Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

If that doesn't work out, it does look like some local potential engines are starting to pop up here.
God bless abandoned projects.

So, anyone here need a truck shell for any projects? Cause all I want is the engine, bellhousing and radiator.
http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5596491342.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5620128705.html

I'm 100% serious, you can have the body, if you can help haul it away.

The second one looks rough as gently caress but comes with a manual and is pre-1986, so no flywheel fuckery would be involved.
THE SEARCH CONTINUES.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That is a screaming good deal, but I'm shuddering at the thought of how much shipping would run.

And the plan was never for me to fly up there. I was going to drive, if nothing else for v the sake of having a chase car/parts runner. Also towing supplies.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The process has begun.

Offer still stands for anyone who wants a truck body btw.
And an LT1 is still not out of the question:
http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5600710290.html

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 10, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

scuz posted:

The SBC in my area that we had targeted isn't going for what I can afford, and at this point, I've run out of time and money :( I'm a bad AI'er and feel bad. I sent an email to sims expressing my regrets.

:mediocre:

I totally get it though, while it would have been awesome, it also would have been a huge hassle for you, so no big deal. I'm searching for something pre-1986 in my area now anyways.

tater_salad posted:

So.. uh what's going on with the truck

:gooncamp:

Not much. I've been overloaded with work, (58 Hours and on call this weekend heeyyyyyy) so it's kinda taken a backseat. I bought the mounting kit for a 350, and I have a Rockauto cart full of brake parts.
Djdanno was able to get a hold of a tire shop that might be able to hook us up with tires, if 14" isn't feeling expendable enough to gently caress with those in a field.

I've been searching on CL to see if I can find a motor or better yet, a better truck to yank parts out of too, but so far everything's been too expensive/too far way/not running.
I don't want to start buying engine parts without knowing what engine I'll have so, I've been trying to work on everything else in the meantime.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, this isn't a terrible idea at all is it?
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5560192157.html

Dissembled engine, but it come with all parts, and it's pre-86! WHAT COULD GO WRONG.

Comedy option(s)
http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5612682899.html

:v: Free engine stand with purchase too!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think we might have a winner here:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/5636144313.html

Corvette engine in a truck? Yes or no? YOU MAKE THE CALL.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Is there really anything like super terrible about that engine?

Cause it's not like it's going to be the engine the truck has for the rest of its life, it just has to get it home.

Right now my engine qualifications are:
1. Is a 350
2. Runs
3. Under $500

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

But remember everything that needs to be done to the truck now have to be able to be done in a field with minimal tools, in about a week.

The biggest thing wrt to engine swapping is that I wasn't joking when I said I wanted to put the biggest engine I could in there. But anything larger than a 350 is getting into bodywork modification, transmission swaps, and other stuff I'd rather deal with when I have more free time, especially since this is going to be a full teardown resto-mod

I don't really mind blowing $3-400 on a cheap engine now, since I can recover some of the cost by selling it later.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Indeed I have, I had one posted in the thread earlier, but I guess it got sold.

If I could find a cheap beater to yank parts out of, that'd be great, since I could get a few other parts I may potentially need out of it as well. IE Radiator, hoses, starter, electrical gubbins.
I've been trolling Craigslist to find a cheap, manual, pre-1986 truck, but so far everything either has no engine or a blown engine.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Kastein gets it. Cheap N' Easy on the way, ridiculous when I have the time. :v:

I was gonna see if a V10 would fit with modifications, but I like the sound of the L18.

And I do plan a full up resto-mod once I have it home and time for it, full makeover
Discs, big engine, new paint, AC, power steering/brakes, the works.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cost is the biggest factor as to why I'm not shipping. That and ADVENTURE!

But seriously, shipping quotes that I got when I was considering shipping it to Ohio started at $1900. So it'd be at least double that to ship it to Florida.

So far the most expensive item on the list is tires, and that's only if a shop does them, so I think I can still squeak this out under shipping costs.

Not to mention I got $1200 worth of Goonbucks to cover 14" and myself's travel expensenses.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

That and you need the tires anyways when it gets home, so they're essentially not part of the budget for the trip - buy it now, or buy it later, your choice.

