Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The World Congress of Families meets this weekend. It's the World Cup of hate, and like last year, US groups are playing a big part spreading and reinforcing the anti-gay propaganda that we've come to know and love.

There's the usual anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-woman, and pro-violence sentiments, of course, but there is also a growing rhetoric in opposition to western values and the US specifically. Watching that little political flower grow and blossom over the next decade should be fun.

The gathering is massive. This article has a good list of european and US attendees, and sparse information on attendees from other continents.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/religious-right-leaders-head-republic-georgia-pro-family-attacks-west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

PT6A posted:

Is there any country where Catholic clergy weren't loving children? It's disturbingly common -- both the raping and the subsequent coverups that always occurred.

No, and if you want to feel really depressed, nothing ever really got fixed. Even under the latest pope, journalists have reported cases where pedophile priests are getting sent to different continents and to rural orphanages. The church doesn't give a gently caress about its chomos, except in the context of moving them toward more and more vulnerable populations where the stigma of rape gets high enough to keep the kids from talking.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Media organizations are getting closer and closer to an international understanding of where the money goes and who's really in charge. And it can't come fast enough because the damage they can do abroad when they think nobody's watching is horrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEMkvmhyu9U

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

This is more on the lighter side of things, but I found it very satisfying:

Remember the Kim Davis rally where Huckabee played "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor without their permission? Well, the band wasn't joking around about being pissed off about it. Frankie Sullivan sued Huckabee and they reached (what was) a confidential settlement. But Huckabee wrote the whole thing off as a campaign expense, so his June FEC filing revealed he had to fork over $25,000 for using their song without permission.

Huckabee's defense was that the rally was a religious assembly. This didn't pass muster because he claimed the whole rally as a presidential campaign expense.
Huck has attempted to set up a legal defense fund, but the FEC wasn't having it.

I know it's only a slight inconvenience for him, but it's nice that there are people out there who are willing to go through the hassle of a lawsuit to make a point.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

Other changes in the draft legislation increase the penalties for suspects convicted of committing certain offenses in a multi-person bathroom or changing facility.

So their grand compromise was to increase the punishment for the non-existent trans bathroom predator, and in exchange trans people get to hear, "Show me your papers."

Yay!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Weird - I thought NOM's purpose was to allow a guy who claimed to work 80 hours a week for 10 years to claim approx $500,000 per year(including benefits) in salary.

It's just so foreign to me that this man is desperately asking people for more money in such a way.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

It shouldn't be; the end of his gravy train is in sight and he doesn't have a backup plan yet.

No, he does have one - he's been elected president of the World Conference(Congress?) of Families. It's just that that salary is a huge paycut for him.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

There was a bombing in downtown Salem on tuesday. I had no idea until I was reading international news outlets using terms like IED and terrorist cell.

The few US outlets that picked up the story called it vandalism and a possible hate crime.

Way to go, journalism!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

fishmech posted:

Which Salem are you talking about?

Massachusetts

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/08/27/5k-reward-offered-for-bombers-who-blew-up-lgbt-newspaper-stand/

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Everything old is new again.
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/texas_supreme_court_justice_denying_same_sex_spouses_benefits_encourages_procreation

quote:

"Marriage is a fundamental right. Spousal benefits are not. Thus, the two issues are distinct, with sharply contrasting standards for review," Justice Devine writes in his dissent.

You're entitled to the responsibilities of a marriage, but not the rights. The rights and benefits exist to encourage married heterosexual couples to stop doing things like using birth control and having non-vaginal intercourse.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The second point is pretty lovely. They should replace it with his 17 year old live-in boyfriend/current student he dated while he was abusing other children as executive director of that school.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Honestly, the simplest thing to me is to just replace the masculine elements with feminine elements and see if it still feels skeevey.

"Threatened his Mexican immigrant ex-girlfriend with deportation" - Yeah, pretty still hosed up.

"Sent naked photos of himself to a woman he met online soliciting sex" - I guess it depends on when the solicitation happened; the language is vague enough that I can't tell if it's saying he just out of the blue sent the photos with a solicitation, or if he met the person when they solicited him for sex online.

