Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

So on Monday a federal judge is gonna respond with "Yes, we literally can"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, TERFs are human garbage piles. Like someone already said you fuckin expect Huckabee and all to be regressive idiots because Jesus Hates Everyone But Me, This I Know, but TERFs pretend to be actual progressives. Like, you can find yourself bamboozled by a TERF.

"Oh hey this lady is making some really good points about this feminist issue, awesome. She seems like a smart person, let's see what else she's written."

"TRANS PEOPLE ARE ALL RAPISTS AND PART OF A CONSPIRACY TO ENSLAVE WOMEN"

"gently caress! TERF'd again!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I remember someone once asked me if I could take a pill to make me straight would I take it. For the longest time I would say yes but then I thought about it and realized I only felt that way because society treats LGBT people like poo poo. So now I say gently caress that noise because I like who I am.

Society needs to change, not trans people. So this whole medication conversation is a nonstarter.

Pretty much the path I took on these kinda questions. When you realize 'wait I'm saying yes not because I dislike being gay, but because I dislike how others treat me because of being gay' that's a pretty big 'well gently caress' moment that makes you examine some things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

come on man just call Kara to save her and...oh right this is somehow a real thing that really happens to human beings in a developed country and not a plot from Supergirl, well gently caress the world I guess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megaspel posted:

In regards to the pill that would erase transgenderism/gayness whatever. The topic was already discussed and completely solved forever in the hit movie "X-Men The Last Stand™". Please use "X-Men The Last Stand™" for all future reference for any debate and/or discussion centred around a pill that cures people of being different.

All I can think about is that terrible scene when Rogue, the mutant who literally cannot touch another living being or she will drain their life force away, says 'yea you know, may wanna go in on that cure, it'd be pretty awesome to touch another human being once in my life'. Then Storm, the literal queen/goddess from her country with lightning powers that do nothing but make her more of a badass says 'hey, we're perfect as we are'.

Like, I love X-Men but when you get past the absolute most base levels of comparisons the whole 'they're kinda like ANOTHER minority that has to live in the shadows, huh?' kinda goes out the window. Like, I drain my partners souls away through prolonged contact because I'm a terrible human being, not because I'm gay, thank you :colbert:

ed: god drat I love that wordfilter

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Fittingly enough the best 'x-men more like THE STRUGGLES OF GAY YOUTH' stuff has actually been around Iceman, mostly because a lot of it was lowkey enough so when he came out there were some genuinely solid articles countering the whole 'oh you just randomly did it for PC poo poo' with some genuinely solid cases. Like, since the old comics he's had issues with 'disappointing' his parents especially his dad, most of his relationships with women are friendly rather than romantic, one of his big romances is with an alien that switches gender around because it's made of like...fog I think?

See, he works just fine because 'ice poo poo' is a cool power that has both ups and downs and all, so it's reasonable for him to be all mutant and proud while still having issues! Using Rogue as the stand in was just kinda hamfisted and terrible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So uh, speaking of the pray the gay away camp...has anyone actually looked into Heartlight Ministries? The literal only mention of them being 'pray the gay away' is in this recent story, its main services seem to be rehab, like actual drug rehab and poo poo. There's literally zero record of anyone talking about them being gay conversion until 3 days ago unless I'm really missing something? The most I can see is their founder has made some silly 'we should love gay people but it's totes a choice guys and it's trendy to be gay now anyway' kinda statements which sucks but I'm not seeing, say, Exodus poo poo.

They even make it super clear they don't actually require church attendance or anything. I know no poo poo they can be lying but you'd think a gay cure place would, ya know, advertise 'yea we fix those poor confused babies' like everyone else does

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That seems like a weird brush to tar the literal concept of rehab for people under 18 with. I've had friends who went to 'juvenile rehab' places for stuff like 'I'm 14 and addicted to pills, my parents think it'd be cool if I didn't OD before I was even an adult' stuff. There's...actually a pretty huge gap between the two concepts! I'm not saying there's zero way there's anything wrong with anything these dudes do but either they were the most stealth gay conversion camp of the lot of them or there's some other factors involved.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
weird, the guy who shot a major gay club up during pride week was a homophobe? I dunno he's got a funny name, pretty sure this is an elaborate ISIS plot. You know what they say at terrorist camp, strike the gays and the nation crumbles...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

They'd have a hell of a time managing that with the weather we had throughout the conference. Let alone the convention center security.