Yeah, I might end up getting new rims later on down the road, when I switch over to disc brakes, since I'm not sure how compatible the current bolt pattern in with more modern brakes, but. once again, it's not a huge issue, since I know I can recoup at least some of the cost by selling the rims/tires. And that's like, a year off, so it's no big deal.

Anyways, so if we assume that shipping costs are like, $5000, (I'm figuring 2000 miles x $3-5/mile) I'm pretty sure I can still come out ahead.,

So far the budget is:
Engine: I'm willing to spend up to $500 (Lets add on another $200 or so for flywheel/clutch combo most likely.
Brakes: $250 for cylinders, $150 for springs. Still need to find shoes. Probably throw another $150 or so on there for new brake lines. And a new master cylinder as well
Battery: ~$120
Wiring: Essentially free since I can get it through work.
Transmission: May not need anywork, but a rebuild kit is $250
Tires: This is where things get expensive. Djdanno said he found a tire shop willing to mount them locally, but it's $172 per tire, $25 per tube, and a $40 charge per rim for mounting.
So basically (200+40)x6 = $1440 + tax. I'm sure tires can be bought cheaper online though, so I'll have to look into thise some more.

So, without the transmission it still comes out to about $2800, and since travel expenses are taken care of, it works out :coal:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That wiring job there makes me uncomfortable. Gah.

And I totally thought these things came stock with turn signals, but according to my handy-dandy sales packet, they did not.
http://imgur.com/a/uEanf#6

But from what I can tell someone did add turn signals to the truck already. Not sure when, so I'd be nice to know if they're 6V

As far as a radiator and gas tank go, I'm not too worried.
If we're doing a 350 swap, we'll need a larger radiator anyways, as the stock one can't really handle the V8, so that's nbd.
The gas tank will pretty much be anything that can be strapped to the bed and have hose running out of it. I think might eventually settle for one that hangs off the side, but for now whatever gets it home.

HYDROVAC BRAKES:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

A 350 is shorter so we make up for length with girth. :grin:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Though this truck may have come with a larger radiator, so assuming it isn't all scaled to hell a fan shroud may just do the trick.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

http://treasure.craigslist.org/pts/5624692385.html

A bit more expensive than I'd like and Vero is a bit of a hike, buuuuuut, it does seem to come with a fair amount of parts.

In other news, I ordered a bunch of brake parts and they got to the jobsite. How exciting. :toot:
Which Rockauto magnet I got still remains a mystery!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm trying to shoot for late September or so, but right now it might change, since the company I work for changed it's blackout dates for vacation. I'm trying to shoot for about 2 weeks around then.
Yaaaaay working HVAC in Florida!

In other news, I emailed AND texted the guy about the engine, and he still has yet to respond. Come on guy, get it together!

And in further other news, I went to Harbor Freight today to buy an engine stand and promptly got reminded why I rarely shop there.
They had 3 people running the whole store, and one person working the cash register. On old lady was buying stuff, and for EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. she had to open up her coupon catalogue, and say that X was on sale, or that she was being charged too much, or something else dumb. Finally they opened up another register, and it IMMEDIATELY got taken up by some old guy complaining that everyone was ignoring him, and he needed the staff to fetch some items for him. By the time they opened up a third register and I got checked out the old lady was STILL at the first register complaining that whatever she was buying was $1.50 instead of $1.00 or whatever.

Jaysus loving Christ.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The search continues, as somebody apparently does not want to make any money this weekend.
And my search has taken me down a strange road, one filled....with vans.

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/ctd/5636948632.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5653537922.html

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/5655777033.html

Anybody in the central Florida area looking for a van body to drop a new engine into? :v:
I mean, they come with a 350, and provide working and sleeping quarters...

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 5, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Crotch Fruit posted:

You need to buy the white Chevy with the least amount of windows, it is not only the best value of the three, it also screams Mobile Rape Station the loudest.

That one, especially at that price, is tempting, but it also seems to be the least roadworthy of the three. But I guess at $350 you can't complain too much.
And it does fall under the pre-1986 part, which is pretty great.The sitting for 10 years part does not bode well though.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, I'm not dead, and neither is this thread! Work's been keeping me busy because it's 110* out and everyone wants keep cool. But some progress has been made!

