Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sims, what part of Virginia? If you're anywhere near Roanoke, I should very much like to buy you a beer or three.

I'm going to the training facility in a town called Lyndhurst
I have no idea where that is in relation to Roanoke. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So Dave has brought this to my attention, this company claims to be selling the "Worlds First" pancake printer,
http://www.guruhub.tv/testing-out-a...gn=fb-us-mo-mrk

but, as we all know, this is a tech that has already been perfected.

This injustice will not stand. #rememberomaha
Discuss

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Working on industrial refrigeration systems. This includes working on ammonia systems, and other weird stuff like that.

Basically the biggest kind of big systems, stuff like this:

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 6, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Plinkey posted:

Ah, is that the kind of thing that they build near huge railway/trucking depots to basically keep a whole warehouse cold?

Pretty much, yeah. This is the kinda stuff used in factories to keep giant walks in cold, or tons of product chilled, or running process chillers.

Previa_fun posted:

This might sound like a dumb question but I've always wondered: On huge HVAC systems such as those that flow thousands (or tens of thousands) of CFM is there any risk to getting sucked into the airflow or are pressures too low for that to really be a concern?

I seem to recall I read somewhere that large HVAC systems can flow as much air in lb/sec as some jet engines which led me down this morbid line of thought. :v:

I haven't actually worked on something this big yet, but I think for the most part the pressures are low enough that even with moving 1000s of CFMs there's not a huge risk of getting sucked in. Even if someone did get sucked in they're probably just end up crashing through the ducts before they got too far. Despite what Die Hard taught you, ducts are flimsy as poo poo. :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enourmo posted:

This. CFM is duct area X velocity. Not only does creating higher flow use an unnecessary amount of power, but higher velocity means more drag losses, due to skin friction with the duct walls. On the other hand, low-velocity, large-area systems take up more physical space, but are much cheaper to operate in terms of power input. Low velocity means low dynamic pressure means no real sucking blowing power to force you off your feet and into the machine.

You're in more danger from the electrical supply. And (on those lovely ammonia systems) refrigerant leaks.

Arc flash is no joke. That poo poo'll gently caress you up good.

Also, for what it's worth, once you get up to a certain size of unit, you pretty much stop using return ducts, and just have a common return, or a filter room.

Have fun changing out like 100 filters in one go!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I mean... for what it's worth, I've worked in a building with mainframes before (oh god that dates me).

I got a tour of the basement a few times. They had explosion-proof rooms for the UPS batteries (back when they were literal tons of lead acid batteries connected via massive bus bars, and simply walking in there and brushing up against anything was guaranteed death), and there was an incredibly thick door with equally thick glass to get to the air handlers for the underfloor cooling in the computer rooms. He mentioned he'd been told to never open that door, mostly because of the vacuum (opened outward anyway, while the UPS room door opened inward). You needed respirators and full body suits for the battery rooms. :stare:

I would imagine they mostly wanted that door kept shut so goons wouldn't go using that space as a storage area/mastabatorium.
I can only imagine what a lead-acid battery bank must of been like though. Yikes.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

DarkSol posted:

Are you still in the Lyndhurst area? I can recommend some places to eat out there.

I haven't left yet. I fly out on Monday.

I'd love some recommendations though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Friendship ended with DAVE
CARROT TOP is my new BEST FRIEND.

E.

DarkSol posted:

gently caress... I just saw this. :( I was going to suggest The Shack in Staunton, but they aren't open on Mondays.

Weasie's Kitchen in Waynesboro is pretty legit if you like a greasy spoon. (Waynesboro sucks balls otherwise. I grew up there.)

I mean I haven't left Las Vegas.. lol
I'm spending the next 2 weeks out there, so you've got time.

• Locked thread