Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My only regret is I don't have more to give. Also that I missed out on the piston rewards...in for whatever fun scrap you feel like sending my way, I'll cover additional postage.

Depending on timing I can probably send at least one gopro which should be attached to Mr 14"s head to capture all ramblings and work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

It's really not that bad. It'd be bearable if the weatherstripping wasn't so worn out it let wind in everywhere

Depending on how ghetto you want to go pipe insulation and duct tape work great. We had to do this after we got t-boned in Montana and had to drive back to Wisconsin in early January.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

:stonk: That's equal parts amazing and terrifying. Can we add a tyvek suit or something to the next shipment so he doesn't get cancer in the next week?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I'm indoors now lol the trip back will be cold for a portion but there is a southerly diversion mom and dad will help towards so I can see them

I doubt Knoxville is along the route but if it is I'll offer a place to crash and tools/funds to fix things that broke along the way.

edit: Looks like a ~2 hours detour but you'd have more elevation to deal with along the KY/TN border

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 12, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

There's at least one sawzall on site, just chop everything around the transmission to manageable chunks and drag them away put them in the back of the truck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Is that hose the fuel supply line to the engine?

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Just caved in my balls I think I may actually be dying

Sorry about your balls

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

I would recommend some sort of a rear brake circuit shutoff, so at least when it fails you can panic, flip the shutoff, and brake with the front wheels? (Or is there any chance a dual circuit master out of the van bolts to the truck, given GM's laziness?)

If it's a question of mostly useless (or going to fail) rear brakes or no rear brakes I'd stick a bolt in the master cylinder outlet going to the rear. Did that on a friends truck to get it home. Not ideal but better than no brakes at all or pissing fluid every time you hit the pedal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Larrymer posted:

I'd personally just do the easy button LS swap. It'll be cheapest, easiest, reliable, and have plenty of power. Other things would be cool(er) potentially but it would be nice for this truck to not live in a field or shed for the next 20 years.

Kind of what I've been thinking with all the engine talk. Sure there are cooler, more powerful or whatever swaps but LS is cheap/easy/documented?/powerful/reliable. With all the aftermarket support and people putting them in everything I'd go that route. I know if I had a big truck I was putting a engine it would be an LS. Start with a junk yard engine then build it up as needs change or funds become available. Don't know how garbage the fuel economy (if that matters at all) would be moving something this big around.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 12, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

HandlingByJebus Thanks for all the updates and work keeping things on track. Lets get this man on a bus and continue the adventure

If you need any help with funds please let me know, I owe you for the CSL brakes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

14 do you still have the carhartts and other warm poo poo from the last trip or are those being held hostage with your bike?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

Note to self it will absolutely be possible to lock myself out of the trailer
That sounds like a challenge

Does sound like the distribution block cracked/failed. If you can manually pull the cables and lock them in place it may work temporarily but it'll be very hard to pull those without a hydraulic assist of some kind. Maybe you could hook them on something then leverage them. Also check the tracks the thing slides up, if one corner is lifting first it'll bind up the rest of the mechanism. Worst case use the jack and pole method in each corner then find some boards to stick in each corner.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

what is the ballpark weight for this truck and will it fit on a uhaul trailer?

From way earlier in the thread:

Leperflesh posted:

I assumed the truck weighs close to 10k pounds, and certainly if your estimate of 9k pounds is correct, then the max of 10k is going to be very hard to stay under with any kind of reasonable trailer.

So yes there are vehicles you can probably rent that can handle towing that truck, but, check the laws for every state you're driving through because there's a good chance you'd be exceeding the maximum towing limit.
Donkey may be able to pull it but I'm guessing it's too heavy for a u-haul trailer. Think that's why he had so much trouble even getting it moved to Nebraska

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

From a couple replies earlier and this picture I'm assuming we don't need to worry about buying him another stove just for the ability to charge a phone.

DICK DICER posted:

Weather permitting. Yeah I'd work in the wet in Seattle but it's a lot loving harder out here staying warm after getting wet
Once the weather passes through and you can work without getting soaked then hypothermia where are we? Is there a grinder on the way to fix the brake issue or can something else be worked on?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So you're just gonna toss the box into the bed, right?

Right next to the gas tank seems like a good place for exhaust to dump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Customer installed something similar to these Liebert units to support one of our systems. Doors are covered in scary high voltage warnings but otherwise they look like just another large cabinet.

ExplodingSims posted:

Also, for what it's worth, once you get up to a certain size of unit, you pretty much stop using return ducts, and just have a common return, or a filter room.

Have fun changing out like 100 filters in one go!
These are fun until the customer decides to 'go green' and use fresh air circulation when it's cool enough outside. Then when I go out there to see why all their poo poo is broken I find everything covered in corrosion :fuckoff:

ExplodingSims posted:

Basically the biggest kind of big systems, stuff like this:

Can't find a recent picture and I'm too lazy to walk outside and get one but they just installed four of these on site here. When they built this site they didn't account for future systems so they're in a constant fight to stay ahead of the power/cooling requirements

• Locked thread