This was a salacious scandal at the time. He was a conservative darling, championing anti-immigration and anti-gay stances.
Babeu's hookup profile (studboi1) called himself "str8 acting, hard working, and loyal"

It was his bf's friends who revealed that Babeu was done with him and looking for younger guys. Loyalty indeed.

Doesn't make point number 2 any less grody. But the exchange was consensual. And Babeu is still trash who is certainly going to win his election and represent the great state of Arizona.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm know i'm misunderstanding you DIOR but for real, the phrasing of that is not the best

I've had terrible phrasing before, and I acknowledge that I am not a great communicator.

Babeu used Adam4Adam to find consensual partners for no-strings sex. There is nothing wrong or ad-worthy about that.

His boyfriend, who was under the very strong impression that they were in a monogamous, serious relationship was not happy with his cheating. The district attorney told Sheriff Babeu to gently caress off in this case, because their department was tired of covering for his dalliances.

The democrats creating that ad were not blind to who their audience is, and they are definitely exploiting homophobia to their advantage.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I hope you one day find the strawman liberal you are seeking, so that you can have the very unproductive discussion that you want.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2016/09/26/brandis-to-meet-with-dreyfus-over-plebiscite.html
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/09/27/australia-could-face-five-year-delay-on-same-sex-marriage-attorney-general-warns/

quote:

The proposed gay marriage plebiscite looks unlikely to go ahead after Labor confirmed it will not support the enabling legislation in its current form.

Earlier, Senator Brandis warned gay couples may have to wait until the 2020s before legislation is changed to allow gay couples to marry in the absence of a plebiscite.

quote:

The country’s PM Malcolm Turnbull is trying to avoid a rift with his own ultra-conservative MPs by bringing forward plans to take same-sex marriage to the public in a non-binding plebiscite, instead of settling the matter in Parliament.

Things aren't looking so good for marriage equality in Australia, in spite of popular support from the public.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Australia's non-binding plebiscite on marriage equality has been voted down by their senate.

This is good, because it was never anything more than the equivalent of their conservatives hoping to distract the pro-marriage movement, like jangling their keys in front of a baby. Public opinion favors marriage equality, but ultra-conservatives in government continue to stall by any means available.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Pence is vice president and the Reds control the government. Say goodbye to all the progress of the past 8 years.

What can we do to stop it?

Little at the federal level. MLK said 'The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice,' but places like Uganda and especially indonesia prove otherwise.

I'm lucky to live in a mostly gay friendly city. We're going to push for municipal protections that weakly mimic the lgbtq executive orders that are about to vanish. But we can't ban discrimination at the federal level, of course. And I think the cry of 'states rights' is done in my red state for 4 years, too.

If you don't live in a blue state or in a gay friendly area, or work at a gay friendly company, you're going to have to realistically assess your quality of life. You might have to relocate.

Because remember, it's not just the likely 2 appointments to SCOTUS the Heritage Foundation will get, there's also going to be RFRA at the federal level, too. With Pence and Lively running Trump's (absence of) moral compass, you can bet they're going to push for a 'or any sincerely held moral belief' clause in addition to a religious objection.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Oh, and all the appellate court justices who've had their nominations stalled for years. We're gonna get those vacancies filled with Liberty University grads.

The dems won't put up a fight for very long, because unlike conservatives, they have at least some commitment to functional democratic governance.

e: I looked it up. 103 vacancies that Obama has been dragging his feet on for 8 years for some crazy reason.

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 9, 2016

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

How the hell is it not a crime to report that your minor child is missing? For six months.

e: seriously, at some point somebody has to ask, "did you murder your child?"

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 18, 2016

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The Cherokee Nation will now formally recognize same sex marriages.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...29c4ca126a.html

quote:

While a tribal court recently avoided ruling on the issue, the Cherokee Nation will begin recognizing same-sex marriages under an opinion issued Friday by the tribe’s attorney general, who said that Cherokees practiced something similar to gay marriage in past centuries.

While agreeing that the tribe, as a sovereign nation itself, was not bound by the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court decision that made gay marriage legal in all 50 states, Todd Hembree echoed the court’s reasoning, deciding that the tribe’s own constitution “protects the fundamental right to marry” regardless of the genders involved in the relationship.

