Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Keeshhound posted:

Usually I can follow whatever stupid and twisted logic these idiots use to build these suits, but that link said she was claiming her 14th amendment rights were being violated.

What?

Parental rights fall under the due-process clause of the 14th. Shittiest mom of the year is claiming that the court never informed her when her child applied for emancipation, so she had no opportunity to challenge the loss of her parental rights, and therefor the lack of due process means they should still be intact. So daughter, using the current law in Minnesota that grants emancipated minors control over their own medical decisions, is violating her mother's parental rights by getting medical care her mom hasn't signed off on.

And this is all being backed by an anti-abortion group, because the law gives cover to minors seeking abortions without parental consent. Looking forward to so Minnesota judge smacking this poo poo sandwich down with the fury of an angry god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

If I'm reading the article right, the child never -had- to apply, Minnesota law isn't very definite, but seems to agree that living on their own with no parental attempts to get them to return home after running away or being kicked out is sufficient.

http://www.lawhelpmn.org/files/1765CC5E-1EC9-4FC4-65EC-957272D8A04E/attachments/142FAC1B-D276-4E40-97D4-9662A7B0DE56/y-12-emancipation.pdf

It is, of course, going to be woefully expensive to prove, and all because a 17 year old is transistioning and the parent who abandoned them wants to put the brakes on. Case is, more than likely from what I can tell as a layperson, going to be dismissed anyway because by the time it comes to court the daughter will be of age and the mother's requests will be without merit.

You don't need a judge to declare it or something like that? Learn something new everyday.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

I know, I'm more asking why they don't try and overcome their total anti LGBT stance. Granted it's not stopped them from gaining ground all over the world, but it one of the big things that gets cited as the public moving to accepting LGBT people while they demonize us. I guess it was just a stupid thought exercise really.

It's really because the olds wouldn't be o.k. with it, and they still run most of the GOP. If it were up to young conservatives, they would gladly declare the war over with marriage rights and open their arms to self-loathing gays like Milo, eager to prove their anti-PC chops by making GBS threads on women and minorities just like their straight bros.

Sorry, you were specifically talking about the alt-right, not conservatism in general. The alt-right doesn't really care about gays, but they have an extreme dislike of PC culture and anything associated with liberalism which puts them in conflict with a lot of LGTBQIA issues. The self-loathing types I mentioned above are welcome in the alt-right as long as they spew the right poo poo, and embrace being called "human being" because it's just a word, man.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 23, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Forgall posted:

I'm sure Internet Atheist crowd that pulled for Trump as hard as they could will be delighted.

Internet Atheists love making GBS threads on women more than they hate bible-thumpers and never let them tell you otherwise.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

As someone who's bisexual, I wish that people would really stop giving into the LGBT community

Someone should tell this person they don't need a whole sentence to say 'self-loathing.'

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played the game, but wasn't the entire media blitz around Tracer pretty much just

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like things are pretty good for me, so you need to stop talking about how things still suck for you. It's so divisive.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Yardbomb posted:

That's not what I said or am saying though. Just that good looking dudes doesn't solely mean guy power fantasy anymore. :shrug:

Good-looking dudes never really meant a guy power fantasy. In fact it's often been the opposite because to be a passive target of desire is seen as inherently feminine and thus something to be avoided. When comic books were loaded up with fugly neanderthals buried under their own musculature, it was appealing to a hyper masculine fantasy that rejects anything feminine, including being conventionally attractive. But you still had oblivious jerks claiming that Liefeld's Captain America, who had the body proportions of a hamhock, was just as sexualized as the spineless women showing both rear end and tits at the same time because they were both in lycra.

We're all cool and post-metrosexual now so it's o.k. to have a few pretty boys for fanservice. The key word being 'few' because male characters get to be defined by a lot of things that aren't sex-appeal which will catch people's interest. For female characters "do I want to bone her" is really important to a lot of the audience, so having a range of sexy, fuckable girls takes precedence over actual diversity in characterization.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Quorum posted:

Sure, there's just no point in bitching about all your allies being fair-weather cowards or whatever if it's just a natural normal thing with no value judgment implied. If people are just venting their frustrations about dumb people they've met lately by using broad generalizations then whatever, people have to vent I guess.

