Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Silverthorne and Dillon are cool places, have traveled there many times for work. Coming down from Eisenhower tunnel must have been an experience with what you were carrying, holy poo poo. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Oh dang the wife and I were just there, stayed in Dillon even. Beautiful scenery.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Locator posted:

Vegas is actually in a really fantastic location to visit more gorgeous scenery than you can possibly imagine, not only in Utah, but in Nevada itself, as well as northern Arizona and even the mountains of California aren't very far away.

It is absolutely worth it to roll far enough out that you get away from the light pollution and watch the Milky Way come up over the desert. Black Rock is ~500 miles north, but there are places closer to LV where you can get it, and it's humbling.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

It is absolutely worth it to roll far enough out that you get away from the light pollution and watch the Milky Way come up over the desert. Black Rock is ~500 miles north, but there are places closer to LV where you can get it, and it's humbling.

Yea, from the center of LV it's only about 250 miles to the north rim of the Grand Canyon (north rim, best rim), but it's closed in the winter since hwy 67 is buried under snow. That drive along 89A from Fredonia to the Colorado river at Lee's Ferry is just amazing though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

bolind posted:

How does it work with the steering on the SUV in this case? Is it locked in place? If so, how?

We had the wheels locked via the steering lock, and also had a tie down strap holding the wheel in place.

Seemed to work just fine.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So let's talk Utah now. Utah, I very much thought was going to be like Kansas. Empty and boring.

Well I had the empty part right, but boring? Not at all.

I can pretty much count the number of other cars I saw on the road on one hand.

So, at one point I pulled off the road to get a better look at some scenery off in the distance.
At first I thought I'd just get a good shot of this mesa:

Then I turned around and realized what was behind me.
Like, you take a few steps out of the parking lot, and are greeted by this:

That was just mindblowing. Utah was easily one of my favorite legs of the trip

At this point though, it got dark. And it gets pitch black out there, so the picture taking pretty much stopped.
At least, until I got to Vegas. Managed to get one good pic of the lights coming in:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah Utah is cool, check out Bryce Canyon whenever you get a chance, it's not too far from Vegas and totally worth the trip.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Yea, from the center of LV it's only about 250 miles to the north rim of the Grand Canyon (north rim, best rim), but it's closed in the winter since hwy 67 is buried under snow. That drive along 89A from Fredonia to the Colorado river at Lee's Ferry is just amazing though.

I have a soft spot for the black rock desert as a big bowl of black mountains around a tannish-white desert plain makes for spectacular night views.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The boring part of utah is 80 west of slc.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Dude... that is the 'mediocre' part of Utah. :)

As was mentioned, go visit Bryce when you can. Really a huge portion of southern Utah is just amazingly scenic.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah Utah is cool, check out Bryce Canyon whenever you get a chance, it's not too far from Vegas and totally worth the trip.

Seconding this. We stumbled upon it on a road trip and it instantly became one of the highlights of the trip. We were climbing around and found some guys ashes in a brass urn.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah there's a reason the Mormons got to Utah and decided to kick it there

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ExplodingSims posted:

So let's talk Utah now. Utah, I very much thought was going to be like Kansas. Empty and boring.

Well I had the empty part right, but boring? Not at all.

I can pretty much count the number of other cars I saw on the road on one hand.

So, at one point I pulled off the road to get a better look at some scenery off in the distance.
At first I thought I'd just get a good shot of this mesa:

Then I turned around and realized what was behind me.
Like, you take a few steps out of the parking lot, and are greeted by this:

At this point though, it got dark. And it gets pitch black out there, so the picture taking pretty much stopped.
At least, until I got to Vegas. Managed to get one good pic of the lights coming in:

That Vegas valley entrance is so familiar to me. Really let's me know I'm almost home, even if your 70 miles out.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So yesterday I decided to go out and explore the area around Vegas a bit. Got about 40 mins outside of town and then my high temp alarm started going off.

Popped the hood, found the engine soaked in coolant. I squeezed the upper hose and could see steam shooting out of the tstat housing. gently caress.

Luckily I have AAA 100 miles, so about 3 hrs later I was at Autozone getting a new part.

Gets towed for 4000 miles with no issues. Drives 40 and barfs up all its coolant.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lol

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Thoughts and prayers

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Like= 1 prayer,

Share= 1 amen.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
One :five: = five amens

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ExplodingSims posted:

So yesterday I decided to go out and explore the area around Vegas a bit. Got about 40 mins outside of town and then my high temp alarm started going off.

Popped the hood, found the engine soaked in coolant. I squeezed the upper hose and could see steam shooting out of the tstat housing. gently caress.

Luckily I have AAA 100 miles, so about 3 hrs later I was at Autozone getting a new part.

Gets towed for 4000 miles with no issues. Drives 40 and barfs up all its coolant.

What in the gently caress is that plastic abomination? BMW?
Plastic, in a cooling system: never even once.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

One :five: = five amens

5'd

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

What in the gently caress is that plastic abomination? BMW?
Plastic, in a cooling system: never even once.