That decision effectively nullifies a law the Cherokee Nation enacted in 2004 to specify that marriages recognized by the tribe had to be between a man and woman.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

North Carolina's legislature today has its 5th special session, to repeal HB2.

So far they have:
-recognized outgoing lawmakers.
-recognized an intern for their service.
-successfully voted on rules, over objections by some lawmakers that this 5th special session is unconstitutional.
-recessed 3 times so repubs could have closed door meetings.
-not proposed the repeal of HB2. Wait, untrue. Just now senate dems have finally filed the bill to repeal

You can check on this guy's twitter for updates
https://twitter.com/NickOchsnerWBTV/status/811634817846669316

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

North Carolina just spent tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars to thank an intern for their service.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

In very weird news, this:

America's young earth creationist sweetheart is taking back the rainbow from gays and any spectrum of Norse/Asatru, by shining multicolor lights on his replica of Noah's ark, which is a giftshop.

Feel the sting of his blade, liberals. This winter solstice is reclaimed for Santa and christians!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

http://abc11.com/politics/naacp-calls-for-boycott-of-nc-over-hb2;-cooper-disagrees/1668551/

The Democratic elect governor of North Carolina is urging a #BetterWay. Actually, we should not boycott his state. We should instead work to improve the economy of his state because boycotts are bad for his state's economy.

The NAACP is gearing up for a national boycott of the state in response to the HB2 repeal debacle, but over the course of the election and fallout afterward there are a bazillion other reasons they'd want to tell the state to gently caress off until they make some changes.

I'm shocked they weren't already boycotting the state, honestly.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You mean I can't rely on the basic white girl who thinks she's an ally because she and her gay bestie check out cute boys together and watched Sex and the City? :monocle:

Do you want her chatting you up at the sit in, and then throwing a tantrum when she gets handcuffed and led away? Because you know that last part is going to be what makes the news.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

We all have different needs, but it's the exact same institutions recycling the exact same arguments in an endless shell game to vilify all of us. So it makes sense to stand as united as we can be against that front, no matter how different we are or variations in our sub-groups' progress. Mormons and catholics may have softened their rhetoric in the US toward gays after their marriage equality embarrassment, but both institutions spent millions to fight gay marriage in Mexico. They will happily ramp up their rhetoric against any of our sub-groups at any time, if it didn't affect their bottom line.

Back in the day we needed tight-knit populated communities for our safety. And we needed our own newspapers because even when there wasn't outright censorship of anything gay or trans, there was self-censorship. We needed to know which cops you shouldn't call, for fear of being beaten, shaken down, or just ignored. And we needed to know which businesses would actually serve us. If we didn't have that oppression, being gay or trans would be no more distinct than having blue or brown eyes. The internet has actually made a lot of that easier(thank god), and I hope that doesn't dilute our community too much.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

stone cold posted:

I'd rather have the oppression gone and deal with community dilution than be oppressed for something that is just as genetic as having blue or brown eyes.

I think we all would. But since we're such a small group combined with there being a marketplace in politics, televangelism, and talk radio for stoking violence against us for profit, we will always need a strong cooperative organized political machine and community to ensure that we receive the basic needs most other populations take for granted.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

https://www.whitehouse.gov/lgbt no longer exists.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/Sej_Singh/status/822559513786126336

Wow, another great pick he can help out civil rights hero Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions III

all is well.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

This, plus Raul Labrador's federal FADA will take us all the way back to sit-ins and arrests. I suspect that's what NC republican's insistence on a 'cooling off period' for anti-discrimination ordinances was all about. They were assured that their HB2 bullshit(and even worse) was going national soon, so they knew they were going to break the state boycott regardless.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

In "welcome to over a year ago" news;

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lesterfeder/a-leading-us-social-conservative-just-launched-a-mission-to?utm_term=.wvEKgWJ2g#.wn67dwYJd

quote:

One Russian lawmaker, chair of parliament’s budget committee Andrei Makarov, attended the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington where President Trump spoke on Thursday, where he was pictured with at least one member of Congress. RBC reported that Makarov was there in place of another MP, Duma Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Leonid Slutsky, who was originally invited but unable to attend. (Slutsky is one of several officials barred from entering the US after the invasion of Ukraine.)

the religious right, Heritage/FRC/AFA/ADF, and the Republican Party are all incestuous with Russian government and the World Congress of Families (which rebranded itself International Organization for the Family). International Organization for the Family is funded by US fundie Christians. And others, too, but since it's abroad it's all dark money.