More to the point, LGBT as a concept doesn't make any sense at all if allies are dumb and bad because LGB and T aren't even the same thing; there's nothing innate linking us except being good allies to each other (and let's not pretend that's even the case much of the time).

Actually we're all connected by the rigid culture of gender norms and sexism the govern what we can do and be in hetero-cis culture. That's queer/feminist theory 101, and if you want a good measure of who is and isn't a valuable ally, then look for people who understand that and are motivated to work for change on all fronts because a victory anywhere serves to weaken the system as a whole.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I really want someone to actually say what disparate interests the G, L, B, and T have that make joint political action ridiculous instead of just acting like it's an accepted truth.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

I agree. And, thanks to the Internet, that's actually possible today. poo poo, I didn't even know transgender existed until I was in my early / mid 30s (because I am old and also naive). It wasn't that I was taught being transgender was bad and wrong; it's that I was never taught anything about it. It took things like Chaz motherfuckin' Bono to really drive it home that this poo poo was real and possible, not just the stuff of movies and cartoons. Now we've got Laverne Cox, Transparent, that Jasmine kid, Janet Mock, Caitlyn Jenner, Chelsea Manning, all kinds of stuff.

All I had was a stereotypically gay hairdresser who lived next door taking care of his elderly mom and the Bible. Also movies that treated drag queen, transgender, transvestite, and homosexual as interchangeable.

Yes. We need education. I'm just trying to say that these are not political issues. It's not the fault of the law or politicians that bisexual people have unique issues. It's is a societal problem.

Really? So if we had full, comprehensive sex-ed in schools that covered bisexuals along with other queer identities and issues you don't think it would have a big effect on people understanding and accepting bisexuality within themselves and others? 'Political' doesn't just mean the legal code. It's anything the government has it's hands in and that includes education.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Just saying but we had great sex ed at my school that did cover all of that and a bunch of my fellow classmates still post things on facebook et al like how they think bisexuals aren't really real.

Are you one of them? Because unless the whole class are a bunch of assholes, you can't say it was useless.

No one is saying it's a cure-all, but it takes constant debunking of the old poo poo and repetition of your own message for the culture as a whole to shift. Sex-ed is just one avenue out of many, but it's a really good one because it targets kids and does so multiple times over their education.

Also, while you can't really point to a broad prejudice in the law that exclusively affects bisexuals, biphobia is cause for invalidating people's relationships and that does have legal repercussions.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

You're the one claiming that just education is going to cause people to stop having dumb opinions. Frankly if that was true you'd at least have some states with significantly less dumb opinions, because they have the better schools. That's clearly not the case.

Nope. I'm not doing that, and I even directly countered that assumption in my follow up post. But I know you get some sort of erotic thrill from putting words into people's mouths and doubling down on what you claimed they said, so here's a freebee:

OMG, education is the ONLY THING that can make Everyone love and accept BisexualitY and if you think otherwise you're just a HATER.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Pretty interesting of you to apparently say that you didn't even claim anything at all? So you just wanted to say some words you didn't believe in? :confused:

Sorry, dude. I'm not in helping you edge tonight.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jesus just f*ck already.

Yeah, because we're both equally at fault here. I said something, Fishmech grossly misinterpreted it as usual, and now is whining that I won't defend words they shoved into my mouth.

You want a change of topic, then make one yourself instead of complaining that people are boring you with their bickering.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If only there was a way to exit a circular debate with fishmech 🤔

I ended it, but I'm real tempted to reengage since you seem so eager to play referee.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krysmphoenix posted:

Just once I'd like to see LGBT rights get protected but that exact same argument. By removing LGBT protections you are violating my religious freedom to believe that LGBT folk are human and should be treated with basic dignity, including the right to not die.

