Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, except "supposed to be" was actually "was projected to be as high as, possibly, depending heavily on track" but everyone interprets "there's a chance it could be this bad" as "it will definitely be this bad," constantly, because people are stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well I can tell you the weather channel had me making GBS threads my pants the day before it hit us. Shoulda known after all the storms I've been through here that it never goes as planned but the doom and gloom got to be a bit much. It's kind of hard to explain to people that haven't been through it, but basically you can't loving predict an unpredictable storm so you just prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Yeah the problem is tons of people just flat out ignore reasonable, balanced warnings, so you have to scare people into action. And then when the less-likely-but-still-possible worst case scenario doesn't play out, people call it a nothing burger and next time there's a dangerous storm coming even more people refuse to act.

Who said anything about it being a threat to Valentine lol.

These two sentences were taken as being directly related even though actually you were just idly noting your own hurricane doom, and then wondering aside from this specific hurricane whether or not the pop-up was hurricane related, but you see, someone could read this and think you thought the hurricane was going to Valentine:

Speaking of..... there's another hurricane coming, into the Gulf this time, should be here by Sat :smithicide:

Is your pop up hurricane rated?

ANYWAY

DICK DICER posted:

THE CAMPER HAS A WORKING THERMOSTAT AND FURNACE

Does this mean running hot water in the sink, too? Can you rig up a sponge bath or something?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh man, that's super generous!

Have you ever taken a hot shower outdoors in freezing weather? It's amazing! Until you have to turn off the water and you are standing naked in the freezing cold, soaking wet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gamma radiation is ionizing. It interacts with atoms as it passes through a material. It's far less interactive than beta or alpha rays, meaning, it readily passes through stuff like lead, whereas beta doesn't, and alpha can be blocked even by skin.

The total absorption of gamma rays by air, then, is similar to any other material, in that intensity of the gamma rays falls off exponentially with distance from the source. In this sense, then, "range" needs some specified minimum level, because that exponential fall-off curve would not (I think) have any limit. E.g., you could be a billion light years away and there's still some chance that eventually one photon of radiation from that source will arrive.

I'm probably technically wrong about that, but the point is still basically valid: you'd have to say something like "what is the range at which a gamma radiation source is no longer potentially harmful to a human being" or perhaps "at what range would a source become practically undetectable" or something like that.

And the answer to that question is dependent on three factors: the absorption coefficiency of air, the number of atoms per volume of the air (which itself depends on pressure and temperature), and the absorption cross-section (how large of a surface are you checking for the radiation to be hitting).

But wait, there's more! It also matters how energetic the gamma radiation is. See, gamma particles can have hugely different energies, ranging from extremely low up to over 10TeV for some astronomical sources, and the mechanism by which the radiation interacts with matter and loses its energy affects the absorption coefficient curve (that first factor I mentioned).

So for example, Wikipedia helpfully shows us the coefficient of absorption of aluminum:

The photoelectric effect dominates below 50 keV, Compton scattering is more important in the range of ~100 keV to 10 MeV, and Pair Production (in which an electron and positron are created by the gamma ray hitting matter, which is awsome) dominates at energies above 10 MeV.

So the answer to the question

90s Cringe Rock posted:

So what is the gamma radiation range in air?

is, really, "it depends."

For more reading, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hey man, goose is good eatin'

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

its fatty as gently caress if you dont do it right though

on a grill, over a pan to catch the grease, you mean? because gently caress yeah they're fatty, that's half the reason they're good eatin'

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

d'awww

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

well uh...

that doesn't seem ideal

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Once the truck is driveable, who drives the truck?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

can you wire up a simple circuit such that when they make contact, it lights up a "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" light on the dash?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How many miles a day are you riding? I mean you're burning mega calories and it's probably really good to be getting into shape and all, but I get the impression you're also kind of touring that part of the state in your free time, too.

Also, is cooking meals from ingredients still not really an option? Like, buy some potatoes, maybe, or rice, or some high carb low cost low effort hot food...?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah yeah I didn't even think about refrigeration, or keeping bugs out of your potatoes or whatever although if you've got a cooler, it can probably at least keep food clean if not cold.

