Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Yes, please don't send cash yet.

Rosie is not with Dave. :( he said someone agreed to take care of her. He seemed pretty torn up about it yesterday, which I totally get :( I didn't mention her today.

He has a hammock but not a tent. I suspect that warm layers, and maybe rain gear, are going to be increasingly important. Bike needs tires, he told me too late that they were too expensive - it is in really good shape but could use new rear pads too. Cigarettes and food are definitely going to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Bonus shot of Cherokee memorabilia:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

There is absolutely, 100% a tag on it. I watched the woman print it, attach it, and tape over it to make sure it stayed on.

Dave, are you still at the depot in Denver, or what's your 20?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

"So, the office sent me to drive the guy's luggage out, but I, uhh...."
"Yeah? You get lost?"
"Kinda..... The address is a little....weird?"
"We just gave you the address that was given to us."
"But where is 'by the burnt husk of a jeep scorned, in the shadow of the lumbering beast to be woken.'"
"......alright, I'll give you that, that one's a bit weird. No clue where that is..."

As awesome as that scenario is, Dave cannot get to Valentine without his bike and bags. I mean, he could, but it would be super bad.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, it's not the end of the world.
Most likely he'll just have to hang out in North Platte for an extra day or two, til the next bus from Denver shows up.

This is what I'm hoping, also. We'll need to get the man some Slim Jims. :getin:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

everdave posted:

I've texted him in the past hour will let you know if I hear anything

I heard from him on Facebook Messenger just now.

The Eagle has landed in North loving Platte, NE.

:woop: :derp:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

14" update: he's got wifi in North Platte, but no cell signal. I'm on the phone with loving Greyhound trying to figure out where his bike is.

Comedy modifier: they didn't give either of us the baggage claim ticket, so we don't have the tracking number. This should be high-larious.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I have the tracking number now, have sent it to Dave (which doesn't help him because he's got no coverage). Going to call SLC depot once I'm out of this meeting to see if we can sort it out.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I'm on hold for the SLC Greyhoud baggage department.

e: it's going to be loving cold in North Platte tonight. 4* Centigrade (39 Freedom Degrees).

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 6, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

everdave posted:

I got Dave a hotel room tonight its all
Confirmed

You're a hero. Thanks, man.

e: loving Greyhound SLC keeps disconnecting my call after I've been on hold for 3-8 minutes. I'm about to pitch this phone through the motherfucking window

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

So, for anyone curious about the Walmart thing, it's pretty simple, once we get a list of items from Dave, we can just order them online for him, and have him pick them up in the store there.

I would like to see if we can pitch together for a gift card or something, since they make E-gift cards you can use on your phone (Since you can have a gift card for instore pickup) But I'm not sure if Dave has a smartphone or not.

Sounds good. Dave has what appears to be a Samsung Android smartphone of some description.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

No dice on that front it would seem. According to him he can't get emails, so...hmmm.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Wait, what? He was on wifi earlier today. Does he just mean in general / right now he can't get emails?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Is there anyone on this thread who lives in Salt Lake City?

:siren: I cannot get anybody on the phone at the SLC Greyhound station and if somebody can actually physically go there I will give you the details of the box to talk to Greyhound about in person. If the box was offloaded and not transferred, it will be there. If it just wasn't offloaded in SLC, god only knows where it is. :siren:

Additional twist: I leave for the UK tomorrow afternoon and Greyhound has my phone number on the lost baggage tracker. They'll update it if I call in, but is there a volunteer to be the contact for the station that finds the box? PM me if you're able.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Check your PMs, I live in SLC. You can provide Greyhound with my phone number if you need to as the new contact info. It just needs to get to North Platte, right?

Correct, thanks. Some minor details to work out like where exactly, since North Platte doesn't have a station, Dave says they dropped him at the Taco Bell.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

ExplodingSims posted:

Yeah, the North Platte station is just a gas station/Taco Bell. I'm not sure where they'd keep any luggage if it's dropped off there.

In the meantime I'd tell day to stay near the stop and check in frequently. See when the next bus from Denver is due in.
Most likely what happened was that since it was oversized it was put on a second bus or something, and is running slightly behind him.

I hope that's true. The lost baggage folks have no idea where it is though, and I feel like if that were the case they would know.

A thing that might be a real problem is that Dave's phone number is attached to the package (:quagmire:). Mine is attached to the baggage tracer request. I don't think that Greyhound is super-organized though so god only knows who knows what.

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 6, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Anyone know why Dave's phone didn't start working after someone put funds on it? Was it just not enough for the plan he was on?

No coverage in the area, is what he told me. It's a Metro PCS phone, I bet there are no towers nearby that are compatible.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

:siren: gently caress Greyhound all day, every day :siren:

Anygoon have friends or family who work there? We need somebody who knows the system to advise us.

I finally got SLC baggage on the phone. I almost shouldn't have bothered.

Greyhound won't deliver the box to North Platte, if they find it they're quick to add, because there's no station there. Closest station is Ogallala, NE and I've updated the tracer to have it sent there when/if located. That's ~50mi away. I leave the country in 5.5 hours. This is hosed and nobody I've spoken with at Greyhound seems to care. Dave doesn't even have proper footwear on him. I feel like a complete moron for telling Dave to trust Greyhound with this. :(

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

Im heading to Okalala

Make sure you have all of the ticket stubs and everything. I agree, gently caress "welp it's gone".