Does the Church of Satan do that? I know they make that exact argument for anti-abortion crap.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The guard is there to keep an eye out for the many rapists that appear into being when men and women use toilets in adjoining stalls.

Really it's just making it a financial hardship to have a unisex bathroom so places wont do it. Though I'd love the specs on how much it costs to hired a bathroom attendant to "guard" your single restroom vs. building a second one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Isn't there some internet law about straight white guys can do anything and no one cares, but if a minority does something then they represent every single member of their group.

Straight white guys hates on women and immigrants? Wow, that guy's a jerk.

Gay guy hates on women and immigrants? Wow, all gay men are such jerks!

This is criticism that has been brought up repeatedly by the rest of the LGBTQ community for a long time now. White gay men are the least oppressed out of any queers, and a lot of them are oblivious, ladder-pulling assholes happy to rest on the rights their predecessors bled for because they're cushioned with privileges of race and gender.

Is that all white, gay men? No, but if it ain't about you then it ain't about you. And if you're just learning about this criticism from a college student's Huffpo piece then that's you being ill-informed, not some new form of gay-bashing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I've spent a lot of time in bumfuck nowhere and not only is it untrue that there is no gay scene in rural areas, I've never met anyone who likes their own gender but wont call it gay because of some sense of cultural alienation.

It's always they ain't some sissy-fag, a.k.a they aren't a woman, and I'm not going to be sympathetic to misogyny.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe I'm a big babby then because mostly I just feel bad that there's some poor fucker going around terrified 24/7 of being a sissy-fag.

Not least because it's actually quite nice.

No you're just one in a long line of oblivious men who would like to keep making excuses for misogyny instead of tackling it head on. Toxic masculinity sucks. It hurts men, it hurts gay men, but it hurts out gay men and people who aren't men the most. In the broad sense of things, closet bros are more enablers than victims, and I'm not going to mince words about that just because it's the nice thing to do.

Stop hating women so much that you fear even a passing association with their behavior.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Quorum posted:

Ouch, settle down there bucko, I don't know how you got "I hate women" from them there posts.

It was directed at previously mentioned closet bros, not Owlfanicier.

Owlfancier is merely really, really concerned about men's angst and anxieties in a way that often comes at the expense of other groups.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Again, this criticism is brought up constantly among women, POC, and trans folk in the queer community and if some college kid regurgitating that stuff into a huffpo article is the first you've ever come across it, then that really speaks to the problem. White male privilege among gay men is not a new subject, but you all sound like you've been blindsided and are scrambling to discredit it by reframing it as gay bashing from non-queers.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Control Volume posted:

There are problems, problems that I have personally seen and take steps against when I'm out, but there's a world of difference between someone saying "These are the problems with the gay community" and "This IS the gay community."

How do you read an article specifically about white gay men and come to the conclusion it's about the whole community?

I'm sorry someone compared you to Milo and it hurt your feelings, but you haven't given any indication that the FYGM attitude Milo represents isn't a problem among white gay men. And either being ignorant of or ignoring that this exact same criticism has been coming from the other letters in the acronym for years now isn't helping.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

I'm not trying to deny that gay white men have privilege, I'm just taking issue with some of the specific attitudes displayed in that article. I've read plenty of articles on intersectionality in the LGBT community that do not make all sorts of absurd, unfounded claims like this guy does.

LGBT support for Trump was very low, somewhere in the 15-25% range depending on what exit poll you look at. I'm sure gay white men specifically voted for him at a higher rate but there's no data on that at all. So from the outset this guy is writing an article about a supposed trend of Trump support among gay white men without any hard evidence whatsoever to suggest that this trend even exists. Milo is not just unrepresentative of gay white men as a whole but has explicitly disavowed the LGBT community and is probably the dumbest possible anecdote you could choose.

He then goes on to blame issues among gay men like the obsession with masculinity specifically on gay white men for some reason when those issues cut across races. Why would one assume that white gay men specifically have more of an issue with misogyny rather than men as a whole?