Guess you have to avoid every modern car then. :v:

That... is a strange abortion though. I would have expected that from ze Gemans, or the Brits.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Guess you have to avoid every modern car then. :v:

That... is a strange abortion though. I would have expected that from ze Gemans, or the Brits.

Well, kind of stuck with regards to radiators, I guess. Expansion tanks are meh, but that thing is critical with radiator hoses and... the cap? attached.

edit:
Closest my Crown Vic gets is the pressurized expansion tank.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 16, 2018

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My expansion tank is pressurized. :sigh:

Well, it is now. I was slowly loosing coolant for several months and kept smelling it, finally figured out the original (all plastic) cap wasn't holding pressure anymore.

Whenever it does rupture, the tank w/coolant level sensor is all of $35 or $40, but usually the sensor fails first.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Darchangel posted:

Well, kind of stuck with regards to radiators, I guess. Expansion tanks are meh, but that thing is critical with radiator hoses and... the cap? attached.

edit:
Closest my Crown Vic gets is the pressurized expansion tank.

Suprised. The aussie ford falcon has similar pressurized tank as normal for ford, but the rad also plastic on the sides (think intercooler style sides - rather than old traditional radiator top and bottom caps). With the falcon it's side caps for the rad and they're plastic.
I found that out when I had a small split on the side plastic and needed a new rad. Oh well it was 15 yrs old. E: lasted longer than the hose that burst 3 years earlier.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 16, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Suprised. The aussie ford falcon has similar pressurized tank as normal for ford, but the rad also plastic on the sides (think intercooler style sides - rather than old traditional radiator top and bottom caps). With the falcon it's side caps for the rad and they're plastic.
I found that out when I had a small split on the side plastic and needed a new rad. Oh well it was 15 yrs old. E: lasted longer than the hose that burst 3 years earlier.

Sorry, I should point out that the radiator has plastic tanks, too. That's what I meant by "kind of stuck with regards to radiators, I guess". Pretty much everything has those now, since the '90s, possibly earlier.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, now that I'm all settled in Vegas, I'm going to be flying out to Virginia next week for like 3 weeks to begin training for my now job. :confuoot:
Then I guess I'll be going all over the place, since I now have a traveling job!

In the meantime, I've started exploring around Vegas a bit more. Mostly going out into the outer parts of the City and seeing the mountains and desert and stuff.
Today I went up Mt. Charleston:

The Desert Overlook spot is a fantastic sight:

And I also discovered the simple joys of an empty, snowfilled parking lot:

Yesterday I went the opposite way, North-ish out of town.
Nothing too exciting up that way, but I did find the shootin' car:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ExplodingSims posted:

So, now that I'm all settled in Vegas, I'm going to be flying out to Virginia next week for like 3 weeks to begin training for my now job. :confuoot:
Then I guess I'll be going all over the place, since I now have a traveling job!

In the meantime, I've started exploring around Vegas a bit more. Mostly going out into the outer parts of the City and seeing the mountains and desert and stuff.

Whoa awesome you picked a great time to come through, this is the week we got winter!

You should hit up Red Rock Canyon and Bonnie Springs, for some quick awesome wilderness sights. How long you staying around?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

Beautiful!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Wasabi the J posted:

Whoa awesome you picked a great time to come through, this is the week we got winter!

You should hit up Red Rock Canyon and Bonnie Springs, for some quick awesome wilderness sights. How long you staying around?

I'm staying for like the next ~5 years or so.
And I totally do plan to hit up those places!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm staying for like the next ~5 years or so.
And I totally do plan to hit up those places!

Holy lol I didn't know you moved out here. I just thought you were hanging around a few days.

There's a ton of cool outdoors spots.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You, uh, might want to read the last few pages of the thread or so then. :v:
Also go check out the last 11-15 pages of Dave's thread, since he posted more updates from the move.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah uh about that move. How do you think I got to meet both Dave and Sims? :v:

e: huge congrats on the new job man

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 1, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah uh about that move. How do you think I got to meet both Dave and Sims? :v:

Is this how you caught the straight?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

no, I caught that before they got here. :gay: If anything I caught a little bit of gay from them. :awesome:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Still a bit miffed I didn't get to meet more goons when they came through.
Might say something about my life that I'm excited to meet goons, though. Not sure what.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sims, what part of Virginia? If you're anywhere near Roanoke, I should very much like to buy you a beer or three.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 1, 2018

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I keep losing track of this thread; I knew the truck was moving, didn't remember where. Sorry.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sims, what part of Virginia? If you're anywhere near Roanoke, I should very much like to buy you a beer or three.

I'm going to the training facility in a town called Lyndhurst
I have no idea where that is in relation to Roanoke. :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm going to the training facility in a town called Lyndhurst
I have no idea where that is in relation to Roanoke. :v:

Thats an awfully long way from anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The one in VA doesn't look that close to anything either. Appears to be about 90 minutes from Roanoke, give or take.

• Locked thread