You have a source of clean water on site, right? So, simple hot meals like instant oatmeal or instant rice could still work? It sounds like we only need to keep you in calories for a couple more weeks, should be do-able.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh my, no, a lush tropical environment definitely isn't teeming with wildlife

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

i wanted to send you that much jerkey but it wouldn't have fit in the flat rate box unless I'd left out a lot of the other stuff like the mouthwash or the duct tape

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So are we all buying dog food now as well or

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bet somewhere in America there is a man who is really named Richard Dicer, so that's weird.

https://www.myheritage.com/names/richard_dicer

Yeah that's a real name that's been used a lot

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rosie is gonna be thrilled

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm no expert but those look like maybe hedgehog quills, rather than porcupine. Do they have hedgehogs in nebraska?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean before the whole thread decides that this is now inevitably 14" Doggo,

DICK DICER posted:

Daddo was less than thrilled to see its arrival.

pupper needs to not get him kicked out the trukk pasture.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

99% it's the distributor, not the band.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

I thought they'd all switched over to coil on plug by now

you make some good points

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sims is flying out there, right? Could he buy what's needed in florida and bring them with on the plane?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

That led me to the Uganda outtakes which is great if anyone hasn't watched it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqQy3xVSd9Q

we need War Gin

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Am I correct in recalling that throttle control from the cab is not via pedal, right now? Like you have to drive by pulling on a string or something, right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

do you still have two split rims to do?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chopsy posted:

The points so far as I can see them; if you could help me put them all in the right order and fill in points maybe i can help with a summary:

2016:
-Sims found a dump truck! In Near...Nebraska?
DJDanno volunteered a spot on his property to have the truck towed to, because it's not running and Sims doesn't want to have it trailered all the way to his place in Florida
snip
- Sims found a van and drove it there!
- Sims and I think DJDanno worked on engine swap, but could not complete the job before Sims had to go back to Florida
paste-14 Inch Dick! drives a jeep out to Nebraska on his own, intending to get the Trukk running and drive it Florida in time for Xmas
- ...van motor fits in the truck? Van is home now?
-Dick's jeep is on fire?
-the truck starts! But still needs brakes, exhaust, etc. to be driveable
-gets too cold, Dick goes west for the winter!

-Dick is ready!
-Things happen!
-Greyhoundpocalypse!
-many events happen to get Dick to the truck!
-did the greyhound package get anywhere? Yes, it finally caught up to Dick, after being dropped off at the bus stop they insisted it could not be delivered to, and then FedExed from there halfway around the country in order to get delivered like 50 miles away
-how did we get a popup trailer? An amazing donation to the cause by Tremek from I think Denver? who drove down to NE, bought a trailer camper, got it working, new tires on it, picked up Dick, and delivered it all to the field in Nebraska, along with supplies, on his own dime
-lots of paypals and tools and sleeping bags and a god drat water heater
-and a doggo

e. gently caress, beaten, I shoulda refreshed before posting

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 21, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It only has to make it to Florida. I'd just drive it like that and hope it doesn't break.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is that one of the new brake thingies, or is it one of the old brake thingies

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

It's a new one.

well...

...poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

there's a loving trailer???

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the extravagent waste of blood, sweat, tears, panther piss, bicycle tires, propane, and jeeps in order to put a truck on a trailer is just staggering

I mean if we're honest the trukk is unsafe to put on public roads but this is not the payoff the thread deserved

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I guess at some point, sensible decisions and practical solutions had to prevail. I'm happy for you guys, really. Just thought we were in store for a trukk trekk and sorry that didn't work out.

My apologies for parade making GBS threads.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

looks like its rear end is already leaking all over the pavement

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Since you wanted to go to Canaveral, Monday might be a good day for it.

http://spacecoastlaunches.com/blog/launch-list/

Do you know if Koreasat5A will be a 1st stage return mission? Because that'd be the fuckin' ideal thing to get to see.

If you do plan to see a launch, plan to spend the whole day at the space center. The launch may or may not happen, delays are common due to weather etc., but it's an amazing place to visit anyway. Get the full tour.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DICK DICER posted:

Yep, gonna go make that rocket launch and potentially ride for the Keys

Are you gonna ride on donations for the next leg? Not to be debbie downer but I dunno if your bike adventures are gonna sustain the same level of charity as this trukk thing did, and I hope you don't wind up stranded somewhere. Also, how's the foot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

verbal enema posted:

How much does like an ocean barge horn go for

Dunno but you can probably get a quote from these guys:
http://www.kahlenberg.com/products/marine-signaling/commercial-military-air-horns

e. yes, click "hear it" on this one
http://www.kahlenberg.com/products/marine-signaling/commercial-military/model-kph-130c-electric-piston-horn

I'm sure a horn designed for ships 75 to 200 meters long should suffice

• Locked thread