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

The bike is not in Oglalla, that's just the closest place they'll send it if (emphasis theirs) they find it. Greyhound does not know where the bike is.

I need somebody to volunteer to be the contact for the Greyhound bag tracer, please. I'm headed to the airport in a couple of hours and just can't guarantee that I'll even get a phone call from them when (emphasis mine) they find Dave's stuff.

PM me your phone number / actual name ASAP if this could be you. I'll give you the details you'll need to interact with Greyhound.

e: thanks, wilfredmerriweathr, for volunteering. :glomp:

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 6, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

Those were set aside to be mailed to valentine due to bulk size back in ballard

I can pick those up and ship them out once I'm back from the UK.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Hail motherfucking Tremek. Thanks, dude, you rule. :3:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

So loving happy to ready this. Tremek for God 2017!

Everdave still the appropriate paypal destination for 14" funds?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Tremek posted:

The Deagle has landed:

Joking aside, Dave is a good guy and I would urge for the end of the the bizarro-world voyeuring and support him getting on his feet in a self-sufficient manner moving forward.

Good luck out there Dave! Feels like it will be what you make it. Catharsis comes in all forms.

Headed back to CO now.

Exactly my sentiments, put better than I did. Thank you.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

The door (and the point) is over there. gently caress off.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Read your own goddamned words you loving troll. Do you have autism or something? Something that prevents you from recognizing your own influence and statements? I don't give a gently caress if you have donated money, or if you seemingly agree with other posters here.

If you made a mistake in what you said, then say so (and perhaps edit your post). If you haven't, then gently caress off forever. This is not about your or me or the other people who disagree with you. This is about helping someone else, and about witnessing an epic journey.

Please, go.

:colbert: Yeah.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

MY PACKAGE JUST ARRIVED IN NORTH PLATTE

Holy.

loving.

poo poo.

I'm both shocked and unbelievably happy to hear this. Best loving thing all month, and I literally just finished spending three days at the Goodwood Revival.

Maybe second-best, because spending the day with you last weekend was pretty loving hilarious.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

Gotwood Revival

:quagmire:

I got a lot of wood this weekend. Not gonna lie. Will post photos / videos soon :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Tricky Ed posted:

Does the package that's now in North Platte contain tools?

Also seconding the idea of posting a CL ad for a round-trip to pick it up. Someone will probably do it for less than it'd take to ship a gigantic bike box (though it'd be good to have an estimate for that cost, too).

There are some tools in the box, but nothing complete. I'm home this evening and can ~overnight anything from Dave's toolbox and my spare tools stash that might be useful as well.

e: can also hit Harbour Freight beforehand to cover any gaps we don't collectively have lying around

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Shiny and chrome tools are headed to ValentineHalla. :aaaaa:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

nm posted:

Box has been picked up.

:glomp:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Don't fill in the basement that's where the poolradon goes

ftfy

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

That looks like a box on the FB group

Greyhound Cargo; gently caress you, it'll get there eventually (maybe) (if you're lucky) (gently caress you poors)

Yup, that's the one. I'm shocked that it was still together.

Dave, did everything that was in it arrive / survive?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I asked Dave to set up a Google doc with a list of supplies / tools he has and what he needs so anybody sending / wanting to send / wanting to fund stuff knows what's en route and what is needed and can we can collaboratively edit it with a view of "reality" (please don't put dick pics in it kthx). Stay tuned.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

"Out for delivery" or "on vehicle for delivery" is what the tracking will say when it's going to arrive that day. "In transit to destination" means that logistics folks are doing their thing and it's circuitously winding around the universe en route to the appropriate delivery hub.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Dagen H posted:

Did you loudly exclaim, "Jesus!"?

:golfclap:

I recently learned that "Jesus clip" is a regional term for an e-clip / circlip so it's nice to feel in on the joke.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I am also ordained. Same story with my sister :(

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

SIR, LASER SHOES HAVE BECOME SELF AWARE

:captainpop: :swoon:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

I am so, so happy to have witnessed (WITNESSED!!) that live.

God drat. I feel... like the Internet has accomplished something.

Also: Dave, man, you look great.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

:glomp: <-- this is for everybody in the thread

It is a Good Day. Today is a Good Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DICK DICER posted:

Nope, there's going to be a thread, but it's not out of expectations of finance. Thing is, yeah. You guys gave me what I needed until now, but you also gave enough for me to go towards something. There's going to be a trailer and supplies and a place to start over when I'm done. But previously, I had my career tying me down, then addiction tying me down, then valentine tying me down. This is the first chance I've had in my adult life,totally free to take me in what ever direction the wind may choose and I'm not going to loving turn that down. I'm riding out the cold weather in Denver, my parents will assist with what they are able to. I even had a few opportunities in Valentine to pursue bad choices I didnt because while I can't promise I'll be perfect, it's on my terms now and I'm choosing to move forward. I want to live again, and I've been given what I need to do so. Now it's up to me to discover what my new life will entail. I'm not going back to wrenching professionally. Let's find out who I really am.

I'm happy for you, man. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the next journey!

e: and Sims - dude - you are an awesome person for letting Dave in on this epic, epic tale. Thank you, seriously.

• Locked thread