Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Except nobody is doing this, really. The question is why are gay men (and white gay men in particular) the only minority group where the bad behavior of a few individuals is used to blanket and denigrate the rest of the community?

Are Caitlyn Jenner's actions representative of the entire trans community? Does Tila Tequila represent the entire bisexual community? Do Ben Carson or Allen West represent the entirety of the black community? Does Phyllis Schlafly represent all women? Of course not and you would (rightly) be ridiculed if you made that claim. Yet that's what these think piece writers are doing to the gay community.

But there are people who blame an entire minority population for the actions of a few, or even the theoretical actions of a few. It's just not your social circle, I'd reckon.

#BLM - how many people are angry at blacks for bringing up race when clearly racism is over. Calling BLM a terrorist group. Saying the insight violence against the police. "Why can't they shut and and be one of the good ones." Every time Al Sharpton opens his mouth there are a bunch of white folks saying he's riling up the black folks for no reason. They don't stop to think, "you know how I can listen to someone and hear what they say and then disagree and not do what they say? Guess what! black people can do that too! They're people just like us!"
Trump's immigration policy blames every single immigrant for issues that aren't even real.
And, yes, the trans community gets poo poo on because some cis dude pretended to be trans to gain access to a women's only space and then tell everyone all the horrible things he could have done if he was really trans.
gently caress, women are still blamed for getting pregnant, told they have to deal with the consequences but it takes two people to make a baby. Women's sexuality is much more highly scrutinized than a mans.

And, since I'm transgender I saw this, Caitlyn Jenner was looked upon as a voice for the trans community. She didn't want that job and was surprised when it happened, but it did. Thankfully, she's shifted out of the limelight, but yes, people looked to her to know what trans people are like. That seems to be Laverne Cox's job now and she's happy to have it.

The only group I know that gets a pass, where one does not equal all, is straight, white, cisgender, men who are the right kind of Christian. And that's because of the stranglehold old school religion has on our government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I misspoke (typed?) but my point remains roughly aligned Control Volume's that it has some become acceptable for "progressives" to denigrate gay men specifically based on the actions of a few members of the community. This standard is (correctly) not held to other minority groups.

Let me use the same logic you are using only going the other way.
I haven't seen nor have a read what you are talking about, therefore it does not exist and you are wrong. Gay men are not being singled out at all by so-called progressives. Maybe use different news sources?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Control Volume posted:

There are problems, problems that I have personally seen and take steps against when I'm out, but there's a world of difference between someone saying "These are the problems with the gay community" and "This IS the gay community."

Again, I haven't seen or experienced this so it does not exist.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I'm making their point. If they don't personally know about it, then it doesn't exist.

It's not possible that they are, perhaps, hyper-attuned to public attitudes of gay men and not so much about say, transgender women of color? So, they see what they look for.

Confirmation Bias, basically.

I'm not a gay man so I don't really care about how gay men are perceived so I don't look for it or notice it, therefore, in my perception of reality, it does not exist.

Only it does. I'm just blind to it, like a white gay man might be blind to attitudes of people who aren't like them.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Let me be like you.

I don't care because transgender women are still being murdered for just being transgender. There were two transgender woman murdered in the first week of 2017, alone.

there wolf posted:

How do you read an article specifically about white gay men and come to the conclusion it's about the whole community?

I'm sorry someone compared you to Milo and it hurt your feelings, but you haven't given any indication that the FYGM attitude Milo represents isn't a problem among white gay men. And either being ignorant of or ignoring that this exact same criticism has been coming from the other letters in the acronym for years now isn't helping.

Oh my God. I didn't even see this before. So he thinks of White Gay Men as the entire LGBT community and doesn't understand his own Confirmation Bias? Wow.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Genocyber posted:

Please don't play oppression Olympics, no one wins that competition.

Except ESL, poor, heterosexual, disabled, pre-op transgender, women of color who are also suffering from mental illness. They'd win, I'm pretty sure.

I know that I am extremely privileged and I am thankful and mindful of that. I'm white and middle-class (barely), thank God, and, as a trans woman, I pass as a fat, unattractive middle-aged woman. I can easily avoid being oppressed by shutting up and sitting in the shadows and I often do just that.
I know how lucky I am.

Now that everyone is finished proving a point, maybe we can get back to real news?

Like any of the many things listed here: https://www.aclu.org/other/legislation-affecting-lgbt-rights-across-country?redirect=LGBTbills

Like this poo poo:

quote:

Bills Pre-Empting Local Protections

These bills prevent cities and other local government entities from passing nondiscrimination protections that are more expansive than the protections offered at the state level, including protections for LGBT people.

