Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And it only has to get the truck back to Florida, it doesn't have to be a permanent solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, something around this size...

And you'll need one of these in the cab, to replace the accelerator pedal:

(that's a caterpillar-built ship engine, btw)

take your pick:
http://www.cat.com/en_US/products/new/power-systems/marine-power-systems/commercial-propulsion-engines.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm in for a miserly ten bucks. You guys are going to regret having to mail thirty or forty things to goons but that will be entertaining to watch, too.

Do you have a go date yet?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah but no title...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm just thinking of the likely scenario that a cop pulls over to investigate the shitheap truck being actively mechaniced on the side of a state highway at 11pm on a tuesday, and there's any legal paperwork that isn't completely above the board. The truck being from one state, all drivers being from other states, and any registration being from yet another random state. I suppose that cop is not super likely to check for matching VINs on engine blocks or whatever. I don't know, I live in California where you can't just randomly swap engines into things, and I'm also automatically leery of any situation where the "owner" can't adequately prove their ownership of the thing they're selling.

But yeah I guess it'd probably be fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is forever frozen in the year 1976, because that is when cars started consistently having emissions equipment. Before that you're basically grandfathered as to your excuse for being a polluter because it's not reasonable to expect everyone with old cars to make them pass smog standards.

Basically CARB wrote its rules with the ironclad assumption that everyone has a licensed mechanic do all their work on their cars, always, and that if you do something non-normal (like a weird engine swap or whatever) you are probably trying to pull off some kind of illegal intent anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To be honest, well-functioning drum brakes worked fine and still work fine for big vehicles. If I wanted to make the system safer I'd be thinking more along the lines of a two-circuit brake master/slave cylinder system, plus making sure all the parts are in good condition etc. You'll be driving the truck mostly unloaded compared to what it's capable of as a dump truck, so your brakes will probably have gobs of stopping power once they're in good condition.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given the strict protocols involved, she's probably in less occupational hazard than your average automotive mechanic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

scuz what year is your golf?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've got an owners manual from my dear departed 2005 GL, but I just realized I got rid of my old MkIV Haynes. Anyway I can confirm you'll be able to shove all that poo poo into the car, the capacity in the MkIV is pretty big once you fold down the rear seats. You're gonna want to put as much weight forward as you can, to try to keep the car from being too overloaded over the rear wheels, and even with the cushions re-positioned the rear seat won't lay totally flat. If you can strap the engine onto the back of the rear seat with some tie downs or jam something in behind it to hold it forward, that will help. Also obviously drive slowly and carefully, no sudden hard turns, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

This project is out of control. Just rent a truck and trailer like a normal person and drag that home so you never have a girl friend again.

It's far too big and heavy to trailer home behind something you can drive without a class A or B license. So getting it transported home is going to be at least as expensive as buying a temporary engine and parts and getting them installed in a field in Nebraska. Probably. Assuming you don't count the travel expenses. Or the medical expenses.

Plus

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This isn't the Automotive Sanity forum.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Apparently it varies by state?

Here's California's rules for trailers towed with Class B or C licenses:

quote:

You may tow...
A single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or less including a tow dolly, if used.
If the towing vehicle weighs 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow a:
Trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 lbs. gross.
Trailer coach or 5th-wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation.
5th-wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but not exceeding 15,000 lbs. GVWR, when towing is not for compensation.

NOTE: No passenger vehicle regardless of weight, may tow more than one vehicle. No motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen may tow any vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or more gross. (CVC §21715)

I assumed the truck weighs close to 10k pounds, and certainly if your estimate of 9k pounds is correct, then the max of 10k is going to be very hard to stay under with any kind of reasonable trailer.

So yes there are vehicles you can probably rent that can handle towing that truck, but, check the laws for every state you're driving through because there's a good chance you'd be exceeding the maximum towing limit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's a big truck. You can mount that fucker almost anywhere.
Hell just weld it to the front bumper, that would be rad.

...iator.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder how badly you compromise the golf/jetta's frame by sawing off the back half and then bolting in a bed and a bunch of fiberglass panels.

...because I kind of really want that, but it looks dangerous.

e. Oh their website addresses this, they claim it's actually stiffer and stronger than before. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

And with that, I'm pretty sure the UPS man no longer will deliver anything to my house.

14 BAR RIFF posted:

The UPS dude hated us when the Gremlin bought two rust free gremlin doors off ebay and had them shipped.

God, UPS guys who drive residential routes are such huge whiny pussies.

Back when I worked at UPS (which, admittedly, was almost 20 years ago now), every employee had to be able to live 75lbs. UPS normal packages could weigh up to 70lbs, while "Overweight" packages could weigh up to 150lbs. Drivers on urban and industrial routes routinely found their trucks stuffed full of heavy-as-gently caress stuff. We often saw things like engine blocks, whole office photocopiers, exhausts, etc. with just a UPS shipping label slapped onto it. One time a box came down the line that was just a roughly 2' cube, filled all the way up with 1/2" ball bearings. Obviously the box had turned into an amorphous blob, encased in multiple wrappings of packaging tape by numerous different UPS employees performing battlefield triage at every conveyor belt, chute, load, unload, and dock, and no doubt dozens or hundreds of balls had escaped the ruptured corners and edges as the box's condition deteriorated.

That kind of thing was 100% routine poo poo. There was a four foot tall 90-lb mexican lady named Arrelis who worked the end of my preload line who never asked for help picking up the Overweights. She could cram thirty cow boxes into her package car in ninety seconds and wouldn't even break a sweat.

