Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sector Control, this is DICK TEASE control. Just wanted to check you were notified of the def-con systems test today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Initiate War Protocol.

I'm trying to pick this up. For the trip.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I hope youre ready for the full body cavity search youre gonna recieve at the airport bringing all that poo poo on a plane.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Fart Pipe posted:

I hope youre ready for the full body cavity search youre gonna recieve at the airport bringing all that poo poo on a plane.

You think he's not banking on getting fingered?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Initiate War Protocol.

I hate to tell you, but I don't think the truck in question here is OBDII compatible.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I hate to tell you, but I don't think the truck in question here is OBDII compatible.

Yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fart Pipe posted:

I checked a bag like that in 2003 to fly out and pick up an Opel GT.

Yeah, TSA searched the hell out of it.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Pham Nuwen posted:

I figured it would be 14" himself. The Walking Dude (because his car poo poo out again)

Nah... 14" is pretty much the automotive version of Trashcan Man in this epic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Did the same thing for the Justy recovery trip last year, except I left all the SAE wrenches at home and took a minimalist set of metric. Left my BFH at home too, I wanted to buy a new one and it was easier to buy one out there than wedge it into the bag.

Still haven't used the IR temp gun I bought out there, either. I should find that and play with it some or at least make sure the two-cent bargain basement batteries it came with aren't pissing electrolyte all over the inside of the battery compartment.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ExplodingSims what's your PayPal?

or

Do you have square cash?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I don't have square, but I do have PayPal.

larrywiedefeld@yahoo.com

In other news, I'm waiting to for djdanno to hit me up with some new pics of the engine and stuff, to try to start putting together a shopping list for engines.
Been reading up on the stovebolt place about swaps, and it looks like pretty much most SBC motors up to about 1986 plug in without too much trouble.

I'm getting conflicting reports about the bellhousing though. Some most V8's can plug right in, but then this guy is saying not so much:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/bellhousings.html

Of course, remember what people were saying about a school bus earlier? :v:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engine_swap2_302.htm

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 14, 2016

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

Dumb question, why can't you use stud-piloted wheels with conical lug nuts and forget about the whole issue, rather than all this goofy poo poo about making a hub adapter and keeping the flat hub-piloted lug nuts? Are the lug studs not precisely located on the hub-piloted hubs/drums or something? I've never really understood this, if everything is well designed and accurately machined either should work as long as the right lug nuts are used.
The issue (if I'm parsing your question correctly) is the inner wheel on the duals. On a hub piloted system it's not an issue because the hub is a close fit on both wheels. To stud-pilot a dual you either need separate inner and outer nuts (Budd) or a Coined wheel system with alternating male and female flanges on the wheel so that the inner wheel becomes centered because it's forced into the came concentricity as the outer, which then has coned nuts. The latter system is awful and somewhat uncommon outside of 1-tons in the '70s and '80s (and is also the reason many duallies have a wheel position pin- coined wheels require a relief around every other stud to clear the male flanges, and it must be installed with the male and female flanges aligned or bad poo poo happens) and both require a hub, wheels and hardware specifically for that system.

Put singles on it though, and you can stud pilot all day long. Hell, the truck even has conical nuts on it, but they don't act on the wheels themselves, there's actually a plate between the nut and wheel. It's one of those weird GM things, they did that into the mid-'90s on their hub piloted duallies. Likely just cheaper than using flanged nuts.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Turn key LS9's do.

:colbert:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

:siren: A POTENTIAL ENGINE HAS BEEN FOUND :siren:

According to Djdanno, he has someone who's selling a cheap 1967 292 I6. Not as exciting as a V8, but doing some cursory research it looks like it drops in without too much hassle.
If the stovebolt forums were less terrible I'd have an answer by now!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Not exactly a powerful choice, but invincible and easy as gently caress to work on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And it only has to get the truck back to Florida, it doesn't have to be a permanent solution.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Leperflesh posted:

And it only has to get the truck back to Florida, it doesn't have to be a permanent solution.

Yeah, this is the goal right now, find an engine that can work with the current transmission and doesn't require a lot of loving around to get in there.

Once it's back in Florida however, then it's time to put the biggest engine possible in it. :getin:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, this is the goal right now, find an engine that can work with the current transmission and doesn't require a lot of loving around to get in there.

Once it's back in Florida however, then it's time to put the biggest engine possible in it. :getin:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

then it's time to put the biggest engine possible in it. :getin:

So, we're talking a large modular block with cylinders that you can comfortably stand in, and runs on a highly viscous byproduct of petroleum distillation?

It's a big old chevy, there's probably room.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Fermented Tinal posted:

So, we're talking a large modular block with cylinders that you can comfortably stand in, and runs on a highly viscous byproduct of petroleum distillation?

It's a big old chevy, there's probably room.

What else are you going to use all that bed space for?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

What else are you going to use all that bed space for?

To hold the hundreds of gallons of bunker fuel it'll consume on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

But think of the noise that fucker would make...

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I fail to see how that's a problem at all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, something around this size...