MO HB 202 1/4/2017: Introduced
SC H 3012 1/10/2017: Introducd
TX SB 6 1/5/2017: Introduced
TX SB 92 11/14/2016: Prefiled
VA HB 385 1/11/2017: Active
VA HB 1667 1/5/2017: Introduced
VA HB 2011 1/10/2017: Introduced

City and County rights end where State's Rights begin but State's Rights preempt Federal government.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

joat mon posted:

Debate & Discussion › QUILTBAG - "It's pronounced 'Circular Firing Squad,' you phoneto-opressor!"

This is why we keep losing. No unified front, but we all know that and it is always someone else's fault, not mine, because I'm better than that.

Edit: part of this is sarcasm. I'll leave you to decide which.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Eimi posted:

I'm stuck working. So when they come for me I'll be too exhausted. Probably part of their insidious plot. Wish I could take tomorrow off to panic watch but I can't. Maybe I'll do something stupid like buying myself some alcohol. :smith:

My anxiety is getting worse and worse every day. Maybe I'll masturbate, watch CW dramadies, and eat a bunch of chocolate. Not at the same time, though. That would be weird.

I've said more than once to my wife that I really wish I could get drunk right about now. But alcohol interacts with a couple of my meds so that's right out.

Is there like a support group forum for people who have no idea how to handle the entire government being run by people who hate that you exist? I honestly don't know how I am going to make it four years without my heart exploding.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mr. Nice! posted:

On the manning thing, it was accidental and I corrected it before it could even come up with an edit notice. Manning's trans status has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that they were throwing a temper tantrum like a child (and had been disciplined previously for such tantrums) and the mass dumping of intelligence documents, diplomatic cables, etc is not whistleblowing. It was a temper tantrum thrown by someone unhappy they were doing a job they volunteered to do.

Do you really want to get into that debate in this forum? Chelsea was suffering from gender dysphoria and it was wrecking her life, yes that is true. But she considered what she was doing her patriotic duty, to expose to the rest of the country and the world that the United States was violating the very ideals it claims to uphold. Who'd believe the scope of it the audacity of it, without proof?

Anyway, she wasn't pardoned. The decision was made that the time she's spent, much of it in solitary confinement and suicide watch, has been sufficient punishment for her crime. It doesn't matter what you call it at this point except for the paperwork.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mr. Nice! posted:

Whistleblowing is calling out a specific item and reporting it to an independent body (such as the inspector general, congress, the US press, etc).

It is not downloading everything classifiec you can willy nilly and giving it all to a russian stooge.

WikiLeaks was not the controversial powerhouse it seems to be today. It was still new and tentatively respected. It wasn't yet evident how much of a narcissistic creep Assange is.

And when you try to use the chain of command and they tell you to shut up and sit down, you have no choice but to go outside.

And, as I said, it doesn't matter what we call it now. The President decided that she's served enough of her sentence. The debt will have been paid.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

mandatory lesbian posted:

hetero privilege is having to explain to cis-female partners that no i'm not gonna dump them to suck some dick out the blue

homo privilege is having to explain that "no, I'm with you because I want to be not because I'm waiting for the right opposite sex person to come along so I can dump you for a more widely socially acceptable relationship."

bi-people aren't trusted by hetero or homo because hetero and homo don't understand why we can't just "pick a side" and stick with it or that not picking a side doesn't mean you can't be faithful to the person you are with. We are always lusting after the gender we are not currently with, even though we are with them because we want to be, according to insecure partners.
Being bi is a foreign concept that they cannot fully grasp.

Edit: granted, I couldn't even admit out loud that I was bisexual until last year and I've been married for almost 20 years so our relationship is mature enough that we can both point out who's hot and who's not and not feel threatened. If I'd been openly bisexual at the beginning, we probably would have had problems. Instead it was repressed and I just discounted "those" relationships as dalliances and mistakes, hormones and actual feeling be damned.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 19, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
You only have hetero privilege is nobody knows you are bi. So, if you are in the closet, you are golden. Just like a homosexual person in the closet.
So, not like having privilege at all.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wow.

Edit: like, gently caress me, wow. Not even a pretense of support. The wife told me last night, "don't worry; what's going to happen is going to happen whether you worry about it or not" but fuuuuuuuuck me.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 20, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

fishmech posted:

Sorry buddy, pistols are only good for committing suicide, and that's why you should never recommend them to people especially for "self-defense". Especially to a demographic of people already much more likely to attempt suicide due to ongoing oppression and harassment from society.

