Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So Dave has brought this to my attention, this company claims to be selling the "Worlds First" pancake printer,
http://www.guruhub.tv/testing-out-a...gn=fb-us-mo-mrk

but, as we all know, this is a tech that has already been perfected.

This injustice will not stand. #rememberomaha
Discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

I'm going to the training facility in a town called Lyndhurst
I have no idea where that is in relation to Roanoke. :v:

What the hell are you training in? Hiking the Appalachian Trail?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Working on industrial refrigeration systems. This includes working on ammonia systems, and other weird stuff like that.

Basically the biggest kind of big systems, stuff like this:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 6, 2018

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

This might sound like a dumb question but I've always wondered: On huge HVAC systems such as those that flow thousands (or tens of thousands) of CFM is there any risk to getting sucked into the airflow or are pressures too low for that to really be a concern?

I seem to recall I read somewhere that large HVAC systems can flow as much air in lb/sec as some jet engines which led me down this morbid line of thought. :v:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

Working on industrial refrigeration systems. This includes working on ammonia systems, and other weird stuff like that.

Ah, is that the kind of thing that they build near huge railway/trucking depots to basically keep a whole warehouse cold?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Plinkey posted:

Ah, is that the kind of thing that they build near huge railway/trucking depots to basically keep a whole warehouse cold?

Pretty much, yeah. This is the kinda stuff used in factories to keep giant walks in cold, or tons of product chilled, or running process chillers.

Previa_fun posted:

This might sound like a dumb question but I've always wondered: On huge HVAC systems such as those that flow thousands (or tens of thousands) of CFM is there any risk to getting sucked into the airflow or are pressures too low for that to really be a concern?

I seem to recall I read somewhere that large HVAC systems can flow as much air in lb/sec as some jet engines which led me down this morbid line of thought. :v:

I haven't actually worked on something this big yet, but I think for the most part the pressures are low enough that even with moving 1000s of CFMs there's not a huge risk of getting sucked in. Even if someone did get sucked in they're probably just end up crashing through the ducts before they got too far. Despite what Die Hard taught you, ducts are flimsy as poo poo. :v:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

Pretty much, yeah. This is the kinda stuff used in factories to keep giant walks in cold, or tons of product chilled, or running process chillers.

Location makes way more sense then.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ExplodingSims posted:

I haven't actually worked on something this big yet, but I think for the most part the pressures are low enough that even with moving 1000s of CFMs there's not a huge risk of getting sucked in. Even if someone did get sucked in they're probably just end up crashing through the ducts before they got too far. Despite what Die Hard taught you, ducts are flimsy as poo poo. :v:

It's also inefficient to create that level of vacuum/flow unless you really need it i.e. to move an aircraft. If you don't you size bigger ducts and lower speeds for the same flow rate.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's also inefficient to create that level of vacuum/flow unless you really need it i.e. to move an aircraft. If you don't you size bigger ducts and lower speeds for the same flow rate.

This. CFM is duct area X velocity. Not only does creating higher flow use an unnecessary amount of power, but higher velocity means more drag losses, due to skin friction with the duct walls. On the other hand, low-velocity, large-area systems take up more physical space, but are much cheaper to operate in terms of power input. Low velocity means low dynamic pressure means no real sucking blowing power to force you off your feet and into the machine.

You're in more danger from the electrical supply. And (on those lovely ammonia systems) refrigerant leaks.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Previa_fun posted:

I mean... for what it's worth, I've worked in a building with mainframes before (oh god that dates me).

I got a tour of the basement a few times. They had explosion-proof rooms for the UPS batteries (back when they were literal tons of lead acid batteries connected via massive bus bars, and simply walking in there and brushing up against anything was guaranteed death), and there was an incredibly thick door with equally thick glass to get to the air handlers for the underfloor cooling in the computer rooms. He mentioned he'd been told to never open that door, mostly because of the vacuum (opened outward anyway, while the UPS room door opened inward). You needed respirators and full body suits for the battery rooms. :stare:

This was a 1960s or 1970s era data center that was still running IBM System/370 mainframes in the late 1990s (former JC Penney credit card data center; Alliance Data bought their private label credit card brand and associated businesses - I worked in tech support, roommate worked in their NOCs and showed me around this particular facility a few times when he was bored).

tl;dr I'm sure that kind of air flow is very possible, but I doubt you'd run into it much outside of some seriously antiquated settings today.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 6, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enourmo posted:

This. CFM is duct area X velocity. Not only does creating higher flow use an unnecessary amount of power, but higher velocity means more drag losses, due to skin friction with the duct walls. On the other hand, low-velocity, large-area systems take up more physical space, but are much cheaper to operate in terms of power input. Low velocity means low dynamic pressure means no real sucking blowing power to force you off your feet and into the machine.

