Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Stitecin posted:

The only way out of this well is straight down.

Let's all chip in for bigger and more plentiful shovels so we can get this party going again

Bad choices are fine. Jail, less so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

Exactly. What we need is another goon to buy and drive the camper for dick.

This is fine. I suspect the taco truck can operate without you and now that you're a rich lawyer, you can do it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

If anyone wants to help, trying to get Dave the supplies he needs for the ride from North Platte to Valentine would be the best.

If we can locate an Amazon locker in North Platte, things can be sent there. Maybe Jeebus can provide a more detailed list, but from when I last spoke with him, he still needed:

Tires
Water bottles/ canteens
Tent/shelter supplies
Travel food

There is not a locker in North Platte. Probably too late to send general delivery unless people use priority mail.

I thought he had a tent?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

There is a bike shop in North Platte, so sending money might be a better way.

Also, need to clarify if he needs tires, tubes, or both. (You also needs sizes, etc, which is why this may be better bought by him). I would suspect he'd be fine with a few tubes, some patches, and a tire boot. The distance isn't that far.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Someone tell me he isn't walking. At least get a greyhound there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not really that kind of lawyer, but I've been trying to find greyhound's contract of carriage. I've found what looks like a summary.
It appears that greyhound generally limits liability to $250. This may or may not be enforceable, but no one is hiring lawyers over $1000 or so, so we might as well treat it like it is. Which leaves us SOL.

They say, specifically "Baggage claims must be supported by claim check, identification, ticket receipt and excess value declaration (if any). Claim check must be surrendered in order to obtain baggage."

My view is that it is best tried in the court of public opinion. Any pressure from a lawyer is just going to result in them defaulting to paying $250. Looks like dave is already heading to the greyhound station. My rec is to sweet talk the person there in person. Phone is impersonal. Dave, this is really important: Do not lose you poo poo with them, even if they are useless. These people deal with lovely people on the regular, the nice person is the one they will help, particularly in the midwest. Explain your situation, show ID, ticket, number, etc and everything you have to convince them you're the right dude. The people at a small midwestern station are likely to be helpful than some large urban station over the phone.

In useful news: If they lose the panniers and the ride is still happening, either PM me here or via facebook, and I still have a pair of panniers somewhere I can loan.

edit: Might be worth checking warmshowers for help. Warmshowers is incredible.
This person is in Ogallala and might be willing to help you with your poo poo situation.
https://www.warmshowers.org/user/100976

There's also some people in North Platte. Touring cyclist are good loving people.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 7, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

As near as I can tell, the "station" he's going to is a gas station/convenience store that, I'm guessing, also sells bus tickets and has a place to put baggage, which makes them "a greyhound station." My bet is that if he can get his box there, they'll give it to him, but getting it there - and having them help him get it there - may be the bigger challenge. This is assuming they find it at all.

I really hope you guys declared full value and got insurance with the box. That's an expensive bike to not insure.

Ogallala Greyhound lists a local phone number while North Platte lists the generic 800 number.
That leads me to believe that it is staffed by someone who works for/represents greyhound unlike North Platte.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Plinkey posted:

I assume it's like Uhaul and some station employee is 'grayhound trained' to hand out tickets and they have a separate register for it.

That's still someone who likely has someone who can call that isn't greyhound external facing CS.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

How much to get dave's license back and buy him a bitchen' pontiac.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tell dave to call one of the warmshowers people I linked ffs.
Explain his bike got lost by greyhound, and he needs to get to ogalla or whatever to get it. Everyone who says "sag" will pick people up of they're able.
Or gently caress, take a goddamn greyhound.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fwiw, rural cops giving people rides on the side of the road is pretty common. I think I've hitched 2 cop rides myself.
In any event, if he's not getting ogallala this way, let me know and I'll contact the person.
If he is there, I recommend dave reach out to them (this is better done by him, ws doesn't really work well in a friend of a friend system) and they might let him camp on thier lawn for a few days or something.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

I just want my god drat bike

Can we ask greyhound to deliver it to a city where a goon is? Then we can send it via bike flights to valentine.

I assume you need a bike in valentine to get from the truck to napa?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

everdave posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787174

Edit:

I am in awe of Tremek. He is loaded down with supplies for operation 14 dick charter

That isn't dick's bike is it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dave's not looking too good on fb dudes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Valentine pd literally asked me if im the dude who burned his jeep down last year

What did you say?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dave, can that bike clear a 700x42? I f so, I got some used gravel tires.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dors dave know anyone in town? Maybe put the word out that if anyone is going to north platte, he'd chip in for gas money for a round trip. I (and I'm sure others) would be willing to help.

Other option: is it at that gas station? If someone sent them a fedex ground label would they be willing to slap it on?
If so and we know the box size, we can probably get it bike flighted for a few bux (I'm guessing like 30). Now that I think about it, that would be the better idea if we can get the size of the box.

Edit: bike flights is $50 plus insurance (assumes a standard large bike box and 65lbs), will take 3 days, which is a bit long, but it is fedex not greyhound so less places to go wrong.
I can email the shipping label to anyone.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 10, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

McStephenson posted:

A Mad Max: Fury Road reaction GIF re:my sincere assertions.