First off, pretty much all the brake stuff I needed has been acquired!
Recently I bought these fine items, A bell housing, and a set of headers for a 350:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272287098821?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291748178154?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And I also bought this, just for fun. And there's probably some good information in there too!

And then today, I went to look at a van.
This Van: http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/5664366227.html

Located in the, uh, wonderful, town of Christmas. It's was owned by a walking rolling stereotype of a Wal-Mart shopper. He claimed it ran good a few months ago when parked, but the battery was dead.
I tried to jump it out, but all I could get was it to click. All the lights came out I'm pretty sure it was out of gas. The entire interior was gutted out, and even the front seats weren't bolted down. Which came as a fun suprise when I went to sit in it. So, I've got a few more things to look at, but I think I'm going to pass on this one.

So far the list of things needed is:

Engine
bellhousing
tires
Brake springs
brake cylinders
Brake lines
Wiring
Starter
Ignition
Battery
Radiator
Gas tank(?)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

And, I've also officially decided that the next truck I buy is totally going to be a Dodge Power Wagon.
I mean, look at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Dodge-...cvip=true&rt=nc

But, you know, priorities. One thing at a time.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Sir, we have a large, unknown object appearing on the radar!

Object appears to be boxy, heavy, and slow. Oh dear...

WE ARE CONFIRMED FOR VAN. I REPEAT, WE ARE CONFIRMED FOR VAN!

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

So yeah, I found an engine. Meet my latest acquisition, a 1992 Chevy G20 Van. Comes with a 350 engine, a new battery, and is basically going to be our rolling parts car for the swap.
Drives pretty good, but I think stale gas is giving it some issues. I drove it around for about 10 mins or so then it started cutting out. It actually has working A/C, which is fantastic, and only only one of the windows works. I had to tape the other up to keep it closed. Body is pretty much done, but I'm not buying it for that. Interior is pretty sweet though, it's been gutted and has Wood floors!

Tomorrow I'll be bringing it home, to do a full diagnosis, so expect more pictures then.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, operation Abuse_AAA_Towing_Service to recover RustVan was a critical success!

(If AAA asks, this is a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer :ssh:)

Van was loaded up, shipped back to Orlando, and I got some halfway decent pics of the interior.
Side note, this thing was so low on gas, the two truck driver couldn't get it started when he had the bed sloped down. Oops.
I put some fresh gas in it when I got it home, and that seemed to stop it's random dying issue. Took out for a quick spin, to drive it to a storage yard it'll be living at for now.Got it up to 55mph. Seems to drive ok. Acceleration is a joke though. I'm sure it needs a full fluid change, new spark plugs, and probably a new belt. But that's for future me to deal with, right now me deals with PICTURES:

Tell me, what separates the good vans from the great vans?
WOOD loving FLOORING!

What pushes it over the top?
SWEET INTERIOR LIGHTING!

Not to mention a FREE Broken CRT tv and a WORKING VCR. HO poo poo SON!

AND A FREE VACUUM!? loving. SCORE.

Little bit high on the mileage side.

And a sweet wood center console WITH a cassette deck.

And when I bought this thing, I thought the radio was broken.
So today, while I was waiting for the tow with my girlfriend, I tested it out. Not only did work, but this song:

This loving song.

Of all songs starts blasting out during the chorus.

It's a loving sign man! :eek:
NOTHINGS GONNA STOP US NOW

Also, while I was waiting for the tow truck, I was looking around the lot and saw this thing:

Is this a stock thing? I"ve never seen a VW truck thing like this. If it a custom job it's very well done.
It's also a manual, so that's pretty neat.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 1, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

slothrop posted:

So for the slow among us (me), please fill in the gaps/correct the following...

ExplodingSims has purchased a truck in XXX

Truck is shipped to goon YYY in ZZZ

ExplodingSims is going to meet 14" in ZZZ to fix said truck

ExplodingSims has purchased at Van in Florida

ExplodingSims is going to drive said van to ZZZ as an engine donor?

14" is going to fly to meet ExplodingSims at ZZZ? OR 14" is going to drive the Civic to ZZZ?

Profit??

That's pretty much it. Plans from here on out are:

I fix the van and get in driving condition.