And you'll need one of these in the cab, to replace the accelerator pedal:

(that's a caterpillar-built ship engine, btw)

take your pick:
http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/power-systems/marine-power-systems/commercial-propulsion-engines.html

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Look guys, we can talk about which cylinder configuration of 2-stroke Detroit is the correct engine for the truck when he's got it safely home. Until then let's focus on the important stuff.
:v:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 16, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Tommychu posted:

Look guys, we can talk about which 4 cylinder Perkins is the correct engine for the truck when he's got it safely home. Until then let's focus on the important stuff.

I corrected a glaring error in your post, hope you don't mind.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Title says Bad Decisions ITT, not Boring Decisions ITT
I mean at that point you might as well go Dear John. At least then you get a hat.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 16, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's not like I'm about to suggest an AD4 203, even though one would probably outlast that truck by several hundred years.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 16, 2016

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Here's your inspirational pic of the day.

Came across a gentleman driving this 1930 Indian. Asked where he was going. "Huntsville Alabama" Wow! Where did you come from? "Upstate Washington, it's hard to find these bikes so when I did I flew up there and I'm bringing it back home" wow! How are you doing? "Cold".

Just saying, if this guy can drive a 90 year old motorcycle across the nation diagonally then a Chevy dump should be no problem!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ExplodingSims posted:

I love you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can you toss the multi fuel duce and a half engine in this thing? Will it fit.. yes it'll be slow but it'll run on everything from gasoline to Jim beam.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Most of them have had the multifuel compensators removed by now and they are incredibly heavy, fuel hungry, gutless, unreliable pieces of poo poo. Put literally anything else in there. Source: I own one and want it out of my truck with all undue haste.

Make sure you check if the transmission is salvageable before buying a new engine that fits it well. If the trans is junk that leaves you with no real reason not to slam a 350 and whatever random 80s cast iron 4/5 speed it comes with in there.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

ExplodingSims posted:

it's time to put the biggest engine possible in it. :getin:

You're gonna struggle to fit a Wärtsilä-Sulzer 14RTFLEX96-C in there, I'm afraid.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

You're gonna struggle to fit a Wärtsilä-Sulzer 14RTFLEX96-C in there, I'm afraid.

The Wärtsilä 20 4L20 is just 2.5m long, and produces about 800kW. The 7.2 tonne weight might be a bit much for the stock suspension, though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If the 292 has a power steering pump bracket you can sell that and recover the total cost of the engine since you won't need it anyway.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

Most of them have had the multifuel compensators removed by now and they are incredibly heavy, fuel hungry, gutless, unreliable pieces of poo poo. Put literally anything else in there. Source: I own one and want it out of my truck with all undue haste.

Make sure you check if the transmission is salvageable before buying a new engine that fits it well. If the trans is junk that leaves you with no real reason not to slam a 350 and whatever random 80s cast iron 4/5 speed it comes with in there.

Yeah this is what I'm really afraid of. Because if the transmission is shot then this is going to turn into a real problem because as I understand it this truck has a closed driveshaft and switching to it anything more modern like past 1959 is going to require strict transitioning to an open driveshaft.

Which of course means having the switchover the drive shaft the rear differential , tires,etc.

According to Danno the transmission seems halfway decent though.

Tommychu posted:

Look guys, we can talk about which cylinder configuration of 2-stroke Detroit is the correct engine for the truck when he's got it safely home. Until then let's focus on the important stuff.

Nothing with less than 10 cylinders will do. :colbert:
E. Gas or Diesel

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 16, 2016

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm not sure what you mean by closed drive shaft, do you mean it's not serviceable or what? There are a poo poo load of drive shaft yoke adapters out there, you may be able to make stuff work without having to swap the rear end.

But hopefully that transmission is good :shobon:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you mean it has a torque tube?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah.

Here's the best answer I've seen about open vs. closed driveshafts:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/can-someone-please-explain-to-me-open-drive-vs-closed-drive-rear.465627/

Some dude on the HAMB posted:

A closed driveshaft looks like this-the torque tube is a large, hollow tube that is attached (fixed-it doesn't move) to the rear end and the transmission-it physically ties them together. The drive shaft is a seperate piece, inside the torque tube. The torque tube does not rotate-it is instead a part of the rear suspension. Someone much smarter than me will tell us what it does. An open drive shaft is the most common-it serves no function other than to transfer power from the trans to the rear end and "floats" (slides) back and forth a little on the spline trans shaft as the rear end move up and down. Hope this helps. The reason to change is almost always due to the fact that old cars had high gear ratios and new transmissions are made to work with open drive shafts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah this is what I'm really afraid of. Because if the transmission is shot then this is going to turn into a real problem because as I understand it this truck has a closed driveshaft and switching to it anything more modern like past 1959 is going to require strict transitioning to an open driveshaft.

Which of course means having the switchover the drive shaft the rear differential , tires,etc.

According to Danno the transmission seems halfway decent though.

Nothing with less than 10 cylinders will do. :colbert:
E. Gas or Diesel

8.1l vortec. With a blower.

Edit: Lemme specify, a blower on each bank of cylinders. :getin:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 17, 2016

• Locked thread