So you also believe that of the15- 25% of gays that voted for Trump, they were very likely to be white gay men, but you feel targeted because the author didn't back up your shared gut feeling with statistics? Also the article brings up several gay conservative leaders and organizations that aren't Milo. So there are at least three or four white gay men in the FYGM Trump camp, and one heads an organization of like minded individuals implying more.

It's basically just saying gay conservatism exists, backed up with voting percentages, prominent members, and organizations, and that they're likely to be white and male because conservatives are likely to be white and male.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krysmphoenix posted:

I had literally just read on Huffington Post about the family of a trans boy being excluded from the Cub Scouts. The article ended with vague talk about a lawsuit, so I'm not surprised they're buckling down this quick! The Girl Scouts are fantastic about accepting trans girls, and I don't think the Venture Scouts have ever made gender related exclusions with regard to trans folk in general.

Venture scouts is part of BSA, but they're also co-ed so it's less of an issue.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Dark One posted:

I grew up with a completely co-ed Scouts Canada, so learning about how conservative the US Scouts were was disappointing.

Co-ed is only progressive for boys. It's actually harmful for girls, so you have to be careful slinging it around like a gold standard.

Boy Scouts of America is also heavily backed by the Mormon church, which is why it lags behind pretty much every other scouting organization (there are a bunch) as far as dealing with the queer community and atheists.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Small benefit of Trump being a loose cannon I guess? I do enjoy the general indifference and contempt he presents to the religious right. Maybe he can disillusion enough of them that they go crawling back into their churches and out of the political sphere.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe we just hate white gay men now because when asked why, they refuse to accept any answer given because they've decided that it's super-secret homophobia in action and that's all they want to hear?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
What's the story behind Cathy Brennan, or what's the story behind the facebook thing?

Brennan is an infamous TERF who runs around outing trans folk, sending harassing letters to their doctors, and getting into fights with other feminists and LGBTQIA members over how all trans people are just crazy and/or malicious and it's misogyny to believe otherwise. She's also lovely to sex workers.

I'm guessing some trans group sent out a warning about her which sent a bunch of people over to her page to block her, triggering the algorithm.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

It definitely isn't a panacea, but if the other option is to rely on police who (in the Brazil example) do not give a -gently caress- or may even be complicit, there are worse options than considering your own self defense.

Mind you, 99 times out of 100, being in good enough shape to sprint a couple blocks is a better defense tactic, but it works best against random street crime. People out to commit a hate crime may not be too lazy to chase you.

And the person who said we should rely on the police is where?

Everyone is saying guns are a bad idea because suicidal tendencies are common enough among trans people, and having gun is often the difference between an attempt and an actual suicide. And we've brought up some alternate ideas like carrying mace or a baton, learning some self defense or taking up jogging so you can run away, and at this point even starting a community defense group of some sort. No one is trusting the state to protect our interests, but we're not freemen of the land either who assume just having a gun is going to make everyone bow down and respect us.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Shortest Path posted:

The Black Panthers worked well, but being black does not significantly increase suicide risk from owning a gun so I do not think the same thing is advisable for us. Grouping up and banding together to protect each other is still a good idea but the gun ownership not so much.

Being trans doesn't increase your suicide risk from owning a gun. Just your chances of success. Black people also increase their chances of successful suicide by having access to a gun, even if they're less likely as a demographic to attempt it.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cis autodrag posted:

I don't like describing this as schadenfreude. I know it's not in the literal definition of the word, but I feel like there's a subtext that the downfall is an appropriate mirror to the thing they did. I don't like the idea of "caught loving children" as schadenfreude for being mean to trans people.

I don't know about the Germans, but there's definitely a blurred line between schadenfreude and white people karma in how it's interpreted a lot of times. If the guy's house burned down, most people would probably feel it was inappropriate to revel in it because that kind of misfortune is separate from his politics. But get outed as a sexual predator of children when you've been building your political career on the supposed sexual deviancy of another group and it's all "gently caress you buddy, hope you enjoy the bathroom laws in prison." It's not really schadenfreude but it is because we'd rather laugh at the "gently caress you" part then focus on sympathy for his victims.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Someone remind me how many times we have to retry the election in every thread for the ritual to be complete and our timeline to switch to one where the worst thing didn't happen?