The modern republican party is a big amorphous ball of white supremacy, misogyny, anti-semitism, pro-russian sentiment, and anti-democratic sentiment. America's opinions toward gays have changed so dramatically so fast because the hate groups fighting it moved their efforts off shore to countries with lax or no accounting regulations.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

North Carolina democrats are really beating that appeasement drum on HB2. Their latest repeal attempt is to acknowledge that evil bathroom crimes exist, even though they provably don't exist.

http://patch.com/north-carolina/fortbragg/north-carolina-gov-proposes-compromise-hb2-repeal

quote:

As part of the repeal proposal, Cooper introduced the following propositions:

* Tougher penalties for crimes committed in restrooms and dressing rooms

* A requirement that local governments give the legislature 30 days’ notice before voting on non-discrimination ordinances

Governor Roy Cooper posted:

“I know North Carolinians are tired of hearing about this. HB 2 has divided us and stained our reputation. I’ve proposed a common sense compromise that will get HB2 off the books and address concerns on both sides," Cooper said in a statement.

The only concern for republicans was stigmatizing and denigrating trans people. Their concerns should remain unaddressed, but golly gee, NC democrats really want this inconvenient issue to go away quietly.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Disgraced shill Mark Regnerus offers his rebuttal to the peer reviewed study that linked marriage equality with a reduction in teen suicide.

http://www.slowlyboiledfrog.com/2017/02/mark-regnerus-doesnt-like-teen-suicide.html

The quality of Regnerus' rebuttal is consistent with his most famous study, and he remains a shill handed a conclusion and paid to invent trappings of smart-sounding anti-gay gobbledygook for use in court cases.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

North Carolina has until April 18th to repeal HB2, or they will lose out on all NCAA championship events through 2022.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

HB142 leaves the squashing of minimum wage across the state intact, which was part of HB2.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

quote:

“In addition to this,” Jones continued, “I have joined with Senator Britt in drafting a bill that strengthens existing law and offers even more protections for everyone in restrooms and changing facilities. My bill will do two things: First, it will specifically state it is a second degree trespass for entering the restroom or changing room of the opposite sex; secondly, it would enhance the punishment from what is now, a class 3 misdemeanor punishable up to only 10 days, to a class 1 misdemeanor, punishable up to 120 days in jail.”

Who the gently caress could have seen this coming? Roy Cooper is a worthless piece of poo poo and NC republicans have won a decisive victory because he is so pathetic and craven. Gotta protect those sacred public bathrooms from those evil trans predators.

quote:

“A faction of the Republican Party here in North Carolina is angry that HB2 was repealed,” Democratic Representative Deb Butler told Mother Jones. “They wanted it, they liked it just the way it was. This is, I am sure, their attempt to thumb their nose at the compromise.

No...really?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Senju Kannon posted:

the russian interference was hacking the dnc e-mails. that's the interference. coordinated hacks that made clinton look bad by showing people who she did and said behind closed doors.

That's not the extent of it. Specifically with regard to the gay community, Russia has become a broker for international hatred of gays. Here's a loooooong article which I find to be incomplete but accurate:

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/repor...e-era-of-trump/

Russians were invited to CPAC and the National Prayer Breakfast. Russians give dark money to US groups struggling to keep the cashflow coming domestically. This sea change has been building for years. It was only a matter of time before Republicans cozy'd up to Russian influences.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Oh great, this is becoming a thing. In North Carolina a glbtq high school group went to the state capitol with a reporter from NPR. The reporter was expecting a young people being civicly active fluff piece, but instead had to write about all the vile poo poo republicans subjected the kids to.

State republican reps threatened to cut the station's funding if the reporter wasn't fired. She was.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Could I get a link to this story? I'm not angry enough today.

Here you go

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/03/gop-pressured-npr-firing-journalist-reported-bigotry/

It was in Tennessee, not NC. For some reason I've had North Carolina on my mind lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

All the way back to the supreme court, but this time with Gorsuch.

• Locked thread