You're in more danger from the electrical supply. And (on those lovely ammonia systems) refrigerant leaks.

Arc flash is no joke. That poo poo'll gently caress you up good.

Also, for what it's worth, once you get up to a certain size of unit, you pretty much stop using return ducts, and just have a common return, or a filter room.

Have fun changing out like 100 filters in one go!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I mean... for what it's worth, I've worked in a building with mainframes before (oh god that dates me).

I got a tour of the basement a few times. They had explosion-proof rooms for the UPS batteries (back when they were literal tons of lead acid batteries connected via massive bus bars, and simply walking in there and brushing up against anything was guaranteed death), and there was an incredibly thick door with equally thick glass to get to the air handlers for the underfloor cooling in the computer rooms. He mentioned he'd been told to never open that door, mostly because of the vacuum (opened outward anyway, while the UPS room door opened inward). You needed respirators and full body suits for the battery rooms. :stare:

I would imagine they mostly wanted that door kept shut so goons wouldn't go using that space as a storage area/mastabatorium.
I can only imagine what a lead-acid battery bank must of been like though. Yikes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, for what it's worth, once you get up to a certain size of unit, you pretty much stop using return ducts, and just have a common return, or a filter room.

Honestly that is so much easier and better than a hundred filters spread around the place because guarantee there will be 5-20 that will be so hard/awkward to get to that the previous guy never actually changed them. This way you truck a pallet of filters in and just have a steady couple of hours finding the drat clips you just dropped. Protip a big rare earth magnet in one leg pocket and slap any loose hardware against the outside of the pocket to keep it in place.

Then you find one of the drat things is stainless...

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Datacenters still typically have these rooms with huge banks of lead-acid batteries (large single-cell ones in long series for a few hundred volts), but for whatever reason it's nowadays deemed safe enough that they even let nosy customers like me go in and look. Nothing seemed extra explosion-proof and no spacesuits involved.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The best thing about rooms full of lead acid is that it's DC so if you touch it you can't let go, and the available fault current and circuit voltage is truly obscene so short circuits turn into high energy physics experiments very quickly. How many pounds of copper did you want instantly liquefied or vaporized? How many pounds of it do you want flung violently against the wall? OKAY

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

I would imagine they mostly wanted that door kept shut so goons wouldn't go using that space as a storage area/mastabatorium.
I can only imagine what a lead-acid battery bank must of been like though. Yikes.

I did work in a Yahoo data center and both sides had a hallway like this down the entire length of it to feed air into the cold aisle. It was massive.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Customer installed something similar to these Liebert units to support one of our systems. Doors are covered in scary high voltage warnings but otherwise they look like just another large cabinet.

ExplodingSims posted:

These are fun until the customer decides to 'go green' and use fresh air circulation when it's cool enough outside. Then when I go out there to see why all their poo poo is broken I find everything covered in corrosion :fuckoff:

ExplodingSims posted:

Can't find a recent picture and I'm too lazy to walk outside and get one but they just installed four of these on site here. When they built this site they didn't account for future systems so they're in a constant fight to stay ahead of the power/cooling requirements

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

The first time I saw an ammonia cooling system was a brewery tour, apparently Point Brewery in Steven's Point, WI still uses it. The pipes didn't look all that well maintained, to be honest. I figured it was for fermentation control, and chilling the bright tanks, now I bet it also did the cold warehouse storage too.

You can see the German march across Wisconsin by the founding date of the massive older breweries. You can also see the incremental change in technology, too. :v:

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

ionn posted:

Datacenters still typically have these rooms with huge banks of lead-acid batteries (large single-cell ones in long series for a few hundred volts), but for whatever reason it's nowadays deemed safe enough that they even let nosy customers like me go in and look. Nothing seemed extra explosion-proof and no spacesuits involved.