This is a true statement. I'm an American from a hunting family. Rifles and shotguns rule, pistols drool.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Meanwhile when someone decides I'm definitely peeping because I'm 6'4" and they saw the top of my head over the stall harsher laws mean that I'm going to get hosed over harder until I can get a lawyer to sort it out in court.

Just another dog whistle. Like anti-"sodomy" laws magically only applying to homosexual men. It gives them a hammer to beat over the head of those they hate while providing plausible deniability when they choose to not use it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pollyanna posted:

Ivanka and Kushner have no impact on policy and even if they did, they only care about finance. They're not gonna help us. We're ruled by Sessions and Bannon now.

Any LGBT friends they have are probably wealthy enough to weather the storm without explicit legal protections.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gorilla Salad posted:

"As I do not personally require these protections, obviously they are not really needed, thus no one should have them."

- Wealthy gay men and straight white women.

More like "I do not personally experience any hardships, therefore nobody does and if they claim that they do they are lying and scheming."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MaxxBot posted:

Why would a white gay man be more racist than a white lesbian, or more transphobic than a black gay man?

If you use intersectionality to calculate their oppression score, you'll see that white lesbians are a 4.2 (down three points from just a year ago), black gay men are a 8.9, but white gay men are only a 2.3.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Keeshhound posted:

I just think it's really hypocritical for someone to complain about white people being racist and then in the same breath admit to making character judgements about people based on nothing more than their skin color.

Wow.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I still cannot fathom a possible reason for Facebook to block someone from blocking someone. That makes no sense. So, somebody can no longer view a bunch of other people's profiles. So, what? Someone please provide a legitimate reason for this algorithm to exist that isn't grasping at straws.

Also, I 100% had privilege when I was in the closet about being transgender and about being bisexual. I also hated myself and wanted to die. It was not worth it just be accepted as "normal" everywhere.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Eimi posted:

I'd never heard of her either. I guess I should be glad I avoided Facebook til like the last year. gently caress those lovely non blocking algorithm that's very hosed.

She's been a thorn for years. Consider yourself lucky, but living under a rock.

Look her up on RationalWiki for a decent summary. I'm not posting her name because she has tools that search for mentions of her so she can find new people to harass.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Keeshhound posted:

Then they'll just start advertising funeral services to your loved ones.

This. But unironically. I know people who already get "remember this day" when the old posts are them talking about someone who died that they'd rather not be reminded about.

Remember how hard it was to get Facebook to bend at all for the real name policy which was putting trans lives in danger.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cis autodrag posted:

facebook doesn't let me delete other peoples' uploaded photos of me so every birthday i get a montage of pre-transition pictures i don't want to see with a "aren't these happy memories" message. i bet most of my friends get them on random occasions too (they send out friend-aversary videos and poo poo). thanks facebook.

Christ. That's rough. I'm lucky that I was almost always the person taking pictures so there aren't too many of me. I didn't really like having my picture taken to be honest, didn't know how to smile for real. At least now I know why it felt so wrong to memorialize who I was pretending to be for so long.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Trans woman Ce Ce Williams went to prison for defending herself (with a pair of scissors), FYI.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cis autodrag posted:

There are some rights and causes that unify us, but when you're talking about personal safety issues and public approval issues, the trans community has a long, long way to go to stack up with cute white gay dads in the JC Penney catalog or whatever.

Also, the most visible trans women are those who "pass" like Laverne Cox. Being able to go stealth is a luxury many trans women don't have. Hell, cis women who don't look feminine enough get harassed for being transgender.

Trans women who don't "pass" are relegated to the shadows. We don't want them out front for selfish reasons. They'll give the other side ammunition to use in memes and Facebook posts (Is this what you want next to your daughters?) only it will be real not made up propaganda. I hate it and it is so very wrong, but I'm also very conflicted. I want people to accept that trans women and cis women are both women.
You want to know what's really sad? I'm a trans woman and I pass as a dumpy, homely middle-aged woman. I really don't want to hang out with other transgender women because I don't want anyone to know I'm transgender other than my family, friends, and doctors. My wife and I are treated as a same-sex couple by everybody and it's perfect. Why mess it up with something as political as being transgender? I really want to know because I know I'm not alone. People who have privilege are loathe to step outside their comfort zone and risk giving it up.

And, as always, trans men don't exist.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Agnosticnixie posted:

About the "why white gays" argument 2 pages back; transphobic cis minority queers (and non-queers) get just as annoyingly defensive at the implication that they're transphobic. And if I had a dollar for every non-white (or even specifically non-anglo) transphobe who justifies it with "you wouldn't see trannies in MY culture/ethnic group/country of origin" or some poo poo, I'd probably be able to pay for srs in loonies.