Anyhoo my point is, if your residential pussy-rear end UPS delivery truck driver gives you the slightest guff about having to deliver something heavier than an envelope or maybe a box of eBay mickey mouse ceramic statuettes nestled lovingly into a cubic foot of Styrofoam peanuts, you kick him square in the balls and tell him some guy online named Leperflesh who split 94105 while preloading three cars at once in 1997 says he's a soft shitlicker, and while he's curled up on the ground clutching his nutsack, go through his wallet and find his teamster card and tear it up in front of his face.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 17, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are you still gonna get out there this year, now that the weather has turned?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 OF 14 is obviously a borg, dude.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I'm pretty sure by being added into the collective I'd come out bright pink with big ole sexy lady Borg knockers and a cod piece you could hail the Federation with if I turned just right. But I was thinking a little more something along These Lines. Because let's be fair I'm basically Rincewind.

Well yeah Rincewind is a pretty good match now I think about it. The spell in your head that keeps trying to say itself probably has something to do with biturbos.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sacrifice and blood

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also in all fairness, 14 has to work on his cars while they're parked at the curb on city streets in the rain, and usually not even at his own house, and he's unemployed so his budget is crap, too.

On the other hand he has nothing but the finest of flashlights and snap-on hand tools, so that's really not an excuse, right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Of course it was. 14" paid $60 for a hammer. A hammer I immediately found online for under $40, no less, but even that was excessive.

But hell, he also smokes, and a cigarette habit costs more than probably like two or three fuel pumps a month, at least. A man has his vices.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nah man that came out wrong, When I say "A man has his vices" I meant that to apply universally. I have certainly made an unwise purchase or ten in my time.

A man has his vices means do not be too unkind about it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man you are definitely gung-ho about getting started but maybe you should probably sleep for 12 or so hours?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Sleep is for the weak.

Actually in nature you will find that predators sleep a lot, while prey animals stay awake and alert a lot. Sleep is for the strong. It is the weak and vulnerable that cannot afford it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

djdanno13 posted:

The van is now a troll van.

Completely reasonable for you to not know the intricacies of warhammer 40k, but I can assure you that those are orkish sigils.

e. Space orks are latent psykers. Their assemblages of machinery and jagged spiky pieces of rusty metal shouldn't' properly work, but they do anyway, because the Orks believe that they work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fabricate a sling for the transmission out of an interlocking mesh of zip ties.

There's just about no automotive problem you can't solve with some combination of zip ties and jb weld, right? With maybe the odd C clamp or if you want to get really fancy, a ratchet strap or two.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 keeps an apex predator in his house so no there are no animals. There is only a cat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Ok yeah Danno I saw that animal again and it wasnt a cat skunk or raccoon.

.....serious question do you get badgers or wolverines around here

According to Annotated Checklist of Mammals of Nebraska, Jones Jr. & Choate 1980, you may have seen:

New World Opossum
Armadillo
Desert Cottontail
Eastern Cottontail
European Rabbit
Black-tailed Jack Rabbit
White-tailed Jack Rabbit
Eastern Chipmunk
Least Chipmunk
Woodchuck
Franklin's Ground Squirrel
Richardson's Ground Squirrel
Spotted Ground Squirrel
Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel
Black-tailed Prarie Dog
Grey Squirrel
Fox Squirrel
[leaving out the shrews, mice, voles, bats, and rats]
Beaver
Porcupine
Nutria
Coyote
Gray Wolf
Swift Fox
Red Fox
Gray Fox
Black Bear (supposedly now exterpated)
Raccoon
Long-tailed Weasel
Black-footed Ferret (I believe these are extremely endangered now)
Least Weasel
Mink
Wolverine (supposeldy now extirpated)
Badger
Spotted Skunk
Striped Skunk
River Otter
Puma (probably extirpated)
Lynx (rare)
Bobcat
Fallow Deer
Wapiti (extirpated except on reservations)
Mule Deer
White-tailed Deer
Bison (only where re-introduced)
Mountain Sheep (now extirpated)
Pronghorn

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna go with woodchuck or possibly badger.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not surprising considering the oil has been turned into combistion products and the copper bearings on the cams probably melted

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Annealed and soft. They'll need to be re-hardened and tempered.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spiders was my first thought too, but that doesn't take a week to deal with.

I'm thinking something needs to be welded.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

You can email me for the address.

Explodingsims2@gmail.com

Also, this thread made it to PYF?

e: f,b.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Did you mean to post two videos? because you posted the same link twice

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Get a couple goats or sheep, always have perfectly mown lawn.

Always have a perfectly mown lawn strewn with animal poo poo

djdanno13 posted:

I'm sure I'll find them.... with my mower.

Lol who are we kidding I don't mow grass!

Yeah just burn it. Faster, cheaper, lasts longer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Dude those freeze dried bucket meals are loving delicious. Sugar cookies rule hard too

Someone identify the bucket meals by brand name or something so the rest of us know what to order, k thx

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh dang, mountain house freeze dried meals. I've seen those at REI. They are not cheap! I'll have to try some on the next backpacking trip.

e. flatulence in a can:
https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-House-Chili-Mac-Beef/dp/B00QKP2T7G

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What's left to be done on the war rig? I saw the drive train seems to be together and you were working on the harness. So, complete electrical, then... brakes and tires? Anything else? Suspension maybe?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder what sort of exotic tar or coal-like substance you get when you heat transmission fluid to a thousand degrees or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seriously though you can soften glass enought to shape it or blow it etc. with a handheld butane or propane flame. Although not all glass is the same.

https://www.quora.com/At-what-temperature-does-glass-become-malleable-without-melting

e. scroll down for a table of different glasses. Range is 300F to 2200F depending on the type of glass.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_transition

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 25, 2016

• Locked thread