I get time off work and go up to Tallahassee to pick up my other friend I roped into this.

We set off across the country.

14" meets up with us.

THINGS HAPPEN

Success!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, this project's not totally dead!

I bought a sweet stand light!

I brought this thing to work and it's already paid for itself. I might just buy another one!

In other news, I finally got the title for the Van in the mail.
Hopefully on Monday I'll be able to get it registered and tagged, so I can start driving around to get a feel for it.
So far it seems pretty decent. With fresh gas it starts right up and seems to stay running. But I plan to hit it with a total fluid change, new spark plugs, and give it a through Seafoam treatment and see what that does.
After that, it's time to take it on the freeway and romp on it for a bit.

The only potential problems are that it might need a new water pump. But I guess we'll find that out when we get up to speed.
From what little I've driven it seemed like maintained temp ok.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Woah, I have a thread here?

In truck news:

rockauto.jpg :argh: PICK ONE WAREHOUSE JACKASSES.

But with that purchase that almost completes the list of things need for the swap.
The list thus far:
Engine
Flywheel
Bellhousing
Clutch
brake shoes
brake springs
Brake Lines
Wheel Cylinders
[s] Headers

Starter (Already have one in the ebay cart)
[s] 350 mount kit

And a tire shop has been procured.

So things are starting to come together. I figure most of the electrical gubbins, like the ignition, battery, and whatnot can be used out of the van. Same with like the fuel tank, and any other stuff we might need. Hoses can be bought at the local parts store, so I'm not worried about that.

What I am worried about however, is the transmission, and the ECU for the van. The transmission is in an unknown state. According the the PO and Djdanno, it's in a serviceable state, but I'm not sure how it'll hold up once it actually has to move the rest of the truck. However, since it seems this transmission is popular with the Jeep community, a rebuild kit isn't that expensive. It's only like ~$250. So I'm debating pulling the trigger on that.

The next thought is if it's worth it to try and wire in the ECU and keep the TBI setup, or try and see if there's way to make a carb setup work. I mean, it shouldn't be that hard to rip out the wiring harness and assorted sensors and whatnot, but the main problem seems to be that I'd need to get an ECU from a similar Chevy with a manual transmission. (If I'm understanding this correctly. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I'd like to try and reuse as much stuff out of the van as possible. Plus I'd be able to use the fuel tank and pump out of the van, saving on parts.

The final issue is the radiator. I've read online that since that the bigger trucks came with larger radiators and it should be able to handle the extra heat load from the 350 without too much issue, just need to make a fan shroud to maximize airflow. However, this seems to be a bit contested. And seeing as how this truck has been sitting and has an unknown amount of buildup in the radiator, I'm thinking about springing for a new one. Problem being, while the market is flush with parts for the light duty trucks, this one, not so much. However, it seems that the radiator for a 1966 Mustang will work. These are kinda pricey though, but being that it's a pretty essential part, I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to swap it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've been trying to look up carb conversion info, and so far I'm learned the following:

It seems that a mechanical fuel pump can not be used. The L05 does come with the hole for it, but the cam doesn't have the lobe for it. It would seem that only extended to '90.
But, that seems pretty inconsequential, as an electric fuel pump seems to be easy enough to find and setup.

So that leaves the other points. I'd have to used a different gas tank, since the one for the van has the hole for the fuel pump on the top of the tank. Of course, this is assuming the tank that's in the truck is totally unusable. I mean, as long as it isn't rusted through or have anything living in it a good flushing and cleaning and it should be good to go right? (Yay leaded fuel residue!)

The other potentially difficult part is finding the right intake manifold. This seems to be the recommended one:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2104

Which is a bit pricey. Although, I have read that the manifold for 1988 K1500 will work. So it might be time to do some junkyard hunting.
Fake edit. Maybe not? http://www.partstrain.com/store/det...kHLHRoCVaXw_wcB

And then after that it's just finding the right carb and I'm pretty much good to go!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

If it is just a matter of being able to swap over the TBI system, ECU and all, I'd love for that to be the case. I'm all for what is easiest and doesn't involve buying extra parts.