God Hates TERFs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I know I'm probably just kneejerking, but... I'm not the only one who wants loving vengeance for this poo poo, right?

e: like, gun laws will put a band-aid on the problem, but they won't cure the societal sickness at the root of things like this. We need Stonewall all over again, times a hundred. We need to make it goddamn clear that we're not going to let ourselves be easy targets.

well he's dead so who are you gonna get vengeance on?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

what do you think I was saying with this sentence, because the intended meaning is "next time anything remotely similar to this happens, we start beating the gently caress out of straight cis people, regardless of race or religion." or poo poo, don't even wait for a next time, do it now.

I'm not buying the radical-Islam explanation, this is just straight-up homophobia at work. and as long as we're viewed as weak by these types, this'll keep happening. so we need to get better at their game than they are.

(again, I'm probably kneejerking. I literally just got out of bed and saw this poo poo. but I'm angry as all hell about it.)

"We start beating the gently caress out of straight cis people" wasn't Stonewall, and how dare you invoke that while literally supporting the loving crazy strawperson that revisionists have tried to pretend it was. Stonewall's anger was directed at the people, you know, actively going into their clubs and poo poo. Like, maybe use this anger to actually get involved instead of pining for the gay civil war which spoiler alert we'd lose p. bad. Like, fuckin hell man black people can't even have a protest saying 'maybe stop murdering us so bad' without tear gas and police rear end beatings, you think we can just decide it's the fuckin hetro Purge?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we were all 13 once and thought Judge Dredd was the hero

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a foolish pianist posted:

That columnist guy was the first out gay dude to be an op-ed NYT columnist, too. :(

Yea but Bruni was also the first NYT op-ed guy to actually just be a machine that spits out banality and random articles about Italy in alternating patterns, and frankly that's a bigger accomplishment.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Tune in for Bruni's next hot takes. Obama, he's pretty cool, and then two articles about how Italy is a neat place you guys you should check it out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea unless the next part of that post is 'and I have a disease from it' then there's zero ethical reason to go along with the bullshit regulation especially in this context. I'm out and proud and all that poo poo but when I donate blood suddenly I love pussy, weirdest thing, must be that whole sexuality spectrum thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Keeshhound posted:

Figures. As much as both ABC and ARC whine about not having enough blood, you'd think they'd be more receptive to changing their guidelines to just asking people if they'd engaged in unsafe sex in the last year. :sigh:

to be fair last I checked both of them 100% were in the camp of 'these rules are loving stupid'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If the gay blood ban is so important and not bigoted, then do you feel Florida just potentially killed god knows how many people by temporarily dismissing it in the wake of the shooting?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Don't stand in the way of my right to a sugar cookie and a sticker you motherfucker

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

The "abundance of caution" argument is a stupid one, but it's not a moral judgement.

in this context it absolutely is unless Owl also wants black people to not give blood.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EXAKT Science posted:

I had no idea that Latinx people can't be gay. This changes EVERYTHING

you get ONE minority, ONE! It was Latinx night, so it's not a gay bar!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Combed Thunderclap posted:

LO-loving-L. Yeah, and all the drag shows were just for the "young people". (I say this seriously, a number of well-known drag queens made Pulse their home, performed there, or had friends in the club and have been deeply impacted by the Orlando shooting.)

yea wasn't Kenya Michaels doing a show there on the night it went down?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

Is "Latinx" really a thing? Just say "Latin@" if you want to cover both possible endings.

Latinx is meant to include not just 'latino' and 'latina' but nonbinary/etc people too.

Also Latin@ sounds like the name a terrible Latina DJ would have

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

I suppose it does. How would a non-binary Latin person be referred to in spoken conversation? Is there an ending, apart from o/a that would be used in that case?

Probably exactly as you just did, Latin person, or like, 'from (wherever they're actually from)' or something. I've heard people say 'latin-ex' out loud and it sounds fine but I have no clue if that's a 'thing' or just something they do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

Makes sense. I meant how would they be referred to and/or refer to themselves in Spanish more than in English, since there's no non-gendered way of saying Latin in Spanish.

ah, yea no clue there, yea foreign languages can be tricky for that stuff, hard to express 'nonbinary' when the fuckin chair's a lady apparently.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^This is horrible and I'm so sorry for anyone caught up in that but this is the funniest loving story about government sanctioned bigotry I've heard in a while.