I do a lot of work at power plants, and they have similar battery banks. Anywhere from maybe 30 to 150 lead-acid batteries in series, anywhere from 50-200 pounds each. They have signs on the doors requiring respirators and suits but nobody really bothers unless they're servicing the batteries. And power plants are usually extremely strict about PPE, at least the ones I've been to.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, as shortbus said, you're about 90 minutes from me. You're pretty close to Charlottesville, though, which is a pretty nice college town with stuff to do, things to eat/drink, a city square with neat shops, etc. If beers are indeed your jam, craft breweries are exploding right now in VA. Parkway Brewery, near me, hosts live music all the time, everything from country to electronic ambient.

You seem to like exploring and photographing cool nature stuff, which we have in spades here in the western parts of the state. If you want to take a little daytrip on your downtime to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, my offer of a meetup stands!

Pop over to the VA/WV regional thread, lots of friendly VA goons there that can probably point you in the direction of fun things to do (or crappy things to avoid) close to where you'll be staying.

Link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3032597

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Oh man I gotta jump into the refrigeration chat. I was working on a fire alarm system for a warehouse full of gigantic chillers in Saskatchewan. There's a potash mine that goes like a kilometre deep but there was too much groundwater so they went we must freeze the earth itself and the ground around the shaft is artificially induced permafrost, basically.

I was in this crazy set of brutalist buildings one time too, the whole mechanical room was above two separate crawlspaces, each with their own giant open-air "chimney" I guess and the spaces acted as a passive airflow system for the complex. The airflow in them was insane. The chimneys were built into the exterior walls and from looking you could never tell there was a giant 9 storey shaft that just opened up at the top.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

This is kinda like that data center I mentioned... just really tiny. It ran at least 100-200 feet past what I could see from the available lighting at the door (one light fixture at the door, plenty more available once you were inside). Also, the intake and exhaust sides were severely slanted (about 30 degrees?). I wouldn't want to be in there for a filter change with it running, I can already feel my ears popping.

I was told that even getting the door open required shutting down the underfloor HVAC, due to the vacuum making it too difficult to open the door? It's been nearly 20 years, so my memory may not be so great, but I remember it being A VERY BIG DEAL to gain access to the filter room and battery room.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

ExplodingSims posted:

Are you still in the Lyndhurst area? I can recommend some places to eat out there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

tl;dr I'm sure that kind of air flow is very possible, but I doubt you'd run into it much outside of some seriously antiquated settings today.

So in other words, important government services and University registration systems.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

DarkSol posted:

Are you still in the Lyndhurst area? I can recommend some places to eat out there.

I haven't left yet. I fly out on Monday.

I'd love some recommendations though!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
https://imgur.com/gallery/5bsH8

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I am loving in love. :love:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seminal Flu posted:

I am loving in love. :love:

I want to see it corner. :black101:

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

I haven't left yet. I fly out on Monday.

I'd love some recommendations though!

gently caress... I just saw this. :( I was going to suggest The Shack in Staunton, but they aren't open on Mondays.

Weasie's Kitchen in Waynesboro is pretty legit if you like a greasy spoon. (Waynesboro sucks balls otherwise. I grew up there.)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Friendship ended with DAVE
CARROT TOP is my new BEST FRIEND.

E.

DarkSol posted:

gently caress... I just saw this. :( I was going to suggest The Shack in Staunton, but they aren't open on Mondays.

Weasie's Kitchen in Waynesboro is pretty legit if you like a greasy spoon. (Waynesboro sucks balls otherwise. I grew up there.)

I mean I haven't left Las Vegas.. lol
I'm spending the next 2 weeks out there, so you've got time.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:argh:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

uh....uh.....um.....

:trumppop:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ExplodingSims posted:

For a minute I thought you'd picked up a cheap hooker. The years have not been kind to him.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

For a minute I thought you'd picked up a cheap hooker. The years have not been kind to him.

You act like he's not just a cheap hooker?

Wait....

We talking about C-Top or Larry?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I wanna do real refrigeration again... :(
I started off with r11 centrifugal chillers and ended up depressed with domestics :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Holy poo poo.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvKaC-UDNM

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 12, 2018

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

E.

I mean I haven't left Las Vegas.. lol
I'm spending the next 2 weeks out there, so you've got time.

Sweet Jesus, Carrot Top looks... not well at all. He reminds me of Jocelyn Wildenstein.

And I'll think up some more ideas of places to eat. Really depends on how far from Lyndhurst you're willing to go.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ExplodingSims posted:

Looks like you're pulling a Weekend at Bernie's there dogg

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

ExplodingSims posted:

You mean that Madame Toussade wax replica of the Elephant man?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

How does it steer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

freelop posted:

How does it steer?

Steer?