Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Agnosticnixie posted:

Collateral Murder says otherwise. But that's the wrong thread to be a natsec pissbaby anyway.

Also you're going for gender neutral pronouns after loving up and being corrected, so it comes off as mildly insincere.

I corrected it before anyone pointed it out. If you notice there's no edited by notification at the bottom of my post. I immediately changed them after I re-read my post. I was phone posting and didn't see it until afterwards, which is why I quickly corrected it to avoid this stupid derail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So much for trying to have discussion about the matter. Everyone just jumps to attacking me for a mistake that i tried to correct before anyone had even seen it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Whistleblowing is calling out a specific item and reporting it to an independent body (such as the inspector general, congress, the US press, etc).

It is not downloading everything classifiec you can willy nilly and giving it all to a russian stooge.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

People like Kurt Cobain show us that even with shotguns, where there is a will, there is a way. The last thing suicidal people need period is access to any kind of effortless instant-off machine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's almost like HB2 was toxic for the entire state and caused massive backlash that hurt everyone. Of course the democrats want to get rid of it, but they're still dealing with a GOP legislature. The governor gets nothing but his state's continued suffering by not working with them and getting something out the door that fixes the problem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I think we're going to actually be in the reverse position of the argument similar to how the State didn't want to defend PROP 8 . Sessions isn't going to allow the DOJ to argue against any new " criminalized homosexual" laws and transgender plaintiff laws etc.. All those protections are going out the window.

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are apparently pretty liberal in their social views so I don't think we're going to get any EO orders that are super detrimental to the LGBT community , but Sessions is going to gently caress the community anyway he can.

The title IX protections extended jointly by the DoE and DoJ were done simply in a policy statement that Sessions has voided. There are no more Title IX protections for trans students.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thalantos posted:

Eh, I don't think that's true.

Kushner, at least, is a big(bigly?) Influence on 45,

Sessions already pulled title IX protection for trans students.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Hey, a person in the trans discussion thread was wondering if the title IX case before the Supreme Court currently is affected by this, or if they could independently still decide to rule that trans people are protected by title IX?

I'm not familiar with the case so I can't speak to any specifics on it. I can say the court can absolutely still extend protections. It's kindof their job in civil rights cases. Sessions' actions could help or hurt the case depending on where it is at in the timeline. If they still haven't heard argument, then it could provide concrete examples of why these protections should be extended.

What's the case name and I'll look and give you a better answer.

e:f;b.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have my facebook settings set so no tags of me appear unless i approve them. People tag me in poo poo all the time but my name doesn't show up unless i approve it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Settings -> Timeline & Tagging

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Senju Kannon posted:

well the supreme court vacated the lower court's ruling on transgender students, due to the ruling relying on regulations no longer in place. people more well versed in judicial review; does this mean the lower court needs to revise their ruling, that the supreme court is killing the case, or something else entirely?

It was remanded back to the lower court to re-evaluate in light of the Sessions DoJ and DeVos DoE rescinding the transgender letter from the Obama admin.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mike Pompeo is a piece of poo poo, but he does make some salient points. Chelsea betrayed the very oath she took when she enlisted. Granted she had a rough patchy time and had a lot of trouble with the Army and her leadership, that doesn't justify the actions she took nor did she do anything heroic by dumping hundreds of thousands of state department cables etc.

I do think she has important things to say about the lovely hand that trans people and especially trans-servicemembers experience. Harvard inviting her to speak with regards to these topics is valid and well justified and I'm glad they're having her speak, but she should not be glorified for her actions that led to her conviction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah that's a pretty good article. I also think it was chickenshit of harvard to offer and then yank a title, but i'm glad she's getting to speak still regardless.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shukaro posted:

Leaking war crimes evidence is extremely good and should be encouraged.

I agree, but the fact that video got published as a part of the dump is more an outlier compared to the voluminous amount of other poo poo she dumped as well. If she had only dumped stuff like the collateral murder video, I'd preach right along with you. The fact that there was one or two good things exposed does not remotely make up for the sheer amount of damage done otherwise.

Leaking one or two pertinent things makes you a whistleblower. Indiscriminately dumping uncurated gigs of classified data that happens to have a few whistleblowing items in it does not.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 15, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gay people are still definitely not widely accepted across the country even by family. A friend of mine is a young man that moved a couple of years ago from N Florida to Atlanta. I never knew why he ran away, but I didn't question. Then saturday morning I wake up and there's a barrage of posts from his father talking mad poo poo about "if you're my blood and gay stay the gently caress away from me" and "it's about being a man and you're not a man if you're sucking dick" type things.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, they're a black family so probably not too klan related, but this type of attitude is common throughout the south. There's a reason ATL is the gayest city in the country and the gay mecca of the south.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My statement about atlanta being the gayest city in the country wasn't a per capita statement but rather based on some article i read probably 5 years ago that rated it the gay friendliest city in the nation with various metrics like support community, clubs, population, etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Australia is the most multi-cultured country on the planet? :lol:

According to wikipedia 26% of Aussie residents are born abroad, but the majority of those are English or Kiwi.

Australia is over 90% white European. They don't actually take race into account on census because they're lily white in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They do have more of a mixed bag, especially from SE Asia, than a lot of other commonwealth nations, though. I learned some stuff while looking up just how to respond to you :v:

• Locked thread