I just can't seem to find a lot of info on swapping it over, and what kind of issues it presents. Seems most people prefer to go for the LT1, and pretty much everyone just carbs it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm not. I was just asking if it will swap without issue, or if I needed to get certain parts from a truck with a manual transmission.

I don't so I'm not buying anything extra.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I REGRET NOTHING.

In other news, one of the final parts for the swap showed up today! Got my hands on a starter!
It was....quite a bit bigger than I was expecting. Olive Oil carafe for scale:

And with that, I'm pretty sure the UPS man no longer will deliver anything to my house.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

What to know how to make a 2006 Explorer feel like a sports car? Drive a 20 yo van around for about half an hour.

I fired up the van today for like the second time since I bought it. Put some fresh gas in, a a bit of Seafoam, and some injector cleaner. Fired it up, and let it run for a bit, and revved it.
Then I actually drove it around the storage yard for a bit. It's slow, it's loud, and it smells awful, but it runs ok, and doesn't seem to be showing any major problems.

Once I actually get it registered and tagged I plan to take it out and stomp on it a bit, and really see how it handles that. But first, its needs a total fluid change, new spark plugs, a new belt and some other basic maintenance.

But man, this van the squishiest, most comfy seats in it. Its too bad the body is so trashed on this thing, otherwise it'd almost a fun project by itself.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

ionn posted:

So when the time comes to rip the guts out of the van, you will have developed such strong emotional ties to it that you decide to keep it running. I get it.

Nah, if there's one thing I learned from my other failed project, it's knowing when a body is beyond saving. In this case, the van still has a good heart, but its body is too far gone.
Pretty much all the metal around the windows is shot:

Plus, the roof lip is pretty much gone in a few places, the wheels wells aren't great either, and the seals around all the glass is failing, so I'm sure it's got internal rot.
Note the attractive rust streak there:

And the window on that side was busted, so it won't stay up, so I'm sure there's a fair amount of water and rust in the footwell and interior of the door.
But I came up with a pretty pro solution for that:

And then, as much I like the kickass laminate flooring in the back, the guy who did it did a really lovely job, and just ran a bunch of wood screws through the wood and into the sheetmetal below, so I don't even wanna know what it looks like under the flooring there.

RIP Van, you were a kickass van in your prime, and your spirit will live on to power another kickass truck.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

sounds like you should put the seats from the van in the back of the truck for your ridealong mechanic and gunner.

I figure he'd be happier just riding your bus engine that's back there. :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, good news, and bad news.

Bad news is that I managed to melt a pretty chunk of skin off my foot my spilling what basically amounts to acid all over them. But, thanks to that, I got some time off work to finally go to the DMV and get the van all registered and plated! :toot:

So I was able to actually take it on a drive today! Its not fun to drive!
But after stomping on it for a bit it seems to run pretty well. Filled it up with some fresh gas and ran some injector cleaner through it.. Got it up to about 70 MPH, and it seems to handle itself pretty well.
Idle is a bit rough, but that seems to be the biggest issue.

kastein posted:

No go on the bus engine, it turns out that a Cummins 6C8.3-275G is a natgas powered engine not a diesel :sigh:

Still makes 275 horsepower and a whole lot of torque but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend several thousand on a motor, then try to ship it cross country with you fine gentlemen, only to have to rip out my entire fuel system and convert to a natural gas setup. Would make a nice stationary generator set if someone wanted to strap an 1800rpm generator head to it and hook it up to their natural gas supply line, though.

Well that's unfortunate. But if you do happen to find one you like in the midwest, the offer to transport it is still open.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

PROGRESS! So last week, while recovering from melting a good chunk of skin off my feet, I took the van off to a mechanic I've used in the past to give a through lookover and tell me pretty everything that was wrong with it. They basically told me what I had guessed already. A tune up, new water pump, and they said it needed a whole new distributor assembly, which I....don't really see the need for. They also quoted me a $700 for everything, which gave me a hearty Dr. Hibbert chuckle.

So today, me and my buddy did some actual work on the van. Not quite as much as I was hoping to get done, but enough to make it run about 10x better than it was.
Unfortunately, our other friend who has a dedicated car repair shed fell though on us, so we were forced to work in the storage yard, but we got all new plugs, wires a new distributor cap and rotor in the thing.

