Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

This thread started interesting, but now... :f5h::stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

:f5h::stare::fh:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I'm so strangely happy from all of this. :glomp:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

I'm helping by facing my butt toward Nebraska and lighting my farts.

Butterfly effect. Either it warms up or another vehicle in danno's compound combusts.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Congratulations, 14", danno, holy poo poo. Well loving done.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

God I can't wait to see what the final exhaust looks like

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

That was incredible

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Watching Fury Road right now and imagining a 14" War Boy crawling along the roof of the Greyhound bus while explosions bloom around him :perfect:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I saw him live briefly, he said he couldn't get the trailer lift up (probably broken). I found a page explaining some of the lifting mechanisms pop-up trailers use/used including Colemans:

http://www.customcylindersintinc.com/article/understanding-camping-trailers-roof-lift-systems

"The Coleman lift system does not connect directly to the cable. the crank connects to a shaft that transmits movement through a chain linkage to a threaded rod. the threaded rod goes through the center of a distribution block that is captured in a track that keeps it straight and in alignment with the outgoing cables. When the crank is turned in one direction or the other, it turns the threaded rod that moves the distribution block forward or backwards in the channel. The outgoing cables are routed through a series of pulleys that are located in the body of the vehicle and inside the large telescoping tubes located at each corner of the roof. In summary, the rotation of the crank is transmitt4ed through a chain to turn the threaded rod that moves the distribution block, thereby causing the cables to extend or retract the telescoping tubes that raises or lowers the roof. MAINTENANCE: The system should be lubricated at the beginning of each season. The pulleys and lift height adjustment should be lubricated very sparingly with silicone spray."

edit: I guess it's important to know: does one corner only not raise? Does only one corner raise? Is the cranking mechanism really loving stiff and hard to turn? One of the former would be one or multiple broken cable, but if at least one corner raises, then the cranking mechanism works. If it's super stiff it needs to be lubed.

stevobob fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 9, 2017

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

It doesnt raise at all on all 4 and makes noise near the worm gear

Probably the "distribution block", or the anchor for all the cables that the threaded rod goes through, is stripped out and the threaded rod just spins inside it. I'm trying to figure out a safe alternative to the threaded rod - if you can brace the jack horizontally against the center spar if the trailer frame, facing forward of the trailer, and you can secure the "distribution block" to the head of the jack maybe you can jack it up that way?

I made a lovely mspaint to compliment my lovely description

edit: image depicts a bottle jack but a scissor jack should work too probably, and be "safer", since the friction of the threaded rod will make it more similar to the original mechanism

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

I know you're only using the center of your shelter roof (which is not sturdy) to raise the thing so you can block it up properly. I know this.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Okay so pretending the hitch is the "front grill," we have total slack on LF, RF, and LR cables. RR cable is tight and under tension.

Well presumably the distribution block cracked and three of the four cables were released, because no way could have 3 of the 4 cables broken at the same time. How much does the top weigh? If the distribution block is the problem, and the threaded rod isn't stripped, and the RR corner still seems to want to raise/lower, maybe you could secure the other 3 cables to the block somehow just to get it up. Once it's up you should probably find a way to hold up the LF corner (opposite to the one cable that works), or even better, all four corners.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Theres some sort of hosed up bent little ratchet key metal piece that fell out of the central crank, no noise any more and it feels like its freewheeeling. The two crank spots are still connected to each other

From the little diagram:

when you say freewheeling, like, there is no chain connection between the crank and the bottom center "axle"?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

All four cables being slack is GOOD. That means that if you can rig up the lift mechanism it should lift all four corners.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

If one corner was jammed, the distribution block is probably stripped of its threads from cranking on it, is my guess.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Do you have a year and model for the trailer? Maybe we can look up parts for it. If we're lucky, it'll be an easy fix (lol nothing is ever)

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

7:30 local time im going live on facebook again to illustrate camper issues, its faster than pictures. That is in 20 minutes time from this post.

The future is now.

Cool, I'm in and out but FB saves live videos for later viewing so I will watch it if I'm not here when you're live, and post my thoughts!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

also, dave licked it a few minutes ago

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

That took no time at all!

Also none of the videos showed anything mechanical. It kept disconnecting.

The key might be under the trailer from when you were on the ground?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Well...poo poo.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

:dong: has arrived in North Blutte

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Its basically the intro to Pitch Black up in this bitch

I just watched this last week

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

I uh....i was too busy riding around town saying hi to everyone

This is a good reason, serious post

Especially if that police officer told people about the Return of the Jeep Immolater

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Maybe he can build a trailer out of the second bike and haul it all back

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Sorry i had a tantrum ive just gone far too long without purpose and now im basically cosmically cock blocked

Dude it's understandable, you're in a field in nowhere with a job to do but no tools. Very frustrating. You have kicked rear end getting here and everyone here respects the poo poo outta you for making a big change for the better.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

This is comic perfection

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

The stream ended. Last I saw you were gonna lube your shaft and see if you could get it up easier?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

What the hell? How does this story keep getting better and better? The random dog loves snuggling and also farts? God drat I hope this gets made into a book or something

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

Dogge's reaction to me trying to get on my bike

I WANNA SCRITCH HIS FUZZY CHIN.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Oh my dog Dave this dog has turned this into a dogdamn fairy tail. I swear when I step back and think about your journey, and how now an adorable dogdamn dog is now a part of it who has apparently decided it's gonna stay with you, I can hardly believe it. Dave for president, djdoggo for VP.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

DICK DICER posted:

ALL HANDS ON DICK

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Copyrights for background music on a livestream seems like a REEEEAL stretch.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

BIGFOOTS 14 INCH DICK

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Since now we know Dick won't freeze to death, I feel a rising sense of calm over the thread now. Well, calmer, anyway, given the main characters

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Sending hella hi5s southwards

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Congratulations to everyone. Didn't expect a heartwarming feeling from this thread. God drat it's got everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

That's a nice drat tree.

• Locked thread