"WE HAVE TO FIND THIS DORTHY LADY ALL THESE HOMOS ARE FRIENDS WITH"

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

And before someone gets it twisted, DADT was a horrible policy that deserved to go away. It was monstrous policy and a nightmare to serve under. Next week marks my 6th anniversary of getting out of the military and I'm still dealing with the emotional and mental scars.

That said it was the best possible outcome at the time.

Yea we should never pretend DADT was a GOOD thing, but we also can't act like there was some BETTER solution on the table Clinton walked away from. It was a terrible stopgap to fix a horrible problem, there's no excuse for it taking so long to fix but when people act like it was Clinton somehow making GBS threads on gays it's just absurd.

It's almost as if up until very recently gay rights were a constant struggle to even get weak, half-assed, reforms to fix absolutely horrific abuses of basic human dignity or something.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 17, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fishmech posted:

It's worth remembering the Clinton's platform in 1992 had been to remove restrictions on gay people in the military completely, but conservative democrats had teamed up with the republicans to block it. They were threatening to reaffirm the existing investigate and dishonorable discharge status quo.

The Clinton white house was literally the first time in American history we had a white house actively on our side in basically any way. First major (out) gay appointments, major pushes for HIV/AIDS coverage in medical benefits, hell they were even on the 'hey maybe stop bullying gay kids, I bet that's not good for them' train long before everyone else. We literally had people giving impassioned rants about how the clinton white house was the 'most pro-gay administration ever' as a slam on them.

poo poo still sucked, it's like we're an oppressed minority or something, but some non-LGBT dude coming in to be all 'hrm I dunno if you think about it wasn't this just basically separate but equal' is loving bonkers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Insect Court posted:

I find the implication that the Obama FDA is filled with secretly bible-thumping homophobes to be a questionable one. Doubly so when there are perfectly sensible reasons arising from well-regarded mainstream statistical epidemiology as to why the deferral period should remain in place.

Who's called them 'secretly bible-thumping homophobes', though? Literally who?

We've said they're behind the times, and ignorant, and yea probably a bit bigoted, but I don't think the fuckin head of the FDA is screaming about JAYZUS healing all the queers of their faggotry or whatever. I think it's just a group of old straight people who are still in an AIDS panic mentality about 'well jeepers better safe than sorry with those queers'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/baybuzz/lgbt-pride-flag-raised-after-orlando-shooting-unbearable-for-christian/2282099

quote:

TAMPA -- A pride flag waving outside the Hillsborough County center was meant to be a sign of respect and remembrance for the victims of the shooting at an LGBT nightclub in Orlando.

But just a day after it was raised, Commissioner Stacy White said it may be offending Christian employees and questioned whether it should be taken down.

In an email sent to the the county human relations director Peggy Rowe on Thursday, White said he received an anonymous complaint from a county employee that the presence of the flag was “nearly unbearable” for her to pass on her way to work and created a "hostile work environment."

Calling the rainbow flag a “divisive, politically-charged symbol,” White asked Rowe if it could become an HR problem for the county. If it does, then White said he wanted a special meeting of the county commission to consider removing it.

Commissioners voted 5-1 on Wednesday to hang the flag for the rest of June, which is Pride Month, after 49 people were killed at Pulse Nightclub in Orlando on Sunday. The shooter, Omar Mateen, reportedly targeted the bar because it is a well-known LGBT hangout. It was the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

White, a Republican who represents east Hillsborough County, was not present for the meeting. The flag was raised immediately after Wednesday’s meeting.

Even if this isn’t an HR problem, White criticized County Administrator Mike Merrill for allowing commissioners to vote to raise the flag without telling them that some employees may have issue with it.

“It is still – in my view – unconscionable that the county administrator didn’t express to the board that this divisive symbol might create an uncomfortable workplace environment for many of his employees,” White wrote.

In a memo to commissioners Thursday, Merrill defended himself against White’s charge, saying he was “not aware of any employee complaint or concern having been expressed prior to the Board’s action.” He also said the decision to raise the flag followed commission protocols.

