aside from don't forget to breathe

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 17, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm shocked that that known contrarian-poster and QCS superstar the insect court has taken up a contrarian position in a thread in D&D.

A position that coincidentally lets him be just a bit biased against gay people.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reik posted:

I'm sorry that instead of assuming how I felt was correct I decided to go ask people who actually went through DADT to discuss it with them before coming to any conclusions.

You loving got me, dude.

Don't get salty because you got caught fishing. :D

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reik posted:

Are all of your posts this terrible, or is this one just exceptionally bad?

it's good actually

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Control Volume posted:

After careful cross examination of this dudes posting and popular 4chan slang, Im proud to announce that reik is now officially lgbt

Maybe he and jivjov can form a support group :cabot:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

GlitchThief posted:

I stopped reading the last thread when every other page was people roleplaying how they would totally own Kim Davis in an argument. What ended up being the deal with jivjov?

I'm fuzzy on the details but basically

"what about the straights"

"lol no one gives a poo poo"

"i'm taking my ball and going home"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Note to straight people posting here in the future: Take note of the last few pages, and just don't mention that you're straight and you won't have bigots jumping down your throat at first opportunity.

Also please don't let this thread paint your picture of the lgbt community. It's underscored here but they are for the vast majority a lot of good, friendly people.

:what:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Octatonic posted:

That was a weird post that I don't understand, so I'd instead like to thank you for talking about DADT. It was good to read about, and I would enjoy hearing you expand more if you feel like it.

The Clintons fill me with mixed emotions for a lot of reasons, but in terms of LGBT stuff they seem to generally on the right side of history. Sometimes though, one of the other will make bafflingly tone-deaf statements. That thing where Hilary suggested that Nancy Reagan was involved in changing the conversation about AIDS at her funeral this spring really pissed me right the gently caress off. She later recanted, and I suppose it comes with the territory of being a minority, but it is incredibly frustrating nonetheless.

Not much to tell. The most insidious thing about DADT was that you couldn't talk to anyone in a official capacity -- not even a shrink. My supervisor noticed I was depressed/down in the dumps and made me go to the base shrink (who was a civilian). The very first thing this guy tells me is that there are like three things that he has to report to my commander: if I've attempted suicide, if I'm beating my wife/kids, or if I'm homosexual. So since I can't actually tell this dude what's bothering me, I made up some story about being stressed at work.

I was lucky in a way, I was older (early-20's), had been out before I enlisted so I was comfortable with who I was, and I had an extremely supportive family that was just a phone call away. Despite all that, it took a toll that (as I mentioned) I'm still trying to unpack. I said I'm lucky because I distinctly remember talking down some 18 year old kid via loving adam4adam who wanted to kill himself because he couldn't jive how he was feeling with his religious upbringing and the bullshit 'integrity first' mantra that's part of being indoctrinated into the service. I sure as hell wasn't equipped to deal with that but what the hell else was I supposed to do? This kid couldn't talk to anyone about how he was feeling without basically being kicked out of the service.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

The Insect Court posted:

I find the implication that the Obama FDA is filled with secretly bible-thumping homophobes to be a questionable one. Doubly so when there are perfectly sensible reasons arising from well-regarded mainstream statistical epidemiology as to why the deferral period should remain in place.

I'd say you're deliberately misrepresenting what other people are saying since I don't think anyone is saying that but that's your loving gimmick so whatever. So I'm sticking with my "oh look the insect court is being contrarian -- again" stance.

Just go away please.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 18, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm sure it's a coincidence :downs:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Megaspel posted:

You realize that your first sentence, you're pretty much describing yourself? Maybe not including the QCS superstar bit. I've seen you around being a bit of a dick, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but have some self-awareness about it.

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Megaspel posted:

You rely a lot on ad-hominem attacks I guess? Every time I see you shouting at someone I always want to side with the person you're attacking even if they're 100% in the wrong.

:nallears:

(I don't give a poo poo what you think)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Megaspel posted:

Yeah I thought so.

Would you tell me anyone's thoughts you actually give a poo poo about? Or am I going to be responded to by another low effort single smiley response?

No I won't because it doesn't matter. Here's some actual advice: if you're that insecure about your sexuality that a stranger telling another stranger to stop straightsplaining poo poo on an internet forum give you the vapors you need to focus on getting that in check because you'll crumble the first time you actually meet someone "offline" that has an issue with you and your sexual orientation.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 20, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Holy poo poo. A week ago, 49 people were murdered in cold blood in the worst mass shooting in American history and people are getting all bent out of sorts about an rear end in a top hat on the internet?

Stop making GBS threads up this thread and if you want to yell at me do it over PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hermetic posted:

Wow, that probation seems super fair and even-handed. :v:

So does N4I have pictures of you, AA...? Or is this more of a quid pro quo thing where you can be a massive shitheel in GIP with no repercussions?

I think it's because someone literally used the deaths of 50 LGBT people as a defense against their being called out for lovely behavior, and the moderators seem to be protecting them for it. The combination of lovely behavior and even shittier behavior would put a damper on any conversation.

Oh gently caress off. What I meant was that in a world where horrific poo poo is happening it seems a bit silly to get all spun up over someone not showing a straight man enough deference when they roll in and try to explain that Clinton was actually a bad guy because DADT and it's repeal wasn't a big deal. Or was it because I called insect court out on being a jackass over blood donations? I've lost the narrative thread of what horrible things I've done. I know that I dropped it and walked away because I was asked to but you seem incapable of letting it go. So again if you want to yell at me some more feel free to PM me or an admin about it.

• Locked thread