Basically it's possible to be a shithead towards groups outside your own minority group and still be a minority. There's good reasons to treat white gay dudes with suspicion, but singling them out for transphobia is pretty lol.

There are transphobic people who are transgender, especially if they "pass" really well. It's everywhere right now to be honest.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Thalantos posted:

Except now people are up in arms about trans folk in restrooms.

We just ended up with a larger target on our backs.

Just be like me and rarely leave the house.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Megaspel posted:

For real anyone who knows anything about computer security knows that the existence of voting machines is a total loving travesty. You can hack them very easily, and you don't even have to be Russian or anything. Electronic voting needs to be banned globally and permanently, because there simply is no secure method of electronic voting, period.

At least they aren't connected to the Internet like some have proposed.
At least every state has their own cobbled together standard so that you have to use different tactics to compromise each state.

They are old and busted enough that you often have to be physically present to compromise them.

Small favors in being luddites.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Remember that "it gets better campaign?"
No, it doesn't. We need a video campaign urging people to stand up for their rights because it does not "get better" without voices being heard and action being taken, and even then, it's still so difficult and unrewarding and actually dangerous that I break down in tears just thinking about what queer kids are going through.
At least when I was a kid, it was all so closeted that I didn't even know enough to be ashamed until I was legally an adult. Now, you have the Internet giving you hope on one hand and taking it away on the other. Adults going after children to further an agenda without a true care in the world for how it hurts them because, as far as they see it, it is for their own good.
"It gets better." Look at Russia, Uganda, and now the Trump administration (I think Trump gives no fucks, but everybody else has an agenda and it includes making us not exist).
That's the thing. Tennessee is wanting to say kids have to go to the bathroom of the gender on their birth certificate. At the same time that Tennessee as explicit exclusions from changing gender on birth certificates for anything that has to do with being transgender. They want us to not exist.
I am not ashamed, but I am terrified.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cis autodrag posted:

i think in this case he meant that they are referring to those hedonistic gays who spend their lives in a continuous orgy of hot man sex that is totally and absolutely occurring on a larger scale and not at all made up in well-to-do white people's heads.

I know there has been a downward trend for heterosexual teen and young adults having lots of sex. Are there any reliable number for homosexual or bisexuals?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Thanks, Prester Jane, terrifying as always. Do you have a ACE thread to dig deeper into this? It goes way beyond breaking queer folks and into general mind control territory.
Like, I know talking about it painful since you survived it, but a full D&D thread would be informative and would help spread the word to the literally dozens of readers SA still has.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Guavanaut posted:

Regardless of whether I agreed with the content or not I see no reason why it even belongs in a chemistry quiz.

I went to a school named after a saint, located right next to a church where many of the faculty and kids attended, and they still managed to keep all of that to the half hour religious studies class and not let it gently caress about with chemistry or history or math.

I guess that's the difference between 'school which happens to be Christian' and 'Christian Education'. Ugh.

I went to a literal private Christian school as a kid, chorus and chapel every day, and even they didn't do this.
I only went there through 4th grade, but I was not taught to blindly trust authority figures. We had the same material that secular schools had only we went through it, on average, a year earlier.
This ACE stuff is an abomination.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cis autodrag posted:

I would never write down anything related to my gender on a piece of paper in Alabama regardless of context. Plenty of trans people have been murdered by bigoted clinical staff who saw information they didn't need to see. It's an issue we're struggling with mightily in how to properly store gender information in our EMR.

More about this please. I have not heard of clinical staff attacking transgender people. I know of medical professionals who disapprove and disapprove loudly, but none that have resorted to violence.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Senju Kannon posted:

there have been a number of cases of trans women and trans men being neglected by medical professionals, who refuse to treat them, even in emergency situations. leslie feinberg wrote about a doctor who refused treatment, instead opting to moralize, which almost killed feinberg. i remember reading about a black trans woman who was in a car accident, and when the emt cut her pants to try and stop her bleeding he said "that's not a woman, that's a friend of the family" and left her to die as onlookers begged him to help her. i think the trans day of remembrance website has a compilation of some of these deaths, but it is the case that trans people hae been neglected by medical professionals and have died as a result

That makes more sense.