“I believe that I had no reasonable basis to believe that the Board’s action would create a hostile or uncomfortable work environment,” Merrill wrote.

The county’s HR department will investigate the complaint, he said.

In addition to raising the pride flag, the commission voted to recognize June as LGBT pride month every year and hold a candlelight vigil each year on June 12 to remember the victims of the Orlando shooting.

Remember, even a few days after we get mass murdered, we need to remember that our flag is a very divisive and mean thing to put in public and really it's our fault if someone is 'uncomfortable' with it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Control Volume posted:

Imagined all of these with a lisp

do tell

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh! Right! I get it, it's funny because they're GAY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hermetic posted:

Wow, that probation seems super fair and even-handed. :v:

So does N4I have pictures of you, AA...? Or is this more of a quid pro quo thing where you can be a massive shitheel in GIP with no repercussions?

I think it's because someone literally used the deaths of 50 LGBT people as a defense against their being called out for lovely behavior, and the moderators seem to be protecting them for it. The combination of lovely behavior and even shittier behavior would put a damper on any conversation.

in which the guy playing more progressive than thou is upset that someone got probated for a dumb 'haha lisping human being drama am I right' post.

Seriously my man read your last few posts and tell me you have any room to talk about insufferable and lovely posting, take a loving breath.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's a mod conspiracy that a guy who said a stupid thing while being angry at a straight dude literally trying to tell him how to feel about a thing that happened to him wasn't shot in the street like a dog, now let me defend this guy talking about lisping homos

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

how do these people loving function

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

So this is an ad that a Democrat put out against a gay Republican candidate, the Log Cabin Republicans are calling it homophobic.

There are legitimate scandals involving this guy and points 1, 3, and 4 are legitimate but point 2 bothers me. I'm not comfortable with Democrats promoting the idea that single gay men using online dating services is some sort of scandalous thing, are gay politicians not allowed to have a personal life? I think there's still a lot of politicians out there who are comfortable with the existence of gays and gay marriage as long as it's discussed in the abstract but still have some pretty regressive views when actual details are put out in the open.

wasn't the thing around 2 A) he sent a bunch to the Mexican ex and that was the proof they actually had a relationship, and B) the ones he sent to others weren't exactly requested?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ThaumPenguin posted:

Storm comrade?

yea, right out in the storm's front even

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm in full agreement that immigration laws are hosed and whatever goes on in someone's bedroom is none of the government's or anyone else's business. I'm just trying to point out why none if this is really about him being bi.

yea this is a very not uncommon situation because our immigration laws are real hosed, especially around the marriage stuff, but this has nothing to do with bisexuality. The whole 'that's a beard marriage!!!' thing has been used against immigrants constantly as a tool to try to use the legal system to hurt them. This is an immigration issue more than a specific sexuality one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
boy once we figure out the exact privilege value of every community and then finally fix this bigotry against the white man then maybe we can talk about news like the flood of bigoted bills being drafted nearly as soon as trump won on both state and federal level. Haha won't their faces be red when I explain to them that the person they're forcing into homelessness to die on the street is actually slightly higher on the chain of who gets the most poo poo than someone else.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hollismason posted:

Isn't a gender neutral restroom just a restroom.

well that's how it's been since the beginning and all, but now a bunch of people wanted to give morons free pass to harass anyone in the bathroom who looks a little butch or whatever so now we apparently have to say 'HEY THE TOILET IN HERE DOESN'T CARE WHAT BITS YOU HAVE'

Also in news, the Canadian BLM Pride protest seemed to work

http://www.cp24.com/news/vote-held-at-pride-toronto-agm-to-ban-police-floats-from-future-parades-1.3245883

Despite the cops pretending they don't know what it means it seems pretty obvious

quote:

“Perhaps a cavalcade of sirens and inmate buses and vehicles is not the most appropriate way to participate in the parade. Nowhere in what I just said is that it is not appropriate to participate.”

they don't want cops in the parade showing off cop bullshit in some weird strongman thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

stone cold posted:

when did we add this to the quiltbag agenda?

probably since the start because, ya know, LGBT homelessness has always been a pretty critical issue?

• Locked thread