Touché.

edit: then again people are literally working to get a shipping label slapped on a box to "Burned Out Van, Valentine NE" soooooo

The property has an address as there is a locked house there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dude, I need to get the box size. Wanna measure you car so we can get some idea of how big this box is. The box looks like it might be 2.5 feet tall, but the other dimensions, I dunno.

edit: I am slightly worried this box might be too big for fedex.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 11, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think fedex is usually really expensive for big boxes, anyway. what we need is a courier maybe? or freight.

Bike flights uses a merchant account, which reduces costs quite a bit. I think the largest box fedex will ship with 75lbs is like $100.

rdb posted:

Isn't this all assuming that greyhound will release the box to someone other than 14? I thought they wanted 2 forms of ID, the claim check and a DNA test.
Per Dave, north platte DGAF. There are some other logistical hurdles like getting the shipping label to them.

edit: I've messaged a touring cyclist in North Platte to see if he can measure box and stick a label on it.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 11, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So I have a dude who can stick a mailing label on that box in North Platte. Maybe measure it too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Will greyhound release the thing to a dude who's not Dick? I sure hope so. Seems like the easiest, most expedient way to get him his poo poo back.

I'm sort of hoping a fedex label with dick's name and address will seem more legit than just some dude.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So I think the box is shippable. They will let fedex pickup. Its probably gonna be about $100. I'm happy to pick up a big chunk of it, but if anyone wants to help, let me know.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Has anyone asked the North Platte Taxi company what they would charge to deliver it? I can't imagine thy get a ton of fares.
I can't make any calls today (or any time tgis week during business hours), but if someone could call before I go too far down the well on fedex. It has fewer potential issues.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure we can get this fedexed on wed. Would get there on monday, I think.
How much is the poo poo worth?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Box is gonna be 117 with 1700 insurance (which seems like a good idea all things considered).
Just gotta get confirmation my guy is able to get to the gas station tommorow.
Would get there on Monday.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

We are go, go, go

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Isn't it Monday already

(I'm in Australia and unsure of the moon time zone that Nebraska occupies)

Next monday. We need tommorow to get a volunteer who knows not one of us (he Is The real hero), to slap the label on tommoroe. Fedex pickup on wed. Then somehow the rest of the time for fedex to get the box 160mi.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

14in dick has a 110in box. Really makes you think.

edit: maths

nm fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 12, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

HandlingByJebus posted:

Shiny and chrome tools are headed to ValentineHalla. :aaaaa:
This assumes fedex doesn't gently caress up, but at leas now it has $1700 of insurance on it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Ohrmazd posted:

3m makes a lotion that's 34% DEET. Should keep any bugs away from you for a while.

If there is no shower access, I'd avoid the DEET if possible.
Permethrin based repellents in the clothes will actually be more effective (for the covered areas and nearby) and won't cause skin issues due to the whole no shower thing.
Read the bottle. You really, really need to get the clothes wet as gently caress. Remember your socks. This can also work on tents and the like. You need more liquid than you think.

If you must use a skin on repellent, 20% Picaridin is just as effective as DEET (this isn't some "all natural" bullshit that doesn't work), but causes less skin issues when not washed off as far as I can tell. It also is much more friendly to fabrics (DEET eats a lot of synthetic fibers). I used it on my bike trip in the south (with some permetherin soaked clothes) and it worked excellent.
Note, however, that it a synthetic pepper like substance, so wash you hands and don't put it on your face as it will burn the gently caress out of you eyes. Maybe keep it away from the dick as well. Buy the cream, not the spray on (and the opposite for DEET).
I'd try the permethrin alone first. You don't really want to have bug repellent building up on top of each other.
(Also, someone maybe send dave some baby wipes?)

nm fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 12, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah but carrier insurance never pays out unless you have receipts to prove what everything was worth. :allears:

Fedex is slightly less rear end in a top hat to deal with than UPS.

The good news is that with a basically new bike, we'll do pretty ok. Bike flights apparently deals with the insurance stuff and allegedly is pretty good.
I wish I'd had the idea of just recommending that we bike flight this box from seattle to north platte and this thread would have been a lot less epic.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

thebigcow posted:

FYI if it's insured he'll need to be there to sign for it.

He might need to anyway.

He will need to sign for it to get it. However, it is being delivered to the field. I recommend that on Monday dave just hang out until fedex shows.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Savington posted:

I am not a Fedex user, but with UPS, you can literally send a driver with a label to any location and they will attempt to pick up a box meeting the description on that label. If they find it, the driver will put the label on it, put it in their truck, and bring it to the sorting hub. It's called UPS Returns Plus. Unsure if Fedex offers this, but it's worth looking into.

They didn't seem to offer tgis. However, the label has been stuck on apparently.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Box has been picked up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

Good news. Thanks for your work on this. Hopefully the money from me and shortspecialbus covered most of the cost, because you put in all the work on that. Much appreciated!

Yeah, payapl covered all but 17 bux. Goons are good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Future mayor of Valentine, NE

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That's how real delivery companies do it. Thats why you are likely to get it, rather than Greyhound's nonsense.

The distribution centre might still catch fire tho when Dick's package arrives, stay tuned.

:toxx: me if the distribution centre does catches fire.

If it burns down, he gets 1700, so less bad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The box is in St. Paul, MN now. Fuckin lol.

It also went through Des Moines, so it literally has been in North Platte twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Eating nothing but freeze dried food always gives me horrendous gas too.

When I tour and eat freeze dried food, I also eat a vegitable when possible, and take fiber pills.
My gas could kill.
I don't find the mountain house alone to be that bad though unless it is chili mac.

• Locked thread