Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

ExplodingSims posted:

So doing some cursory research it looks like a 350 should more or less drop in. The only issue seems to be fiddling with the steering box, but it appears that's easily rectified by drilling out the rivets and shimming it over a bit.

So, I'm starting to put together a list of what would need to be done to get it road trip road worthy:
1. Replace the engine. A 350 is looking like the best candidate right now, as it seems to involve the least amount of work, and there seems to be plenty of aftermarket parts for things like engine mount swaps.
Also, based on what I've read, it does seem to mount to the stock transmission, so that will mean no having to fiddle around with a new tranny, crossmember, or having to redo the whole driveshaft as well.

2. Switch over to a 12V power system.

3. Replace the rear wheels. The old one are split rims, and yeah, good luck finding a tire shop for that.

4. Possibly may need to add an electric fan for the radiator, will most certainly need to make some sort of shroud though, as it seems like the V8 block is shorter than the I6

5. Inspect the brakes, replace as necessary. I'm thinking, assuming that the brakes aren't totally locked up, I'll be replacing everything on the fronts (springs, pistons, and new drums) and at least the springs on the back.

In short:

Someone please talk me down from the edge.

Fuel system is essentially guaranteed to be unusable, but it wouldn't be all that difficult to redneck a cheap (and large) plastic fuel cell into it. I'd honestly just temp-mount it in the bed. Also, steering. Kingpins wouldn't be fun to do in a field somewhere if they're really hosed.

e: don't forget a potentially seized clutch or something else super fun like that :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Dude those freeze dried bucket meals are loving delicious. Sugar cookies rule hard too

Is there any chili mac? That poo poo is the best of it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

On another note, if anyone's still interested in sending care packages to Dave, any donations of gas money would be greatly appreciated. I know he posted his paypal address up earlier. I've been trying to support him as much as possible here, but the money set aside for this project is almost at an end.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

PayPal does 1 day transfers now tyranid05@hotmail.com

In case anyone else needs it. Donation incoming

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

nm posted:

This is loving murica dammit! Seriously, you can drive a loving semi on public streets short distances with no license at all as long as it is "farm equipment."

That said, it might be worth checking the gwvr requirements and particularly making sure it doesn't have to go through weigh stations in the states you're going though.
Or, you know, register it as farm equipment.

It won't be plated heavy enough for that to matter. There wouldn't be any reason to put commercial plates on a truck from the 50's unless you plan on actually carrying commercial loads.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Its like Pandora is in my brain out here. loving Weedeater- God Luck and Good Speed followed by Earthless- Lost in the Cold Sun

Instead of working on trucks, lets just talk about how much you and I agree on music instead.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Either it started or burst into flames.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Pretty sure the poo poo will start at about 55. 88 might be a stretch.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Went back and looked, 3100rpm for 55 assuming 6.17 rear gearing. Honestly, I don't see how the L05 is gonna hate having to do that, especially since they don't really lose power until like what, 6000rpm? At 6000rpm we're talking like 90mph.

In theory, the truck can almost pass for a low-flying cessna in 4th with the hammer down.

Yeah, gear isn't going to be the limiting factor for speed. Steering and stiff springs are going to be pretty suddenly "OH HOLY gently caress I HIT A BUMP AND CHANGED 4 LANES"
Heavy old stuff is fairly exciting to drive.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I can't think of any combination of horrors as testicle-deadly as split rims and a hi-lift.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Lmao Midwest tuxedo equipped

Hey man, words hurt.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

efb ^

As long as making the engine accelerate involves pulling on a cable, this should always work

There should be hot rod universal pedals at NAPA and obviously online.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

This has been such a magical adventure.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yeahhhh.

Not a huge fan of the "smoke tune" or whatever (maybe it's just billowing smoke because it needs work) but pretty much everything else about that is fantastic.

That's mostly just "being a 2 stroke diesel" more than any bro-douche tune.

e:fb

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

God I love this thread.

e: and the people in it, i guess too

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I'm sure the more poo poo they catch from all angles, the more likely that Dave gets the bike. The more the merrier.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Hey Dave (and friends):

If you like real heavy doom that makes you wanna dig up graves and slow dance with the dead, check out Coffinworm's Great Bringer Of Night.

If you like your doom more melodic, Pallbearer are my absolute go-to. Nice guys too.

Ahab is also a great time if you like slow, almost funeral doom style with good melodies and some clean/dirty vocal styles.

Mmdoom.
Can this just temporarily be the doomchat thread? Dave has good taste in music. I finally saw Pallbearer a couple months ago, and they've been one of my favorite bands for a couple years. The only recent discovery that's blown me away as much is Bell Witch (new album in october, too).

e: actually it occurs to me that once we know the essentials are down there, I could send down tons of music. What's the data plan on your phone like? In danger of chewing through it all from the livestreams/music/etc?

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 12, 2017

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

I would deglove a strangers dick by force with my bare teeth for a cherry coke
Yo, I can Amazon Prime Pantry you some Cherry Coke by like tuesday if someone will send me the address. Any other food/etc you need right now?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Well, poo poo. Their website has no jam and no Coke products except for Diet Coke. Everything is Pepsi.

I've got you down for 3 cans of Chunky Chicken Noodle, 1 can Sirloin Burger with Country Vegetables and a jar of Skippy creamy.

Would you take Wild Cherry Pepsi? What would do as a jam substitute?

Welp, you're more on top of things than me. Send me your paypal address so I can pitch in.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

underlig posted:

Does Pizza Hut eGift-cards not work?

Oh, yeah this is a good and simpler idea

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

At this point, you probably could have just gotten a PayPal debit card and skipped all this ridiculousness

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

You all need to find Jesus/Ohio, because there are IHOPs and Waffle Houses all over the place up here.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I Bought A Truck: Bad Breakfast Decisions ITT

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Lebowski's in Reykjavic, Iceland has a white russian menu with like 10 different kinds of white russian.

The upstairs is also wallpapered with old Playboy covers.

They will not kick you out for showing up in sandals, boxer shorts, and a poorly-closed housecoat.

I knew. Somehow I knew I had a real home out there in the world.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

BISON BC - Take the next exkt

https://youtu.be/rBYbo-9xNwc

Electric Wizard - Dopethrone

https://youtu.be/Ugj6rvDj0Mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Yu8hySOPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlM9wM6rsa0

YOUR MOVE, DAVE

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Plinkey posted:

I could only take like 10 min of that.
Does this help?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyZmK7OXbwQ
:v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I hope whoever sent the jerky included a shitload of dental floss.

They did, it's the beef jerky.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

Truck idles good Map disconnected, but noise and clunking from the transmission. Dies with Map plugged in Wheels still off, not a test drive yet. Where is the fill or inspection port for fluid level on a Muncie 420
I think it's on the passenger side, square plug.
e: yeah, square plug on the big hump in the casting

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 21, 2017

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

there's a loving trailer???

Yeah, I feel like I missed a couple important points here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

What about Miami-Dude

That's you now.

• Locked thread