Transgender Day of Remembrance site https://tdor.info/

Holy poo poo that site is more depressing that I expected.

quote:

Luana Biersack (14 years old)
Cause of death: sexually assaulted, beaten, and drowned..
Location of death: Novo Itacolomi, Paraná, Brazil
Date of death: April 13th, 2016

quote:

unidentified woman
Cause of death: unknown, dismembered
Location of death: Brazil
Date of death: March 10th, 2016

quote:

Erika W.P. de Arruda (30 years old)
Cause of death: gunshot wounds to neck and groin
Location of death: Cuiabá, Mato Grosso, Brazil
Date of death: August 25th, 2016

quote:

Natascha (37 years old)
Cause of death: set on fire.
Location of death: Tarumã, São Paulo, Brazil
Date of death: February 24th, 2016

quote:

Raina Aliev (25 years old)
Cause of death: dismembered
Location of death: Dagestan
Date of death: October 2016

quote:

Amphon Kongsong (28 years old)
Cause of death: strangled, body stuffed in bed frame.
Location of death: Pattaya, Thailand
Date of death: August 20th, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Days like this I wish I drank and fully understand why many people do.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
This being D&D, I don't want to just post a bunch of angry crap (which I certainly can and have). So I will ask some questions.

Did anyone believe Trump when he said he was going to be a great friend to LGBT?

Did anyone believe that he felt anything other than indifference for LGBT?

Is anyone surprised that he throws transgender people under the bus to score some political points because his party is revolting?

What are the chances that the military will stand up to Trump and tell him that actually, transgender people in the military aren't a big deal and they are cool with it?

I'm transgender and have a job where I was allowed to transition, even supported by my co-workers. It wasn't required by law and I could have been fired over it since I work for a company in an at-will state. I am incredibly fortunate to have been where I was when I was. So many transgender people are abandoned by family and friends and lose everything. Joining the military is a chance to take back their life and finally feel like a real person, not a shadow, not a caricature. Taking that away will not help anyone and it will absolutely cause the deaths of more transgender people.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
As a troon, I have learned to avoid any Trans thread due to the trolling, doxxing, and some honest questions that get treated like trolls.
The final straw was the child rape apologia.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Someone started taking about a prisoner who was being mistreated because she was transgender.
It was eventually revealed that she was in prison for dressing small boys is girls clothes and molesting them and taking video.
Devolved pretty quickly after that because there were people on both sides.
On both sides. Of that.
I never looked back.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mr. Nice! posted:

Gay people are still definitely not widely accepted across the country even by family. A friend of mine is a young man that moved a couple of years ago from N Florida to Atlanta. I never knew why he ran away, but I didn't question. Then saturday morning I wake up and there's a barrage of posts from his father talking mad poo poo about "if you're my blood and gay stay the gently caress away from me" and "it's about being a man and you're not a man if you're sucking dick" type things.

After I wrote my dad a letter about my being transgender, he openly wept and worried that the divorce when I was 7 was the cause. He's Southern Baptist. Now that half of the family will have me over and treat me like a normal person but they don't call me by name and they don't call me by any pronoun. We also never, ever talk about LGBT anything and never mention that I am a woman and not a man.
As much as that hurts, I know it could be so much worse.

My therapist says I should stop assuming everyone I meet is a terrible person only pretending to be civil. It's bad for my mental health. She told me that most people are actually quite nice and want to feel helpful. How do you turn that around? How do you look at all the hatred and see the good in people? I'm a cynic. I've lost faith in God and in humanity. I trust no one and see mankind as greedy and selfish at its core, myself included. I say "I don't care what people say behind my back as long as they are kind to my face" but then assume they talk poo poo when I'm not around.
I'm not alone. Definitely not since last November. Where do you find hope in this climate?

Fake edit: as an aside, I lived half my life in the South. My former step-dad told me, when I was a teenager, that'd rather me be gay than in a bi-racial relationship. Racism!
Real edit: my current step-dad says he doesn't understand what I am or even approve of it, but I'm a happier, better person since the transition and that he can approve of without question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
It took three years of gentle pressure to get my company to stop offering only health insurance to employees that explicitly forbade any treatment related to being transgender. 2016 was the first year and they only did it because the law firm they share a building with started offering inclusive insurance and they didn't want to look bad. I worry that they'll drop it again for 2017 thanks to the political climate.
Oddly enough, they've offered same-sex partners the the benefits of married couples for more than a decade.
Diversity and acceptance only goes so far. The first official question I was asked at work is "what bathroom do you plan to use?"
My boss has been super supportive the entire time because I do better work now.

Trans be weird, I guess.

Even after five years, I've only worn a skirt once (to a wedding) and never worn a dress due to the "man-in-a-dress" trope. I just cannot do it.

And, apparently, I pass pretty well. People assume I'm a cis woman. And I do not correct them. Why would I?

• Locked thread