Hillary did things right and did things wrong, and critically examining her campaign hopefully with provide insight on what can be later on. But that's not what this is at all. It's just a cathartic shitfest for anti-Hillary types where they can get their I-told-you-sos in and kick that evil bitch a few more times for daring to exist in a world that deeply hates women who seek power.

Senju Kannon posted:

i still voted for her so i don't know why you're calling me a gullible drone. though i gotta lol at you literally promoting liberal elitism that plays like poo poo in the south

Go gently caress yourself. You any anyone else who has the loving nerve to use the South as your example of Dem losses because poor white just feel so alienated.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 9, 2017

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokAngel posted:

Do people feel the same about religious organizations marching? Even the ones that are pro-LGBT now probably weren't in the past.

If the Episcopalians want to march then I'm down with it. They picked their LGBTQ members over their conservative ones, and it cost them. And I think that kind of gets to the heart of the problem with corporations and police as well. Acceptance of the queer community is/was an ethical issue, and you don't get any points for taking a stand when it's all but settled, and you aren't actually taking one when you're ignoring the ongoing abuse of your institution against the community. You're the group with the political and social capitol. Stick your drat neck out for us or stop pretending you're any kind of ally.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
This entire argument has been: Police marching in uniform to represent their organization should not be welcome in pride parades because, as an organization, police do not support the LGBTQ community.

And then the same two posters walk in with "so you're going to dig into the background of every person attending a parade to make sure they aren't police by profession; doesn't that make you the real bigots?" and we repeat the process all over again because you can't bring yourselves to tell a couple of bad faith posters to gently caress off.

Believe it or not the queer community is a sociopolitical one and it makes perfect sense for us to draw lines based on who is working for or against us. You want to profit off some social goodwill for proud ally status, then you have to actually act like an ally. Police as an organization do not do that, and so police as an organization have no place at pride.,

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

No, that's not a fair characterization. People go beyond "police as an organization have no place" into "police personally have no place", on a rhetorical level, and that latter is something that is worth feeling out, in my opinion, for reasons I have posted earlier. I don't actually think that it's worth adopting a position of "everyone should be assumed to have the most generous reading possible for their posts", as joat mon's descent into arguing that the police as an organization are capable of being oppressed by QUILTBAG people shows.

It's absolutely a fair characterization. The only people bringing up keeping private individuals who happen to be cops out of Pride are you and everyone else on the "it's the oppressed minority who are the real bigots" train. You actually started out wringing your hands over people objecting to uniform cops marching in the parade, but I guess you realized you didn't have a leg to stand on with that one so you've invented this other argument that no one is making to take a noble stand against.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

No, I didn't. I can argue that infinitely,

Yeah, you're right dude. I got your post confused with Joat mon's when I reread the entire discussion looking for all these people calling for people who may work as cops to be driven from Pride that you keep insisting are there in order to justify all your hand wringing. You didn't start making a stand against those people who don't exist until later.

Brainiac Five posted:

The point is that the desire to vet everyone in the parade helps create a hostile environment at Pride, which is a bad thing, because when you have an environment where surveillance is expected, it can't be cleanly contained to just people who deserve it. I mean, maybe you think baby gays are all going to be gung-ho to get the third degree if they volunteer to work on a float...

You explicitly asked if people were talking about all cops or just uniformed officers, got a bunch of no's, and yet still felt the need to chide everyone on the hazards of the desire to vet everyone which no one actually expressed any interest in doing. There's being confused, and then there is being deliberately obtuse so you have an excuse to lecture anyway.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Lecturing clearly can't be that bad, since you're doing it right now.

Just like queers are the real bigots, I am the real lecturer. Got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

You keep trying to smear me with this and all I'm thinking is how miserable your friends must be.

You keep trying to make this discussion about literally anything else but your own desire to wag your finger at your own community.

• Locked thread