In case anyone wasn't familiar with what the engine looks like:

And from the inside:

Old spark plugs were....less than ideal...

The rotor and cap however, were pretty arced up. But, some new parts and it runs fantastically. It was much easier to do the plugs than I thought it was gonna be, we really only had trouble getting the two in the front of the engine out. But I guess it's pretty easy when you have access to pretty much the entire engine from the back. :v: Also changed the oil today, and totally forgot to get pics, but the oil that came out was terrible. Very thick, black and kinda chunky.
But it's got fresh oil in it now, and seems to have made a big difference. Runs and idles much better, and now it only seems to stall when it goes into reverse and you hit the gas.

After all that, took it out for a spin. The water pump still screams, but that will be getting replaced + a new belt next weekend, so it's not a huge issue. Actually got it up to speeds of about 55. It accelerates much better now and overall feels a lot more pleasant to drive. Now I just gotta fix the the blower door issue so I have A/C in the front and it'll be pretty nice drivin'

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, today I finally had time and the place to actually tear into the engine on the van. On of my friends erected an awesome shed in his backyard just for wrenching, and he was nice enough to let us use it today.
Today's project was replacing the water pump, which is easy enough, and since I was pulling that, I decided to pull the radiator out and take a look at that as well. And what I found was terrible:

I that was just what came out the first time. Pretty much everything I flushed had brown water coming out of it. Several gallons of water later I got it all cleared up though.
Then I blasted the fins out, and found that those were all plugged up as well. I'm actually pretty surprised this thing was running without any overheating issues as it was.

So then came the fun part, taking the pump out. And it actually was incredibly easy, four non-rusty bolts and it was out! And it looks awful!

So here's the only real issue we had while doing this. Those studs on the pump didn't come out. But, luckily, we were able to run up to Ace and find an exact match. The had the right studs an everything.
Got back, popped those in, and popped a new belt on. Oh yeah, that was the other thing we found, I bought a new belt, I knew the old one was gonna be bad, but it was worse than I thought. It was actually starting to split apart in a few places. (Also, WTF, the belt and the water pump both cost $30, how does that work?)

But whatever, we got everything back on, refilled the system with fresh coolant, and fired it up. Still has a little bit of a squeal coming from somewhere, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was. Runs so much better, and now when it gets going the temp gauge barely moves at all. I even got it all the way up to 60 MPH today, which when I bought it were but the fevered dreams of a madman.

Then me and my buddy realized we'd been working for about 4 hours and both of us hadn't eaten all day, so he showed me a pretty good new burger place over in Ocoee:

:yum:

And with that, it seems like most of the van's major issues are resolved. Still need to find where that last squeal is coming from, and I need to take a look at the AC system. It blows ok, but in the front half it's stuck on defrost, so I guess I've got a stuck door somewhere in there. Probably wouldn't hurt to look at the charge either.

Although I've got to say, I've driven a car without AC in the summer in Florida before, and even with the windows down, it was miserable, but in this thing, with the vent windows, it's pretty alright. Not a perfect substitute for proper AC, but must better than just a regular window.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

And I almost forgot, djdanno sent me some more pics of the truck. It looks really nice in the snow.

[timg] [url]http://i.imgur.com/5DRqXYn.[/url] [timg]

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 10, 2016

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I work in freezers for a living so I don't mind working in the cold. :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, after driving the van around a bit, t seems like this engine might be a bit...underpowered for our applications. However, while I was out driving for work today, I stumbled upon a garage offering a much more suitable option for this truck. Bit of an older motor, and it probably has a few more miles on it than the van does, but looks like it puts out a lot more power.

Trying to work out the mounting situation for this one might be a bit more complicated though, as some cursory Googling doesn't seem offer much info, but I'm sure between 4 minds we can work something out. And of course it looks like the fuel system will need some extra parts. Cooling might be a bit of an issue as well, so I guess it's a good thing it'll be cold out!

Price is a bit higher than I'd like to go, but hey, at this point I doubt I'm gonna find much better.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/XZndncu.jpg[/img][/timg]
:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

IT BEGINS

[Img]http://i.imgur.com/PUDtXWP.jpg [/img]